1983 Kenner talking Knight Rider car

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kywolverine708
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

1983 Kenner talking Knight Rider car

Post by kywolverine708 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:14 am

After years of wanting this car I finally won two off of Ebay and recieved them the other day. One was great even the voice worked. The other one was pretty crappy it was intact. but the doors go all the way in. The top was pressed down (where i imagine i child pushed it down while pushing the car) The question I have is this:

The body is very dull it looks like years of caked on dust, i used a washcloth and some qtips to clean the car. it takes alot of pressure to get the "GOOK" off and I am afraid of hurting the plastic. Is there a solution I can use to clean that would bring the shiney luster back, without further damaging the car. The other car I won was beautiful, the shine was not as good as my brand new 1/18 (but 22 years is a long time for plastic). If anyone who has reworked this model tell me how to bring her back to Life. Any and all inquiries is welcomed

BTW Both of the 1983 kenner cars have great interior decals except that KITT's voice box is not there was this an oversite by kenner or did someone take them off my cars?? It does not look as if a sticker was on that spot.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:06 am

There is no voice modulator on the one piece sticker sheet on the dashboard. It is left blank.

When my Kenner KITT arrived, it too was very dusty. I had to take it apart so I could wash it with soap and water. You must take care not to get water on the voice box at the back, the battery compartment and the sticker sheets inside the car (hence the need to take the car apart).

Just use mild soap and water to clean the surface and the clear plastic parts (like the windshields). Do not use alcohol, kerosene or other similar liquids.

After cleaning, apply car wax to the body using a clean cloth and buff to a shine. I used Turtle Wax and Carnauba car wax on my KITT and it looks great. Use some cotton buds to clean away excess wax from hard to reach areas.

Note: Do not apply too much wax to the red Knight 2000 sign at the doors. They will be erased. Just apply minimally then buff with minimal force at these partsl.

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:19 am

well!...if you need to make a new labled style dash ,then just go to markscustomkits.com and tac a dash page and upload it to your paint program and resize it to fit the kenner dash and whalah!...it also helps to use contact paper or labling paper!...and cut and stick!

When I got my kenner kitt I cut the dash panel out and ran lights behind it and printed up a 4th season dash and it was done in days!
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

kywolverine708
Recruit

Post by kywolverine708 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:49 am

Thanks HondaSiR,
so, I should take the screws out of the bottom. And it should easily come apart???
BTW-- The windshield and back glass are both really cloudy. Is there anyway I can make these look better?? Both of the doors work but when I close them they push all the way in. Is there anyway to fix that??

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:34 am

Yup, just remove the screws at the bottom of the car. Then unfasten the body from the chassis (this may prove to be a bit difficult, it may require strong fingernails or a flathead screwdriver draped in cloth).

Cleaning the clear plastic windshields will help, but if its still cloudy, we can't do anything about it anymore. Over time it does tend to lose its clarity.

About the doors, check the hinge joint when you disassemble the car. Be careful you don't break anything, the plastic may be a bit brittle by now.

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:35 pm

sheltonw3 wrote:well!...if you need to make a new labled style dash ,then just go to markscustomkits.com and tac a dash page and upload it to your paint program and resize it to fit the kenner dash and whalah!...it also helps to use contact paper or labling paper!...and cut and stick!

When I got my kenner kitt I cut the dash panel out and ran lights behind it and printed up a 4th season dash and it was done in days!
Do you have any pics on the custom Kenner KITT dash?
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:50 pm

walter h. anderson wrote:
sheltonw3 wrote:well!...if you need to make a new labled style dash ,then just go to markscustomkits.com and tac a dash page and upload it to your paint program and resize it to fit the kenner dash and whalah!...it also helps to use contact paper or labling paper!...and cut and stick!

Do you have any pics on the custom Kenner KITT dash?

lets see if this link works???.......Image
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:03 pm

you will want to get some 3M Rubbing Compuund Professional Formula. you can get it at wally world in the automotive isle for around $5. it comes in a black 8 oz plastic bottle with a flip top lid.
use a cotton cloth and some gentle elbow grease and it should bring back the shine and help make the windows look clear again. once you are satisfied with the results, top it off with some plastic polish from a motorcycle shop. i recommend "Honda" brand plastic polish. after that, it should look almost as good as new.

kywolverine708
Recruit

Post by kywolverine708 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:16 am

Thanks pewter and hondasir,
I took it apart tonight, those tabs are tricky I was so afraid I was gonna break it. I did all the things you said it took me almost 2 hours but it is clean. After enough scrubbing on the windows they are clear. I guess this was in a smokers house or somthing. All the dirt was a dark yellow LOL. It was worth it though she is shining now. I found several dead bugs in it near the talking mechanism. Inside the plastic covering and all around the car. I wished I could clean the inside of my Working Nice KITT I bought but I am afraid it won't talk anymore so I am gonna leave well enough alone.

one more question what type of silver brand model paint do I need to use for the silver rims around the bowling cap. They have what appears to be a little black magic marker around it. It just on one will I know if I paint one I will have to paint them all.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:38 am

kywolverine708 wrote:one more question what type of silver brand model paint do I need to use for the silver rims around the bowling cap. They have what appears to be a little black magic marker around it. It just on one will I know if I paint one I will have to paint them all.
Is the black marker on just one tire? Finding an exact chrome color to match the original chrome rims will be difficult. Try to remove the magic marker first with some cotton buds dipped in brush cleaner or thinner. Don't paint over the other remaining rims since they look best that way.

kywolverine708
Recruit

Post by kywolverine708 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:02 am

the marks are only on the passenger front rim, when I cleaned on this car. I scrubbed this marks on the rim to death with a wash cloth and water and soap it didnt even fade. its barely noticeable, but it bugs me.

Great Idea on the wax it made both models look brand new almost as good as the 1/18. Except for those old tiny barely noticeable scratches.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:57 am

kywolverine708 wrote:the marks are only on the passenger front rim, when I cleaned on this car. I scrubbed this marks on the rim to death with a wash cloth and water and soap it didnt even fade. its barely noticeable, but it bugs me.
If its barely noticeable, let it be. Don't paint over it with silver paint, it will look "unoriginal" and it may look worse. If you can post a close-up pic, perhaps we can decide what to do with it later.
kywolverine708 wrote:Great Idea on the wax it made both models look brand new almost as good as the 1/18. Except for those old tiny barely noticeable scratches.
Congratulations, you have just increased the value of your KITT, not to mention its overall appearance and drool factor. :wink: