London, it's America Calling. You okay?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

London, it's America Calling. You okay?

Post by neps » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:45 am

Just checking in with our London fans and making sure everyone is okay after today's events. Feel free to use this thread to talk and cope, we're all here for you.

beatle64
Recruit

Post by beatle64 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:15 am

I was just walking to the break room at my job getting ready to leave for the day and Tony Blair was talking on the TV. I looked down to see the bottom of the screen. I now know what the people of England felt when we were hit on 9/11. I've been fighting back the tears, to show strength for the people of London. May God bless the victims, their families and everyone in London.

Remember keep your head up high and know that the USA will help the same way you have helped us.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:35 am

Things are pretty chaotic here at the moment. I'm writing this from my desk at work, and all of us here in the office have family and/or friends who work in Central London, who could have been caught up in the events.

Mobile phone networks have been down all morning, and news is slowly seeping through on radio, television and the Internet. The whole London Underground system seems to have been closed indefinitely, and there are people here who have no way to return to their homes. As I said before, chaos.

So far, they have said there are only two fatalities; there are bound to be more, but let's hope and pray that most people got away with their lives. Apparently there are many casualties still trapped underground in the train that was hit.

I hope we catch the scum that did this.

- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchive.com

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:41 am

...or end their organisations.

And we thank you for your thoughts and prayers :)

- Paul

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:47 am

Whoa, what a 15th birthday it has turned out to be. :shock: I wake up expecting to be greeted by my mom, and I see the news on. Headline was "Series Of Explosions Hit London" I was shocked. And then I thought, Could it have anything to do with London winning the Olympic bid? :roll: My prayers are with the families of the victims.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:06 am

I hope London doesn't take the easy way out and declare (greedy) war like our U.S. President did after our own 9/11.....

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:48 am

Heres something I saw on AOL.

'Everything Went Black'
Four blast rock London's subway system and rip apart a double-decker bus. At least 40 people are killed and hundreds injured. An al-Qaida group claims responsibility for the attacks.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:05 am

My condolences to everyone involved. Enough is enough, I think it's time the "infidels" do a little house cleaning. I'm sick of living in a world with children holding guns to our heads. I'd say carpet bomb them back into the stone age, but they are already there.

I agree with you Lyn. War in Iraq makes about as much since as it would us invading Mexico after Pearl Harbor.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote:Things are pretty chaotic here at the moment. I'm writing this from my desk at work, and all of us here in the office have family and/or friends who work in Central London, who could have been caught up in the events.

Mobile phone networks have been down all morning, and news is slowly seeping through on radio, television and the Internet. The whole London Underground system seems to have been closed indefinitely, and there are people here who have no way to return to their homes. As I said before, chaos.

So far, they have said there are only two fatalities; there are bound to be more, but let's hope and pray that most people got away with their lives. Apparently there are many casualties still trapped underground in the train that was hit.

I hope we catch the scum that did this.

- Paul
Isn't it annoying that when you want the mobile phone network to be at its best, it completely crumbles. It took me ages to check up on where my sister was in town, not the most pleasant time either. Thankfully she was fine, but I know friends of mine who are stuck in town. Hopefully they'll eventially make it home. I took the day off (talk about luck) so it hasn't caused me any issues, but I have been glued to sky news and CNN from the morning. I have to say, our emergency services have reacted perfectly. General impressions from most is that its not been too chaotic and most have remained calm in the storm.

Casualties are currently at 33 with unknown numbers from the bus explosions. I fear it will be worse. My thoughts are with those that have lost loved ones who will not be returning home tonight.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:25 pm

Prayers with all of you in London and the UK.

I hope justice is swiftly dispatched to the culprits.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:16 pm

My condolences and support to all in London. Hope folks are coping.

It's odd, and rather freaky that I read this because I got up around 8am to use the bathroom then went back to bed and slept until around 11am. In that time I had this dream where I see Jesus and we have a conversation (and I'm not even religious!) I can't even remember exactly what about. In the background for a moment there was a black sky lit up with orange fire and bombs going off but with the explosions there was a deep voice saying "bomb" every time there was an explosion instead of the sound of an explosion.

Then I read about the blast in London. This is scary stuff.

I do wish the best for all in London and their families.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:43 pm

Whoa, creepy. :shock:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

tkr9
Operative

Post by tkr9 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:31 pm

That's six times in twenty three years I've just missed being blow to smitherines! Have to admit, whilst it's an appalling human tragedy London under attack is always at its best - eveyone was cool as a cucumber and we're showing those bomb-happy morons they ain't getting the better of us. P-lease, we've seen Roman and Norman Invasions, civil war, great fires and two world wars, what's one more day? We're commemorating sixty years of peace on Saturday and Sunday in this great city, and we'll be celebrating the freedom we fought for and have stood for for nearly a thousand years. We Londoners are made of resilient stuff, and all of us, from those who have lived here for generations, to newcomers seeking a new life here, we are all built to withstand anything the world has to throw at us!

I can't believe any group, no matter how idiotic, would choose a day when world leaders were gathered in peace to try and put a stop to poverty and damage to the environment. I pray my ancient and noble government at Westminster doesn't react by targeting nations and taking up the sword of war. We need to react through education and communication - you can't fight fire with fire.

Also thank you to Ken Livingstone, our Mayor, whose speech, though reactonary, was exceptional, and the words could have come from the very heart of London. Thanks Ken!

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:57 pm

The world is a dangerous place, and political leaders don't need to make the world even more dangerous by their absolute greed and quest for absolute power!
We should've concentrated our efforts on capturing Mr. Bin Laden instead of going to war in Iraq, a country that had nothing to do with our 9/11, but no, our U.S. President had to make a huge mountain out of a molehill by getting us into an unnecessary war of greed in Iraq, which means we're not only losing the war on terrorism, we're losing the war in Iraq!:(
Ok, I'm just venting my frustration over our unethical U.S. President's crappy war in Iraq..... :? :roll: :shock: :evil:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:06 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Whoa, what a 15th birthday it has turned out to be. :shock:
Happy birthday!
Lyn wrote:The world is a dangerous place, and political leaders don't need to make the world even more dangerous by their absolute greed and quest for absolute power!
We should've concentrated our efforts on capturing Mr. Bin Laden instead of going to war in Iraq, a country that had nothing to do with our 9/11, but no, our U.S. President had to make a huge mountain out of a molehill by getting us into an unnecessary war of greed in Iraq, which means we're not only losing the war on terrorism, we're losing the war in Iraq!
Ok, I'm just venting my frustration over our unethical U.S. President's crappy war in Iraq.....
Hey, I completely agree, but we shouldn't set the thread off in a tangent.
My thoughts go out to all those injured or killed in today's attacks. It's nice to see the resilient attitude in London after being attacked, because that is the way all tragedies need to be handled.

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 am

Sorry, I didn't mean for my remarks to set off any tangents at all.... I apoligize very much.
My own thoughts go to the people in London, and hope they'll all be OK.
In many ways, today's event woke up bad memories of that disturbing mess that happened almost 4 years ago, and because of that, I couldn't watch the breaking news on TV at all......
More violence to combat the violence that happened isn't the answer in handing terrorism; recovering from the attack is, and I admire the resilience of the British people myself.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:40 am

7 aussie's have been reported injured in the blasts ,
were all involved in this some how,
im dreading an attack in australia, got me really worried about it now

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:41 am

As we all have said, my condolences go out to those in London. They people there have been the source of admiration from other countries for almost all time, and your resilience is to be commended.

And though Lyn insists on bashing presidents in the light of an attack, the US isn't losing in Iraq, car bombs go off now and again, they sound more like they're desperate to me than winning. If they were winning, they'd have no reason to blow one of themselves up with each attack.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:23 am

TurbomanKnight - yeah, creepy. I can't understand the dream myself either.

Lyn - Even if some think you went off on a tangent, I can see where you're coming from as well as where others are coming from. But there are other things behind this that some of us don't even know about so I can't really comment. I don't know the whole story.

I'm just not happy we live in such a violent an angry world. I'm also unhappy that innocent people are the ones paying the price.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:29 am

The problem is, even in the 21st century, people insist on resorting to violence and terror to reach goals or make points. So simple-minded and stupid. It's amazing that these terrorists just don't understand that whatever they try doesn't get them anywhere but killing mass amounts of people. At the end of the day, their goals are not met.

The problem is, they're brainwashed and believe so firmly that what they're doing is right that they overlook the value of human life. As for bashing presidents, I'm not exactly the biggest fan myself, but there is a time to criticize and a time not to. I liked the guy most during the events of 9/11. When things like this happen, people must set aside differences and ban together.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:04 am

Lost Knight wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:Whoa, what a 15th birthday it has turned out to be. :shock:
Happy birthday!
Thanks Dude 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:48 am

I think I've said what I'd wanted to on this subject, so
to not offend anyone else, I won't say anything more, or supposedly bash anyone at all either....

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:39 pm

Please feel free to talk about this subject about the horrible thing that happened in London; don't let me stop you all from talking about it, OK?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:35 pm

I live just outside of London and everything is okay here.

Unfortunately, my cousin, who lives down the road from me, had his windows shatter from the bomb blasts...not only that, mobile/cell phone networks were offline so no cell/mobile phone calls could be placed from and to them.

My cousin's brother works in London, as a builder, and my cousin couldn't get in touch with him so we were worried but thankfully he called to say he was okay but he couldn't get home from London last night and had to spend the night up there because of the chaos.

To be honest, I'm not surprised nor shocked this has happened...I've waited for this to happen for 4 years and it has.

It's unfortunate that, even with huge amounts of security in place since 9/11, there is always some loop-hole around things.

I just hope it's a one off big scale terror attack like 9/11 and nothing else will come about.

citizen_x
Operative

Post by citizen_x » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:20 pm

The israeli media talked about the london bombings all the time since it happened.
For obvious reasons, our hearts and minds are with U ...
Maybe it's outrageous to say, but it is without a doubt a WAKE UP CALL to all the european community ...

We got used to it anyway... I hope u wouldn't have to.