For those lucky souls with the KITT dash....

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Bumfluff
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

For those lucky souls with the KITT dash....

Post by Bumfluff » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:45 am

This may seem like a silly question but I'll ask anyway. The KITT dash has alot of lights to it and I was wondering if your fuel economy is affected because of this? I am considering installing a dash and would like to know if all those lights affects power/fuel consumption.

Cheers

Jase

p.s. Does anyone have (besides Mark's Custom Kits website) pictures of a right Hand Drive KITT dash?

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:59 am

I'm not 100% sure, but I think all the lights would only eat at your battery instead of guzzling any of your gas.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:01 am

A car's fuel economy is affected by a lot of factors...airconditioning, incorrect tire pressure, poorly maintained engine (not serviced regularly), vehicle load, etc. But the number of lights inside the passenger compartment (dome light, dashboard electronics) does not in any way contribute to the gas consumption. The car's battery provides the power for this.

kywolverine708
Recruit

Post by kywolverine708 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:40 am

I dont have a KITT replica, but I do know in Privately Owned Vehicle, in order to hook up my emergency lights and siren. I had to have a special altenator. All the lights on the KITT dash would probably really drain a normal altenator. On my firebird I have only 5 blue lights and a small siren. And I had to go one step up, because I kept on ruining alternators.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:42 am

The only way it could affect MPG would be by the extra weight it adds. That amount would be so small you wouldn't notice more than likely.

Just make sure you have a strong battery and a good alternator and you'll be just fine :)
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:58 am

I'm going a different route (if some day I get my Pontiac 6000's dash redone). I'm going to get non-acid optima batteries (about 5) and have the welders weld a braket in the trunk under the back shelf, and put the batteries there. From there I'll wire in lights on one battery, main PC computer (which will house the AI) on another, and security system and accessories on the other). The other two will be one for running extras and have an AC/DC power converter (in case of need of tools on the road, etc.) and the other will be a backup that the computer can switch to in an emergency. Further the main battery will power all the normal stuff that came with the vehicle.

I'll be getting a larger alternator but also a larger regulator or maybe fashion two regulators in that case.

I do have an unproven theory though on alternators and gas mileage. This is just my theory so I may be way off... :)

Larger alternators COULD take more gas. Any time you add something different to the engine itself it might affect fuel economy. I mean, think of it this way: Your engine is like a small power generator. The alternator is powered by the engine. The alternator in turn recharges the batteries. Too small an alternator and it will go out eventualy and you'll use up a lot of batteries. Larger ones will need more power to work, which means more work coming from the engine, and the engine needs more gas. It's probably why gas consumption goes way up also during use of air conditioners in the car (I've seen this happen to my car).

However, the amount of gas consumption that a heavier alternator would take up might be minimal to unnoticeable. It might not take up as much as say, air conditioning would.

I am not sure if any replica owners had compared gas mileages. I mean the replicas aren't normally driven enough for gas mileage to matter. If it's a daily driver, though, then it would have become noticeable to someone somewhere with a replica by now I would think. :)

I guess it might not even matter. But it was something I was thinking about when I read this.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:38 pm

I got another question about the dash. Where does the dash mount to?
Is there a special bracket? Or it goes right over the factory dash? Please, I need answers. This has been plaguing me for quite awhile.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:53 pm

I don't think a larger alternator is needed to power the lights from the KITT replica dashboard. A stock one is sufficient. But if the front scanner is of the high-intensity bulb type, a heavy duty alternator and battery is recommended. Fuel economy may be affected a bit because of the added weight of the larger alternator and battery, but not too much.

The airconditioner affects the mileage because when the compressor is engaged, load is applied to the engine (via the tension through the fan belt). The larger the compressor, the greater the load. When I want to save gas, I usually turn off the compressor (leaving the air flow on) from time to time, specially when going uphill or when the air in the cabin is too cold already.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:15 pm

A larger altenator would be better to have because it would keep the battery fully charged as you drive. And it would keep your battery full until the next morning. A battery with a larger capacity and more cranking amps would be a good choice.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:16 pm

Turboman, the dash mount onto the stock dash. There are a series of screws near the center defroster vent on the top of the dash pad. It bolts right into there. Also is a good idea to take some kind of emblem or molding tape to help secure down even more to the dash pad.

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:16 pm

Here's a dashboard question... if your hands are on the steering yoke, then can you push a button on one of the switch pods without removing your hand from the yoke?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:17 am

Knight Industries 3000 wrote:Here's a dashboard question... if your hands are on the steering yoke, then can you push a button on one of the switch pods without removing your hand from the yoke?
I think that is the general idea. Have the buttons just no gullwing :lol:

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:09 am

Knight Industries 3000 wrote:Here's a dashboard question... if your hands are on the steering yoke, then can you push a button on one of the switch pods without removing your hand from the yoke?
Yes you can do that, unless you have really short fingers or something.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:28 am

I have a question about those buttons...do they really do anything besides act as movie props? Do replica owners assign those buttons to perform certain tasks?

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:33 am

From what I have seen, most use the buttons for show. Some have a few buttons funtional, like for the scanner, fog lights, etc.
I ended up going a step further and have hooked up all of my POD unit switches to something. I wanted it to be as functional as possible.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:22 pm

If your cheap and poor like me they are just for show and don't work.

Functional ones can run you from $400 to $1800 depending on who's making them. Static display buttons like mine run you about $80.

Since I don't have a T-top I just mounted a stock T/A hardtop overhead and routed my scanner and fog buttons to that.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:40 pm

I see...thanks a lot for the info Kitt-X and Army_F_Body. I guess it all boils down to how much the owner can afford to soup up their replicas huh? At least we know now that it is possible to assign functions to all those buttons and displays. :)

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:46 pm

No problem. It's possible to do almost anything with a replica, just comes down to personal taste, finances, time, effort, etc.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:01 am

And don't forget immagination. ;)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:07 am

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:06 pm

another question: does having all the lights on not distract from the view of the road at night time? i mean does it not make it a lot harder to see the road? like it is when you have the light on inside ur house and looking out at night?
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)