NBC Affiliate in Boston refuses to air new 10pm Leno show

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NBC Affiliate in Boston refuses to air new 10pm Leno show

Post by neps » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:02 pm

Things are starting to get interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30020928/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NBC affiliate in Boston nixes new Leno show
Owner says program won't succeed; NBC threatens to strip affiliation

updated 46 minutes ago
BOSTON - Boston’s NBC affiliate says it will air a local newscast instead of Jay Leno’s new 10 p.m. talk show.

(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC.)

The move by WHDH has prompted a threat from NBC to strip the TV station of its network affiliation.

Leno is leaving “The Tonight Show” in June, and his new prime-time program on NBC is scheduled to begin in September.

Ed Ansin, who owns WHDH’s parent company, told The Boston Globe he did not believe Leno’s new show would be successful. He said the station would do better financially with a news show that competes with Fox-affiliated WFXT-TV’s highly rated 10 p.m. newscast.

NBC TV Network president John Eck said in a statement that WHDH’s move is a “flagrant violation” of its contract with the network.

bucksanass1
Volunteer

Re: NBC Affiliate in Boston refuses to air new 10pm Leno show

Post by bucksanass1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Well when corp. says now they mean NOW

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 am

Best part is that he's from Massachusetts. :lol:

Like I said when it was announced, I doubt this show is going to last very long, it's going to get trampled by its competition and even though it'll be cheap to produce, NBC is going to go into panic mode and people will probably be losing their jobs.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:42 am

Fox's Newscast in Boston is the best they have? wow... here in Texas, it still looks like it's stuck in the 90s and no one gives it a care on the issues it covers (twice, once at 9pm and again at 10pm)

I'm still weirded out that primetime & ect is an hour ahead of ours. By 11pm, most older adults are dead asleep here, how does the east coast stay up that long?
Read KR Fanfiction and Post your own at http://www.knightfic.com

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:35 am

To quote Huey Lewis & The News:

New York, New York, is everything they say
And no place that I'd rather be
Where else can you do a half a million things
All at a quarter to three

AM is what he means...
The city that never sleeps

Just because Boston's current affiliate doesn't want to show Leno at 10, doesn't mean diddly. But I do think that the timing in all this sucks for original/retcon programming...and do we see Who Wants to Be a Millionaire 5 nights a week anymore either? Why couldn't this happen a few years from now?...

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Actually Boomer, the affiliate not wanting to air the Leno show means more than diddly. This means that more and more people out there think that Leno in Prime Time is doomed to fail. I've always thought ever since it was announced that it would be a failure and I'm glad to see others believing it as well. In order to succeed in Prime Time, Leno would have to retain his full audience from his original time slot, plus a whole new audience from Prime Time and I really don't see it happening. People in that time slot will be watching shows such as the CSI's and such and they won't care about Leno.

I can assure you that if Leno fails, Ms. Bromstad will be out the door faster than the Chopping Block was given the ax.
Save Knight Rider Petition Signed #5610

KITT_Vs._KARR
Operative

Post by KITT_Vs._KARR » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Ya Know, i agree with ya Sty Knight.

I think NBC just don't know how or what to do. They know they made an error with the "Chopping Block", which BTW was ment to Compete with Food Networks "Chopped". :D

I like FN's Show better lol.

At any rate, we should get KR back, or i hope we do...
There is the best, then the Rest!

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 pm

I dunno...

sounds to me like NBC is saying show Leno or get out...and we'll find someone else to show it.

Like I said, it's more about the timing of this experiment that ticks me off. If this was done a few years from now, we'd care less. But because it's gonna happen this fall, and that KR's not solidly confirmed to come back is a double whammy we can't ignore and blindly think that KR's gonna come back.

I agree that the Overseas market is going to make or break KR...May 5th is when we'll know for sure.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:26 am

Well, NBC basically did it because they didn't want to lose Leno to another network. *shrugs* Personally I haven't seen that many Leno fans... I have a feeling that by this time 2010 it will be on near the top of the "television blunders" lists for 2009.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:32 pm

I for one am rooting for the NBC affiliate.
I really stopped watching the tonight show when Johnny left.
Then I went to Conan and never looked back. Leno is pretty awkward to watch & is the same every night.
I hope that the local NBC station doesn't back down to NBC's 'demands'.
Only time will tell though.
In the meantime can we interest you in a mutinous peacock T-shirt in our NBC giftshop?
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:29 pm

yeah, i never found leno funny.. always just watch conan.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;