O/T Leaving in 30 minutes for Dukes Film

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

O/T Leaving in 30 minutes for Dukes Film

Post by March2875 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:08 pm

I will be leaving my house in about 30 minutes to go see this Dukes Movie. Im not expecting much though, based on the previews im finding it more of an insult to the original. Its also kind of painful to go today because I was hoping so badly that our long awaited Knight Rider movie would have beaten the Dukes movie to theatres Unfortunately It didn't. I sure hope we get our film before a Dukes sequel shows up. Anyway I'll let you all know my opinion but I PROMISE I won't give any spoilers.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: O/T Leaving in 30 minutes for Dukes Film

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:12 pm

March2875 wrote:Its also kind of painful to go today because I was hoping so badly that our long awaited Knight Rider movie would have beaten the Dukes movie to theatres Unfortunately It didn't. I sure hope we get our film before a Dukes sequel shows up.
If we're going to think about this movie and the upcoming Knight Rider movie in terms of being competitors, then I think it's a good thing The Dukes Of Hazzard came out first. If there are any areas where this film doesn't work well, Hasselhoff and Larson can learn from its mistakes. Plus, with movies like The Fast and the Furious or Gone In 60 Seconds, there are plenty frames of references that can be used to make the KR film a better one.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Well I saw it. While I didn't hate it I won't ever bother to see it again either. It was just kind of there. The camera angles were incredible though and the car stunts were quite cool. The previews don't do it justice. The more recent previews made me think it was kind of corny. Its not though. Id rent the DVD just to watch the extra's alone now that might be kind of interesting.

All in all if Knight Rider was done exactly like this then I would rather they pass on making it at all.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:44 pm

I just came back from it too.

To its credit, I think it captured the tone and spirit of the original series. It sort of felt like watching a two-hour episode. The problem is, I don't think that's enough. March said it best: "it was just kind of there". What worked on a TV show 20 years ago doesn't quite cut it on the big screen today. I think you should try to raise the stakes a bit, and this movie didn't.

I do have to disagree about the cinematography though; I was disappointed in all the camera work and aside from the shot of the General leaping on to the freeway (which is in the trailer) I don't think any of the stunts were much more spectacular than what we saw back on TV. If you want to see an example of bringing car chases into the 21st century, check out (of all places) War of the Worlds. They did some amazing stuff in the scene with Tom Cruise weaving in and out of stalled traffic on the Parkway. That kind of camera work (long, continuous shots from inside the car out the road and back in again) is the kind of stuff I'd like to see in the Knight Rider movie.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:56 pm

Getting off-topic for a second, "just kind of there" seems to be the best Hollywood can do with the average movie these days. I barely go anymore for a few reasons: the few movies that are "critically acclaimed" are usually biographies that I have no interest in, and every other movie is a remake, sequel, prequel, or anything but original. [End rant.]

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:01 am

I just came back from seeing the movie here in FL. That movie was funny as hell!!!. :lol: I would see it again over and over again. Can't wait for it on DVD. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:11 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:I just came back from seeing the movie here in FL. That movie was funny as hell!!!. :lol: I would see it again over and over again. Can't wait for it on DVD. 8)
Wow you actually liked the film. Hey why is it that almost every single critic is giving bad reviews (and I mean horrible reviews) about this film?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:30 am

I'll be seeing it next week. When I was a younling we only had one TV and I could only watch one show a night and that's when KR and Dukes were both on Fridays I believe. Well needless to say you can see which show I chose. Never was a huge fan of the Dukes, watched a few shows later on SpikeTV but still didn't really catch on to it. So this will be like me watching it for the first time I guess. I imagine I'll like it. I like stupid movies like this. Plus, I won't be all hurt if they didn't do the original justice (because I wont know).

I did, however, enjoy Barbara Bach. Let me re-phrase that, I enjoyed her long legs quite a bit. My Grandfather sat next to her on a flight to Indanoplois in the early 80s (cannonball Run time frame) for the Indy 500. He said she was very nice and got her autograph.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:01 am

I'm gonna watch it for curiosity and I like the originals.

I guess stunts aren't that spectacular like war of the worlds coz there are thousands of Fords & Jeeps to throw about & wreck but Dodge Chargers are collectors items now.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:05 am

I hear 23 were abused for this film. My mother said she read somewhere that 69 Chargers jumped to about 44 grand (more if a Hemi equiped R/T) because of this film.

Too bad GM only made about a gazillion thirds gens, huh?
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:44 am

Dukes is a dumb theme. Looks ridiculous outside the Southern states of the US.

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:56 am

im thinkin about seein it too...i probly will though ;)

knightdogg
Rookie

Post by knightdogg » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:20 pm

I am not even going to bother to see it because I feel that it is an insult to the original series and the original series cast members were shut out. The only good thing is that they have the General Lee. Johnny Knoxsville and Sean William Scott have no qualities to Tom Wopat and John Schnider.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Barbara Bach? I Thought it was Catherine Bach that played the original Daisy Duke?

http://www.thedukesofhazzard.net/daisy.html

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:26 pm

rulloa81 wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:I just came back from seeing the movie here in FL. That movie was funny as hell!!!. :lol: I would see it again over and over again. Can't wait for it on DVD. 8)
Wow you actually liked the film. Hey why is it that almost every single critic is giving bad reviews (and I mean horrible reviews) about this film?
Cause they suck. :roll:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:33 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Barbara Bach? I Thought it was Catherine Bach that played the original Daisy Duke?

http://www.thedukesofhazzard.net/daisy.html
I can't keep them straight. Which one was daisy and which one was in "The Spy who Loved me?"

"Can I have you both."-old man

"Sure, we've had our shots."-2 girls

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"-old man
-From Robocop.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:48 pm

All I know, is if Jessica SImpson is playing anyone other than herself...she sucks. Crappy actress-o-rama
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:22 pm

Arjun wrote:Dukes is a dumb theme. Looks ridiculous outside the Southern states of the US.
Thats a good point. I mean how are you going to put a Confederate flag on the car and hope that the east coast and West Coast will want to watch this movie? It's kinda tough to relate to the language they use and also the acsent.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:17 am

Well, the show DID run for 8 years (?) on television, so people all across greatly accepted the southern theme.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:12 am

Well,

It made over 31.5 million this weekend so somebody is watching it. LOL.

I for one liked it and would see it again. 8)

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:14 am

knightdriver wrote:Well,

It made over 31.5 million this weekend so somebody is watching it. LOL.

I for one liked it and would see it again. 8)
I agree with knightdriver. It was #1 at the box office so someone liked it. That still doesn't mean I'll go see. Maybe I'll catch it on DVD.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:55 pm

LadyV2000, Trust me, you'll like it. 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:23 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:LadyV2000, Trust me, you'll like it. 8)
Probably, but I don't feel like spending $8 at the moment. I'm so cheap. :lol:
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:26 pm

The movie may be good. The acting may be good. The direction may be good. The special effects may be like never before. But Dukes of Hazzard is one outrageously dumb theme which will never work outside the Southern states or with people who can't identify with them. Knight Rider is popular worldwide- not just in US/UK and Australia, but also Germany, France, Finland, Sweden, Singapore, Israel and India, where people have pleasant memories of the show. The same can't be said of Dukes and an orange car jumping puddles.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:33 pm

Dukes of Hazzard is one outrageously dumb theme which will never work outside the Southern states
I'm sorry but history proves otherwise. The Dukes of Hazzard was a VERY successful TV show throughout the United States, not just in the South. It was the number one movie in the country this weekend, not just in the south. Maybe the southern theme is difficult to sell overseas, but it most definitely works here.