I want it!

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

I want it!

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:50 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 24225&rd=1 I wonder if he takes souls instead of cash? :?:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:39 pm

its nice except that its a manual tranny :(
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:49 am

Dave Knight wrote:its nice except that its a manual tranny :(
o come on! at that price ur gonna complain?! lol. nice find!!
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:19 am

Dave Knight wrote:its nice except that its a manual tranny
Is that a problem? That saves fuel!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:52 am

Arjun wrote:
Dave Knight wrote:its nice except that its a manual tranny
Is that a problem? That saves fuel!
An automatic tranny is a must-have for the purists...KITT was an auto from the very beginning. Besides, its easier to drive...specially for the ladies and wives out there. :)

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:10 am

All these eBay-based Trans Ams are coming really cheap- they come for 1/20'th of the price of the smallest cars sold locally! Though they're much bigger! Are they really worth the buy? And does anyone have any hints on how to run an ancient Trans Am without having to spend too much money?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:35 am

Arjun wrote:And does anyone have any hints on how to run an ancient Trans Am without having to spend too much money?
I don't think that is possible. Given the age of the cars, its definitely a pain in the butt to get it back into good running condition (if bought cheap). There's the body, framework, interior...and the engine. It costs a lot of money to overhaul the power plant, the most likely cost-effective solution would be to replace it altogether. All of it would cost a lot of money. Then there's fuel consumption...it is a big and heavy car. Not to mention the actual cost of conversion to KITT...*groan*.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:13 am

I agree, and know first hand being as my current 92 is my 3rd third gen car. These cars were pains even new. My father bought a 82 Firebird SE (2.8 V6) new, and the engine literally seized on the way to Disneyland a month after he bought it. I remember reading somewhere the expected range of an 82 Firebird was 60k miles. My 92 was about 90k miles. I believe the same article refered to them as "disposable Corvettes."

I really lucked out with the condition my 92 was in, but it still hasn't been an easy trip. I would highly recomend that before you begin this kind of thing (either just to own or convert) to have a reliable daily driver. I myself have a 2000 Honda Civic. It's way more reliable than my Firebird has ever been, and a lot friendlier on gas. I really don't know how people who use there T/As as daily drivers do it.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:18 am

I remember in the 80s when I was about to learn to drive (I started late and got my license at age 20, actually), I kept wanting a Trans Am. My dad kept telling me "Aw, you don't want a Trans Am! They're nothing but trouble!" I thought he was nuts. So I end up with a Chevy S-10 that guess what - was nothing but trouble. :(

I LOVE my Pontiac 6000. I hear that some of the more "basic" and cheaper Trans Ams had the 4-cylinder iron duke engines in them. Now THOSE engines are very sturdy! That's what's in my 6000!

Pontiac should have at least developed those engines more and made V6 and V8 ones for the firebirds. I heard of a number of 'bird owners who just swapped the 305 crossfires out and put Chevy 350s in. In fact, the original star car KITT that's I think exactly what they did.

I still love the style, though. :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:20 pm

HondaSiR wrote:KITT was an auto from the very beginning. Besides, its easier to drive...specially for the ladies and wives out there. :)
Careful, with comments like that you just may get run over by some of those ladies and wives! :) (don't worry, I know you were joking)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:38 pm

I took it with a grain of salt, since I'm a not-so-feminine single female who happens to own a kick-butt car as well. ;) I've met ladies who do car restoration and they do darn well too. :)

I have a friend who will not drive anything but standard. SHE had a Dodge that is pushing 200,000 miles!

As the moto of my site says: "We ALL can make a difference!" ;)

Gender doesn't even enter into it. It's the love of our cars (and our beloved K.I.T.T.) that matters here. :)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:39 pm

Well I can't drive a stick. That's why all my Firebirds and Camaros were automatics.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:02 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:Well I can't drive a stick. That's why all my Firebirds and Camaros were automatics.
Same Here Army, I am the same way.

I actually e-mailed the seller as the car is only 30 minutes from
me. His reserve is $2000.00 for it. It if was an auto, I may have
jumped on it, but it isn't, so nope.........
Brian - Knightdriver.com

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:15 pm

I can't drive a stick...and don't really have a deep burning desire to learn how to, either. My Corsica has spoilt me. (191K, today....*sobs*)

Automatic, all the way! 8)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:22 pm

I learned to drive a stick when I was 11. Ahh..I still remember the first car I drove. 1988 Suzuki Samurai. September 9, 2001. One of the best days of my life. :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:48 pm

I can drive both a manual and an automatic. But I prefer an auto because its much more easier in traffic to navigate...a manual tranny gives my left foot cramps from depressing the clutch pedal too often, specially in a gridlock (which unfortunately happens in my country quite often).

My brother-in-law used to drive a manual, but since switching to a brand new automatic CRV, he says he'll never go back to a manual. Same goes for almost all of my female friends and relatives. Who can blame them? It's just too much of a luxury and convenience compared to a stickshift.

An automatic tranny also doesn't have a clutch disc to replace every couple of years, saving the owner some headache in going to the mechanic. :D

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:53 am

lol, Turboman, is your homepage the Trans Am search on Ebay? :-P
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Dome
Rookie

Post by Dome » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:32 am

How is this in Amerika and the UK?

If you pass your driver's licence with an autmatic transmission car, are you allowed to drive a manual transmission car as well?

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:13 am

Which is more cost-effective? Restoring an original 1982 Trans Am or making a fake Trans Am using a Honda or another owner-friendly car? This includes buying, fabricating, running and maintenance costs.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:51 am

How many want to buy a Trans Am just for the looks? Is it a show-car?

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:03 pm

cloudkitt wrote:lol, Turboman, is your homepage the Trans Am search on Ebay? :-P
Your Close. :D Actually, I have it as a AOL favorite. It's actually the first window I open when I sign on.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:11 pm

Looking at my Honda, I'd say restoring a T/A would be more cost effective than modding a Honda. I'd be spending more in Fiberglass than the car would be worth (even though I've already doen that with my Firebird).

It would be a neat project, however.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:31 pm

Dome wrote:How is this in Amerika and the UK?

If you pass your driver's licence with an autmatic transmission car, are you allowed to drive a manual transmission car as well?
I'm not sure for New York State, USA as I've always drove automatic. But my license has no restrictions that I must drive automatic so I'm sure I can drive a stick if I wanted to learn, etc. I think the only reason a person would be legally forced to drive only auto transmission is if their driver's license said so as in due to disability or other issue in which the driver didn't have any ability to use a clutch, etc.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:39 pm

Arjun wrote:Which is more cost-effective? Restoring an original 1982 Trans Am or making a fake Trans Am using a Honda or another owner-friendly car? This includes buying, fabricating, running and maintenance costs.
Turn a Honda into a Trans-Am? Image

Uhm... personally... Image

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:56 am

Looking at my Honda, I'd say restoring a T/A would be more cost effective than modding a Honda. I'd be spending more in Fiberglass than the car would be worth (even though I've already doen that with my Firebird).

It would be a neat project, however.
Why not steel? Even then, it will definitely cost a lot more if you make a TOTAL conversion, including the emblems at the back of the seat, as well as the autograph on the upholstery as well as every dashboard detail. But if you just want something that looks like a Trans Am, it may cost a lot less.

Rather than plug several holes in an old car, you may as well build a new body.

The basic idea of this kind of conversion is to reduce running costs as well as maintenance costs, and build a car you can drive from home to work and back, and all over your city. That's why I suggested an owner-friendly car. The Trans Am, as we all know, isn't. It may just be a showcar. If it's a showcar you want, you can make your own car look like it.