The Knight Rider 2008 Constructive Criticism Thread

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

The Knight Rider 2008 Constructive Criticism Thread

Post by Matthew » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi everyone,

This thread has been created for constructive criticism purposes. If you haven’t seen our announcement, this thread has been created as a means of tracking what everyone has to say about the negative aspects of the show.

You’ll find a thread for the positive aspects of the show here.

Whilst posting your thoughts, please break them down into individual categories, so that we can easily keep track of what’s deemed to be in need of attention.

Thanks guys. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: The Knight Rider 2008 Constructive Criticism Thread

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:48 pm

Fellow Knight Rider enthusiasts..

In reviewing the recent topics and discussion threads here I realized that I am as guilty of this as anyone, of helping the new Knight Rider series get cancelled with all of our negativity.

As I said I am as responsible as anyone, there are many things I do not like, but there are also many things I do like.

I would like to see us as a whole try and accept and support the show for what it is show, another incarnation of Knight Rider.

Granted many of us a maybe disappointed with the show and feel it has been mis-represented to us. But, I think Mathew is right, in, that we need some constructive expressions of support instead of all the destructive comments.

The 2008 movie was a direct continuation of the original Knight Rider, the new series is not. That being said the new series is being reinvented to hopefully correct the direction of the show. We know what’s wrong and we all have voiced our opinions on how to fix the show, I am giving the producers the benefit of the doubt and believing they listened to us.

But even if they didn’t, the show isn’t that terrible. When compared to some of the shows out there.

One thing I have thought of is if the original Knight Rider never existed would this show be that bad? I don’t think it would be, sure they need to fix a couple of things but not every show does well right out of the gate.

I think everyone, including me, has been comparing it to the original which is really unfair to the new show. I think we need to stop comparing it, honor the original in our own ways, but stop expect the Hoff or KI2T to appear and save the show.

Lets support the cast and writers of this show and help them save it. If the Hoff or KI2T show up hey that’s an added bonus.

I would like to see every one of us support Knight Rider in its newest incarnation, in the hopes it will succeed beyond one season.

So watch it regularly, invite a friend to watch with you, post positive comments, and lets enjoy the show for its entertainment value and not forsake it for the sake of nostalgia.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:29 pm

So the record is clear on this subject of criticisms.
My only real criticisms of Knight Rider are that no one including FORD should using this or any TV show to showcase their different vehicles, as one of the shows main characters. That, and the feeling that NBC and GST misrepresented the series to the fans causing a lot of disappointment in the shows being produced..

I firmly believe that if KITT is a Mustang then KITT’s a Mustang. CGI and transformers are really a cool effect in the right venue. The transformations take away from the shows credibility. A Mustang simply cannot a change into a; Crown Vic,Van, Pickup Truck or Fusion. The physical properties simply aren’t there.

The argument that if NBC and GST promoted the show as Knight Rider re-imagined, a lot more people would accept it for what it is. I believe is a valid argument since Knight Rider was promoted as the original story continuing 25 years later, with Michael Knights son behind the wheel. I believe that is the single biggest issue with the show, it leaves fans of the original series feeling lied to and ripped off.

My excitement and anticipation began with the Knight Rider Movie. It was very well done; it also seemed to follow the original series where the designer of the original KITT was designing another car for the same type of mission. The son of Michael Knight is chosen to drive, we actually see Michael Knight Sr. in the movie. Some elements were missing but I think most people understood the time constraints of the movie, but all in all a very good beginning for a series.

Then the new series began and quickly became apparent that the series was not following where the movie left off, nor was it a continuation of the show. The whole basic story line changed from the movie to the series. Now the problem arises this series isn’t what we (everyone) were led to believe the show was going to be about.

So an anticipation of sorts was built up and many fans were disappointed with the series and not really understanding why there were only vague references to the original series, and no direct correlation of the series history to the currently available facts.

Suddenly there is FBI personnel running Knight Industries with no real explanation of where they came from or why the FBI is suddenly calling the shots. Michael has a memory loss and mysterious past tied to the FBI.

My Constructive Comments are : As in the movie the nanotech enhanced shell could change the color of the car even re-align to form the rear spoiler, but KITT stayed a Mustang. In the Movie there was actual driving, KITT drove himself and Michael drove KITT.
The new series needs to lose some of the CGI, the transformations and do a lot more actual driving and less green screen effects, oh and jump the car, preferable through a wall or two.. That would make it seem more like KITT.

Stop promoting the show as a continuation and tell people the truth. This series is Knight Rider re-imagined. Now it’s the story of Michael Knight a US Army veteran, who has lost his memory and his fantastic transforming super car KITT. Join them as they fight terrorism and bad guys, while Michael searches for the truth to his past.

Honestly has this approach been used in the first place I don’t think the show would have been as poorly received by the fans of the original series, as it was.

That’s the last of my criticisms at the moment.

From this point forward I stand in complete and total support of the current KNIGHT RIDER series.
Re-Imagined or rebooted, my stance on this subject is and will continue to be some Knight Rider is better than no Knight Rider.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 pm

Excuse me as I may repeat many of my previous point here:

1.) The useless flirting scenes need to go because they are completely pointless in every way. They go nowhere, if they had some point, fine, but they don't so lose them. Case in Point the opening scene to the series, the 15 minute fire on KITT that made Michael Knight & Sarah remove their clothing; that was the ONLY purpose to that scene, period! There was no further mention of how that missile was able to lock onto Mike Tracuer since. So what was the point?

2.) Transformations. I can live with Attack Mode, and maybe even the Pickup, especially the pickup truck in particular from 'Knight of the Hunter'. But the Transforming MUST have it's limitations. No Van, SUV/ShoeBox thing, I'll give the pink Mustang a pass due to the serious nature of it's message. The Police car appeared, to me, to be a hologram; It is the only non-Black vehicle we've seen so far, a Hologram would make more sense that Transforming anyway.....

3.) Definitely more nostalgic mention of components/character of TOS. Not in every episode, but from time to time, and not stupid code names/passwords, but 'History', for lack of a better term, linking this show to the past. I would love to see Hoff as much as anyone, but that won't make as much of a difference at this point. Still, it would be nice, as a recurring character. Making what they have work towards the nostalgia is still possible without the Hoff.
3b.)(JUST A MINOR THOUGHT) If KI3T was an upgraded version of KI2T, which since KI2T probably will never appear on the show this could work, he could speak of Missions he was on with MK Sr to MK Jr

4.) More car stunts. We were promised more Turbo Boost, and we haven't gotten but 2 Boosts which were obviously forced into the show in order to keep us quiet. Not good enough. Can't the get a regular Mustang, Put a Shelby looking hood on it, Jump it, using five or ten differnent camera angles and then use CGI to add in objects and randomize the camera angles of the same jump to make it look different every time? Ski Mode. A must. I don't care what anyone says. Again, the same one, filmed with different angles, could be re used for an entire season. The old KITT only really used the right side tires to balance on, except for maybe once that I can think of when he used the stunt show ramp, maybe the could use both side now, with the CGI or whatever, anything is better than nothing. Ejection Seats. Maybe a retractable roof? If you're going to have Transformations anyway, why can't it have something simple like a retractable roof for ejection seats?

5.) OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!! A Knight Rider dashboard, not a Ford Dash!!!! At the very least, an altered steering wheel is an ABSOLUTE MUST :dash: :dash4: .......even if it is the KI2T steering wheel, but at the very least the one from the February pilot movie was better than the standard one they got now..... :oops:

6.) Another thing that takes away from KITT: The Cave, the Plane, the thing he flips around on, all the stupid computer tricks that Billy was doing with the sounds from hours earlier in the Halloween episode????? What the hell???? This ALL takes away from KITT's abilities. When the other garbage they've been doing, not just with the sound waves and stuff, but the computer hacking and all that, I can't even remeber all the stuff they did but it was all stuff that KITT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And ONLY KITT Should have been doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7.) While we're on KITT: ONLY MICHAEL KNIGHT Should be able to drive him!!!!THAT'S IT!!!! Sarah should only fix him, she should always sit in the back seat at this point for all I care!!!!! She don't belong in the driver's seat; and neither does Billy!!!!! I'll let Zoe slide because she hasn't driven him yet, that I can remember. If anyone should be aloud to drive him other than Michael Knight, Charles Graiman, and not Sarah would be more appropriate. And even Charles should be limited to ten minutes of driving every 250 Episodes. But he's gonna die, so that's out. One of the best parts of the original show was the fact that anyone who tried to get into KITT to drive him, he autmatically locked out at the door handle, expect for Michael Knight. So far this KITT's been like a Carnival Ride.

8.) I love the idea of KARR being brought back, I really do. But PLEASE don't make him a Decepticon :!: :!: :!: :!: If you want to make him a Robot, fine. In fact, I, like most people here, find that to be pretty cool. A robot is a neat idea. If they want to make him a Mustang fine, that neat too. The Robot is about the ONLY original idea this show has had thus far. I can even live with a Trans-Am, believe it or not. BUT NOT A TRANSFORMER. That's just plain stupid and unoriginal in every single possible way. CASE CLOSED. It was only a good idea the first time I saw it in the movie called: "TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9.) Getting rid of Charles Graiman? The FBI Agents make sense, but poor old Chuck, who should've had far more screen time to begin with? I actually like Billy, but the should've kept Charles and I could live without Zoe's useless character.

That's all I can come up with for now.
Last edited by Kram061-1 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:16 pm

the show needs to have more stunts and more turbo boosts, the relationship between mike and kiit needs to be more close, and kitt needs to come to mikes rescue more often, i would also like to see kitt drive by himself more often, i would also like them to stop transforming into other ford vehicles if kitt is a mustang he should stay as a mustang no matter what the terrain is. i would like them to put in a cool steering wheel at least one similar to the one in the pilot episode, i would like them to change the dash and make it more cooler looking, i dont like the heads up display on the windsdhield i like the lcd screen from the pilot, i dont like that zoe and billy are always watching and spying on mike and kitt, and i dont like all the inmature sex scenes between mike and sarah, and i dont like all the stupid flirting between billy and zoe, i think they need to get better writers and make the show more serious, and they need to make val kilmer speak with more personality he sounds way too boring. also i think the attack mustang from the pilot was much nicer looking then the one they have now. also i would like to see hasselhoff as a regular part of the series playing the boss part. and i would like to see a semi truck mobile unit instead of the airplane.
in glen larson we trust.

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Question for Mathew....
Do you have any idea if NBC , GST or the writers of Knight Rider watch or monitor the comments we make on this site.

I appreciate a venue to discuss a favorite TV show in an open forum, but are we just ranting and venting..or can some of this conversation actually impact (either negatively or positively) the show?
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Turbo Boost in particular: PLEASE!!!! No more of that stupid internal whatever-the-hell that's supposed to be. It takes too long, and it's already very very very very old after only 2 Turbo Boosts!!!! NO MORE. PLEASE!!!!!! And the actual Turbo Boosts themselves take too long as well. In the 2 we've seen thus far, both included conversations while KITT was in mid-air; It gives the feel that KITT is in flight, not a car jump. If the Turbo Boost is supposed to be in Slo-Mo, fine, but no talking. You can have an entire dialog during a Turbo Boost!!!!!

also, If I haven't said so yet: LOSE that silly HUD and put buttons back for functions and modes. Half the anticipation was seeing the button hit and the excitement of what action sequence was about to follow. Even if it was the plastic model car in that particular scene, it was still built up far more than that silly internal shot.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Tony P Knight Driver wrote:Question for Mathew....
Do you have any idea if NBC , GST or the writers of Knight Rider watch or monitor the comments we make on this site.

I appreciate a venue to discuss a favorite TV show in an open forum, but are we just ranting and venting..or can some of this conversation actually impact (either negatively or positively) the show?
From what I've learnt over the last few months, quiet a sizable portion of the production crew, including GST, check the site on a fairly frequent basis, along with Justin and Deanna as well, so I believe that our voices very definitely have an impact Tony.

Take the calls for David to join the cast for example. I know that it seems like an idea that could only have a positive impact, but for the production crew, those calls could well make them feel as though no matter how hard they work, they'll simply never do a good enough job for a sizable portion of the fanbase due to who isn’t listed in the opening credits.

That's a big reason for me trying to refocus the core outlook of the forum, because negativity for negativities sake doesn't help us or the production, but by listing the things that aren’t working for us in a comprehensive manner, we can bring a positive voice to the negative comments, as we're helping to catalogue these issues for the production crew, who can then take what we’ve said, and if they so desire, put them into play with focus groups, and work to find the fine line that we, as well as non-TOS fans, can appreciate and enjoy in the end product.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:10 am

I was going to quote Kram061-1 on a lot of his thoughts, but there's really one thing that needs to be remembered...

one man can make a difference

Ford's not going to let them make a lot of changes to KI3T's dash. Honestly, it makes a lot of sense to keep the dashboard SEEM to be normal. How many times in TOS did a passenger look at the dash and go WOW!!! I will agree that the Feb movie steering wheel from MoMo has the feel of the original, while staying new. i kinda like the HUD display, but hated the instant chat that popped up without any "Devon's calling" set-up. Also hated that the kitt cave could spy on the occupants...without KI3T saying anything...

As for the transformations, they gotta go. The whole concept behind them makes this feel like Viper to me. KI3T needs gadgets, but needs to remain a Mustang. No Rice Grinder super Kitt either. Color transforming i can take.

They need to basically trash the last 13 episodes, and just forget they ever happened. The biggest problem is Sarah, and her background, ie. being playmate of Mike when they were kids, growing up together, almost getting married, etc... She's always going to be in the background, thinking is Mike kissing those 3 girls for the missions sake or what? I think it worked for Bonnie in TOS because she never knew him as Michael Long. Michael Knight needed Bonnie for Kitt's sake, but Bonnie in season 1 was the ice princess. She knew Michael was a good looking man, but she was dedicated to Kitt, and their banter was solid. Michael Knight wanted more in his relationship with Bonnie, but she shut him down...until she came back in season 3. April and Bonnie really were cut of the same cloth, just different actresses. Michael didn't try going after April, and that chemistry wasn't sexual. Whereas Mike Knight really wants Sarah. And she feels the same for him. Too much back story together kills the relationship for me. There's no tension there, because they have had the relationship in the past.

I really don't like that they will be making Zoe the assignment person. Nothing against Smith, but Charles was the more logical person to be the Devon-like character...unless the Hoff is coming back...I just can't see that happening though, with his exploits and America's got talent show, and who only knows what. Hopefully we'll hear in the future what Bruce Davison has to say about his time on KR.

Not sad in the least about Alex and Carrie. Too many people knew about KI3T...what did they say, over 700 people in the Kitt Cave...c'mon.

Maybe they need to kill Sarah, and make Zoe the tech...Billy, do we really need him? For those RC3 fans out there, did RC3 really add anything to the KR experience? I think he was more of a demographic add for TOS than anything else, and i don't remember many plot lines being RC3 essential.

my 2 cents 4 now

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:20 am

Matthew wrote:
Tony P Knight Driver wrote:Question for Mathew....

That's a big reason for me trying to refocus the core outlook of the forum, because negativity for negativities sake doesn't help us or the production, but by listing the things that aren’t working for us in a comprehensive manner, we can bring a positive voice to the negative comments, as we're helping to catalogue these issues for the production crew, who can then take what we’ve said, and if they so desire, put them into play with focus groups, and work to find the fine line that we, as well as non-TOS fans, can appreciate and enjoy in the end product.

Matt
Again, I appreciate your efforts.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Like any show -- a "suggestion box" can always be helpful.

I know the producers on Smallville actually introduced specific story arcs based on feedback they received from fan mail. Seriously, KR fans -- let's step up. Keep it constructive. No show is perfect, so let's help the producers improve instead of contributing to fans tuning out (and letting the ratings slip).
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:02 am

HisNameisGarth wrote:I know the producers on Smallville actually introduced specific story arcs based on feedback they received from fan mail. Seriously, KR fans -- let's step up. Keep it constructive. No show is perfect, so let's help the producers improve instead of contributing to fans tuning out (and letting the ratings slip).
I gotta agree with him!He's got a very strong point here,and I think NBC should take this into consideration. :)

It's time to give my opinion,and like I just can't help but keep pointing it out is...Don't make KI3T a tool!He's merely a background object,and that's what irks me the most.And Image Turbo Boost please!GST said we would get sick of it.But...I want to see Image KI3T!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:11 am

Okay, I'm new here, and I mainly registered so I could reply in this thread. (Don't worry - I plan to stick around; I will find the introduction area and post there.)

I'm young - 22. Knight Rider was before my time. I started to watch the 2008 version because I thought the concept was pretty cool, and because of the new show, I went back and started watching the originals. I'm a few episodes into the first season of the original KR, and it is awesome! I love everything about it (except Hasselhoff's belt buckle :D ).

Because I've been watching the old series, I think I realize what the new series is lacking - Mike Traceur doesn't really seem like a man apart, an invisible man with no identity. I think there are a lot of opportunities to have this work - remember the monologue in the title montage of the original? The new Knight doesn't match that at all.

Now, I understand, accept, and support that Traceur is a different character than Michael Knight, but the whole FBI scene isn't really doing it for me. Mike Traceur needs to become his own person, something a little closer to what he was in the pilot movie. I personally think that this can happen if they remove his entire team and the "KITTcave" aspect of the show - there are too many dull characters and not enough Mike Traceur character development. Keep some support characters, perhaps - I really don't mind the Sarah Graiman relationship, but it's gotta be pretty distant. I feel that it could create a great dynamic if there were strong feelings between them - it would also flesh out the characters a bit, instead of doing whatever weird attraction dance they're doing now. (Their relationship seems really superficial, purely physical - I'd like to see something deeper.)

K3TT is another issue. I love the old KITT, but I also really like the new one - I accept that they are different characters and I like the differences between the two. The original KITT was built and he was more or less ready to go - he already had the attitude that we all know and love. I like the fact that KI3T isn't as prissy, doesn't joke as much - it gives him a lot more opportunity for growth, which I like. (Remember the episode where they're in the plane, and he talks about his favorite memories?) He's a different character from the original, and I think we should accept that. However, his character development has taken a back seat, it seems (although, to be honest, I've been missing most of the recent episodes) and there aren't enough driving scenes of him. KI3T isn't really a character - he's just a backdrop for the soap opera that seems to be going on. I want more driving scenes, more autonomous action ("Get 'em, KITT!") and more personality through what he does. Make him a character, like the old series.

Finally, the format of the show - they're doing the whole "episode" thing, where it's a different situation/villain per week. I'd like to see them revamp the show into something more like a serial - a continuing story that lasts through episodes. I don't mean something as in-depth or confusing as 24 (you really can't just step into that show mid-point), but just something with an overarcing plot that can be followed through the episodes. I think that would be great, and it would give the show a slightly more serious tone.

So, really, how can this all fit in the show? I'd like to see more Mike and KI3T, less of the lesser characters, and a serial format. I'd like Mike to be on his own, kind of the "Invisible Man" that the original series alluded to. How could this be done? Well, here's my idea - a two-part episode, or a to-be-continued, where the KITTcave is attacked, bombed, or something of that matter, something really big, for reasons currently unknown. The characters consisting of Mike's unit are either lost or killed in the catastrophe (perhaps some survive) and Mike barely makes it out with KI3T. (Sarah is also lost.) KITT, due to damage, or whatever, has lost a few abilities, and is no longer a transformer. Mike makes it his mission to find Sarah, and the attackers who took out his base....which will, naturally, lead him and KI3T through a series of episodes while he does some investigatin' and turbo boostin'.

I don't know. Stupid idea? I guess it's a little far-fetched (and I'm not sure if this is the place to post this) but I think it could work. It'd bring it a little closer to the original series, except Mike would pretty much answer to nobody except himself. The relationship between Mike and KI3T would grow due to more character interaction, and there'd be a chance for a lot more action - however, there would also be great opportunities for slower plot advancement stories. Additionally, due to this format, it'd be possible to have the side-stories, like Mike looking for answers and stumbling into a situation that requires his help. I don't know. At the least, it might make an interesting Season 2 and 3.

In short, I love the old KR, or at least what I've seen so far - and I think the new KR has potential to be something great. It needs more KI3T character development defined by dialogue and physical actions, it needs an independent Mike Traceur, and it needs a more engaging format to keep viewers interested. That's my two cents.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 am

Uh-oh, doesn't look like you can edit posts here....so sorry for the double post. Another thing, though, why an attack mode? What's the point? KI3T has regenerative nanoskin, and is pretty damn tough. Why does it need an attack mode? I mean, it seems cool, but it doesn't really have a point since (as far as I know) KI3T doesn't really unlock any new abilities when he's in attack mode. I think he has more weaponry, but I'm not sure why that can't come out in normal mode (and I'm not sure that he really needs it anyway, does he?) Seems more like that old show Viper to me.

I don't know. Attack mode is okay, it's not a huge deal, but please, please, lose the triple-barrel turbochargers on the hood - they stick out like a sore thumb. Remove them, redesign them, do something, but don't leave them the way they are. I don't know about anyone else, but it just hurts to look at those.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:09 am

What bothers me most are that a lot of things that are shown in the show are not believable.
Starting with all the transformations. I don't mind KITT disguising as other cars, I even like that he always stays black and keeps the scanner. But the way he transforms looks bad. Flying fenders, parts appearing out of nowhere, ignoring all the parts a car has like engine, transmission etc., this is not my kind of thing. And only transform if it necessary not just to promote another Ford car.

The second thing I really hate is the crappy neon, ari intake tube, drag wheel attack mode. Looks like a cheap toy, like plastic, I cannot believe this can be an indestructable super car. And it's just ugly. Apart from that the attack mode doesn't make sense storywise. KITT should be able to do all the things he does in normal mode, so why attack mode? Even the name is a bad choice, since KITT is no attack vehicle.
Well, I guess I could live with attack mode, if it wasn't so ugly. It's too much cheap over-tuned fast and furious car.

And the last thing I would change on KITT is his interiour. Make it less standard and more special with "WOW, look at this dash" or "what is this, is it a command center or a car" effect.

For the story I guess they heard our wishes. Bring back FLAG, remove all this official FBI, CIA stuff and stop rescuing the world from super duper terrorists that are no real threat at all. Help the normal people, makes it more likable.

And I so hope they get rid of the KITT cave, or SSC (or Fortress of Suck), this limits the movement of KITT and looks like a cheap starship command.
Instead give us a mobile base KITT can always enter and leave, so a semi would be great, better than a plane which has to start and land and can't park anywhere ;-)

Apart from that I would like to see more stunts. All kind of stunts, ski mode, car chases, especially turbo boost and do it with less or better green screen and cgi.

And don't give KITT weapons, the laser and greppling hook are enough. No weapons of mass destruction like rockets, cannons and such. Again, KITT is no attack vehicle.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:11 am

Question for Mathew....

It is obvious that the site is being monitored on a regular basis. If they were to claim otherwise you shouldn't even be listening because it's a huge asset to have a forum discussing Knight Rider in such great depth. A tv producer that doesn't take the advantage of those things would be the first guy in history.
I'm not sure if you remember this but in one of GST's first interviews he said something along the lines of - there are different types of viewers, one of those consists of people that are die-hard fans of the old series. The second type involves people that don't know what Knight Rider is all about and thinks it's cool.

Now whether this statement can be counted as a proof of sites like KRO to be monitored I don't know, probably not. But it sure gives you a sense of being observed since they're aware of the rants. If everyone would love every single aspect about KR08 GST would probably leave those words in his back pocket.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:11 am

Okay - for me, the series changed in tone for the better with the episodes "A Hard Day's Knight","Knight of the Hunter" and "Knight of the Living Dead".

Up until those, I'd been watching the series more out of curiosity and for the name "Knight Rider".

It was the above mentioned episodes which made me think that it can potentially become a good series in it's own right without trading on the past.

The thing that elevated those episodes was the WRITING and this is what it needs to concentrate on more if the show is to succeed.

"A Hard Day's Knight" in particular stands out, with a good plot, good pacing and some great direction, action and special effects sequences.

I'm sorry to say that for me, the other episodes have a real "filler" feel, almost as if the production is treading water until - well, whatever. Maybe they were waiting for the re-reboot, I don't know.

Hopefully, the re-tooling of the new series after it's hiatus will work, as long as the writing improves and some more intrigue can be introduced - there is so much that can be done with Mike's shady past that feels like it's been sidestepped quite a lot of the time.

Give us more of that!

Justin, Deanna and Paul are doing a great job, Justin particularly so - I find him more convincing than I expected, to be honest and I even like the cheesy lines they all get to deliver - Particularly KITT's dialogue - that's made me laugh out loud several times.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Yes, it should be made clear none of this is fault of the cast. They're only adhering to the scripts given to them. Deanna Russo is very good, but I just cannot see how her character became a killing machine on the same level as an actual soldier.....That is unrealistic. TOS was obviously unrealistic, yet at the same time, it was almost believable. The show is neither, and that's where it fails.
And the storyline is written by the writers, not the actors. They just potray these particular characters. The lack of action is just a part of the problem. It's the immaturity of the characters, who are all very shallow & weak, that hurts the show.
See, when people are in danger of dying, I cannot comprehend why other people, who are supposed to be their friends, can make stupid comment/jokes about the situation. It wouldn't, or at least, it shouldn't happen. It's just plain stupid.

Also, I very much like Val Kilmer as the new KITT, but please don't do that woman's voice ever again, that was just an unfunny joke.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 pm

I can’t say I’m really qualified to give advice that would keep KR on the air. But I do know that I very much want to see Knight Rider on the air for years to come. It’s often the case that a person’s true feelings get lost amongst so many varied individual posts. But I think that for the most part we are here because we love the show and we strongly defend it when out in public. Here, seemingly amongst ourselves, we are oftentimes more candid.

We have been deeply hurt by failed attempts like Team Knight Rider in the past, and so it is understandable that we would beg and plead with (or even occasionally be a little mad at) those involved that they might make this the very best show they can.

I will say I often forget that I’m not just talking to the ten or so people who are posting. There are a lot of people both in the show or simply fans that don’t post. I must say it is quite an odd experience to come across people who you don’t know but know you well by what you have said here.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:44 am

One of the things that I have missed in recent episodes and this may sound crazy and it won't make that much difference in my viewing pleasure...

I miss the lasers...You know the green CGI lasers that would shower KITT after he pulled onto the gyroscope...

I kept expecting to see them and haven't lately. I believed them to be a diagnostic tool.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 am

Well I have said it before and I'll say it agian.

They have dug such a great hole and already buried Knight Rider, it will be lucky if it makes it to the end of this season, let alone continue.

Basicly it's to late they screwed it up the end.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 am

whet wrote:Well I have said it before and I'll say it agian.

They have dug such a great hole and already buried Knight Rider, it will be lucky if it makes it to the end of this season, let alone continue.

Basicly it's to late they screwed it up the end.
How is that, in anyway, contructive?
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:57 am

Well there is no way to be construvtive about this excuse for Knight Rider.
I've never been so disapointed and mad about anything.

And like I say, it's to late now the damage is done it's over.

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:40 pm

I think that they really need to have KR08 centered around the characters of Charles & Sarah Graiman & Mike & K.I.3.T. to really bring back that feel of TOS reminiscent of the characters Devon, Bonnie, Micheal & K.I.2.T.
So in essence, they should keep Bruce Davidson as a cast regular and just ax everyone else because with having all of those additional characters on the show (i.e. Torres, Rivai, Billy & Zoe), in my opinion it throws an episodes plot offcourse because there are too many stories to tell about each individual. And plus, "The Graimans along with Mike are the only real links to the past of TOS", everyone else is irrelevant.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:50 pm

Well, I can say here's what I'm hoping for a reboot:

1. Less inuendo and concentration on relationships. Even the original Michael Knight didn't do THAT much! It just takes a lot out of the show.

2. More stronger storylines. Like Knight of the Living Dead. Most of the characters were really strong in that one. I like a show that leaves you wondering what comes next at the end of the show. But not to the point where you're left hanging until next week. It's got to be a balance. And plenty of KITT-stunts as well as the car talking. I mean, I always saw Knight Rider as more about the car than the humans.

3. Speaking of humans and character development, as mentioned I liked Knight of the Living Dead for that. The only character that I felt didn't quite develop still was Carrie Rivai (I talked about this in Podcast #7, actually). She really doesn't have anything interesting to add to the team, character-wise. Not even a connection to the past KR. And now that they will cut her character out altogether, it's a shame since that character will never be developed more.

4. As much as I would like it to be about KITT, I also am saddened to see the cuts of Alex Torres and Charles Graiman. I mean those worked good and I was hoping to find out their connection to Mike. I hope they'll cover that before they have to ditch the two characters.

5. I really think now at this point that the original KITT should have been brought in at the movie in more than he had been, to pass on the torch. All we saw was parts. So I'm hoping for a return (even if for one episode) and plenty of parts for the original KITT and Michael - at least one more time to bring the show more in line. I hope they don't do like TKR with the mysterious Shadow being KITT and having him taken and then it ended with no resolution or what happened to KITT.

These are things I'm hoping to see in the newer episodes when KR returns. And yes, of course KARR. :) I haven't any complaints there yet. I think it's a neat idea what they're doing with KARR so far. I hope they bring Peter Cullen back in to do the voice. That would bring things more full-circle. :)

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Sue wrote:I can’t say I’m really qualified to give advice that would keep KR on the air. But I do know that I very much want to see Knight Rider on the air for years to come. It’s often the case that a person’s true feelings get lost amongst so many varied individual posts. But I think that for the most part we are here because we love the show and we strongly defend it when out in public. Here, seemingly amongst ourselves, we are oftentimes more candid.

We have been deeply hurt by failed attempts like Team Knight Rider in the past, and so it is understandable that we would beg and plead with (or even occasionally be a little mad at) those involved that they might make this the very best show they can.

I will say I often forget that I’m not just talking to the ten or so people who are posting. There are a lot of people both in the show or simply fans that don’t post. I must say it is quite an odd experience to come across people who you don’t know but know you well by what you have said here.
I agree completely! Great post Sue! Writing is what makes a good show great! Take a look at NCIS. It's basically another cop show. However the writing is centered around the characters. The characters make the show so enjoyable to watch. The situations they're in every week is simply an avenue to see them react to each other.
Knight Rider has so much potential, especially given the backstory with KARR and Mike's past. I do think that we need to put all of the community's support behind this show. We need to prove to NBC that Knight Rider is worth keeping on the air. We need to show them that Knight Rider does have a following and, with certain changes made, has the potential to be a success similar to Smallville. The actors are doing a great job! Kudos to Justin, Deanna, David, and the others.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;