Time Running Out?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Time Running Out?

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:43 pm

As you know, after tomorrow Knight Rider is getting pulles from the airwaves. I have assumed that Sci-Fi may pull their Knight Rider page as well. So if any of you wanted that cool image on their main webapge for Knight Rider, you can now have it. I have saved it and reconstructed it segment by segment (for some reason the page was segmented when I tried to save the image). I however edited a part of the image slightly (see if you can spot the change). And I made a second one where the "Knight Rider" title is replaced by the classic Knight Rider title font. This image would make for an awesome wallpaper. And I do use one of the images I made as my wallpaper myself. So, here you go, just right click and save!

Regular: http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/3112 ... erpage.jpg

Classic: http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/3112 ... pagect.jpg

Oh, my image editing software is limited, I couldn't get rid of that "Weekdays at 5", but I guess its good for nostalgia for those of us who want to remember the good ol days. (of when KR was on TV)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:51 pm

I had such high hopes for the Sci-Fi Channel Knight Rider site, but their messageboard has probably the worst interface I have ever seen. It's painful to use. A shame.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:06 pm

i use to hate scifi channel but when they knight rider on the air i forgave scifi. but well you can guess what kind of mood i'm in now.

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:13 pm

Yeah me too.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:15 pm

how dare scifi what there doing to knight rider.

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:16 pm

Does anyone know whats going to replace it?

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:24 pm

nop we don't have a clue yet.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:41 pm

But what about the images I edited!? I haven't heard any comments on them. :(

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:43 pm

i'm sorry the real michael knight yeah there cool. i've seen those images before at scifi.com

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:44 pm

It's OK to be disappointed, but don't be mad at Sci-Fi Channel. They're not even a 24-hour a day broadcaster. There's a huge library of science fiction programming out there and very few hours in a day to show it all, so it's only natural that Knight Rider will go out of the rotation.

If you are willing to be NICE about it, send a pleasant email to the programming department at program@www.scifi.com. If you want to be taken seriously, don't yell or complain; instead, tell them how disappointed you are that Knight Rider is leaving and that you really hope they bring it back soon.

program@www.scifi.com is the email address they give on their website, but if you have trouble with that try program@scifi.com. I'm not sure the www is supposed to be there. To be safe, send it to both addresses.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:49 pm

i dought that they would care or reply back.there just replacing knight rider some other stupid show that shouldn't be on knight rider's time.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:49 pm

According to the schedulebot, it looks like KR is getting replaced with Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

I'm sure that most of you are going to jump on me for saying this, but where is it written that SciFi is obligated to show KR just because we like it? Saying things like "How dare SciFi do that to Knight Rider!" makes it look like the show has a fanbase made up of whining, petulant children, which I know from spending time here isn't true. It's a TV show that hasn't filmed a new episode in over 15 years; we're lucky to have gotten four months of reruns on SciFi.

They paid lots of money for the broadcast rights, and like it or not, that means they can do what they want -- they can show it, they can sit on it, they can bring it back from time to time -- and there isn't a whole lot that anger will accomplish.

Edit: It looks like Mike covered some of the same points I was trying to get at. Basically, if you write an intelligent letter -- and I mean a real letter, because there's a rule that I learned from a friend in the TV business, that a paper letter counts as 10,000 viewers to them, but an e-mail means bupkis -- leaving out hyperbole like "How dare you!" and so forth, who knows, you might get results, or at least an intelligent letter back explaining why KR went off their schedule. Anything that doesn't come across as calm, rational, and professional will most likely end up in the recycle bin.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:06 pm

The Real Michael Knight wrote:But what about the images I edited!? I haven't heard any comments on them. :(
Yeah...about that... You're not going to like hearing this, but with the snapshot keystoke on the Mac or the Printscreen key on Windows, you get a screengrab of the entire non-segmented image. I'm afraid the work you did stitching the pieces back together can be replaced by a single keystroke. :( Still, it does look better with the Knight Rider font in place and your effort and diligence in assembling it piece by piece is duly noted.

But what is most important of all, is that you had the idea to save the image in the first place. My guess is that out of pure laziness it will remain on the site for a while, but I would hate to have people go back to look for it one day and have it be gone. So that is definitely appreciated.

It's a little small and too busy to make a good wallpaper for me personally, because I keep a very messy desktop and the simpler the background, the better. Wasn't OS X supposed to make everything nice and neat? Ha!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:41 am

Good idea to hold onto this! I hope you don't mind TRMK but I went ahead and removed the Weekdays line and bumped up the font, added the red outline and drop shadow to match the previous font, and removed the nick in the bottom right. I'm also tempted to go a step further and correct the voice modulator inaccuraceys, and change the buttons on the left to be like auto cruise and such, but that would just kill the intended purpose of saving this image.

you can check it out here:
http://www.knightrideronline.com/kr_scifi.jpg

But I must stress that no one should use this template as theirs for their knight rider fan sites. Even if Sci-Fi's site disappears, it would be unfair to use this image as anything more than nostalgia. I ask you all to respect the designers efforts that went in to making this unique site for us.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:50 am

Yes, Neps, I agree. And whoa, you did a great job! You must have great image editing software. *gives thumbs up like Michael* I mearly did this for fun, because I thought it would look spiff for my walpaper. (and it really does in my opinion.) And lets all tip our hats to the software people who took time out to create such a good image.

Oh about the voice modulator, yeah I changed it because thats what my personal preference is. Anyway, yeah, that would be cool to see what it would look like to see the more familiar "Auto Cruise" and such layout. its really tempting to customize for your pleasure huh? lol But thanks for that beefed up image, I'm using it as my wallpaper. :D And to quote Wilton Knight: "Its rather handsome, if I do say so myself."

ramon88us
FLAG Recruit

Post by ramon88us » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:01 pm

Is there a way to remove those letter on the left side of the picture?