Soemthing that peeves me

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Slim_Knight
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Soemthing that peeves me

Post by Slim_Knight » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:14 am

I don't know how many people noticed this, but one thing that has me peeved is knowing that KI3T is now an automatic in the TV series, and not a six speed like he was in the pilot. With how advanced the AI is, one would think that it would be no problem keeping the car as a six speed. And me, being a big car buff in general, think that cars like the GT500KR should only be manuals, and not automatics. Did anyone else notice this?
KITT: Michael, your blood alcohol level is far too high to allow you to take the wheel.
MIKE: That’s fine. I don’t wanna drive anyway. I want a burger. Take me to a drive-thru.

Radicalas
Operative

Re: Soemthing that peeves me

Post by Radicalas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 am

Slim_Knight wrote:I don't know how many people noticed this, but one thing that has me peeved is knowing that KI3T is now an automatic in the TV series, and not a six speed like he was in the pilot. With how advanced the AI is, one would think that it would be no problem keeping the car as a six speed. And me, being a big car buff in general, think that cars like the GT500KR should only be manuals, and not automatics. Did anyone else notice this?
I think KITT in pilot was automatic, but when KITT was turned off, the manual gearbox appeared. Since then KITT hasn't been driven while he beeing shut down. But I clearly remember, that the Remote KITT was Automatic.
Last edited by Radicalas on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Brown
Recruit

Post by Charlie Brown » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:51 am

I don't really care, and in fact think the switch to an auto is the sign of advancing technology.

KI2T was an automatic as well.

Even in the car industry today, automatic transmissions are add-on items, and have a monetary charge to reflect it.

Sure the manual transmission would have been a nice bone to throw to car enthusiasts, but it goes against the theme of advancing technology. Why make a car that can shift itself when you can make one that doesn't need to shift at all?

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Because it is cool to have a car shifting itself, lol. The only reason why KI2T was an automatic was because that was the only transmission that came on the Trans Am's. I guess that I just don't want to see that the car is an automatic every time we see the interior. That would at least make me feel better, lolz.
KITT: Michael, your blood alcohol level is far too high to allow you to take the wheel.
MIKE: That’s fine. I don’t wanna drive anyway. I want a burger. Take me to a drive-thru.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:46 pm

What makes most sense is KITT being an advanced form of a CVT. Not a traditional transmission and certainly not a manual when the AI controls everything. All that tech and an immobilized hunk of metal just b/c its a stick and can't motivate itself but depends on a human. Its laughable.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:48 pm

It woulden't really matter anyways.... We would never see justin slamming it into gear. They could have done some cool things if this show was fillmed in an aggressive male sort of way but it's not. The only shots we get are the face shots of justin while he is driving. No foot on the gas nothing
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Slim_Knight
Operative

Post by Slim_Knight » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm

DevonStyles wrote:It woulden't really matter anyways.... We would never see justin slamming it into gear. They could have done some cool things if this show was fillmed in an aggressive male sort of way but it's not. The only shots we get are the face shots of justin while he is driving. No foot on the gas nothing
You are right about that. It was just something that I had noticed, and I, being the car buff that I am, just found it to be a little irritating for a car of the caliber of the Shelby GT500KR. I just felt like putting my opinion out there. :)

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Slim_Knight wrote:Because it is cool to have a car shifting itself, lol. The only reason why KI2T was an automatic was because that was the only transmission that came on the Trans Am's. I guess that I just don't want to see that the car is an automatic every time we see the interior. That would at least make me feel better, lolz.
Sorry, but the transmissions were a 4-speed manual or 3-speed auto for 82 F-Bodys. Here's the Tiny Url:

http://tiny.cc/78u8I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Auto makes more sense. Paddle shifting is the modern 21st cent manual shifting approach. I think you really just want to see KI3T automatically get into gear and start moving on his own, much like KI2T had his start-up sequence and shifter move, accelerator pedal moving down, etc. KI3T really has no need for manual manipulation of those parts...but we as an audience want to see that.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 am

WIBoomer1 wrote:
Slim_Knight wrote:Because it is cool to have a car shifting itself, lol. The only reason why KI2T was an automatic was because that was the only transmission that came on the Trans Am's. I guess that I just don't want to see that the car is an automatic every time we see the interior. That would at least make me feel better, lolz.
Sorry, but the transmissions were a 4-speed manual or 3-speed auto for 82 F-Bodys. Here's the Tiny Url:

http://tiny.cc/78u8I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Auto makes more sense. Paddle shifting is the modern 21st cent manual shifting approach. I think you really just want to see KI3T automatically get into gear and start moving on his own, much like KI2T had his start-up sequence and shifter move, accelerator pedal moving down, etc. KI3T really has no need for manual manipulation of those parts...but we as an audience want to see that.
I agree. it adds more flavour to the show. like when Michel used to call KITT to help him, then the start up procedure goes and then the gear shift and finally the gas padle gets floored. that was very nice to see. in KI3T it would be chalanging to see how the producers do it in season 2 hopefully. Image :kitt:

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:29 pm

My problem with airing a whole step-by-step startup sequence where you see KITT shift gears, and then the pedal go down, etc...
is, basically, that it's unnecessary. You don't need to see that to know KI3T can drive itself, so what a sequence like that winds up doing is wasting a few seconds stating the obvious.
And given the show's track record in terms of effective use of each episode's length - which, overall, isn't that great, it pains me to say(With KtKP being the worst of all) - yet another unnecessary tidbit that cuts into what time is available is not something KR08 needs.
It's exactly the same problem KR08 had with its early Turbo Boosts, when it went through that whole long scene where the camera zoomed into the hood scoop, etc... and then showed the thruster nozzles rotating, and then launched the car. It's unnecessary, and it's basically a complete waste of time and resources.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:34 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote:My problem with airing a whole step-by-step startup sequence where you see KITT shift gears, and then the pedal go down, etc...
is, basically, that it's unnecessary. You don't need to see that to know KI3T can drive itself, so what a sequence like that winds up doing is wasting a few seconds stating the obvious.
And given the show's track record in terms of effective use of each episode's length - which, overall, isn't that great, it pains me to say(With KtKP being the worst of all) - yet another unnecessary tidbit that cuts into what time is available is not something KR08 needs.
It's exactly the same problem KR08 had with its early Turbo Boosts, when it went through that whole long scene where the camera zoomed into the hood scoop, etc... and then showed the thruster nozzles rotating, and then launched the car. It's unnecessary, and it's basically a complete waste of time and resources.
But its KEWL!!!!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:50 pm

I really don't see how sticking a shift gear into a car that is supposed to be superadvanced and thus does most things on it's own helps in anyway!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:40 pm

Pretty much, all that stuff was used to build excitement but to be fair, the original series didn't really spend much time or money on that since they used the same footage over and over and over and over until KITT had upgrades and they modified it and then used the footage until there were other changes. Such as the gas pedal change with the lights. They recycled a lot of stuff so there was no real waste of money there like we've seen with the new show.

I don't think it was pointless at all. From a real world perspective sure, but it's something that adds excitement and to the illusion of KITT being in control and driving so I have to disagree with it being pointless. I'd say the new show doesn't have nearly enough of that because it's almost always blatantly obvious that there's someone in the car driving due to the tinted windows. Have I ever mentioned how much I miss the remote car? :lol:

Oh also, the original series had several more minutes to do that kind of thing with as well as other stuff that drew you into the world of Knight Rider. They had a lot more time to spare and those few seconds really didn't mean much though they used their time more effectively than KR08 has IMO.

Complaining about KITT not being a manual transmission though, really?? The most advanced car in the world is going to use 19th century technology?? Like others have said already, it makes more sense for KITT to have either a new kind of transmission or a bigger better CVT as Marcus mentioned or have no transmission at all like an electric car.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:15 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote:My problem with airing a whole step-by-step startup sequence where you see KITT shift gears, and then the pedal go down, etc...
KACI, while I will give you that the pacing is something that is quite different than TOS, it's all in the little details that make KI2T seem to come alive. You don't get that with KI3T.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:23 am

I have only seen one episode where we get to read the speedometer when KITT races out of the SSC in Attack Mode. It's in KNIGHT OF THE IGUANA. Yeah, we see KITT's top speed in KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR, but it was on Billy's screen, and the editing was so horrible with that episode, I can't even count that as something we seen with KITT actually doing at that exact time. One thing that I want to see more of is KITT's racing speedometer on a close up shot.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm

I figure that if KI3T had any type of manual-shift tech, it'd be paddle-shifting. Paddle-shifting is actually computer-controlled anyway - the paddles aren't directly connected to a gearbox or anything like that. So KI3T would utilize an incremental shifter somewhere in the cockpit, and when Mike shifted gears, the computer would respond accordingly.

We haven't seen any evidence of this, though - Mike never shifts. Don't think it's going to happen, either.

I'm personally content to see the steering wheel spin when KI3T is driving - for bluescreen purposes, they could disconnect the steering linkage and attach the wheel to a servo or something to spin it. I don't think that the startup sequence is necessarily, uh, necessary (although they could have a really fun time making that with the HUD; it'd be awesome!) mainly because it was only used when KI2T was going to drive himself somewhere without Michael (like, away from a parking lot during a quiet scene, or out of the impound lot). The slow startup sequence worked in these shots because Michael was usually investigating something, or snooping, or elsewhere entirely. In KR08, KI3T seems to drive during more action-packed scenes; Mike's usually fighting someone while KI3T's doing his thing and having the ol' gearshift-and-pedal sequence would disturb the flow.

Perhaps if they only did the gearshift, but in a subtle way - we don't need a separate close-up of the shift from Park to Drive. Perhaps in shots where the car comes to a stop and Mike gets out, we see the gearshift move as we're looking through the open door. Or, perhaps, when KI3T is at a standstill, and we're seeing his HUD from the back-seat view, the gearshift moves when he's about to drive. I don't think I've noticed this, but it would go a long way in promoting the self-drive thing - sometimes subtlety has the strongest effect.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Jeremy1973
Volunteer

Post by Jeremy1973 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 am

Well, I just watched the last episode of this season, and I'm still irritated that KI3T is a freakin Mustang, I didn't even know that they even started the KR series after watching the NBC pilot , I didn't see any comercials or anything about KR08 after watching the pilot, so this season finale was a surprise to me considering I didn't know that they went ahead with the series. I think I likes the pilot gps looking voice module better than the snow globe version except that I did notice the KI2T esc voicebox inside the globe and that reminded me more of the KITT I knew and loved, They should have just put the KI2T looking voicebox look inside the navagation screen box , I think that would have looked better than the snow globe, or the heart monitor.