20th Aniversary DVD Boxed sets??

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MrPayner
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

20th Aniversary DVD Boxed sets??

Post by MrPayner » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:48 am

Hello all Knight Rider fans!

I'm a new member here and I don't know if this suggestion has been made at all, but hands up who thinks it might be worth it if we get some sort of letter or petition going to get the relevant company to release the whole 4 series of KNIGHT RIDER onto 4 uniquely packaged "20th Aniversary Collector's Edition" DVD's and Videos...

I thought about this when I visited this website and thought that it would be a great idea if these Boxed sets became available. They could fully re-master and "clean-up" the whole 4 series just like George Lucas did with the original Star Wars movies.

I would say that an idea like this would compliment the new movie that is due out in 2004, and also the rumoured new series!!

I'm sure as fans of this great series you'd get behind something like this!! What do you reckon??

Adam

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:55 pm

remastering and cleaning up movies is more demanding by the public than cleaning up a 80's tv show.

so they could well release the whole series but i doubt they'll put much effort into it.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:51 am

I would be happy with anything in boxed set format. That would be a great idea. Things like this work sometimes :D .
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:56 am

oh so I can tell a little story...

we mad up a Petition "Knight Rider to DVD"... it is recognized by Universal Studios Germany and maybe we can move something :):D

A lot of germans allready signed in and the list is growing fast

Yours Sandra 8)

David Whiteheart
Operative

Re: 20th Aniversary DVD Boxed sets??

Post by David Whiteheart » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:03 am

I was at Walmart last night and they had the X-Files, Dead Zone, Star Trek Next Generation, Mash and the Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD. Why not KITT and/or some other TV shows?

Dave

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:12 pm

if you notice, they're all more modern shows. unfortunately, that's wot modern audiences like these days.

i can't see the 90's generation of teens liking KR.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KRR
Rookie

Post by KRR » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:28 pm

Skav wrote:if you notice, they're all more modern shows. unfortunately, that's wot modern audiences like these days.

Skav

I've asked several teens about this, and all of them so far have liked KR; the most common response I've gotten is "Is that the one with the talking black car and the lifeguard?" Most of those I've asked remember it from watching USA reruns when they were home from school.

I don't know about touching up the effects, as Lucas did with Star Wars; I'd prefer to see the episodes in their original glorious form.

A DVD boxed-set would be an excellent idea, but besides us die-hard fans, there wouldn't be much of a demand. Although the teens I've asked about the show remembered enjoying it, I seriously doubt that they'd shell out $50 for a series they'd nearly forgotten.
krr

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:35 pm

It's all about timing. There are still some Knight Rider DVDs and Videos trickling into the market. But if I were going to do a major DVD release, I'd wait for the movie and then ride that publicity wave. I believe the movie is still at least 18 months away, and then shortly after that we'll see more home video releases.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Karan
Recruit

Post by Karan » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:53 pm

Skav wrote:if you notice, they're all more modern shows. unfortunately, that's wot modern audiences like these days.

Skav
I personally would be thrilled if walmart had KR dvds or VHS in stock...just turned 18 a few months ago,and started watching KR when i was bout 5 or 6 lol still love the show to death though

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:10 pm

I can tell you what the german Hardcore Knight Rider Fans would say about a DVD Box Set....

THEY`LL LOVE IT!!!

More then ever the 80s back in Town here in Germany... and with the 80s there are some TV Series like Airwolf, Streethawk and or No 1 Knight Rider back in the minds again... German Television mentioned the success of reairing Knight Rider and also brought back Airwolf... and both serie have great responses :D

Why shoudl´nt they bring those series on DVD???

You all will see it would be one of the best selling DVDs ever :) :D 8)

Yours Sandra 8)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:18 pm

Actually, that would be an exaggeration (about it being the biggest selling DVD ever)

The number of actual Knight Rider fans world wide isn't as high as some might think, because as mentioned in other threads, it is a guilty pleasure. There are a whole lot who will watch it, but won't admit to it, and won't spend money on it. DVD releases of series are based on their fan base, and who knows, Knight Rider may be down the line. Since Quantum Leap and Battlestar Galactica are on the lineup for this year (if I remember correctly)

Over at amazon.com, if you type in Knight Rider DVD, they take you to an item not available page, but a place where you can put your email address in so they can forward it to the producer to show that there is interest in the DVD. You might want to check that out. They have had it for about a year now.

KI

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:39 pm

I know.. but I never give it up :)

Still believing, that there are more than just the Hardcore Fans... especially here in Germany you here a lot of people asking about the KR DVDs.... still the KR Fan Base is very active and also we are very successfull :)

Just Step by Step we are going forward... at the moment there are some Interesting things are planed for the German Fans ... it´s beginning with a little stone and it´s gonna end within a big avalanche here...

First think is, they ask Fans for Interviews (already asked by Stern Magazine, they did an Interview with David in Dezember) also... Knight Rider is mentioned in a lot of Television Shows here... and so on ...

We just have to keep up the work we began and I think also that it would be great to build a "large alliance" around the world.. okay I know what you are thinking "german crazy chicken" or something like that but I can live with that :wink: :D

At the moment we can book another victory on our side: KR will rerun 2003 again.. :D

So greetings from rainy Germany

Yours Sandra

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:44 pm

That's Germany. Now for the rest of the world....well....that's a different story. We do have a rather pretty interesting thing on our side here in the States: We invented the show.

Don't get me wrong, I hope against all hope for it all too. But the little realist in me keeps seeing what is going on. But please note the amazon.com thingy. If you can get Amazon.com presenting it, people may listen.

KI

SWerni
Rookie

Post by SWerni » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:00 pm

knightimmortal wrote:That's Germany. Now for the rest of the world....well....that's a different story. We do have a rather pretty interesting thing on our side here in the States: We invented the show.

Don't get me wrong, I hope against all hope for it all too. But the little realist in me keeps seeing what is going on. But please note the amazon.com thingy. If you can get Amazon.com presenting it, people may listen.

KI

Yes Germany is a little bit different... and hey we are glad that the show was inventend in the U.S. ...

I am also a realist, and I know whats going on, but I am still thinking, that dreams can come true and so I am -like most all german KR Fans are - a little dreamer also...

We will see :) :D

Just won´t give up believing in it

Yours Sandra

David Whiteheart
Operative

Re: 20th Aniversary DVD Boxed sets??

Post by David Whiteheart » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:44 pm

The DVD's would probably be number one or at least close to it in Germany, because they are crazy about Hasselhoff and he sung at the Berlin wall in 1989 when the wall came tumbling down.

Here in the states on the other hand we're having trouble getting the first season from CH much less the whole series.

Dave

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:49 pm

Skav
'Modern' in content or original airdate? A couple of the shows mentioned were older, or of about the same time, as Knight Rider.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:03 pm

in content. i don't know about some of them shows, but i should have stated shows like the X files and Voyager.

Modern shows have alot more seasons than KR...4 is so very small and i think a lot of the success of KR was also the marketing factor.

lots of merchandise helped it a lot!

in my view, x files was succesful on its own. i don't know about in america, but there isn't much in the way of merchandise here in england for x files.

i think a lot of it is due to the fact of the quality of the show and people obviously liked it but i do know for a fact that marketing was a big strategy in the success of KR.

Perhaps due to the fact that many ppl viewed it as a kids show at the time and most of the merchandise were toys.

Skav

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:44 pm

Well, i certainly will be adding my name to the Amazon.com email list. There's also 3 volumes for purchase from the Amazon.co.uk website. I've added them to the "wish list", but I'd rather a boxed set.......
Only time will tell.

Adam
Last edited by MrPayner on Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.