why wasn't KR08 successful?

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Irony
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: why wasn't KR08 successful?

Post by Irony » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I don't know why it wasn't successful but I can tell what I didn't like in it. It was the VISUAL.
Too much CGI was used, most of KI3T 's abilities were unneeded and irritating. If I was driving a car, I would like to see through the windshield, and not watch illustrations I didn't specifically ask for. Not even if the car is driving himself when I pretend to drive.
Too much of muscle car and muscle man. KI2T was like an athlete while KI3T is a bodybuilder. Same goes for their drivers.

If you want me to watch something, please gove me something beautiful and not an arty hokum.

As for the story.... there are too many good fanfics for comparison. Like, http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5800083/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Knight of the New Dawn.
Music was OK.
Actors and actresses were OK (though a bit lost in the greenscreen).

......I think what I really missed was the TASTE. You cannot make a good film or series without it.
Intelligence is the right of all free beings

Irony
Rookie

Post by Irony » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:38 pm

I forgot to add that Nick is correct about family friendly series. This isn't one of those.

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks, Irony....I've kinda rewatched a lil of the 08 pilot and the Series and it just seems to me they could've went way better if KI3T had better stunts. The Original KI2T did so many things in the OS.....I wish they had the Turbo Boost in the pilot...but even KITT didn't have the Vertical Turbo Boost in the Original Pilot, it was like a increase speed type of Turbo Boost....And I could've accepted KI2T being a HEAVILY HEAVILY MODDED FORD PROBE in the series if FORD would've let it happen. Oh well....lol
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

Irony
Rookie

Post by Irony » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Anyway, did KI3T have a single "Auto cruise" scene? When the real car was actually moving without CGI?

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:18 pm

I believe the only time KI3T was shown in non CGI autopilot was in the TV movie with the RC Mustang.
Anytime he was in autopilot in the series KI3T had tinted blacked out windows. (Unfortunately)
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Irony
Rookie

Post by Irony » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the answer.

Slayer2004
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Slayer2004 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 am

Another thing I think was wrong was the fact that they changed the attack mode. In the end what made KI2T soo impressive was the lack of bells and whistles if you get my meaning. Most people from my knowledge thought that SPM was a bit extreme tbh. The fact that KI2T was able to do so much and still look normal was part of its appeal, it added a kind of shock factor. with the 2008 series Thompson should have been shot for the attack mode, I dont care if he did the fast and the furious, its a completely different type of concept. How NBC let him do it is beyond me. If they really wanted to revive the series they should have done a couple of things:

1. Hire David Hasslehoff as an executive producer. He still bleeds KR and would have ensured its tradition.
2. Ask the fans what they think, and I mean the fans of Knight Rider, not the people who have watched a couple of old episodes and claim to know everything. Oh and actually listen to them.
3. Dont hire one person to do the pilot that works and then get rid. If the pilot worked then keep a working formula not change every chemical aspect of it.
4. DO NOT LET GST NEAR IT.
Slayer2004 - Life, an infinate energy beyond scientific understanding....

Nicholas Knight
Operative

Post by Nicholas Knight » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:28 am

Slayer, I agree with that 100%. They should've let the Hoff be the executive producer....the man IS the original Knight Rider! It's crazy how the TV movie, which did kinda well goes into a series......that ignores the pilot.....that has so much lame writing that it takes 12 episodes to actually get into the "feel" of Knight Rider. I wonder why the new series tries to mix "James Bond" and "Transformers" so much they forget that the show is "Knight Rider"....If they kept KI3T in one main form and just gave him slight mods like the original KI2T had in the OS, It would've felt more "KITT- Like". They should've just kept the series parallel to the pilot, which seemed like Hoff would be part of the series.

And when the "ATTACK MODE I" had the "Super Pursuit Mode" FEEL to it even without all the Lights and the Deformed look that the "ATTACK MODE II" has. Actually the series Attack Mode reminds me of the OS Episode which KITT is tricked out to catch a car thief. Even though KITT was tricked out, he still looked better in his Original Form. As for Super Pursuit Mode.....some like it, and some don't. But it didn't distract those who didn't like it from watching Season 4. Maybe it's just my opinion, but they made KI3T a "One Car Team Knight Rider".
Knight Tech Inc. -- Where everyone makes a difference.

MURDOCK
Rookie

Post by MURDOCK » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:36 am

Just have a look at the original show,dukes of hazzard,the fall guy,the a team,thats why the show sucked n failed...it wasnt knight rider it was fast and the furious rider.
CAR JUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!NOT THAT B/S SIDEWAYS CGI OVER THE BRIDGE.
General lee,kitt,colts truck,all spun out did jump did crash thats what u gotta c.........
Fair enough it might have been 2 expensive 2 wreck cars.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIDqyi2 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEirq5u0bc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h96lrdR3EmI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watch these im sure youll get it.
Oh yeah 1 more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4P9VBG4IfY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats the knight rider.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 am

Slayer2004 wrote: 2. Ask the fans what they think, and I mean the fans of Knight Rider, not the people who have watched a couple of old episodes and claim to know everything. Oh and actually listen to them.
Here's the problem with that idea: Think about what "the fans" want to see in an upcoming Knight Rider Motion Picture... and like you say, this is what the REAL fans want:

Hasselhoff HAS to be in the movie!
It shouldn't have Hasselhoff.
KITT needs to be a black Trans Am.
KITT needs to be a current-year model car.
The movie should be a continuation of the series.
The movie should be a new telling of the origin story.

The hardest-core Knight Rider fans can't agree on what direction Knight Rider should take, and that's fine. It keeps things interesting. One of the worst thing writers/producers can do, frankly, is listen to the fans. You wind up creating a movie/series by committee and that rarely works out well.

Now that's not to say they shouldn't give the fans what they want... it sounds contradictory, but it's true. If you understand the franchise and have a good singular vision for it, you can give the fans what they want without specifically listening to them.

We spent quite a bit of time speaking with GST before and during production of the show, and I honestly believe he had an overall good vision for the show (with a few not-so-good ideas.) But the show he wanted to do was not the show he was permitted to do.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Slayer2004 wrote: 2. Ask the fans what they think, and I mean the fans of Knight Rider, not the people who have watched a couple of old episodes and claim to know everything. Oh and actually listen to them.
Here's the problem with that idea: Think about what "the fans" want to see in an upcoming Knight Rider Motion Picture... and like you say, this is what the REAL fans want:

Hasselhoff HAS to be in the movie!
It shouldn't have Hasselhoff.
KITT needs to be a black Trans Am.
KITT needs to be a current-year model car.
The movie should be a continuation of the series.
The movie should be a new telling of the origin story.

The hardest-core Knight Rider fans can't agree on what direction Knight Rider should take, and that's fine. It keeps things interesting. One of the worst thing writers/producers can do, frankly, is listen to the fans. You wind up creating a movie/series by committee and that rarely works out well.

Now that's not to say they shouldn't give the fans what they want... it sounds contradictory, but it's true. If you understand the franchise and have a good singular vision for it, you can give the fans what they want without specifically listening to them.

We spent quite a bit of time speaking with GST before and during production of the show, and I honestly believe he had an overall good vision for the show (with a few not-so-good ideas.) But the show he wanted to do was not the show he was permitted to do.
- For the most part Michael, I agree with you. You can't have it both ways but you can (in a motion picture or new approach) try to meet an established audience's requests somewhere in the middle. Some hardcore fans have this vision of David Hasselhoff and William Daniels reuniting for a epic movie that continues the original series on a grander scale across the silver screen in a shimmering black 82' Trans Am. The reality of it is that was them nearly 30 years ago and a lot has changed. I have attempted to give fans a glimpse into the ongoing creative making process of the motion picture and the hurdles involved to get this movie off the ground. Glen is listening, I'm listening, and we believe we can deliver a movie that can succeed in our modern times. It will not be a glorious remake or continuation of the original series. It's something new, yet familar. The heart and soul of what makes Knight Rider distinctively "Knight Rider" One man and his advanced talking supercar car making a difference from the beginning and beyond.

As for Gary Scott Thompson, he's made no attempts since the series departure to be involved with Knight Rider fans. He didn't go to Knight Rider Festival, he hasn't given any new interviews and so on. I am not so convinced his passion for Knight Rider runs as deep as ours, nor the desire to preserve what makes it continue to be so popular today. I would welcome GST to come out and tell his side of the story if that were ever possible but until then, as a fan I have to judge him on the many controdictory things he has said and the product he delivered which was lacking despite who was at fault during the latter end of its run.

I have much respect for Gary as a director and as a writer, as a showrunner on Knight Rider not so much. I think if Gary chose to share his side of the drama behind the series, we'd have more respect and understanding for what it was like to be in his shoes during that time. Again the fans need to keep in mind, GST didn't cancel Knight Rider, NBCU did - but GST began the downward spiral when he altered what David Andron had originally set in place.

In my opinion, revisionist history it seems only works in Star Trek.

=VK=
:dash:

Irony
Rookie

Post by Irony » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:33 pm

I think the old staff is very much needed, and not just on-screen. If the Hoff would become a producer and he would just be there and show how to add the "heart, fun and action - but not violence" it would be able to save the next revival attempt, and it could have saved this one. What happened to Baywatch? He picked it up from the ground after the first season and gave a soul to it.
And, besides, a little cameo would be highly appreciated. :)