S.I.D.

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Cuda426440
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

S.I.D.

Post by Cuda426440 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:54 pm

What caracteristics did S.I.D. had over Kitt to be that useful in the "Hills Of Fire"?

Sincerely, I think the only this thing was "useful" is to hit a little bit Kitt's ego.
Last edited by Cuda426440 on Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:59 pm

It went to show that they were running out of ideas by this stage to come up with something like that. that's how it appeared to me anyway...a camera disguised as a football was quite lazy.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:02 pm

Actually, S.I.D. did prove its worth, rather logically.

S.I.D. was able to go places that a big black shiny Trans-Am couldn't go without sticking out like a true sore thumb. Could you see KITT trying to sneak up on that camp so he could get a sensor view of what was going on? In all actuality, shiny KITT would have been spotted in seconds, even in a world ruled by artistic license. S.I.D. was a very good extension of KITT's abilities, which is what he should have been portrayed as, and what they were trying to work at, but didn't quite get there in the storyline. It was so useful, that it was somewhat copied in Viper as well.

KI

Cuda426440
Recruit

Post by Cuda426440 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:11 am

So I can imagine S.I.D. recording the conversation between Birock and Zoormagian in Junk Yard Dog, right?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:50 am

I still don't see the point of SID. Look at when kitt n michael record conversations when they're a few feet away from the culprits anyway...they've always been on a mountain or round the corner and got away with it so i just don't see the purpose for SID.

I think it was just a gimmick to keep ppl "entertained". SID flying proved that.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:40 pm

S.I.D. was without a doubt, a gimmick. But face it, ALL of KITT's functions were a gimmick. Some more useless than others. This was one of the first times that KITT and Michael had to send in some constant surveillance, and were on severely rocky mountain terrain. There WAS a difference from other situations.

Yeah, S.I.D. probably could have done the recording of the conversation with Birock, allowing KITT more time to get over his fears in JYD. Maybe S.I.D. could have also been sent in to take a closer look at the place without getting thrown in a pit of toxic waste.

Other situations where S.I.D. could have come in handy:

Speed Demons - Chasing the phantom motorcycle up the side of the hill, which resulted in KITT tumbling down the side of it. S.I.D. might have been able to get a better shot, and wouldn't have had to worry about traction.

Knight of the Juggernaut - Sending S.I.D. into the area where the Juggernaut was waiting, rather than getting KITT smashed into pieces.

There are probably many others. S.I.D. was an early idea into KITT's sensor enhancements. When you get deep down into the logic and think a little further ahead, you will see that S.I.D. could have been a rather promising gadget, if not a highly disposable one that could have been a whole lot less expensive to lose than the whole of KITT.

KI

Cuda426440
Recruit

Post by Cuda426440 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:37 pm

It's a fact that we saw S.I.D. in one episode only. Probably if S.I.D. had appeared in more than one episode, the judgement I have would not be the same.

But, if we take the idea that S.I.D. is used in many situations, what would have been the impact of S.I.D. on the show?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:39 pm

Read my response a little more carefully. I said that those were situations that COULD have happened, where S.I.D. COULD have been useful.

And the difference would have been: KITT wouldn't have had as embarassing moments going where no Trans Am should go.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:10 pm

I feel that S.I.D. was way overdue to appear, yet unnecessary. Time and time again, KITT managed to obtain these impossible viewpoints (Not to mention some of the shots that the enemies obtained.) that, had S.I.D. been around, would actually have been explainable. Instead, we have to go with the (Oh, what was it?) Hyperwave Mirror Projection that bounces images off of radiation heat waves in mid-air. (Or, something totally silly, like that. You try explaining how Kitt gets a monitor visual of the driver from the side, when Kitt is directly behind said driver.) It's some totally bogus explanation for all the impossibilities that have been seen. (I feel the worst offense comes from that episode where this club tries to sign up Bonnie, despite the fact that she fails their test, and they have a video tape marked 'K.I.T.T.' that has the most remarkable shots of KITT in action. But, HOW did they predict where to set up all these video cameras over the many past months, just to capture the proof of KITT's existance and abilities??? Simple. THEY COULDN'T. Now, had S.I.D. been hanging around, the impossible becomes easy. Simply say that they intercepted S.I.D.'s visual broadcasts and recorded it on VHS.) So, I feel the real reason S.I.D. was introduced was to help make K.I.T.T.'s impossible shots more believable. And, as a cute gimmick.

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:19 pm

jup wrote:... I feel the worst offense comes from that episode where this club tries to sign up Bonnie, despite the fact that she fails their test, and they have a video tape marked 'K.I.T.T.' that has the most remarkable shots of KITT in action. But, HOW did they predict where to set up all these video cameras over the many past months, just to capture the proof of KITT's existance and abilities??? Simple. THEY COULDN'T.
oh, that is easy... Jeniffer Knigt was stalking them... in her white beatel... they coned the tape off of her by offering her tons of money. See KOTJ for more incredible, but "imposible", shots.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:25 am

And before that, Elizabeth Knight was stalking Michael and KITT, hiding from her place in oblivion, and keeping her evil henchmen all over the place with cameras. It was a family evil.... muh-huh-huh....

KI
(high on life, and chocolate!)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:29 pm

SID actually seemed like a good idea to me. A way of allowing Micheal to see and hear things while ramaining in Kitt for protection as well as the spy concept they used it for in the episode.

And as KI pointed out earlier in this thread....the idea was used in Viper, although in a much kewler way :)

The one thing that always made me cringe about Sid though was...how the hell did they make it fly? and not only that they made it fly faster than the 4x4 it hitched a ride up the mountain on??

It was kind of the last little threads of reality slipping away I thinkt :D
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:34 am

Rockatteer wrote:the idea was used in Viper, although in a much kewler way :)

The one thing that always made me cringe about Sid though was...how the hell did they make it fly? and not only that they made it fly faster than the 4x4 it hitched a ride up the mountain on?
I feel that since Knight Rider came up with it first, then they had the right to experiment with it. It also didn't help that SID came about quite literally two to three episodes before KR went bye-bye from NBC's scheduled new episode run. So, who knows how SID could have been used in potential future episodes.

And, you do have a point that irks me, too. In many scenes, SID is this slow moving, gravity defying thing that shows no signs of being able to pull off movement or flight. And then, it's doing something like 80 MPH with a camera following behind it? Must have had a ton of physically impossible, mosquito mouth sized turbine ports in the works with the weight of a weather balloon.

Of course, SID's *real* flight power was probably a fishing rod and some very thin fishing line...