KITT app for Apple Watch

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT app for Apple Watch

Post by KFCreator » Thu May 28, 2015 2:53 pm

I just received my shiny new Apple Watch a few days ago (had to go all black to keep with the Knight Rider spirit, of course) and immediately, I thought "If only there was an app that showed the same watch face as the Comlink and was interactive and responded to you with phrases in KITT's voice (lifted directly from the series, ideally)." Then I saw that there are a few of them already on the Apple Watch app store but they look mediocre at best and not exactly what I was looking for.

Then I saw this tutorial online for how to make your own KITT Apple Watch app (https://www.iosonlinecourses.com/ios-ap ... app-swift/) and now I'm thinking maybe I should just dive in and try to learn how to code it myself. However, I have very little programming experience and thought maybe someone here would like to help take this on or it could be developed as a community project. Thoughts?
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Re: KITT app for Apple Watch

Post by jup » Fri May 29, 2015 11:10 am

I've no idea on how to program for those things.

Alas, if it was my project to build, I don't think I'd opt for an Apple Watch. With the way electronics have gotten, I'd go an entirely different direction and opt for build a dedicated watch with a 3-D printer and have the guts of the thing work with blu-tooth to a concealed smart phone that had voice interactivity, all the useful wav files and such. One could carry the illusion even further by having devices in the home that could be controlled ("Kitt. Can you turn on the living room lights, please.") or remote car starting and such.

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:06 pm

I would potentially be interested in helping design something like this. I'm working on learning android programming, and would be interested in building this for an android smartwatch.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Very intriguing KFCreator! I know enough Xcode to be dangerous - so I'll give it a shot! The tutorial is behind some subscription, but lets see.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:35 pm

That's awesome, neps! I would love to see what your efforts come up with. And like I said, this could be a fun community project for anyone who wants to help. We could use some good Comlink graphics and sound clips of KITT's voice. I'll see if I can help come up with some of that stuff.

Dozer789 -- Android would be good but the reason I brought up the Apple Watch in the first place is because I honestly see Apple as having the best overall future outlook in the smartwatch market (not to mention that the Space Black watch with the Space Black band is very Michael Knight-esque.) But an Android version would be great if you want to work on that.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Pac-Man
Rookie

Post by Pac-Man » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:42 am

I see the non-proprietary nature of Android to be a huge benefit with a project like this. Apple is and always has been way too proprietary. Before the copyright issues the Android version of the KITT app ran circles around the Apple equivalent. Just my honest opinion though.
Check out Project: K.I.T.T. - http://www.pac-attack.com/project-k-i-t-t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Ultimate Knight Rider Map - http://www.pac-attack.com/project-k-i-t-t/replica-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dozer789
Recruit

Post by Dozer789 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner... I have been without internet for a while, and only got 500mb of data on my phone. I don't do much with it that I don't have to.

I'm still working on the android development, and so it will probably be at least 1 or 2 months before I'm done. I'm somewhat busy, and so I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on it.

I'm hoping I can get started sometime soon, and before I do, I'll make a post getting information on what you guys want.

As far as the apple watch goes, it is clearly the best smartwatch available right now, but it can only run on iOS. That is the big drawback, because I'm planning on making a watch to communicate with my phone and my car via bluetooth. With an apple watch, I don't think that could be done, and if it could, it would be extremely hard.