What do you want in the movie? 3rd gen, 4th gen, or non T/A.

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What vehicle do you want in the new KR movie?

3rd Gen (82-92) - The original 80's car is best.
62%
4th Gen KITT (93-02) - Round is the future, square is the past.
31%
Other - The T/A line is old and dead, use a REAL new car.
7%

Total votes: 45

knightrider#1fan
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightrider#1fan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:25 pm

i am not saying that. i am just saying it would not seem the same to me if it were not that way that is just my opinion. i know the foundation was/is rich and can afford it update KITT. I am a Huge Knight Rider Fan If the change a some it is fine but i just hope it is not really big changes. I am hoping this is a great movie. sry if i offended you blazefox.

K.A.R.R. Crazed
Volunteer

Post by K.A.R.R. Crazed » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:51 pm

knightrider#1fan wrote:i am not saying that. i am just saying it would not seem the same to me if it were not that way that is just my opinion. i know the foundation was/is rich and can afford it update KITT. I am a Huge Knight Rider Fan If the change a some it is fine but i just hope it is not really big changes. I am hoping this is a great movie. sry if i offended you blazefox.
I agree...

It is really amazing how "Obsessed" some people can get, it was just a TV show.

You know when I joined this forum, I thought it would be fun, an maybe to get some pointers for when I start building my K.A.R.R. TA Replica this fall, but now I'm not so sure Image

...an yes I like to use smilies, is that bad??ImageImage

I'm sorry for my comment "younger peeps" it wasn't my intent to up set someone :(

I'll try not to post anymore, simply cause I don't fit in here. I'm a Image

knightrider#1fan
Recruit

Post by knightrider#1fan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:08 pm

no that is not bad, i like to use smiles to. please do not stop posting. i have always wanted to have someone build me a KITT replica if i could come up with the money. i would like to hear some more from you on Knight rider. and from others. please don't stop posting.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:39 pm

I look at it this way. There will always be something someone doesn't like about the new movie be it the actors, locations or even clothing styles for God's sake. You can't satisfy everyone, we all know that. We all have our own opinions on how KITT should look in the new movie. Personally I like the original T/A and the possibility of a new vehicle, but nothing too futuristic. I don't want KITT to look like some UFO. Perhaps they can use both cars somehow. Firstly though, I just want to see the damn movie go into production before I can really worry about KITT's body. I also don't think we should turn this thread into a huge argument. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:15 am

Well said, Lady V. Some fans take things seriously and some don't. Neither is wrong. Just talking about ideas on what we'd like to see, is all. From what I hear, there'll be "the same car and a new car" as David Hasselhoff was quoted saying many times. I'm sure they will put out a movie that's entertaining. Some may not like it and some may.

I hated Knight Rider 2000 when I first saw it when it first aired because it wasn't KITT. But then when I saw it when I got the Season 1 DVD set, I actually liked it. I don't think I liked KITT as a big red tomato but seriously I think I could get used to it (though I hope they don't go quite that far in the new KR movie ;) )

I love the old T/As but if they have to use a newer car, a 4th Gen T/A might work. I've seen some nice ones and believe me, they look SO cool up close rather than in pictures!

As long as KITT doesn't look like the common jellybean car (every car looking the same rounded thing, etc.) then I'd be happy. And as long as William Daniels is doing the voice!

knightrider#1fan
Recruit

Post by knightrider#1fan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:29 am

Yes I can argree with you there as long as Kitt doesn't look like some common jellybean car!! yuk!! and i argree that as long they don't go so far as making him in to a big "red tomato on wheels" either"! yes the 4th gen T/As might work i have seen some of them, but it depends on which one they would use for kitt. and yes as long as they use willam daniels as the voice! it wouldn't be kitt with out him as the voice!! :D

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:32 am

knightrider#1fan wrote:the 4th gen T/As might work i have seen some of them, but it depends on which one they would use for kitt.
Cesar Gamino's is a 96 Formula, so there's no gawdy nostrils or bug-eye headlights. And the modded Banshee nose is long and smooth. The thing I always liked about KITT or the T/A in general was how well hidden the "pop-up" headlights were. You were suprised when they popped up if you didn't know they were there. It was like watching an awakening beast open its eyes.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:34 am

Army_F_Body wrote:Well I guess I'm not a real fan (odd after 23 years of viewing and owning a replica :roll: ) but I think it's time for something new. Using the old KITT would seal it's fate as a Starsky and Hutch/Dukes of Hazard 2-hour running 80s joke.
I think you misunderstood me. It's just my personal opinion that most fans would like seeing the old '82. It doesn't mean it's fact, and evidently it's not. I'm not calling anyone who doesn't agree with me not a true fan.

Anyway, I guess a cameo is good, but that method seems bland to me. So does using only a new car. It's too obvious. I mean, if you think about it, the '82 did make a cameo of sorts in Knight Rider 2000 (even if it was archival footage), and we still missed it. "A new car and the same car" sounds fine to me and sounds like it's the option that will satisfy the most people. (Even though of course it can't satisfy everyone as nothing they do could.)

What I think would be the least "played out" option would be to modify the '82 and use it as the new car. As I've said in the past, something along the lines of a watered-down Super Pursuit Mode car. I'd like to see it as a modernized 3rd generation body, just like what was done with the Ford Thunderbird and Mustang. Sharpen some lines, make it slightly more aggressive yet still sleek and clean-looking. Since doing this won't make the new K.I.T.T. a regular car like the Trans Am was, it'll keep the element of a brand new vehicle like in KR2K, but still look like something that could be released. What's wrong with a happy medium?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:15 pm

I agree with Lost Knight 100% with that option.

It would please both old school fans and hopefully, the new generation, even if they want MTV flash cuts and glossy effects in their choice of films.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:06 pm

Lost Knight - I definitely would go for that! :)

knightrider#1fan - A couple of times around here I saw I think a 2000+ Ram Air T/A or Firebird (The one with the "nostrils") and that car looked TOO SWEET! :)

Another one I like is the ultra-rare Pontiac Firehawk. But even though I like that car, I don't think even a black Firehawk would fit KITT too well.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:58 pm

I like the idea of using the original KITT, but I would also like a nice all black Ford GT, similar to the one I made for a poster contest some months ago (I know it sounds a bit over the top to use a GT), the car has this great subtle mean look to it... that in a way the Trans Am had too back in the 80's. But then again that is just my opinion :) !

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:07 pm

Well, I dunno. The GT is a sweet looking car, yes, but not quite KITT. I think I really loved KITT's sharp dart shape nose and the sleek curves of the rest of the car. That nose is what's awesome! In fact, my car has a slight dart-shaped nose as well. Hmmm... another reason I love my car so much. ;)

If they can build a car that has the sharp dart-look and maybe a higher spoiler (not too high but a bit higher), and blackouts, etc. Damn, KITT would look fine! :)

I know! Put a high spoiler on the back of a 1980s Pontiac 6000 coupe and then redo the front to be much like KITT's original! :shock: er... uh... :oops: Ok, I'll stop now. :twisted: :lol:

knightrider#1fan
Recruit

Post by knightrider#1fan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:33 pm

i just can't wait to see this movie and see what it is like! :D yes i think kitt perfered that type of nose. anyone hear any more on a release date on the movie? i can't find any info anywhere that it except that it might be something like sometime next year (like spring or fall)?

KnightRider2000
Operative

New KITT

Post by KnightRider2000 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:51 pm

I'm really bad at photoshoping in windows paint. Can someone fix the scanner, lol? THIS should be the new KITT.

-KnightRider2000

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:20 pm

KnightRider2000 - I actually like it! Not too far different but newer I guess. Only the nose should be more pointed, I think. I always hated rouded cars unless they were punch-buggies. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:56 pm

Wow, that's actually close to what I envisioned in my mind. I pictured a slightly dropped front end, giving the car an upward slant, and I also pictured that the fender vents would now be relocated to the back of the car, like with this Acura NSX. I also pictured possibly a streak going across the doors to the rear of the car. Definitely a different front nose though, much more similar to K.I.T.T.'s, and, as FuzzieDice said, more pointed. Overall, that's my rough design idea.

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:42 pm

The Acura NSX is definitely a cool car. In fact the style has stayed relatively the same since its debut year in 92. Here's a newer model.

I think I kind of prefer the older design with the flip lights.

If they could create a car that looked like that but has some features reminiscent of KITT, like the pointer nose, that car would be kick ass! :D
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:18 pm

LadyV you're right! If they used that car as a base and built on to it, adding some of KITT's more prominent features, that would really be an awesome car!

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:09 am

Lost Knight wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. It's just my personal opinion that most fans would like seeing the old '82. It doesn't mean it's fact, and evidently it's not. I'm not calling anyone who doesn't agree with me not a true fan.
My bad. I missread what you said. I'd go see the movie if they used the old KITT. Heck, I'd even see it if it was a Ford Focus. No hard feelings?

I just want change. Maybe I just like the fact that most people have no idea what my car is and I don't want the to draw attention to it like only a new movie can :lol:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:45 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:
My bad. I missread what you said. I'd go see the movie if they used the old KITT. Heck, I'd even see it if it was a Ford Focus. No hard feelings?
Of course not! I guess the bottom line here is that obviously different fans want different things, so what can these guys really do? If it were me in charge, I'd see it as two options:

1) Doing my own thing with my own vision and hopefully people will follow along for the ride.

2) Try to please the fans and give them what they'd like to see. And also to think more in terms of it being their movie, not my movie.

I go with option 2. If you take music albums for example (coughMetallicacough), doing your own thing can severely backfire. Entertainers/producers/directors are in the industry to entertain, so they should do that the best way possible. And that is to keep fans' best interests in mind. And so I'm thinking their line of reasoning is to use both cars so that they can satisfy the most people. Of course, "doing your own thing" can work sometimes (like in Batman Begins, which I thought was excellent), but way too risky.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:My bad. I missread what you said. I'd go see the movie if they used the old KITT. Heck, I'd even see it if it was a Ford Focus. No hard feelings?
Of course not! I guess the bottom line here is that obviously different fans want different things, so what can these guys really do? If it were me in charge, I'd see it as two options:

1) Doing my own thing with my own vision and hopefully people will follow along for the ride.

2) Try to please the fans and give them what they'd like to see. And also to think more in terms of it being their movie, not my movie.

I go with option 2. If you take music albums for example (coughMetallicacough), doing your own thing can severely backfire. Entertainers/producers/directors are in the industry to entertain, so they should do that the best way possible. And that is to keep fans' best interests in mind. And so I'm thinking their line of reasoning is to use both cars so that they can satisfy the most people. Of course, "doing your own thing" can work sometimes (like in Batman Begins, which I thought was excellent), but way too risky.

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:05 pm

Lost Knight wrote:

2) Try to please the fans and give them what they'd like. Also to think more in terms of it being their movie, not my movie.

I go with option 2. If you take music albums for example (coughMetallicacough), doing your own thing can severely backfire. Entertainers/producers/directors are in the industry to entertain, so they should do that the best way possible.
Knight Rider fans are not the majority of movie goers though. So if Hasselhoff makes a movie "just for us" and doesn't put into consideration the new generation of potential fans he'll probably make a flop that only the most hardcore fans desiring anything and everything involving Knight Rider will go see. I don't want another KR2000 made for tv thing that'll just end up in late night rotation on the Sci-Fi Channel. I want a theatre movie in the same vein as the upcoming Dukes of Hazzard. And btw, on note of your music to movie comparision: How many 12 year olds listen to Metallica? How many 12 year olds watch Knight Rider?

Not many, but they change that by updating to the now. Sadly, today's kids don't want NIN's and Marilyn Mansons, they want Linkin Parks and Evanescenses. If Metallica stuck to an old sound they'd only have old fans. Critics would say: "This is just the same old sound, nothing new!" And if the Knight Rider movie tries too hard to appeal to only the old audience then critics will say the same thing: "This is just the same tired junk, nothing new or interesting. And if you already know what 80's Metallica / 80's Knight Rider are like then why even bother to see it?" I most definately say do a mix of old car and new car and re-tell the pilot ep.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:07 pm

BlazeFox wrote:Knight Rider fans are not the majority of movie goers though.

My fault for not being clear, but when I said "fans," I had the general audience in mind as well. Of course the movie would flop if it's not made with some expository dialog for the casual viewer. I think that's a given.
BlazeFox wrote:And btw, on note of your music to movie comparision: How many 12 year olds listen to Metallica? How many 12 year olds watch Knight Rider?

The amount of 12-year-olds who listen to Metallica or watch Knight Rider is irrelevant to the comparison I was making. My point was simply that the safest option would be to make the film for the viewers and not for what David Hasselhoff or Glen Larson think it should be. I used Metallica as an example because they have said themselves that they make their records for themselves and like to move forward, rather than going backward to keep fans happy.

In that particular case, it turned out that the fans (for the most part), hate their newer records and love their old ones. I'd hate to see the same thing happen with this upcoming movie, but it does seem inevitable──no matter how good it is──that nothing will be able to beat the original series. (And for the record, Metallica was and still is my favorite band.)
BlazeFox wrote:Not many, but they change that by updating to the now. Sadly, today's kids don't want NIN's and Marilyn Mansons, they want Linkin Parks and Evanescenses. If Metallica stuck to an old sound they'd only have old fans. Critics would say: "This is just the same old sound, nothing new!" And if the Knight Rider movie tries too hard to appeal to only the old audience then critics will say the same thing: "This is just the same tired junk, nothing new or interesting. And if you already know what 80's Metallica / 80's Knight Rider are like then why even bother to see it?" I most definately say do a mix of old car and new car and re-tell the pilot ep.
I understand your point here and agree with you, which is why I've been saying that it will always be impossible to please everybody. :)

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:40 am

Lost Knight wrote: The amount of 12-year-olds who listen to Metallica or watch Knight Rider is irrelevant to the comparison I was making. My point was simply that the safest option would be to make the film for the viewers and not for what David Hasselhoff or Glen Larson think it should be.
The jist of what I was trying to say is while we "children of the 80's" remember Knight Rider fondly your average 90's kid hasn't got a clue what we're rambling on about and would probably have no interest unless its updated to appeal to the more current audience. Hasselhoff has a chance to expose Knight Rider to the next generation, but its gotta be new and slick to grab their attention.

LSQ9S6
Volunteer

Post by LSQ9S6 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:14 pm

Knight Rider was/is so popular because it was a solid (80s) concept. The main factor was the car and the relationship between Michael and his car as well as the FLAG crew. The equipment used was not just cheap material as well as the effects, a very expensive production and nowadays it would cost more (computer graphics would not be able to catch the same flair...IMO). If we use a cheap "modernized" car like they did in KR2K, the results would be as bad. While the computers they used at that point might have created nice real-time FFT on the screen and full HUD projection, the whole thing looked cheap. Without the original car, the product would look as cheap IMO. Fans want to see Michael and the crew (and maybe a tribute to Devon) not some Doom meets the Fast and Furious....etc
Planning for commercial success does not always produce quality...Even somebody never exposed to the original would most likely enjoy a Knight Rider movie based on the show with a similar plot. The poll seems to confirm that the majority wants the original car also...