For those who would not want to see the GT500 return as KITT

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Slim_Knight
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

For those who would not want to see the GT500 return as KITT

Post by Slim_Knight » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Here is something for those who just love the Trans-Am.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/tran ... 2010-01-15
KITT: Michael, your blood alcohol level is far too high to allow you to take the wheel.
MIKE: That’s fine. I don’t wanna drive anyway. I want a burger. Take me to a drive-thru.

DeSiMuNdA
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: For those who would not want to see the GT500 return as KITT

Post by DeSiMuNdA » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm

i loved the original trans am...looking @ the pic in that article, i'm glad they scrapped it along with the rest of pontiac...GT500 wasn't bad at all considering :shock:

a camero SS would fill in nicely though, in place of everything else :mrgreen:

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 pm

The SS Camaro is not a bad car, but I did like how the GT500KR came out, especially the duel scanner on the front.
KITT: Michael, your blood alcohol level is far too high to allow you to take the wheel.
MIKE: That’s fine. I don’t wanna drive anyway. I want a burger. Take me to a drive-thru.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 am

that trans am looks awesome!
in glen larson we trust.

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Too bad that it is ridiculously expensive.

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 pm

And here is something random for car lovers in general. Carroll Shelby is going to make a limited run of the GT 350 based on the 2011 5.0 Mustang GT.
http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Drive- ... 1409,A6177

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:58 pm

you d'ont realize how lukly you are in america to have those kind of car.
For what you paid a mustang you have a 1,6 liter turbo diesel engine here
A V8? Well there was never V8 car production in france . If you what a 400HP car ,sorry I mean WHP you have to pay at least 100000$ and it's for german car only cause in france there is no car upper 250 hp
your car are very affordable compared in europe and the gas price is ridiculously cheap

a full fuel tank in france cost apros 80$ ,so we have to drive very small engine car that get 60 mpg

You don't have taxe for emission etc

My mustang ' a used one cost far more than a brand new in the states for what I paid my GT I could have a gt500 in the states

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Damn, that really sucks. What I am eager to see is if Top Gear decides to take a look at the new 5.0 GT.

Kennyman316
Stranger

Post by Kennyman316 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

No we do not want to see gt500 as KITT I want the 2010 Corvette ZR1 as KITT

TurboBoostMan
Operative

Post by TurboBoostMan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 pm

That trans am was awesome!
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:44 pm

if you want to be in the knight rider spirit ,kitt should be a muscle car not a sport car like the vette,
but is you want a technological advanced car with hight tech matérial top quality and a lase ajusted body take a Audi R8 with 4wd

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 am

Pierre, why would we make KITT European? He started as a Trans-Am, so I say he needs to stay American! :lol:

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 pm

simply cause européean car are more advanced in every way more fuel efficient , better handling bigger power with smaller engine, top quality bulding , all car have four independant wheels since the 70's so they are more expensive look at german car especially audi they acctually are the best well made car in the worlds.
I don't blame american car actually I drive a 2008 mustang and a 84 transam .My daily is a 89 audi 80 and you know what ? The audi is better built than the 2008 GT in terme of material quality

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:48 am

Something of note, the new V8 for the Mustang GT's is one of the most fuel efficient V8's I am aware of to date. It is going to get an estimated 25 mpg highway while producing between 400-412 hp.

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 am

your right it was time to get this kind of engine^^ but why so much power? You can't drive fast. I was flashed by a radar driving 110 km/h when speed limit was 90 and did'nt notice the signboard :cry: 2 dot of penality on my driving licence and a 110$ ticket

ken3000
Volunteer

Post by ken3000 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 am

I always wish maxda rx-7 turns next kitt vehicle but this is impossible because it's japan. :(

Rx-7 always reminds me original trams-am kitt.They had very similiar desing.

iKITT
Recruit

Post by iKITT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Honestly, there have been so many concept Trans Ams that companies are custom making from Camaros it isn't funny. However, the one you've posted is the one I like the best.

It's sleeker looking than this version
and this one

In any event, KITT should be a sleek American sports car. My mind is leaning towards the Corvette. In my eye, it has to look like it can go 300MPH, it has to look mysterious and intimidating and beautiful all at once. GT500 didn't really provide those things, in my opinion. The Mustang looks aggressive, but hardly looks like it can go 300MPH. What I'm trying to say is it doesn't look very aerodynamic, especially compared to the Corvette.

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:11 pm

I do agree that it would kinda make more sense for KITT to be more of a sports car like the Vett, but I do like how well they pulled off the visuals with the GT500 and the duel scanner vs the single that KI2T had.

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:55 am

I my toast it should be a custom car or a rare car that you' don't see at each corner like a buggati veyron a car that nobody or almost can't offert, a car that is truly expensive like a high tech car should be . I 'm pretty sure if a true kitt car like would existe it would not be a sport car but rather a berline or a 4*4 (in the real world)

Luke_windstyle
Rookie

Post by Luke_windstyle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Which is exactly what a KR is. A rare car. I think the KR suits kitt perfectly.

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 am

I totally agree + the KR letter are good for Knight Rider^^

KamenRider
Recruit

Post by KamenRider » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:06 pm

In retrospect I don't even think that it being a Mustang was the problem as much as it is that the GT500 Shelby Cobra was just more of a thick brick than what they really needed. There's just too much bulk to the ground effects IMO. The car, is basically too fat for the part.

While I realize they wanted to go for the real power house model they forgot that ideally KITT is a very sleek machine. There's also just little things in designing what the KITT-ified version of the car would look like that I think could have been handled better.

I think it's important to remember that the guys making the show (if it comes back) aren't going to ever be in a position to force a car company bring back a line that they have abandoned. Adding to that, if the car that is KITT is an agressively exotic model like a Lambo or something, then he loses any ability to blend in at all. While the original KITT does have a distinct look he's still a Trans-Am which was not un-common sports car to have been seen around at the time. Wheras Magnum's Ferrari is not the kind of car you would be likely to see in Anywhere Town USA.

Offhand my first suggestion would be to use a standard model GT instead of a Shelby Cobra and probably the first touch I would give it would be a cowl hood. To me this would help give the Mustang a touch of that slope and slick spaceship-on-wheels look I think both casual and diehard fans associate with the original KITT while not throwing the parts of the Mustangs design that look cool and work in KITTs favor. (Also on a personal note, I'd just as soon stick with a 05-09 model but TV producers would probably want to upgrade him to the newest thing. Mainly, I just hate the 2010 tail-light design)

For the scanner light I think you could specially design a cowl-hood that has a slot for the scanner at the very front OR even have the scanner be in the grille. Ideally a black grille with no foglights and no Pony or GT emblems. Matter of fact don't have them anywhere on KI3T. Something I noticed with the "old school" mode from that one episode is that the scanner looks kinda cool and eerie when peering out from the darkness of the grille.

Just as an example:

They also could do more with the dashboard but that's a whole other post.

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:08 pm

In some ways I do think that the GT500 was a little on the fat side, but as for if they used a newer GT what is nice is knowing that since KI3T had a regular internal combustion engine that was on freaking steroids, the new GT's for 2011 are going to have one of the most advanced V8's that I am aware of to date.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:35 pm

I like the Mustang GT500KR, especially w/ the dual scanner, but that Trans Am pic was really cool.
What's w/ all the hating on the TA? It is still a cool car, and the Phoenix TA is awesome. It could
make a really cool KITT, especially if they did some 80's style tweaks on the front clip, to make it
look like the 80's KITT, but with modern touches. :kitt:

Pierre
FLAG Recruit

Post by Pierre » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 pm

actually if knight rider where a french show I would have prefert an exotic car

why not the audi TTRS 4WD 5 cylinder 2,5 liter and almost 400 hp ? ^^