Why isn't William Daniels ever credited during the KR intro?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

rulloa81
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why isn't William Daniels ever credited during the KR intro?

Post by rulloa81 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:36 am

They only credit him in the ending credits, even though he's a big part of the show. Does anyone know why?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:17 am

It was Mr. Daniel's request that his name not be shown during the opening credits. He wanted the star car KITT to have a personality of his own and a sense of mysticism to the voice.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:07 pm

I don't even remember him being credited in the closing credits. Which episodes was that in? I must have missed it and would like to see that (if it's anywhere in the first two seasons, that is, since I have the DVDs).

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:31 pm

HondaSiR wrote:It was Mr. Daniel's request that his name not be shown during the opening credits. He wanted the star car KITT to have a personality of his own and a sense of mysticism to the voice.
that makse sense to me. i mean, KITT is special, and Daniels obviously knows it...but...i don't think it would make any difference if they put his name in the opening credits, would it? heck, people know thats his voice anyway, so what difference does it make?

its kinda puzzling if you ask me. but again, if he recommended that his name was just left in the ending credits, that was the best way to go....*shrugs*
"when you're one of a kind, companionship does not compute." KITT
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:37 pm

Duh people! The car actually spoke! William Daniels only pretended he did the voice to keep the technology a secret!

:)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:07 pm

I'm not sure the story about Daniels wanting to keep the illusion of KITT has ever really been verified. I recall an interview with him on Merv Griffin (I think) back in 83 or so and he said that it was his agent's idea not to get on-screen credit. William Daniels was (and is) a highly respected actor and the agent was worried about associating his name with what would surely be an embarrassing flop.

Maybe over the years they came up with a "cover story" to explain it, but that's how I personally recall hearing what happened.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:59 pm

huh....sounds kinda more complicated than it looks.

well, i guess it would be a good thing to try and keep how KITT got his voice a mystery but it wouldn't have lasted long any how. plus, theres the internet, and the secrets of Daniels being the voice of KITT could have easily been revealed that way anyhow.

i dont think using a cover story would have been very cool though, but you never know what theyll do....
PROJECT RESTORATION. A fic for KITT and KARR: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2396303/1/

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:25 pm

There wasn't much of an internet back in 1982! At least certainly not the way we think of it today. When I wanted to get information about the show, I had to *gasp!* get to a library and look through a Periodical Index - by hand - to find articles.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:28 pm

Ah, but there wasn't the internet in the 80's. Easier to keep secrets. Or feign them. :wink:

Oh gods...you weren't born yet...I feel old...

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:50 pm

no wonder i didn't exactly realize that the internet wasn't near as great as it obviously is now, heh heh. shoulda figured that though. oh well. its true, it doesn't help that i wasn't even born at the time!

i guess they did have an easier time keeping KITT's voice a fair secret then...

and its okay about feeling old becuase there are, i'm sure, a WIDE range of ages here on this forum.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:51 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:I'm not sure the story about Daniels wanting to keep the illusion of KITT has ever really been verified. I recall an interview with him on Merv Griffin (I think) back in 83 or so and he said that it was his agent's idea not to get on-screen credit. William Daniels was (and is) a highly respected actor and the agent was worried about associating his name with what would surely be an embarrassing flop.

Maybe over the years they came up with a "cover story" to explain it, but that's how I personally recall hearing what happened.
That's interesting. It very well could be a cover story. But as I recall, the voice(s) of K.A.R.R. were not credited either, which is consistent with the story that they wanted to give these cars their own identities. Not to knock Peter Cullen who did cartoon voice work, and Paul Frees for that matter, who did the voice of the Pillsbury Doughboy, but I don't think Knight Rider would've exactly tarnished their careers.

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:55 pm

i agree. especially since knight rider was doing so well. it probably didn't matter if their voices were revealed at a certain point in time or not, right?

KITT MARK 2
Recruit

Post by KITT MARK 2 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:50 am

In KR Legacy, an interview with Daniels says it was his idea but people knew it was him anyway 'cause of his distinctive voice.
--KNIGHT INDUSTRIES TEN THOUSAND

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:44 pm

It is hard to mistake, isn't it!

Talking about uncredited voices, was it Patrick Macnee that used to introduce Battlestar Galactica with the 'There are those who believe that life here began out there..." or Wilfred Hyde White? That went uncredited as well.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:51 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:I'm not sure the story about Daniels wanting to keep the illusion of KITT has ever really been verified. I recall an interview with him on Merv Griffin (I think) back in 83 or so and he said that it was his agent's idea not to get on-screen credit. William Daniels was (and is) a highly respected actor and the agent was worried about associating his name with what would surely be an embarrassing flop.

I wonder how he feels about it nowadays?

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:33 pm

I guess we're left wondering about it unless we found his opinion a certain article? who knows :?

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:03 pm

Yea I am pretty sure too that Daniels wished to keep it quiet. Although, everyone in his neighborhood and friends already knew. He has a one of a kind voice.

Zeitgeist
Recruit

Post by Zeitgeist » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:54 pm

What, K.I.T.T. didn´t really talk? Next you´re gonna tell me that he couldn´t really drive by himself... :wink:
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." (Optimus Prime)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:14 pm

"My circuits are sealed." - K.I.T.T. in "Blind Spot" (Season Two)

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:06 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:When I wanted to get information about the show, I had to *gasp!* get to a library and look through a Periodical Index - by hand - to find articles.
What I hated was having to elbow the Brontosaurus out of the way first.

:lol:

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:33 pm

Absolutely! The modern internet is a much better source of information! All of it just as reliable as those soppy libraries... 8)

Just think of all those 'resourceful' websites out there, like David Icke, or Garden Peas Rule Anonymous... :?

At least when you looked it up in a library you could be 80% certain it was written by someone who didn't get their information off a mate with weed growing in his window box with a penchant for mushrooms...

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:46 pm

KARR's voice is credited, atleast in one of the episodes, atleast what i remember...

when i thought about it right now, i can see
Peter cullen
Voice of K.A.R.R

i might be wrong, have to relook :D

TheKnightFox
Operative

Post by TheKnightFox » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:00 am

I'm sure they credited KARR's voice, especially since KARR doesn't appear near as often as KITT does (obviously) lol.