'What do you think of my new voice modulator, Michael?'

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

SadArticle
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

'What do you think of my new voice modulator, Michael?'

Post by SadArticle » Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:16 pm

... is my slightly roundabout way of letting the fan fiction cheerleaders know that there's a rookie entering the field. Me.

My two year old short story - :shock: - 'Snow Cover' is now available for your general perusement. Please bear with me on the title, but the story itself took me long enough. The search for a classic moniker would have kept me back forever! :wink:

This is just a small 'moment', sparked and fanned into flame by my own childish love of snow (and of the banter between Michael and Kitt). Suitable for all.

Big heap thanks to Knightshade, for the hosting, the design, and the prodding into action of the author :)

Sarah

http://www.sadarticle.homestead.com/snowcover.html
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:46 pm

I love it! Definitely a display of great things take time! You have to do more! You just have to! I just love how the story flows, and the over all good feeling of the story! Keep it up!

Knightimmortal

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:52 pm

Wow! :oops:

Thanks for your support, Knightimmortal - for the compliment, and for actually posting and saying so (I was getting nervous about the viewings/postings ratio).

Your knowledge and expertise on the characters makes your opinion priceless.

I will definitely try and write more, but bear in mind that this little baby took two years to arrive ..! :wink:

Sarah

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:02 pm

It's just a matter of getting the blockage broken. Let it come to you, let the muse flow over you, embrace it, and write. Become one with your characters, become one with the essence of giving them life.

Keep up the remarkable work! (And remember, feedback is a rare item in this fandom, if you write it, they will come, they just won't comment on it. ;) )

KI

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:52 pm

:D :D Now that story just brought a smile to my face. Very funny and overall excellent. Like KI said, you just gotta write more. I'll look forward to it.

Keep up the great work.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:57 pm

:wink: See. :D

Excellent work, Sarah. Very good characterization and detail. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to your next one, which will hopefully not take two years to finish. :P

Soul Sista
Rookie

Post by Soul Sista » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:28 pm

Nicely done Sad,nicely done! :D When I read someone's fanfics,I like to visualize how each scene is played out so it makes me feel like I watching a movie or tv show.I must say that if this was a sitcom, I would give it two thumbs up! :wink: Now that you have written your first fanfic,you now must write more,more, more!! :wink: :wink: :lol: Once again....nicely done Sarah!

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:29 pm

Excellent work Sarah!

A very neat little story, and you nailed the characters perfectly! Now, hurry up and write another one!

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:30 pm

Yes, real good story, albeit short. I'm thinking how KITT would manage
if he got caught up in a snowy mountain avalanche. Mind you, perhaps
just a big turbo boost would probably suffice there, I guess. Just as
long as the impact of many tons of snow coming down didn't push
him on to his side. There's the basis for a fanfic right there!

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted. Believe me, I need the encouragement! :wink:

There is a fully-fledged fan fiction story out there, with Michael and Kitt facing the full force of the winter elements. Mine was just a brief 'vignette' (hey, I got to use one of my favourite words! :wink: ), based more on the interaction of the characters, than a story with a beginning, middle and end.

I can't think of who wrote the story with Kitt and Michael getting stuck in snow somewhere, but it's very good. Was it Tomy, maybe? :?:

Sarah

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:03 pm

Great story. I enjoyed reading it, has a good feeling like in the show.
You described the characters very original, good job.
And one thing I like most, this is not a "I change everything in KR" story and it is not 50 chapters long (no offense to anyone), it's just a short but great story. :)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:17 pm

Not to start anything, but last time I checked, there were no 50 chapter long stories. Just 10 at the most. :)

It's not too nice to critisize other's work while in the process of praising others. Just thought ya should know.

To SadArticle:
I am still marvelling at this, and preparing to throw a few plot gremlins at SadArticle. (I got em all nice and ready, my farm is full ;) )

Oh, and one other thing, your timing, SadArticle, was marvelous! I got you in on the lastest Masterlink update at the Knight Foundation. (I think, still trying to figure out the logistics of freeserver's newest thing of..maybe I will upload...maaaaaybe not)

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:31 pm

Brings up an interesting question. (At least, to me.)

On average, how long does it take to write an "average length" fan fiction?

...now, if I can just get the image of KIT3T and KITT going after a fleet of KARR's as a fleet of military versions of the Knight Technologies come to their rescue to go away. Ugh...no time to write...get out of my head. :D

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:50 pm

On the average? 2-5 months.

For super writers: 2 weeks.

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:02 am

Wow.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:17 am

knightimmortal wrote:Not to start anything, but last time I checked, there were no 50 chapter long stories. Just 10 at the most. :)

It's not too nice to critisize other's work while in the process of praising others. Just thought ya should know.
KI
I know there's no 50 chapter long stoty, I justed wanted to say that I like to read short stories, because I have no patience to wait for each chapter.

I didn't want to critisize other's work (that's why I wrote "no offense"), everyone who write these stories does a good job, and if he/she has fun writing, he/she should do it.

Only thing I wanted to stress is I like short finished stories more. I also enjoyed the Knight Legacy story, and some others.
Really, no offense.

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:01 am

knightimmortal wrote:
To SadArticle:
I am still marvelling at this, and preparing to throw a few plot gremlins at SadArticle. (I got em all nice and ready, my farm is full ;) )

Oh, and one other thing, your timing, SadArticle, was marvelous! I got you in on the lastest Masterlink update at the Knight Foundation. (I think, still trying to figure out the logistics of freeserver's newest thing of..maybe I will upload...maaaaaybe not)

KI
Catcher's mitt ready and waiting for any ideas you wish to throw in my general vicinity, Knightimmortal! :) That's the main problem I have - I can come up with 'beginnings', no problem, but middles (development) and endings always manage to throw me for a loop.

I focus too much on the characters, and forget about moving the story along. Even 'Snow Cover' took eons to finish, as Knightshade will testify to. But my love of the characters is what guarantees that I keep producing little scenes, or ideas for stories that never seem to graduate beyond 'plot bunny' stage.

I have a few stunted chapters wedged in the pipeline, but any fully fledged ideas would be a large leap in the right direction.

And as Garthe Knight touched on, I'm a purist when it comes to Knight Rider - even so far as to exclude RCD3 and SPM (I won't type my reworked definition of those initials :wink: ) 'Minor' original characters are of course necessary in larger fan fiction stories, but I tend to keep towards the 'main' team of Michael, Kitt, Bonnie, and Devon as my 'template'. It's a decision that is probably hampering my (ahem) 'creativity', but what else is fan fiction there for, but to pander to certain personal requirements?

Two fan fiction additions that I love, however, are Gryph's KARR, and his driver. No idea why, they just seem to 'blend in' with the Knight Rider team.

Sarah

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:09 pm

Garthe: You may say 'no offense', but that doesn't excuse the comment actually made. There are a lot of fan fiction writers out here who put their heart and soul into their fiction, and sometimes just want to create a character to put their heart into the action by putting another character in. "I like short stories' would have been sufficient enough.

To all of you:

Sometimes when comments like these are made, it makes the rest of us fic writers who strive and bust to get fic out feel sort of like we should just trash our fic and slink off in shame.

Remember, for every action you make, there will be a reaction. It's one thing to praise a fan fic writer for their great accomplishment. It's quite another to make the others feel like crap about theirs.

Just a little something to keep in mind.

As for plot bunnies, give me your middles, SadArticle, and I will build up some ideas of how to get them underway. My email is always open. All of them.

KI

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:57 pm

SadArticle wrote:
but what else is fan fiction there for, but to pander to certain personal requirements?
LOL!! That certainly hits the nail on the head! 8)

Catt of the Garage
Volunteer

As belated as my reply, and nearly as brilliant

Post by Catt of the Garage » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:11 pm

... I mean twice as brilliant, of course.

Well, Sarah, congratulations on finally getting that one out of your system! It was just as good as I always thought it would be (though it does rather leave the audience wanting more!). I love your descriptions - they have just the kind of pinickity little details I love (describing snow as "grey flecks against the white", and "creaking" under Michael's shoes! Smashing.) I'll see if I can rake out a few of the plot bunnies hiding under my bed that I don't have time to use myself and sling them your way. You genuinely have skill - the character dialogue didn't jar at all, every line was in character, and the scene-setting is brilliant - funny and subtle. Be a writer! Go on!

As to the question of how long "average length fan fictions" take to write, the first of my long running series (OK, two) took a month, and it was about 17000 words. I can't claim "super-writer" status, though - the second took about six months, and it was 2000 words shorter!

Congratulations again,

Catt

p.s. a note to those of you with animal protection tendencies - all references to "raking" and "slinging" "bunnies" are purely figurative :twisted:

----------------------------
(come and read my fanfics (all two of them!) at Catt's Secret Garage!

jup
FLAG Operative

Re: As belated as my reply, and nearly as brilliant

Post by jup » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:26 pm

Catt of the Garage wrote:p.s. a note to those of you with animal protection tendencies - all references to "raking" and "slinging" "bunnies" are purely figurative :twisted:
Yea...well, I'm just lucky I haven't yet stepped on one in the morning dawn. After all, wild rabbits are suppose to be afraid and run. NOT just look at you and act annoyed at the notion of having to move. :/

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:40 pm

Heh, just thought that I'd have a read that this story once more considering what a huge blizzard we're havin here.

Snowed in over in NY here along with any other east coast members. Guess I'm not gonna be leavin the house for a while. :)

CK
Operative

Post by CK » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:21 pm

Centaurus17 wrote:Heh, just thought that I'd have a read that this story once more considering what a huge blizzard we're havin here.

Snowed in over in NY here along with any other east coast members. Guess I'm not gonna be leavin the house for a while. :)
You're not a kiddin! Got over 2 ft here where it's not drifted too bad.

Cheri

KITTvsKARR
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:08 pm

Well.. one minor peice of advice Sarah..

"Be the ball".. err "Be the Stry" and it'll all come out in the end. :D
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro
1985 Brown Firebird
1988 Blue Formula
2002 Black Trans Am WS6