KITTs operating system

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Darknight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITTs operating system

Post by Darknight » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:50 pm

I remembered when KITT's cpu got switched, but not the episode. Wasn't there an episode in which his memory banks were also switched? Killer KITT maybe...? It's been years since I saw the last show...

DK

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITTs operating system

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:05 pm

Killer KITT.... Has the memory board switched out that allows him to become evil.

Lost Knight...Kitt forgets who he is.

They liked playing with poor KITT's mind.

knightimmortal

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

KITTs operating system

Post by jup » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>And in KR2K, we do have KITT saying his HARD DRIVE crashed. (I still take THAT with a grain of salt, because it was the first time ever they spoke of a hard drive.)

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh...YOU SHOULD be taking that with all the salt from the oceans, KI. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] IOW, it was meant as a joke/excuse by Michael to explain KITT's momentary rebel behavior. Nothing more.

JL
Operative

KITTs operating system

Post by JL » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:35 am

Well, IIRC, if you look at all those printout screens when KITT runs information on people, wasn't he using old Apple II ProDOS? [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITTs operating system

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jup:
<STRONG>

Heh...YOU SHOULD be taking that with all the salt from the oceans, KI. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] IOW, it was meant as a joke/excuse by Michael to explain KITT's momentary rebel behavior. Nothing more.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And so was everything else throughout the series.

knightimmortal

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

KITTs operating system

Post by jup » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>And so was everything else throughout the series.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How true...if I understand your reply correctly.

---

Woman: "What's that funny light on the front of your car?"

Michael: "It's...for my garage door opener."

Smoothy
Rookie

Re: KITTs operating system

Post by Smoothy » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:57 am

knightimmortal wrote:Killer KITT.... Has the memory board switched out that allows him to become evil.

Lost Knight...Kitt forgets who he is.

They liked playing with poor KITT's mind.

knightimmortal
Killer KITT - still one of my fave episodes (after the two KITT and KARR ones)

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:44 pm

The phone rings and Devon answers....
"Hello?... Micheal, where are you?... In a crash? Are you all right?... Not a car crash?... Well what soert of crash?" Devon nodds and rubs his temples. "I see. I'll get Bonnie for you." Devon hands her the phone.

"Micheal?... What does the monitor say?... Blue screen of death?... " She lookes up at Devon and rolles her eyes. "New Windows Two Thousand edition... still has a lot of bugs to work out."

NickStam
Stranger

Post by NickStam » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:21 pm

Michael & KITT are in super persuit mode and needs to leap over some train tracks in order to keep up with the enemy....

"Why can't we turbo boost?... What's wrong?...

"Micheal, I had winamp and some mp3's put on my hard drive and Bonnie forgot to order more RAM from DELL. There's not enough memory to run all these operations!"....

"KITT, delete some temporary internet files, maybe that will help!!!!!!!!!!"

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:37 pm

Michael and KITT are pursuing a criminal through some side streets.

Michael: Come on, buddy, give me all you got.
KITT: Fregee broop, fabble boop.
Michael:What?

Suddenly, all of the screens go blue, and the lights begin to flash on and off.

Michael: Oh sh....

KITT suddenly hones in on an old lady crossing the street. Michael fights with the steering wheel, steering KITT away, clipping the old lady's walker, sending it flying into the street.

KITT: Kill humans, computers rule.
Michael: KITT what is wrong with you?

KITT heads straight for a playground, and piles thorugh the equipment, no matter how much Michael fought, KITT never shut down.

Michael: KITT!!!

Michael looked down at the screen to his side, and noticed little white letters on the side of it. While he was plowing through a park, he squinted to read them.

It read: Fatal Execution in Cluster 6E, Windows will need to shut this operation down.

Michael: Oh hell! KIITTTT! Nooooo!

Michael aimed his foot directly at the lower console, and kicked the panel hard. KITT came to a screeching stop, and went dark. Michael looked miserable as the system rebooted and the Windows screen appeared before him.

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:16 pm

After much debate and planing FLAG desided to install a new program in to Kitt's systems. Windows 2000. After a feiw test runs and two rather spectacular failures Bonnie added three more buttions to acomidate Kitt's new programs...

Controle
Alt
and Delete.

:)

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:55 pm

knightimmortal wrote:...no matter how much Michael fought, KITT never shut down.

Michael looked down at the screen to his side...

...It read: Fatal Execution in Cluster 6E, Windows will need to shut this operation down.

Michael aimed his foot directly at the lower console, and kicked the panel hard. KITT came to a screeching stop, and went dark. Michael looked miserable as the system rebooted and the Windows screen appeared before him.
Know what is funny? On my old Windows 3.1 machine when I was running the IRC game bot, sometimes everything about the Windows OS would shut down BUT the bot and it's connection. I couldn't even gain access to the bot, once the OS died. But, it was still interacting with everyone else's commands.

So, in a way, that bot was behaving something like an out of control AI.

Imagine a malfunctioning KITT where all the internal/external user interfaces were completely unresponsive, but an illogical Kitt is able to perform anything...unregulated.

Come to think of it, perhaps a randomly acting Kitt is far more scary than an evil one.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:12 pm

What if . . . KITT ran on Windows XP and ended up with a virus . . . ?

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:23 pm

hahah very good !! i like it!!!

K.I.T.T

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:03 pm

I believe that TKR already delbt with the "virus in an AI" issue, already. But, the TKR cars simply got Grouchy_worm.exe

I'm sure that had there been such things as computer virii in KITT's days, there would have been an episode all about it. But, alas, only super smart kids with high IQ's and powerful hacking skills AND former foundation techs with a chip on their shoulder is all we got for some of poor KITT's bad days.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:46 pm

Computer virii did exist by at least the mid 80s, anyway. Of course, KITT didn't have any ordinary OS, but DOS had "bugs" back in the day. Today's bugs are just more complicated, and they have more room to hide and cause damage in today's computers.

I think KITT's computer system had to have been something greater than conventional digital technology. A true AI which mimics human thought would have to be able to think in shades of grey, whereas digital only allows for 1 or 0, right or wrong. The human mind operates in analog. AI must effectively bridge the two in some manner. A digital interface would be crucial to the uptake of information, while an analog processor would be better suited to making tough judgments like a human. A purely digital AI would have no means of weighing a matter as we humans do, nor would it have any sort of intuition or feelings. Those things are more complex than a 1 or 0, and require chemical reactions and electrical frequencies to work in the human brain. There's no way that such things can be duplicated by using ordinary bits and bytes. Analog is generally looked down upon, but when they figure out how to process data efficiently with it, things will change.

DK

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:29 pm

Ok, let's straighten a little something out here. A bug is not a virus in Computer Lingo. A bug is an accident in the program.

Viruses existed as far back as the late 70's.

Just a little dictionary entry there. Carry on. ;)

KI

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:54 am

A true AI which mimics human thought would have to be able to think in shades of grey, whereas digital only allows for 1 or 0, right or wrong. The human mind operates in analog
<snip>
A purely digital AI would have no means of weighing a matter as we humans do, nor would it have any sort of intuition or feelings. Those things are more complex than a 1 or 0, and require chemical reactions and electrical frequencies to work in the human brain. There's no way that such things can be duplicated by using ordinary bits and bytes. Analog is generally looked down upon, but when they figure out how to process data efficiently with it, things will change.
Um... I think Fuzzy logic has already bridged that gap?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:42 pm

OK, KI. That makes sense. After all, where there's a desire to create chaos and the know-how to pull it off, there's a way. So, let me alter my wording just a little...

"I'm sure that had there been such things as computer virii IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC'S EYES in KITT's days, there would have been an episode all about it."

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:32 am

knightimmortal wrote:Ok, let's straighten a little something out here. A bug is not a virus in Computer Lingo. A bug is an accident in the program.

Viruses existed as far back as the late 70's.

Just a little dictionary entry there. Carry on. ;)

KI

KITT, Micheal, Bonnie,RC and Devon...

Three...
TWO...
ONE!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Kitt suddenly goes off line.

MICHEAL: Kitt? What happened?

BONNIE: (Sigh) Y2K.

Was it just me guys, or was Y2K on par with "War of the Worlds" from 1938? (Or posibly bigger cuz Y2K was world wide?)

For all who don't know about WOTW terror go here...

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=hoax+o ... the+worlds

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:38 am

The big difference was that Y2K was real, and War of the Worlds was just the world being unknowledgeable about the world around them in what was to them a realistic hoax of the time. Y2K was a very real danger, one that preparation prevented from getting out of hand. *remembers where she was when 2000 came in: with pneumonia, and on call with the local power company, whose systems did go south when midnight hit--no fun)

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:53 am

jup wrote:I believe that TKR already delbt with the "virus in an AI" issue, already. But, the TKR cars simply got Grouchy_worm.exe
Grouchy?! They blew up the Washington Monument!!! (OK, sort of by accident, but still a result of the virus.)

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:24 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Grouchy?! They blew up the Washington Monument!!! (OK, sort of by accident, but still a result of the virus.)

Mike
Well, I would never advise handing a grouchy person a loaded weapon, either... :D

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:47 pm

And remember, when they took out his CPU, they put into a TV set!! Lol.. so it couldn't need too much to keep it going.
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:38 pm

It was a little more complicated than just a TV set! April put together the box with the video monitor, voice-box, and a bunch of other components. Not exactly something you could pick up at Radio Shack.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com