The Region 2 Boxset - Confirmation Of A Few Details...

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

The Region 2 Boxset - Confirmation Of A Few Details...

Post by Sith » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:12 pm

I was in a Virgin Megastore earlier today, and they had the Knight Rider Season 1 boxset in the 'coming soon' section of the DVD racks.

I asked one of the staff when it was available, and he replied "Actually we have it in stock now. But its not out until early september."

So, it looks pretty much confirmed that the Region 2 release date is indeed September 13th. Further evidence is that Amazon have today added it to their listings:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 87-9606200

They had an image of the supposed artwork in the store, but it was different to the R1 set. Possibly was a promo image only.

And I can confirm a few of the extras that have definately made it over.

Knight Moves:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classifie ... enDocument

Blueprint Gallery:

Still Gallery:

As you can see, they have all been submitted for classification and approved. The full work, including the main menu was passed on August 10th:

RRP is £49.99, but most places should be £39.99 at a guess. 8)

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:54 pm

Funny how the BBFC have certificated the actual episodes.

I really do hope the 'PILOT' audio commentary makes it over here - the one for the "Battlestar Galactica" three-hour pilot episode, plus the special-effects featurette and music featurette never made it over here, and I should not have bought it.

Congrats. on your petition by the way, Sith - mine at the moment has reached up to 209: http://www.petitiononline.com/eqed8589/petition.html

Thanks for the information mate! WHSmith will no doubt have the set running at £32.99, like they did for a limited period for the "24" Season 3 DVD set.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:03 pm

To be honest, that price is a mug. Including shipiping and all it should be possible to get the R1 version for around £30. Its nice to know its being released here, but is it exactly the same spec as the R1 version or more likely, has stuff been left out?

The RRP of £50 (although should be able to find it cheaper) seems far too high though....grumbles off thinking about rip off britain :roll:

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:49 pm

A few of the DVD sites are now showing this image:

That wasn't what I saw in the shop, but hey looks better. ;)

12 though? Hmm...

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:15 pm

ImageImage

You know I've only just noticed that the DVD’s and the game are using the exact same style of labelling on their packaging. I must say that it seems like an excellent way of making all of the Knight Rider products instantly recognisable from a customer standpoint. I'm also left with the feeling that if two very separate products have the same style of presentation for their packaging, that there must already be tentative plans at the very least in place for future releases of Knight Rider products.

From Matthew
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:43 pm

Nice side by side there Matthew. I was thinking of the style of the logo on the KR 2 game box was similar to the Region 1 release (that staggered line in the background struck me as smiliar), but I didn't see how exactly similar it was until I looked side by side. Same font, styling and everything. Amazing, and I agree a good idea. Although I wonder if it's Universals approval or something they've decided on their own.

Also, the Region 2 box looks hot!

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:43 pm

That is a good point Neil, it could be that Davilex did it on their own, but considering how radically different the new style is from provisional labelling for KR2, I have to think that it's a move by Universal rather than Davilex.

From Matthew

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:52 pm

The R1 box design looks much better if you ask me

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:38 pm

Just found out that CDON.COM have listed KR Season1 set with Swedish subtitles but it's release date is november-24-2004.
http://www.cdon.com/product.phtml?prod=393329
I hope there'll be a version with Finnish subtitles too :wink:

-KITTfan-

lofer
Rookie

Post by lofer » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:07 pm

UNIVERSAL HOME VIDEO SPAIN says that is very possible KR season 1 in December in Spain!

OLÉ!
http://www.elcochefantastico.net

... un hombre que no existe en un mundo lleno de peligros ...

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:52 am

still wondering about a possible release date in belgium. does anyone know if the box set that will be released in the uk will have dutch subtitles?

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:15 am

My region 2 DVD set arrived today, which was a total shock to me I can tell you. But with it in my lap, I can confirm that the Region 2 special features are:

Knight Rider Of The Phoenix Commentary,
Knight Moves
Knight Sounds
Knight Rider Under The Hood
Stills Gallery
Blueprint Gallery
Kitt Owners Manual
Knight Rider 2000

It is an eight one sided DVD set, and in an interesting note, the packaging shows Knight Of The Phoenix to be on disk seven after Nobody Does It Better, which is bizarre. It also states that the bonus commentary is on disk seven. I haven't had a chance to put it on yet though to clarify that KOTP is definitely on disk seven, so I’ll get back to you all after I have been to work tonight. :)

From Matthew

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:35 am

extremely odd but hopefully just an error on the packaging.

thanks for the head's up. even though i have the R1 set, i am now contemplating on getting the R2 set just cos i hate double sided discs....
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:14 pm

Hey Matthew, thanks so much for the update!

Single sided discs huh? Very intriguing. Any chance of photos for the packaging? Is it a fold out like the Region 2, or another type of system?

Also, thanks to Sith and Universal, we're getting a couple of Region 2 discs to giveaway in another contest! We'll post all the details once it's confirmed and we have the discs in our hands. (don't want to do a contest for nothing, right? :) )

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:17 pm

neps wrote:Hey Matthew, thanks so much for the update!

Single sided discs huh? Very intriguing. Any chance of photos for the packaging? Is it a fold out like the Region 2, or another type of system?
No problem Neil. :)

They are indeed single sided disks. And I must say that the graphics on them are excellent. Anyone who’s familiar with the Region 2 Star Trek The Next Generation DVD sets will know that when you fold out the packaging those disks have graphics that match up with the background, and I’m pleased to say that that is also the case here.

Within the primary box, there are two fold out sections which open up like books, each containing four disks. When you fist open them up, you are presented with a beautiful photo of Kitt from either season two or three, and in the background, there is a wonderful rendering of part of the late season one dashboard. The whole picture has a beautiful blue hue effect too. When we open it up again, we are presented with the complete late season one dashboard rendering, which is awesomely detailed in my opinion.

I wish that I could take pictures, but I don’t have a digital camera, or a film for one of the standard cameras that we have lying around here. If we still had that Polaroid camera, that would have been perfect as I’d have just taken some and scanned them. :(
Skav wrote:extremely odd but hopefully just an error on the packaging.
Unfortunately, KOTP is on disk seven as I'm about to sit and watch it now. This is extremely disappointing considering the amount of effort put into the season one set, which on the whole looks excellent.

From Matthew

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:44 pm

so they are not in chronological order? hmmm, that's one con of the set. can't think why they would do this.

at least they have a guide to show which episodes are on what disc but that's still no excuse, really.

but i still may buy it for the single sided discs or buy disc skins whenever they become available over here in the UK.

also, let us know what the pic and sound quality is like, whether it's up to par with the R1 version.

it should be :P
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:03 pm

After the info Matthew gave us, i still think that the R1 box set is far superior than his R2 counterpart.

just like Skav have said - there is no excuse not to put it in the right disc (disc 7... WTF?)

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:06 pm

Skav wrote:so they are not in chronological order? hmmm, that's one con of the set. can't think why they would do this.

at least they have a guide to show which episodes are on what disc but that's still no excuse, really.

but i still may buy it for the single sided discs or buy disc skins whenever they become available over here in the UK.

also, let us know what the pic and sound quality is like, whether it's up to par with the R1 version.

it should be :P
KOTP is the only one that is out of order thankfully, but it's still very slap dash of them. I expected better to be totally honest. The guild is only on the back cover of each book like section, although I agree it's a good thing to have. Also, the picture quality and sound quality are excellent. They are very crisp indeed. Although I don’t have the R1 version, so I can’t make a comparison.

From Matthew

choccy
Volunteer

Post by choccy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:29 pm

Ive been thinking hard about getting the region 1 set instead of the region 2 one for a while now.

Although the dics are double sided, the fact that all episodes are in order and the set is actually cheaper than the UK version just makes more sense.

Can anyone actually confirm that the Region 1 set has the same if not more features as region 2???

Thanks

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:49 pm

The same :D

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:31 pm

Ummm, I'll probably look naive asking this...but here it goes anyway. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having single-sided and double-sided DVD disks? I've owned my DVD player for 11 months and I still have a lot to learn about them (I am aware of region codes though). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan
Recruit

Post by Jonathan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:20 am

Finally got my R2 version. French release was on February 22nd.
The DVDs seem to have the same specifications than the UK ones, except they countain english, french, german, and italian audio tracks.
They don't have the pre-intro sequences. :roll:
And KOTF is on disc #7 :shock:
I paid it € 49.99

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:57 am

HondaSiR wrote:Ummm, I'll probably look naive asking this...but here it goes anyway. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having single-sided and double-sided DVD disks? I've owned my DVD player for 11 months and I still have a lot to learn about them (I am aware of region codes though). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You don't look naive asking, HondaSiR. A lot of consumers are confused about many aspects of DVDs and this is largely in part due to each studio being shady about standard DVD formats among other things. Anyway, the advantages to single-sided discs are:

1) Artwork printed on the top of the discs making them less delicate

2) More attractive appearance

Also, it should be noted that single-sided discs are usually also duel-layered (giving the least intricate response here), meaning that there will usually be a slight pause at some point during the movie/series.

Double-sided discs basically can hold twice the amount of information (they have four layers [each side has two layers]) as single-sided but their drawbacks are:

1) More susceptible to damage (i.e. fingerprints, scratches, etc.)

2) Less attractive looking

3) Most complex to manufacture
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 am

Thanks for the info Lost Knight...I'm sure it will also help others understand these differences. As for me, I'd go for the single-sided disks if I had the option. I like having the artwork printed on one side of the disk. And its more durable too. :wink:

Jonathan
Recruit

Post by Jonathan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:32 pm

Does anyone know why they cut out the teasers on the R2 release? Thanks