Zeitgeist wants to say "hello" :-)

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Zeitgeist
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Zeitgeist wants to say "hello" :-)

Post by Zeitgeist » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:35 pm

Hello everybody,

after reading the posts here for some time, I decided to register. :D
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." (Optimus Prime)

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant

Post by LadyV2000 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:52 pm

Welcome to the boards! Glad you registered and I hope you enjoy it here. :)
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:45 pm

Welcome aboard! :) Do enjoy your stay here. Every day there's plenty to talk about.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:07 pm

Hello. 8) Cool screen name.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:17 pm

Guten tag! I think I said that right, didn't I?
Anyway, welcome aboard and have a good time!;)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:22 pm

I think (not sure) it's one word: guttentag? I'm 1/3 German but never learned the language, just heard this and that here and there. :)

Anyhow, zeitgeist that IS a cool name! What does it mean, if I may ask?

I think doesn't 'geist' mean spirit or something? I'm thinking this because 'poltergeist' is a mischievous spirit, supposedly.

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:11 am

Firts of all, thank you very much for the warm welcoming! :D

@knightshade
knightshade wrote:Hello. 8) Cool screen name.
Thanks! :D

But yours is also very cool. 8)

@Lyn
Lyn wrote:Guten tag! I think I said that right, didn't I?
Yes, that´s absolutely correct. Guten Tag, Lyn (or "Guten Morgen" to be precise, it´s 10:09 in the morning right now :wink: ).

@FuzzyDice
FuzzyDice wrote:I think (not sure) it's one word: guttentag? I'm 1/3 German but never learned the language, just heard this and that here and there. :)

Anyhow, zeitgeist that IS a cool name! What does it mean, if I may ask?

I think doesn't 'geist' mean spirit or something? I'm thinking this because 'poltergeist' is a mischievous spirit, supposedly.
Nope, two seperate words, "Guten" and "Tag", which translates to "good day". Hey, I could post some german words and phrases here, so that in case you guys come here (or to Switzerland or Austria) for vacation, you´ll get around with no problems... :wink:

Well, "Zeitgeist" consists of the words "Zeit" (time) and "Geist" (a spirit, ghost or ones mind). "Zeitgeist" means the mindset of humanity at a certain time in history, for example "Zeitgeist of the 50s, 60s, 70s" etc.
I hope this helps. :D

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:43 am

WELCOME!
I see that you are a transformers fan as well.WAY cool :)
BTW: the he-man collection is out. I received it yesterday and it's just wonderful. Highly recommended!

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:44 am

citizen_x wrote:WELCOME!
I see that you are a transformers fan as well.WAY cool :)
BTW: the he-man collection is out. I received it yesterday and it's just wonderful. Highly recommended!
Thank you. :D

Yes, the Tranformers are one of my loved childhood memories. Besides the dozens of other cult cartoons and tv series (like Knight Rider, The A-Team, Airwolf, Riptide, Magnum P.I. etc.). Lucky for us grown up kids, that most of the shows we liked when we were younger, are now available on DVD. :D

What He-Man collection are you talking about? I thought the classic series was already available on DVD?

So, as Optimus would say: "Transform and roll out!" :D

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:15 pm

Zeitgeist wrote:
What He-Man collection are you talking about? I thought the classic series was already available on DVD?

So, as Optimus would say: "Transform and roll out!" :D
No no - The collection i'm talking about is the classic one (1983) and it just came out yesterday! here is the link from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846

Read more information about this 10 episode set in here:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/sho ... p?t=122366
And here:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3672

:wink:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:04 pm

zeitgeist: Cool! Thanks. :) Now I understand and hopefully will write it correctly next time. I grew up with "gazoontheit" (er... correct my spelling as I KNOW I got that wrong! :lol:) being "God Bless You" or something which you say when someone sneezes. I used to watch the US show "My Three Sons" with my mom and when I heard "Uncle Charlie" say that, I had laughed and laughed and had to repeat it. (I was just a kid :) ) My mother (who was full Lithuanian) told me what it meant. So it was said all the time after that. :)

I wish I had the time to learn German. I'm also eyeing the park nearby to find out when the German Festival will be. I know it's sometime in August each year. I went the year before last, but not last year. I hope maybe I can make it this year. They make a GREAT vegetarian saurkraut, and believe me, I could eat saurkraut (even the stuff I make myself) for breakfast - cold! :) I just have to be careful as acidy stuff does a job on my stomach. But a little bit now and then I enjoy.

I don't eat meat or dairy (again, stomach trouble) so I don't eat most of the other stuff. But when I got to the fest, it sure smells good! :)

I'm always glad to meet those from my great grandparents' home countries. :)

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:09 pm

@citizen_x

Thank you very much for the info. :D

Seems christmas will get quite expensive this year. Again. :wink:

@FuzzieDice
zeitgeist: Cool! Thanks. Now I understand and hopefully will write it correctly next time. I grew up with "gazoontheit" (er... correct my spelling as I KNOW I got that wrong! ) being "God Bless You" or something which you say when someone sneezes. I used to watch the US show "My Three Sons" with my mom and when I heard "Uncle Charlie" say that, I had laughed and laughed and had to repeat it. (I was just a kid ) My mother (who was full Lithuanian) told me what it meant. So it was said all the time after that.
Always glad to help. :D

"Gesundheit" means "health", but when someone sneezes, that´s what people say. Maybe because sneezing is associated with all sorts of sicknesses people started saying it to wish the person to get well. Well, just my guess. :wink:
But yes, it´s the equivalent of "God bless you" in german. Another german word that you´ll most likely know is "Kindergarten". :D
I wish I had the time to learn German. I'm also eyeing the park nearby to find out when the German Festival will be. I know it's sometime in August each year. I went the year before last, but not last year. I hope maybe I can make it this year. They make a GREAT vegetarian saurkraut, and believe me, I could eat saurkraut (even the stuff I make myself) for breakfast - cold! I just have to be careful as acidy stuff does a job on my stomach. But a little bit now and then I enjoy.

I don't eat meat or dairy (again, stomach trouble) so I don't eat most of the other stuff. But when I got to the fest, it sure smells good!

I'm always glad to meet those from my great grandparents' home countries.
Sauerkraut is quite tasty, but I only eat it "pure", so no meat in it for me. :D
You could eat it cold? For breakfast? You´re tougher than me... :wink:

And to close with a little bit of german: Gute Nacht (good night). :D

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:33 pm

Hey Zeitgeist, I love the german language and the country in general. We here in England, have 3x more crime than you and are much smaller in comparison of a country than you, also...kinda embarassing.

I'm seeing a german band at a concert on Friday, Rammstein...ever heard of em?

Sorry, going off topic here. :P

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:50 pm

Zeitgeist, thank you. :-)

Citizen_X, you had to go and post a picture of the He-Man DVD cover, didn't you? Now I want it. :wink:

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:09 pm

Cool! Germany!

My ancestors came to America from Germany in 1828. One of the kids on the boat gave the chickens salt water. *sigh* I'm guessing they had to restock before they came to Ohio. :D

I'm also guessing there are some smarter distant cousins lurking in Germany still! ;)

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:25 pm

Glade you're here Zeitgeist, and I hope you enjoy it.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:31 pm

yes yes, same here, welcome indeed!
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:23 am

ZeitGeist: I bet there's a lot of words we use that are German but many never realize it.

I mix up my own saurkraut with brown sugar and caraway seed. It can taste pretty good even cold! :)

Skav: I love Rammstein too! When you get a chance, check out some of the old K.M.F.D.M. tunes. My favorite is their "Attack" CD. :)

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:53 am

@Skav

Wow, three times more crime? I didn´t know that. How come? :shock:

And yes, I remember listening to some songs from Rammstein (the name comes from the city of Rammstein, where a horrible accident happened during a flight show in the 80s) in 1997, I think. Sounded pretty good, so enjoy the concert! :D

@Fantine

A lot of Germans emigrated to the USA in the 19th century, because of the terrible economic situation here at that time. So a lot of Americans will most likely have german roots and (more or less) distant relatives living here; there was once even a german part of New York City, where even today the priest talks german. Pretty cool. :D

Salt water? The poor chickens...

@hot knight & TheKnightFox

Thank you very much. :D

@FuzzieDice

Sauerkraut and brown sugar? I guess I´ll stick to just plain old Sauerkraut... :wink:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:45 am

FuzzieDice, thanks for the recommendation, that's another band I can get my hands into. :D

Zeitgeist: I'm not sure of the reason but my guess is, it's because of the high rate of crime due to alcohol binging which goes on here and there's a lot of crime also to do with drugs.

It's not totally bad but you still have to watch yourself.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:31 pm

Zeitgiest, Fuzzie Dice and Skav mentioned rammstein. I know several of their songs and Rammstein is definitely a cool group (though i'm not german lol). And Skav, have fun at the concert. I'm sure it will be interesting.
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:32 am

Rammstein is my favorite foriegn language band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Du Hast, Buch Dich, are my favorite songs by them!!!!
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:20 am

Zeitgeist: Actaully, when I was at the German fest, I asked them how they made the saurkraut and they mentioned those were in the ingredients. :) I of course altered stuff a bit. If you get the right amount of brown sugar it's not bad. Sugar does cut down on the acid of the vinegar in the saurkraut and that helps as I can't have too much acid-based foods. If it weren't for that, I'd probably eat the stuff right out of the can. :)

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:28 am

lol. never been to a German fest before, but the rest of my family has.

I have to say though, the songs Engel, Laichzeit, and Asche zu Asche are my favorite songs by Rammstein *shrugs*.
Last edited by TheKnightFox on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:29 am

Yeah, Engel was good too. I cant find my damned Rammstein CD!! So I definantly forgot some good ones. :(
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers