1/18 Die Cast Ertl KARR Coming This Summer

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:51 pm

At last, the 1:18 scale die cast KARR is finally here. It seemed like an eternity waiting for them to come out, but it was well worth the wait. I kept checking at all the hobby stores and online die cast shops, only to find that they were either on pre-order or out of stock. I just happened to stumble across them on Ebay, where there was an endless supply. I purchased a pair of KARR's to match up with my KITT's, one for display and the other to keep boxed up in storage. Now all that remains is for ERTL to come out with a FLAG 1 Semi and/or a Goliath. :D

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 am

Or even better, Season 3/4 K.I.T.T. (Simple enough to make) and SPM K.I.T.T.!!! Dare we dream?!?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:59 am

I'd be content with a die-cast Super Pursuit Mode K.I.T.T. But the likelihood of all the extensions being accurate is low, in my opinion. I mean, KITT wasn't exactly a really difficult car to design accurately and we ended up with a hybrid of all the seasons, rather than a particular one. Still, an inaccurate SPM KITT is better than no SPM KITT!

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:48 am

What ERTL should have done with the KITT & KARR die cast models was to add voice boxes where they would say key phrases or ever better, have them interact with one another, sort of like the Star Wars Darth Maul, Obi Wan, Qui-Gon interactive toys, where we see them fighting one another. :D
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:45 pm

KNIGHT RAIDER wrote:What ERTL should have done with the KITT & KARR die cast models was to add voice boxes where they would say key phrases or ever better, have them interact with one another, sort of like the Star Wars Darth Maul, Obi Wan, Qui-Gon interactive toys, where we see them fighting one another. :D
They did...well, for K.I.T.T. anyway. Unfortunately this new added sound chip only speaks Japanese phrases, though. A case of too little, too late, in my opinion.

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:59 am

Um... does KARR really have no license plate? And if so, will ERTL fix that?
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." (Optimus Prime)

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:26 pm

Zeitgeist wrote:Um... does KARR really have no license plate? And if so, will ERTL fix that?
If ERTL releases a second version, then they will probably fix it. But if KARR doesn't sell well worldwide, then I really doubt we will be seeing a fixed version.

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:37 am

As Dr. Doom says: "BAH!"

I´ll probably buy KARR anyway... :wink:

But he doesn´t have a red scanner, does he?

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:40 am

The way I see it, we've waited over 20 years for this. Let's not nitpick and enjoy what we have.
Phil

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:11 pm

PBH wrote:The way I see it, we've waited over 20 years for this. Let's not nitpick and enjoy what we have.
I just don´t understand, why ERTL didn´t give him his license plate. I mean, the Aoshima KARR has one. Come to think of it, it kind of underlines his prototype character... :D

But he does have a yellow/amber scanner, right? ERTL didn´t just give him KITTs red scanner?

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:57 am

I just received my die cast KARR and everything looks authentic, all except for the front signal lights not being amber/yellow, which clashes with the fog lights and the missing license plate which to me is an important feature. Other than that, the car looks great. Both die cast KITT & KARR really look cool together, especially when facing forward nose to nose. :D

Maybe I will have KITT & KARR posed where both of their grappling hooks are attached to one another, as they are engaged in a tug of war contest to see who the better car is. :D
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:13 pm

KNIGHT RAIDER wrote:I just received my die cast KARR and everything looks authentic, all except for the front signal lights not being amber/yellow, which clashes with the fog lights and the missing license plate which to me is an important feature. Other than that, the car looks great. Both die cast KITT & KARR really look cool together, especially when facing forward nose to nose. :D

Maybe I will have KITT & KARR posed where both of their grappling hooks are attached to one another, as they are engaged in a tug of war contest to see who the better car is. :D
Where/who did you get yours from?

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:13 pm

is it a matt or glossy silver on the ERTL KARR model?

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:25 pm

I purchased my die cast KARR off Ebay for $24.95. The lower silver half of KARR is somewhat glossy, but not as smooth as the upper black section.

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:27 pm

I purchased my die cast KARR off Ebay for $24.95. The lower silver half of KARR is somewhat glossy, but not as smooth as the upper black section.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Who was the seller, how much was the shipping and how quick was the delivery? I may look to eBay as well.
Phil

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:11 pm

KNIGHT RAIDER wrote:all except for the front signal lights not being amber/yellow, which clashes with the fog lights and the missing license plate which to me is an important feature.
Huh? Do you mean that K.A.R.R.'s scanner is still amber and the fog lights are all clear?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Ben_KNIGHT
Rookie

Post by Ben_KNIGHT » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:42 am

andy-kitt, I have a question for you.
Can you make a K.A.R.R. for me? with openings in stead of foglights? 8)

thnx man!

Ben Prins

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:01 pm

Sure mate, the same as my others?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:19 am

Why is the ERTL model of KARR missing the license plates!!!!!???? What is ERTL doing!!!!

And the foglights look really weird......

In my opinion, this model of KARR from ERTL is a disappointment... No license plates and halfway done foglights.. Its like ERTL rushed into releasing the model..

More pics here guys >>> http://www.idcow.com/etl2085.html

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:29 pm

I agree it doesn't look well done. And KARR did NOT have a clutch, neither did KITT! As far as I remember anyway. That would been a moot point since they are both computerized and thus automatic in transmission.

When I first heard that the diecasts were going to come out for KITT and KARR I initially was excited. But after seeing pictures of them post-release, all I can say is that I'm greatly disappointed. :( I had expected at least better quality and attention to detail for this type of price.

Oh well, I'll just build my own from the AMT/ERTL reissue kits. :)

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:57 pm

These are the better fog lamps as they don't have dots, but i'm sure KARR only had twin fog lamps not triple. Why something as simple as getting the silver right I don't know. They obviously haven't researched it, just remembered it had a silver bottom so thats what they did

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:55 am

I must say that my Aoshima 1/18 KARR looks better than ERTL's.... ERTL's KARR is just disappointing..

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Well, it turns out that I'm glad I got the Aoshima version of K.A.R.R. a year ago. Sure it was a lot of money, but I'm glad I didn't wait a year and a half just to be ultimately disappointed. How can they not just print up a plate decal?! How much more effort would it have taken? It's a DECAL!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:34 pm

imranbecks wrote:I must say that my Aoshima 1/18 KARR looks better than ERTL's.... ERTL's KARR is just disappointing..
Whats the difference? KARR licence plate & white tyre writing??