Super Pursuit Mode

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TheFastOne
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Super Pursuit Mode

Post by TheFastOne » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:08 pm

For people that don't know.. When KITT goes realy fast with SPM,they FF the video so it goes faster . :) Just a little tip for people that don't know.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:15 pm

I think just about everybody here knows that.

KI

LadyKnight
Volunteer

Post by LadyKnight » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:55 pm

Also when you see his hands on the steering wheel, sometimes they're his, but mostly they're 'stand in' hands :p

Same with his foot on the pedal. Watch the color of his boots then look at the boot colour on the pedal...

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:59 pm

A little nitpick with super pursuit mode.
In sky Knight Kitt goes under a bridge Whilst he and Micheal are off to find the location of the number they just traced.
As Kitt goes under the bridge in S.P.M a car crosses over also going fast becuase the film has been sped up.
Anyone else noticed things like this?

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:19 pm

Yep. Though I can't be specific as I don't remember which episode it was. But somewhere, there is a human being that walks REALLY fast :lol:

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:32 pm

The "speedwalkers" and other such snafus during SPM are pretty well known and documented here, but it's great to see people figuring them out on their own. You know, though, a funny thing happens over time. I used to very rarely see the mistakes in the shows, simply because I wanted to believe it so much, but since I started coming to this board quite some time ago, I just can't keep from looking for nitpicks. A shame, it is, because now it's much harder just to relax and enjoy the show. :cry:

DK

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:19 am

Well, we've all seen them so many times, that even though we still a joy to watch the shows, there isn't much more to do.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:18 pm

I think it would have been better if they had FF with care especially when KITT was racing that sports car, so that when they slowed down, it looked more natural. Maybe they should have slowed the tape to normal speed on braking. It looked FF.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:24 am

Yes I'm seing the same thing with my kids watching the show and also when I first watched it as a kid myself back in the 80s.

I didn't see any of the mistakes....but now that Im an adult... I see so many mistakes and just things which aren't quite right, and I often wander...how the heck did can my kids not notice that...but then I remember... I didn't notice it as a kid either. :)

BTW KR was made with film. The SPM was shot with the film running at half speed...so when played back at normal speed it loos fast.
speed up film always looks more realistic than speed up video. Video tends to speed up the whole picture, while film only speeds up the moving parts of the picture (cars driving, people walking) giving a more realistic effect. Small motion such as trees swaying in the back ground tend not to get piced up on film for some reason, although it does depend hos close to the camera the trees are.

Sorry to sound like a know it all geek here...you just heard about 80% of my total knowledge. The other 20% is things like walking and talking lol

*back to normal "non geek" mode now*
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:30 pm

Yeah.. about the SPM speed.. if they were running in "real time" then there are birds that can fly around mach 4 according to how fast they blow away KITT. :)
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

SlamminSammy
Volunteer

Post by SlamminSammy » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:56 pm

Amir wrote:Yep. Though I can't be specific as I don't remember which episode it was. But somewhere, there is a human being that walks REALLY fast :lol:
That was the race scene at the end of "The Nineteenth Hole", there are people who are walking on the sidewalk as that Trans Am blows that Camaro away :D . And towards the end of it, a car pulls out of a driveway and pulls off almost as fast as KITT did.

TheFastOne
Volunteer

Post by TheFastOne » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:38 am

whet wrote:A little nitpick with super pursuit mode.
In sky Knight Kitt goes under a bridge Whilst he and Micheal are off to find the location of the number they just traced.
As Kitt goes under the bridge in S.P.M a car crosses over also going fast becuase the film has been sped up.
Anyone else noticed things like this?
Yea i saw that too :)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:31 pm

there's a lot of FF footage.

from the eps i can remember: Brother's Keeper. all SPM episodes, Knight in Shining Armour, at the very end scene, Diamond's aren't a girls best friend.

Are there anymore?

I don't see why they had to do this though. KITT looked very fast even when it wasn't FF.

They coulda used some neat camera angles instead of FF ie in Slammin Sammy when the cop tried to frame kitt for speeding, and michael pressed the turbo button to go faster, you saw the car in the distance.

i think that was a neat trick!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cuda426440
Recruit

Post by Cuda426440 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:29 pm

About the Super Pursuit Mode, was it a kind of evolution of Kitt or was it a way to give Knight Rider a new wave?

I mean the SPM was spectacular at first, but I think the Pursuit Mode in the first 3 seasons was quite sufficient. To me, the SPM was unneeded... well a real "gadget", but funny to watch!

Darendor
Operative

Post by Darendor » Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:02 pm

Cuda426440 wrote:About the Super Pursuit Mode, was it a kind of evolution of Kitt or was it a way to give Knight Rider a new wave?

I mean the SPM was spectacular at first, but I think the Pursuit Mode in the first 3 seasons was quite sufficient. To me, the SPM was unneeded... well a real "gadget", but funny to watch!
It was installed when KITT was rebuilt for the last time if I recall correctly. Along with the EBS (Emergency Braking System).

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:12 pm

SPM was built because the ratings were dropping and wasn't as good as they used to be.

I guess they did this as a one last ditch attempt to bring KR back to the form that it once was since you can definetely tell the quality was declining.

However, since i like SPM, and season 4 had great storylines with a much more harsher tone, it gets my vote as my fave season.

And it did have some great episodes ie SOR, killer KITT, KITTnap, Out of the woods, Wrong Crowd to name a few....

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:10 pm

The only trouble with the SPM that I didn't like was the EBS with the flap on top where the T-Tops are suppose to be.

I think in one of the few night shots of the EBS... Micheal is using the ejector seats. It kinda looked like they were trying to show that the T-Tops were still there even though the car had just applied the EBS and the car was still in the SPM.

I did like the red lights in the wheel wells and all... but can someone explain those little round "things" on the back that appear after the back raises up from the tail lights?

Another n/p that was shown in the DFW (Texas) area were the commercials advertising the 4th season..... you would see a hand starting the car with a key and the next picture was a shot of the air spoiler raising up off the body of the car... this was never done in any of the shows after all... I mean, the only time the AS moved was when it raised up higher when going into SPM.... I wish I had saved the tapes that I recorded the 4th season with.. but the tapes were found and used for other purposes by family members...

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:16 pm

Those little red lights on the back when the spoiler is raised could be due to a reason for caution.

The car is going very fast and could be a signal to other road users that something so fast is heading their way although that is still very stupid because since kitt is a very fast car, i doubt any road user would be able to do anything in time.

But, it gives the reason that michael only prefers to use SPM in desolate areas with nothing around when in KILLER KITT, kitt says to michael:"we are approaching a high density area!" so michael closes SPM.

Skav

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:56 pm

From what I remember the SPM was made early in the 4th season when they rebuilt him because Bonnie says that she couldn't recreate the MBS so she had to settle for the SPM.. what confuses me.. is that its supposedly bonded into the substance.. not metal.. it IS the substance.. so what is this car made of now? And how come they couldn't remake the MBS when KITT has all the information in his CPU? Lack of time? Money? Lol.. I know.. they needed a new story line. And about the new taillights in SPM.. if is was a caution for motorists to tell them something fast was coming their way.. why would they be in the BACK? If KITT was going their way, they wouldn't be able to see it.. right?
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:20 pm

yeah, but you gotta remember that kitt has lights everywhere on the car when in SPM ie front, side, back etc. i think those lights were more for night time.

and the car is like a big firework during the night!

I think motorists would have more than a fair warning to see that thing coming their way.

Skav

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:21 pm

I think they would have thought it would be more of a UFO than a car at night! Lol... going 300+ MPH with red lights all over.. some flashing! :)
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6

knightynight
Recruit

Post by knightynight » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:17 am

Ok, people!
Super Pursuit Mode, although a nice attempt at trying to make KITT look more futuristic (even though by this time 3rd Gen Trans Ams were four years old) was probably also one of Knight Rider's biggest mistakes. It is a good example of trying to use a quick fix to solve a potentially permanent problem, KITT no longer looked "new". This problem would have probably been better fixed by asking Pontiac to either design a newer Trans Am OR to see if they had any spare concept cars lying around. Both of these solutions would have been incredibly expensive (especially when they would need to have multiple cars for various stunts) and would probably also have ended up in episodes with plotlines sub-par.

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:25 am

Well Knightynight, I'll have to disagree a little about the concept car concept.

We saw what happend when they decided to use a concept car in KNIGHT RIDER 2000. And I'm sorry, I hated that rolling tomato.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:26 am

Ya mean.... The Tomato Mobile!!!! ;)

KI

WannaBKnight
Rookie

Post by WannaBKnight » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:06 am

Hahaha! Yes.. That would be the one! :lol: :roll: