London, it's America Calling. You okay?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Phoenix915
Operative

Post by Phoenix915 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:11 pm

Sorry that this post is so late---I've been thinking about what happened since yesterday morning and it took some time for me to put my thoughts in order.

I hope the victims and their loved ones will be cared for. They're in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope all our UK members are okay.
I hope all the sub-human scum who did this are brought to justice.

(Happy belated birthday TurbomanKnight!)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:23 am

Thanks Phoenix. :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:16 am

One of the tabloids summed it up perfectly in one word on their front page . . .

The first time I ever went down to London on my own was 30th June 1995. Thankfully it wasn't
a week later, because I went to London last week to commemorate the tenth anniversary of my
first ever solo trip to England. Had that trip been the 7th July 1995, I'd probably be dead now.

Now that is a bloody scary thought . . .

My thoughts are with those who've lost their nearest and dearest in these cowardly atrocities.

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:25 pm

my condolences go out to all of you!! I hope you are all doing okay with the terrible things that are happening in this world..Our poor kids that have to grow up in it. I feel for them too.

Knight Rocker
Recruit

Post by Knight Rocker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:52 pm

hot knight wrote:my condolences go out to all of you!! I hope you are all doing okay with the terrible things that are happening in this world..Our poor kids that have to grow up in it. I feel for them too.
Makes me remember back when KR was in NBC First run, the world just seemed so much more innocent then it does now. :(

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:42 pm

London only had one response to the attacks.

To stay in doors and cower? Nope.

To panic? Nope.

THIS is how London responds to terror tactics - we live our lives as normal and come out in force to celebrate 60 years of peace since WW2! The streets were packed with people, all making sure the terrorists realise they're just a glitch in a proud, 1000 year old history of a great city!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:19 pm

Very nice! :) What are the red things in the photo? They look like modern-day butterflies. Very cool!

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:20 am

My prayers go out to the victims and their families. :cry:

If we could get rid of the political and religious extremists, the world would be a far better place...
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." (Optimus Prime)

Lauzzy81
Recruit

Post by Lauzzy81 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:27 am

my condolences go out to all of you too!!!

But sadly I live in Denmark and the rumors is that we are the next target for terrorist attacks, Denmark has even got a message from a al Qaeda-group called Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades, that it could be us next time!!!

What a @&^# up world we live in!!!

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:50 am

Lauzzy81 wrote:my condolences go out to all of you too!!!

But sadly I live in Denmark and the rumors is that we are the next target for terrorist attacks, Denmark has even got a message from a al Qaeda-group called Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades, that it could be us next time!!!

What a @&^# up world we live in!!!
It could be anywhere in the world.
These ppl don't care who they hurt or kill : jews, christians - It's all the same for them.

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:20 am

Red things are poppies, delivered by a WW2 mosquito to commemorate 60 years of peace since WW2. We all wear them on rememberance day too. It wasn't a solemn occasion though, we were celebrating peace!

I wouldn't worry too much about Denmark if you've received warnings. Generally they don't give warnings! The IRA did for London, which I suppose in a seriously warped fashion was a bit more courteous.

Saw the news today and they were talking to the family of one of the bombers, the family were absolutely devastated. Can you imagine, bringing up a child, trying to give it the best life you can and then finding out they become ruthless killers! It's all just a complete waste, of their lives, of the lives of innocent commuters lost in London and the lives of those left behind who have to live with the loss of their loved ones! A stupid, stupid tragic waste for the whole lot of them!

We don't need more armed police, or ID cards, or CCTV, or any of it. We need to get to these kids before they grow up to be made into terrorists, try and work out why a seemingly perfectly ordinary kid is willing to do a thing like this.

In Northern Ireland, a friend of mine used to give these teenagers counselling. In one session they told her how they'd go about decapitating British soliders if they came down streets in tanks. Then they put on Berets and made to go out. The counsellor asked them if they were going to an IRA meeting, and they said no, Scouts! And their scout master they really admired was a British solider! It has to be a question of education from a young age of tolerance. Most muslims here in the UK are great friends and lovely people, who are sickened by violence as the rest of us. Why, because they have been brought up to be caring, tolerant people!

Sorry for this long post but I'm just upset...

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:27 am

It turns out that, when I spoke to my dad yesterday, he's a bus driver and his supervisor's daughter is now missing from the bomb blasts and has had to take some time off work.

It sucks the big one!

hot knight
Operative

Post by hot knight » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:29 am

Knight Rocker wrote:
hot knight wrote:my condolences go out to all of you!! I hope you are all doing okay with the terrible things that are happening in this world..Our poor kids that have to grow up in it. I feel for them too.
Makes me remember back when KR was in NBC First run, the world just seemed so much more innocent then it does now. :(
Ain't that the truth!! The world that we live in today is definitely a terrible and scary one. When I go I sometimes wish I could take my kids with me because I'm scared for them...

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:57 pm

The poppies are very pretty. :)
zeitgeist wrote:If we could get rid of the political and religious extremists, the world would be a far better place...
You hit the nail right on the head there!

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:09 am

I wish everyone well in having resilience there in London and going about their daily lives despite the bombings there last week, and I applaud their bravery and courage.

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:49 am

FuzzieDice wrote:The poppies are very pretty. :)
zeitgeist wrote:If we could get rid of the political and religious extremists, the world would be a far better place...
You hit the nail right on the head there!
The simple truth, yet it seems so hard to achieve... :(
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." (Optimus Prime)