not for TKR fans

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

li
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

not for TKR fans

Post by li » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:49 pm

since the only thing that looks like KR on our cable company is TKR I found myself watching one of the episodes today, and I've been thinking...

the cars have no special features like turbo boosts, ski modes etc. except weapons and lazer that look as convincing as the power rangers.

the issues that they deal with are so far from reality, unlike KR who dealt with issues like preserving the environment and others.
Kyle is more of a father figure to his fellow kids operatives than having any resemlance to Michael's witty figure,
there are no witty dialogues, and that heavy breather on the wheel chair?
please!

is that what the writers/producers had to do to KR in order to sell it in today's market?
in order to make today's kids like it?
will the new movie go down that road?

IMO, the only thing good about tkr are the Michael and KITT's mentions, thrown as crumbs to us KR fans, in order to keep us waiting for the next episode, waiting to find out what ever happened to Michael Knight after he left the new red kitt and walked over to his light blue chevi...

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

not for TKR fans

Post by Centaurus17 » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:53 pm

I have to agree with Li. While i was greatful that some memory of KR was preserved in TKR, i was immediately turned off by the absurd plot twists, and the cars with nothing but high tech weapons, as Li pointed out.

I totally agree and im hoping as well that the new movie doesnt go down this road.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

not for TKR fans

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:48 pm

Mmmkay, for starters, the events of Knight Rider 2000 do not fit in with TKR at all, TKR had a time line around 1997, while KR had an established time frame of 2000. So, technically the stuff they threw out from TKR, had nothing to do with Knight Rider 2000.

Next, that was Copp and Goodman's vision of what they wanted to do with KR, not what was needed to sell it. Just like Knight Rider 2000, where the network made the main decisions where the storyline would go, it was up to the creators, and well, they just went....in their own direction.

I, too am hoping that the movie won't be going in that same strange direction, but under the hopes that Larson and Hasselhoff are actually fully involved this time, there is some hope that we might get something decent out of it.

knightimmortal

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

not for TKR fans

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:57 pm

KITT and original Knight Rider forever!
[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

li
Volunteer

not for TKR fans

Post by li » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:19 pm

I sure hope that D.H has a secretary who's taking notes from this board (and possibly others), reporting to him what KR fans really want [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

not for TKR fans

Post by Johnathan Kent » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:51 pm

I think the only likeable episode from TKR was KRO, and that had plenty of KR references, but you know it sucks so bad that Columbia House won't even sell the episodes for TKR

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

not for TKR fans

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:57 pm

Which would you rather have CH selling? The 80's shows, and maybe completing the series, (big maybe) or catering to our every programming want, and not completing anything?

Food for thought.

knightimmortal

Karrs_Shadow
Volunteer

not for TKR fans

Post by Karrs_Shadow » Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:09 am

I agree about the KRO episode...that one had more potential then a lot of epps in the series. I sorta wish that they had made that on at least a two part episode. Add in a little more history and all that fun stuff. They really didn't explain why KRO did the things he did except for that he was mind merged with his driver. More info on the matrix that was installed would have been nice but what can ya do?

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

not for TKR fans

Post by krfan1 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:13 am

KRO was cool!!! KRO was my fav vehicle in the series and then Plato. Plato says a lot of funny cryptic things.

Nick

Smoothy
Rookie

not for TKR fans

Post by Smoothy » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:35 am

Personally having been brought up on the original Knight Rider on it's first run opn ITV in the UK, I don't count anything else that uses the Knight Rider name as being a part of Knight Rider at all. That said, I've watched a few TKR episodes (when it first came on ITV a few years ago) and well... it wasn't too bad. Granted, it seemed very cheesey and more in common with typical low-budget American shows like The Bold and The Beautiful, etc. but I did like the way they used some of the history of the original Knight Rider in the storyline. For example, there was a few episodes that had something to do with some secret KITT chips that had been preserved, am I right? And didn't Michael Knight, presumed 6-feet under, come back at the end of one? Wasn't there some sort of a big cover up at FLAG?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

not for TKR fans

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:31 pm

Um, guys, this is one area where you need to be a little nicer about it. You can't prohibit us from talking about a show that is not freely aired. If it were a current thing, yeah, then spoilers are required, but we have been talking about TKR/KR2K/and even KR2010 for some time around here, naturally. Rather simplistically if you don't want spoilers of something that you may not see, then don't look in the threads.

knightimmortal

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

not for TKR fans

Post by Centaurus17 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:19 pm

No one's prohibiting anyone from posting it. But a **SPOILER** warning on the thread title might help. This way, someone can see parts of the thread and not see certain messages, instead of completely missing out on the thread.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

not for TKR fans

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:50 pm

Do we have to do that with every thread here? I'm sorry, but that is pushing things a little too far.

This is a Knight Rider Discussion Board. We come to discuss Knight Rider and it's incarnations. Are we going to start saying that nitpicks are giving away internal plotlines, and should have spoiler warnings for the original series? How about episode guides?

As scary as this may sound coming from me, that is WAY too limiting, and extremely too strict.

knightimmortal

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

not for TKR fans

Post by Centaurus17 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:56 pm

Of course this is not what i meant. That is obviously a lot more different then describing the cliffhanger ending of a whole series, or the ending video clip of an upgaming game.

If you guys dont like it, that's cool with me. I was merely suggesting it as a form of decency towards others.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Centaurus17 ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

not for TKR fans

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:09 pm

The cliffhanger ending of the series from 1997 does not fall into the same area as a video game that is to be released in the future. Every single episode guide out there gives that away, and it has been discussed many times on the board.

There is also the decency to not restrict speech of others for something like that. I am sorry if you don't like it that way.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

not for TKR fans

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:16 pm

Actually, as odd as it may seem, I attend a horror movie message board, and they do exactly what one of the posters requested of this forum. Maybe it's me being used to it on the other forum but I don't think it's strict. If people don't want to bump into information they don't want to see then they have a right not to so a 'spoiler' alert won't hurt anyone at all. It won't affect anything, just the people that don't want the information.

I, personally, don't think it will change anything around here.

Just my few P's.

Skav

Skav
FLAG Operative

not for TKR fans

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:23 pm

Mind you, KI....I see your point. I don't know how you can put up a spoiler alert on KR, especially when it's THE talk of the forum. There'd be spoiler alerts everywhere.

Maybe only on BIG things,huh? Like the new movie when it gets released or something, then if someone has already seen it then the spoiler tag can go up.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

not for TKR fans

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:34 pm

I am not saying get rid of the spoiler tags. I am saying that we do not need them on plotline descriptions of these older shows, when it is the focus of this discussion board, and even if you do put a spoiler mid-thread, does that mean that if they go back out of spoiler land later on in the thread, those replies will be ignored? That's not fair, either. New stuff less than four years old, with plot points, may need a spoiler, but other than that, it's really being restrictive, and heading towards ridiculous.

Thanks for seeing both points of the view, Skav. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

neps
Site Administrator

not for TKR fans

Post by neps » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>Maybe only on BIG things,huh? Like the new movie when it gets released or something, then if someone has already seen it then the spoiler tag can go up.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, so here we go.

Spoiler warnings for things older than 4 years should not be a requirement. If the person posting it feels it should contain a spoiler warning, they are free to do so, but its not mandatory.

Things newer than that should contain a warning. Discussing the plot in anything more than general summary should be spoilered. Talking about the movie or the new game is fine, but when you talk about the ending or who is teaming up with who, then it should have a spoiler warning. I myself have already broken this rule with posting the outro video of the knight rider game, it wont happen again.

Spoilers don't have to be called out in the title of the thread, unless the author is specifically discussing a spoiler. Those appearing in a thread should be treated as such.

*****BEGIN SPOILER********

Garth is Wilton Knights SON!!

********END SPOILER********

(bangs gavel on desk) court is adjured.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: neps ]

Skav
FLAG Operative

not for TKR fans

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:51 pm

************SPOILER***************

Michael Knight is Michael Long.

KITT is a car...no, not a spaceship, that was Star Wars, ya hear me?

LOL!!!

Skav

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

not for TKR fans

Post by krfan1 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:16 am

Yeah that was the last episode of TKR
[edited]

Sorry, I figured most people reading this would already have seen the season end

Nick

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: krfan1 ]

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: krfan1 ]

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

not for TKR fans

Post by K.I.T.T » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by krfan1:
<STRONG>Yeah that was the season ender, a cliffhanger. KITT was stored in SkyOne and Mobius took him. KITT left a set of cordinates. When the team got there, they saw Knights gravestone. Then Michael appeared out of nowhere. It was sad another season didn't hapen. It would've been good.

Nick

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: krfan1 ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There may be many people including myself who have not seen TKR, and at some point may want to see it.

K.I.T.T

jared
Stranger

not for TKR fans

Post by jared » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:47 pm

Getting back on topic... am I the only one who LIKED Team Knight Rider?!

Of course it wasn't the original - it wasn't supposed to be, and it couldn't be if it wanted to. Those days are gone - the movie won't be the original, so I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna be pretty upset...

Anyway, I think under the layer of justifiable cheese lies a pretty dang decent show, all things considered. The story archs that spanned the entire season is one thing the original never had! And yes, there is some good, witty dialogue in TKR (along with some horrible cheese that would make anyone hang their head - but what can you expect given the kind of show it was?), and likeable characters (sometimes the acting could use a little work, and I agree that the cars should have done more like the original), but I think a large deal of this TKR slander is unwarranted; I'm not saying anybody has to like it, just that I think people throw it away without giving it the chance it deserves, on its own merits, and appreciate this brief fresh breath of life for our beloved franchise.

I've said my piece - wish I had time to go into more detail, but there it is!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

not for TKR fans

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:54 pm

Wait, you just basically gave the equivalent of a 'maybe' to whether you like TKR or not. You said just as many negatives as you did positives.

As a stand alone show, it would have been great. As part of the KR family, it sucked. Reinventions of the original are other people's way of capitalizing on their own ideas, but since they are unable to make it fly on their own, they attach it to something that is already a success. The TV graveyard is full of these types of shows that fail, and until somebody gets a hint, it will continue to be this way.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

not for TKR fans

Post by Skav » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:10 am

As a stand alone series, which I did try to view it as...well, had no choice since there is the fact that it DID look like a brand new tv show with no relation to the original series, i still found it to be too mundane. It had a 'tv series' feel to it...something which I didn't feel with the original series and the characters were like something out of a 'Goonies' film.

The cars lacked the charm and personality of KITT. Compared to KITT, KITT seemed way more mature than these computers for cars.

They tried humour in the series and that failed, big time. 'Beast' had the best personality of all the car's but still fell short I think where as KITT would actually back up his words and do something about something where as Beast just threatened and was just grumpy. It got quite lame, tbh.

The stories...well, don't even go there. none of them made sense, nor did the scenes.

It was just a bunch of incoherent trash!

Skav