1.08 - Trust Doesn't Rust

This forum contains discussions about the locations used for the 1982 series.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro, Joe Huth

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

1.08 - Trust Doesn't Rust

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Welcome to the Trust Doesn't Rust locations thread!

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

JJohnson
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: 1.08 - Trust Doesn't Rust

Post by JJohnson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Near the end, Michael and KITT pass a very 80's KFC (possibly this one: 991 S Catalina St, Los Angeles, CA 90006; since it soon passes an intersection after KFC), and just before a Magnolia Bl or St. between 38:10 and 38:40. I don't know if they're still there.

After KARR turbo-boosts out, there's a Baker Engineering Corporation on a red brick building (42:22) near the 'county warehouse' followed by a mention of I-90 North which heads the same way as the coastal road, whatever that might be.

Long bridge - possibly stock footage from No Big Thing, then more stock footage. From here, they end up at Seal Beach where he is later found in season 3.

JJohnson
Rookie

Post by JJohnson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:12 am

I can't find the Three Rings, which appears to be the corner of 9th St and Pacific Av (800 S?). There's a Thrifty drug store and a Firestone there, which may or may not be there today. I'm guessing Los Angeles?

Okay: W 9th St and S Pacific Ave in San Pedro, CA. Kragen Auto Parts is in the place where Thrifty was, and El Taco is where the Three Rings was.

iGav
Rookie

Post by iGav » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:03 am

I saw the request for this location after having a nose on the ‘Knight Rider Historians Facebook page’.

Actually a super-easy find this one… because I already recognised it basically… :D

This scene was filmed on Artemus St (Just off S Mission Road) in the Wholesale/Warehouse district of Los Angeles.

Also, the loading bay of the building (the one with the truck outside) was the location used for the exterior of the Street Hawk HQ, this is the building Street Hawk would jump out of.

34° 2'34.19"N
118°13'36.30"W

Interestingly the location where KITT is trashed by the Juggernaut in ‘Knight of the Juggernaut’ is located about 500 metres behind the Street Hawk HQ location, on the other side of the LA River.

Also… for those that are interested, I’ve quite a few locations I hope to add over this coming week. 8)

SouthernKnight
Volunteer

Post by SouthernKnight » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:31 pm

I was watching Trust Doesn't Rust, and A Plush Ride on Saturday night, and it reminded me of somethin I've wanted to ask for yonks now. In the episode A Plush Ride, Michael visit's Redmond's Victory academy, it looks like a sporting field with bungalows for people to board/sleep there. What is that place, and where is it? I noticed too that the front of that same place appears in Trust Doesn't Rust, where Tony drives K.A.R.R to the County Warehouse, to knock off gems/jewellry stored there. Anybody got any ideas what Redmond's Victory Academy is?

iGav
Rookie

Post by iGav » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:07 am

Oooh, this location was on my list of locations I was planning to add this week. ;) Anyway, here you go SouthernKnight. :good:

The scene in ‘Trust Doesn't Rust’ where Tony drives KARR to the entrance of the County Warehouse is simply footage reused from ‘A Plush Ride’ and was filmed at Camp David Gonzales (a secure detention camp for delinquent minors in juvenile rehabilitation programs).

Camp David Gonzales
1301 Las Virgenes Rd,
Calabasas
CA 91302

34° 5'15.35"N
118°42'28.65"W

Entrance Gate KARR pulls up to
34° 5'17.46"N
118°42'26.87"W

I’ve also updated the ‘A Plush Ride’ thread to reflect this location too, but with additional information as well.

SouthernKnight
Volunteer

Post by SouthernKnight » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Ahhhh thanks for that info iGav bro, much appreciated by that. Was it discontinued for use as a detention centre by then, if that's what they used it for? By the look of the place, it doesn't seem secure. I'm from Downunder, so I'm not American........I remember wondering seein the episode for the 1st time in the 80's, if perhaps they'd used it for summer camps, since I figured summer camps were a big deal Stateside.....it seemed like a good place for a summer camp, plenty of room for sport, athletics and accomodation and whatnot. It never really struck me as a juvenile detention facility......I wasn't expecting that answer:P

iGav
Rookie

Post by iGav » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Well I’m British so… ;)

I don’t think it’s a detention centre how you and I think of them, from what I understand Camp David (and the camp detention centres in general) are geared towards youth training and rehabilitation rather than being a detention centre in a ‘prison’ type context, so I suspect their idea of ‘secure’ is very, very different to that of a prison for example. From what I gather it's still very much in use.

I very much doubt it has ever been used for a Summer Camp… imagine your parents dropping you off at the gate, and being dwarfed by those 12ft walls surrounding the place… “you’ve been sentenced to summer camp son…”. :shock:

There’s quite a few of these camps located in and around LA County, all essentially follow the same layout, a sports field which is surrounded by accommodation huts and which is then ringed by either a wall or fence.

SouthernKnight
Volunteer

Post by SouthernKnight » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Ahhhhhhhh UK Bloke then, where from? Spent 15 years in the Australian S.A.S, got quite a few good mates even still from the British Regiment.........great bunch of Blokes

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTfan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:09 am

Very cool finds! I love Street Hawk as well so great to know the HQ jump location too :) Looking forward to see what else you have found.

iGav
Rookie

Post by iGav » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 am

SouthernKnight wrote:Ahhhhhhhh UK Bloke then, where from? Spent 15 years in the Australian S.A.S, got quite a few good mates even still from the British Regiment.........great bunch of Blokes
Apologies for the delay in replying to you fella, I've not had chance to get on the forums these last couple of weeks. I was born in Warwickshire (in the middle), but I was also brought up in Berkshire (in the south) and Yorkshire (in the north), which meant that every new region we moved too, people inevitably took the piss out of my previous accent. :x Made for a diverse upbringing, but has ultimately left me with a sense of not really considering any one place as my ’home’ so to speak.

Australian S.A.S though... blimey. :good:
KITTfan wrote:Very cool finds! I love Street Hawk as well so great to know the HQ jump location too :) Looking forward to see what else you have found.
I’ve just updated the ‘Big Iron’ and ‘Knight Moves’ threads, there’s some more locations I need to add to both of those (as soon as I get the chance) and I’ve quite a few more locations as well that need adding… it’s just finding the time to sort and upload them all really.

SouthernKnight
Volunteer

Post by SouthernKnight » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 am

Ahhhhhhhhh Yorkshire. *Cues Monty Python's 4 Yorkshiremen:"Who'd have thought 30 year ago, we'd all be sitting here drinkin Château de Chasselas eh? In them days, we'd have been glad to have the price of a cup of tea. A cup o' cold tea. Without milk or sugar......or tea!!!*" I just couldn't help myself mate:P