Justifying A Second Season

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DrWho2005
Operative

Justifying A Second Season

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:56 pm

How can NBC justify a second season?
Ratings are bad and they havent gotten better.
So is there justification, a reason, a compelling argument that would convince NBC to go to S2?
Two shows from last year had bad ratings in their first season.
They were Gossip Girl and Terminator.
Both shows faced the axe but the CW and Fox gave them a chance and now look.
Gossip Girl draws a lot more people than last season and Terminator has gotten creatively better and has picked up viewers.
Two failing shows are now doing well.

Of course for every GG or Terminator there is Jericho, a show that was given a second chance and failed again.

KR08 has a big advantage in that it has a ready built fan base. That can be expanded upon.

I think this is what needs to happen:

Give us back an episode so we can have 18.
Introduce Michael Senior and KItt Senior.. Yes, i know we shouldnt have to rely on the past to save the future..but we are fighting for our show here.

This will surely give a ratings boost.
See what the ratings are like after that episode. If they have climbed then it is obvious what the fans want and a second season of 13 episodes should be comissioned. The 13 episodes would be full of everything the fans love about the show past and present and If the ratings are showing an increase then commision the full season.

Other shows can be brought back from the edge, so can ours.
They havent given the fans what they want and it has failed.
Give them what they want and see what happens. That happened with Jericho and that experiment failed.
We dont have to be like Jericho fans, we can be like the fans of the other shows i mentioned and actuallyshow that we care and will support the show if NBC listen to us. GST is starting to listen, how about you Ben?

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Justifying A Second Season

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:50 pm

I like many others would enjoy seeing The Hoff and KITT ride again. However, I do not want this show to rely totally on them like a crutch. It has great potential to be a good show on its own.

Your idea is good however for a sweeps week idea. Bring them in for some sort of huge adventure with Mike and KI3T and then watch them ride off into the desert to Wilton Knights closing words. That would be awesome and bring in some major ratings.

This would then justify a second season.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 am

All KR needs is another chance.But I just hope KR doesn't turn out to be a "Jericho".
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 pm

Right now, in light of the Leno announcement, the best you can hope for is that NBC orders those 5 canceled scripts to use as a beginning for Season 2, and see how it goes from there. Leno really hurt this show, potentially.

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:00 am

I think that Jay Leno won't affect the show that it hasn't done to itself already...Lets see what happens after December 31.2008...And go from there....

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 am

I say keep the main characters as we have had, just write better stories, more scenes with kitt crashing thru walls, more action, turbo's with real cars, what happened to the remote controlled kitt? we never see him driving on his own, also how do we know if he is driving or mike is driving? on the old show we could always tell cause they always told us with normal cruise and auto cruise ... less cgi stuff ,more reall..
--knightman--

Antonio
Volunteer

Post by Antonio » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:16 am

DrWho2005 wrote:How can NBC justify a second season?
Ratings are bad and they havent gotten better.
So is there justification, a reason, a compelling argument that would convince NBC to go to S2?
Two shows from last year had bad ratings in their first season.
They were Gossip Girl and Terminator.
Both shows faced the axe but the CW and Fox gave them a chance and now look.
Gossip Girl draws a lot more people than last season and Terminator has gotten creatively better and has picked up viewers.
Two failing shows are now doing well.

Of course for every GG or Terminator there is Jericho, a show that was given a second chance and failed again.

KR08 has a big advantage in that it has a ready built fan base. That can be expanded upon.

I think this is what needs to happen:

Introduce Michael Senior and KItt Senior.. Yes, i know we shouldnt have to rely on the past to save the future..but we are fighting for our show here.

This will surely give a ratings boost.
See what the ratings are like after that episode. If they have climbed then it is obvious what the fans want and a second season of 13 episodes should be comissioned. The 13 episodes would be full of everything the fans love about the show past and present and If the ratings are showing an increase then commision the full season.

Other shows can be brought back from the edge, so can ours.
They havent given the fans what they want and it has failed.
Give them what they want and see what happens. That happened with Jericho and that experiment failed.
We dont have to be like Jericho fans, we can be like the fans of the other shows i mentioned and actuallyshow that we care and will support the show if NBC listen to us. GST is starting to listen, how about you Ben?
I am tuned with you. Re-Start KR08 from the public feedback is a must.

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 pm

KR08 definitely deserves another chance
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

serithwing
Stranger

Post by serithwing » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:39 pm

How can they bring back the original Kitt when he was destroied and never rebuilt? Even in the piolt movie for KR08 there was bits of him in the garage with the new Kitt. Why would the foundation rebuild an old Tech car when they have a new improved version running already. I Really want to see this show take off but i think trying to write one eppisode with both the old and new Kitt in it would be like the original star trek eppisodes when they go back in time to the 20th century. if it was not like that it would probaly have a plot hole in it big enough to park a city bus in. I for one love the new KR08

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:47 pm

You have to remember that GST was given permission to basically forget about the Feb 08 movie...he took bits and pieces and went with that.

Currently, we do not have the whereabouts of Sr and KI2T at this time.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:51 pm

I think I'm the one who's gonna get Boo'ed

In all honesty, I. Can't. Stand. David. HassleCough.
Never liked him, not even in Knight Rider. Didn't like his charactor, didn't like his acting.
I watched the show because of KI2T and only because of KI2T.

Now on the other hand, I really like Justin. He's a Mike Knight for my generation, I connect with his charactor, I like his acting style and how well he does connect with a "non"-talking car.

This show deserves a second season, just like the original that struggled through the first season (with bad acting, bad writing and bad real/faked effects), it needs it's time to become another classic.
And given how awesome the past 3 episodes were, I believe the rest of the season's gonna be ledgend .......................................................................wait for it

...................dary
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:19 pm

I think original KITT and Micheal should make an appearance hear and there. Or just have flash back once in a while. KI3T gets in predicament a searches his database to see what the original might have done. I agee with moving forward, but a little tie to the old will keep fans of both watching

serithwing
Stranger

Post by serithwing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Oh i agree with the flash back to the old idea might be a nice touch. there is some ties to the old show like the foundation seems to be around a bit the older guy ( his name excapes me atm) was one of the founders who made the original kitt ( yes i know he is dead now). Heck for the TKR fans out there they redid the useing a plane as a mobile base idea from the TKR series. I will continue to watch the show i am loveing it and if it does get droped by nbc i hope some other station picks it up and runs with it. I been a knight rider fan since i was a child and the original was new.

:karr:

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 pm

I will probably be lynched for saying this, but I don't care.
My reaction to the idea of sticking the Hoff and KI2T into the new KR can be summed up with a simple HELL NO. I saw something like this happen to a show I once watched, it was completely and unilaterally ruined by the change, and I don't want the same thing happening to Knight Rider. It's suffered enough already as a result of NBC's total lack of promotion and lousy timeslot assignment.

As to a Second Season, and as much as I hate to say it, I doubt it will happen at this point - NBC simply does not seem committed to Knight Rider at all, which makes me wonder why they even bothered in the first place.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

KittKattBar
Volunteer

Post by KittKattBar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I think NBC would have been more committed if so many people hadn't started slamming the show from the first episode. So many idiot haters and trolls wouldn't even give the show a chance to find its legs.
My next car will be a 2010 Shelby Mustang!

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:12 pm

WIBoomer1 wrote:You have to remember that GST was given permission to basically forget about the Feb 08 movie...he took bits and pieces and went with that.

Currently, we do not have the whereabouts of Sr and KI2T at this time.
Michael Sr did play a part in Jr's currently job, he did convince Mike to make a difference. As for the original KITT he's probably still in Graiman's garage at the house that was shown in the feb movie.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm

KittKattBar wrote:I think NBC would have been more committed if so many people hadn't started slamming the show from the first episode. So many idiot haters and trolls wouldn't even give the show a chance to find its legs.
It was the press that hammered this show. I don't think there was a single journalist or publication that didn't at least poke fun at the show if not completely tear it apart. Problem is the show didn't really prove them wrong until just recently. By that time the general public already wrote it off.

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:29 am

K.A.C.I. wrote:I will probably be lynched for saying this, but I don't care.
My reaction to the idea of sticking the Hoff and KI2T into the new KR can be summed up with a simple HELL NO. I saw something like this happen to a show I once watched, it was completely and unilaterally ruined by the change, and I don't want the same thing happening to Knight Rider. It's suffered enough already as a result of NBC's total lack of promotion and lousy timeslot assignment.

As to a Second Season, and as much as I hate to say it, I doubt it will happen at this point - NBC simply does not seem committed to Knight Rider at all, which makes me wonder why they even bothered in the first place.
I really dont get why people think like this.
The show is a failure.
The ratings are horrible.
Having the originals back will up the ratings.

What dont you people get?!!?

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:32 am

KittKattBar wrote:I think NBC would have been more committed if so many people hadn't started slamming the show from the first episode. So many idiot haters and trolls wouldn't even give the show a chance to find its legs.
Wot rot.

If GST hasn't of made crap, then people wouldnt have called it that.

If we said we liked it when we actually didnt like it..then we still would have had crap.

djmoves
Volunteer

Post by djmoves » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:41 am

Hello everone, look i'm a big fan of TOS but were in the 21st century now, we have a brand new KR. Get out of the 80's and smell the 00's. The new KR started off ok and now it's great, getting on par with TOS. If we brought back all the old characters and cars what would make the show refreshing and new and right for the times we are in now??? the new KITT is great Val Kilmer is doing a great job, the CGI has improved alot and the acting and stories are much better, good enough to justify a second season. Yes it's nice to have some of the old elements back but stop going on about the timeline, to me as a fan of TOS im really not bothered as long as it's good, and it is. It would be nice to have the Hoff back in a Devon type roll. That would keep me happy and I'd still be happy if they didn't. Just enjoy ther show as it is while it's here and look forward to the new movie if it happens. Just face up to the fact you will never see the original KITT again, William Daniels or most of the original characters, deal with it and just enjoy this great show. I've had my say now, deep breathe lol tc guys. :karr:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 am

Stealthwalker wrote:KR08 definitely deserves another chance
I agree especially after the how the reboot connected the show with the TOS mythos in very important ways...

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:00 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:I really dont get why people think like this.
The show is a failure.
The ratings are horrible.
Having the originals back will up the ratings.

What dont you people get?!!?
NO. NO. NO!
Did you even read my post in its entirety?
Let me try saying that again: I HAVE SEEN IT DONE. IT DOES NOT WORK.

If you want to see the originals, watch the damn DVDs and leave KR08 alone.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:21 am

Is it me, or is it that most of the haters just want a TOS clone? I mean Knight Rider is not Knight Rider without the main elements, but this is 2009, not 1982. Things have changed, and some of the technology that was just considered sci-fi in the 80's is now reality. Take video chat in TOS, it wasn't considered realistic at that time,but now t's widely used today, like in webchat, and even it's considered an important mode of communication for Deaf people (I know that because I know some Deaf people), they use video phones. It was just a thing that was considered futuristic for TOS isn't futuristic now because it's all a part of today. So we have to add some things that could be at times far-fetched, like transforming.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:Is it me, or is it that most of the haters just want a TOS clone? I mean Knight Rider is not Knight Rider without the main elements, but this is 2009, not 1982. Things have changed, and some of the technology that was just considered sci-fi in the 80's is now reality. Take video chat in TOS, it wasn't considered realistic at that time,but now t's widely used today, like in webchat, and even it's considered an important mode of communication for Deaf people (I know that because I know some Deaf people), they use video phones. It was just a thing that was considered futuristic for TOS isn't futuristic now because it's all a part of today. So we have to add some things that could be at times far-fetched, like transforming.
That's is exactly the vibe I'm getting, they want an 80's Transam with 80's tech, an 80's Semi with 80's computers and so on and so off... :x Anything outside of those parameters and the show automatically totally sucks and they wish it gone etc, etc. The haters want the K.R franchise to forever die so it can only be theirs alone in their stupid fanclubs for all time...

KittKattBar
Volunteer

Post by KittKattBar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 am

The haters don't get that 25 years have elapsed since TOS ended. Times and technology have changed. If KR08 were to only do stuff like in the 80s, then it really would suck. The show has to be modern and use modern technology if it's to have a chance. Those who want 80s stuff just need to watch TOS on DVD.
My next car will be a 2010 Shelby Mustang!