Just noticed...how does KITT get out of Apt in Good Knights.

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

oppenca2
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by oppenca2 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:19 pm

oppenca2 wrote:I got it mixed up with Let It Be Me because I was thinking Michael was rescuing Stevie, but it wasnt her, it was the girl from that episode I was wondering how the topic of Stevie got brought up on this thread. I was so confused. :shock: -Steve
Sorry, I can get confusing -- I have a BAD memory :oops:
I remember general info, but forget show titles. I had originally posted that the apt scene was from the episode Let it Be Me, I stand corrected now

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:32 pm

I thought that the garage was a little higher than the floor that KITT was trying to jump to... part that I'm thinking about this is when the camera followed M.K.s gaze towards the busted glass, that you could see the garage and that it was a bit taller.... anyways... I figured, just use a crane to get him out is all I could think of, but I guess the directors decided to leave it up to the audience to think of how KITT got out in the first place, hence this thread.

I would love to know how the stunt and camera effects worked to make that scene.... any guesses on that? remote control car, etc ?

Oh and KITT couldn't use TB on several occasions... like when he got pushed (or whatever) into that pool of acid... KITT didn't TB out of that... so I would assume, KITT would have to be in some kind of motion just before... that log deal, I believed they used that projection TB and I don't think KITT had that before that apartment scene... could be wrong, but thats my guess on that issue...

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:42 pm

Stargazer wrote: I guess the directors decided to leave it up to the audience to think of how KITT got out in the first place, hence this thread.

I would love to know how the stunt and camera effects worked to make that scene.... any guesses on that? remote control car, etc ?

Great points, Rob! I would like to know how they did that also, and how they really got KITT down, unless it was a model car...
-Carmen

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:06 pm

Stargazer wrote:Oh and KITT couldn't use TB on several occasions... like when he got pushed (or whatever) into that pool of acid... KITT didn't TB out of that... so I would assume, KITT would have to be in some kind of motion just before... that log deal, I believed they used that projection TB and I don't think KITT had that before that apartment scene... could be wrong, but thats my guess on that issue...
Well, in "Junk Yard Dog," K.I.T.T. was picked up by a forklift and was already in the air, then in a pool of acid. I think it's obvious that in order for KITT to turbo boost, his wheels have to be on the ground or on some solid surface. His wheels are where the turbo thrusts come from which catapult the car into the air. The forks grabbed KITT in such a way that his wheels had nothing to thrust off of in the air and when he was in the acid. Not to mention that the acid was probably eating away his turbo thrusters. However, KITT's wheels needed something solid to thrust off of which is why he couldn't blast out of there.

In "Out Of the Woods," Michael used a hydrolic lift and rapid cycle features to shake the logs up before he blasted out of them. I think you're right there that KITT didn't have those features before the 3rd season. However, KITT doesn't need those features to turbo boost while being stationary; Michael only needed to do that because of the logs. Being in motion certainly does help the length of a turbo boost I would think, but it is not required.

All KITT had to do to reverse turbo boost was use the Trajectory Guide that April installed. He'd probably have a rough landing but hey, when did KITT ever have a gentle one? I really have to see this episode again though to see the apartment for myself and the amount of space to see if that idea is plausible. So until I do, it's just my explanation for it for now.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:44 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Oh and KITT couldn't use TB on several occasions... like when he got pushed (or whatever) into that pool of acid... KITT didn't TB out of that... so I would assume, KITT would have to be in some kind of motion just before... that log deal, I believed they used that projection TB and I don't think KITT had that before that apartment scene... could be wrong, but thats my guess on that issue...
Well, in "Junk Yard Dog," K.I.T.T. was picked up by a forklift and was already in the air, then in a pool of acid. I think it's obvious that in order for KITT to turbo boost, his wheels have to be on the ground or on some solid surface. His wheels are where the turbo thrusts come from which catapult the car into the air. The forks grabbed KITT in such a way that his wheels had nothing to thrust off of in the air and when he was in the acid. Not to mention that the acid was probably eating away his turbo thrusters. However, KITT's wheels needed something solid to thrust off of which is why he couldn't blast out of there.

In "Out Of the Woods," Michael used a hydrolic lift and rapid cycle features to shake the logs up before he blasted out of them. I think you're right there that KITT didn't have those features before the 3rd season. However, KITT doesn't need those features to turbo boost while being stationary; Michael only needed to do that because of the logs. Being in motion certainly does help the length of a turbo boost I would think, but it is not required.

All KITT had to do to reverse turbo boost was use the Trajectory Guide that April installed. He'd probably have a rough landing but hey, when did KITT ever have a gentle one? I really have to see this episode again though to see the apartment for myself and the amount of space to see if that idea is plausible. So until I do, it's just my explanation for it for now.
In "K.I.T.T. Napped", when KITT was trapped int the lead box, he said he couldn't get enough traction for Turbo Boost, so I think he has to be moving for TB.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:39 pm

That seems to contradict being able to be stationary and blasting out of a spot like in "Out Of the Woods." "K.I.T.T.nap" is another episode I haven't seen in many years as well. I think it might have had to do with the fact that he was in a box and if he were to turbo boost out of it, he'd have to boost directly straight up into the air from what it sounds like.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:59 pm

Well, as the 2nd series of DVDs come out, maybe there will be talk about the "whys" of the shows....

we can only hope!

Oh, and you know we are going to have fun with who, what, where, when and how as the DVDs keep rolling out (keeping a positive attitude that they will roll out all of the seasons!)

reverber
Rookie

Grappling Hooks

Post by reverber » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:20 pm

personally i think you guys cant see the wood for the trees didnt kitt have a grappling hook for instance and if so if it was mounted to the rear couldnt he just fire that and use it to aid his escape.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:26 pm

The hook is mounted on the front, not the back. This is a detail that is seen in "Knight of the Drones". And it's also featured on the 1/18 scale KITT.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:27 am

The grappling hook is designed to pull other objects, NOT to pull the entire weight of K.I.T.T. himself. So if you're suggesting that he fire the hook to something and winch himself out, it ain't happening! The hook was initially mounted on the rear of the car before it was permanently relocated to the front.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:01 am

Remember when KITT was drag racing at the end of an episode? KITT was perfectly stationary before Michael smiles at the challenge and taps the turbo button, combined with stomping the gas pedal. which resulted in a jaw dropping launch.

Where the acid pit was concerned, KITT didn't try anything but begging for help. Which leads to an issue I pointed out all so long ago, where KITT was only semi-capable of making decisions on his own. The acid pit was beyond KITT's pre-determined situations that he could resource and he instantly started requesting his pilot for ideas...and Michael could give nothing more than appologies. So, we may never truly know if KITT could have turbo boosted out of that acid. I was always of the opinion that KITT could also have used the wench...had he not shut down his IQ and just drowned.

I really like the idea of using the parachute. If I recall right, they were high enough for the parachute to be useful. Only question to me is if this episode came about before or after two issues...one being if KITT had already rematched against Goliath (remember that KITT had only been equipped with the parachute so many hours (dozens or hundreds) before KITT went over the cliff.) and the other being if that was a Bonnie or April episode. (I am under the general impression that a jealous Bonnie didn't introduce most of April's 'upgrades' after Bonnie came back to rebuild poor KITT in Knight of the Juggernaut.)

Fantine
Operative

Post by Fantine » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Just got JYD in the mail yesterday....great story; astonishingly bad model shots. Whoa.

On a side note...that acid ate through dang near everything else....yet Kitt's tires were intact? There's a Goodyear commercial for you. "Goodyear....might just outlive your car." :D

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:03 pm

While not being coated with the Molecular Bonded Shell, K.I.T.T.'s tires were puncture-proof and heat resistant (to an extent). In "Knight Flight To Freedom," the tires can withstand the heat of lava, and evidently acid as well. It seems only a high-concentrated laser can destroy the tires. I also go by the theory that all glass on KITT was simply bullet-proof and not MBS coated which includes the T-top.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:16 pm

I don't remember the bit of information that stated what was and what wasn't bonded.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:07 pm

I don't think it ever was explained. We never actually got to see the shell being applied after any destruction, so I don't think we have any way of knowing for sure. Just a theory of mine to try and explain why K.I.T.T.'s shell and tires remained but all the glass was gone when pulled out of the pit in "Junk Yard Dog." I think only the shell and hub caps are protected with the MBS.
jup wrote:.Where the acid pit was concerned, KITT didn't try anything but begging for help. Which leads to an issue I pointed out all so long ago, where KITT was only semi-capable of making decisions on his own. The acid pit was beyond KITT's pre-determined situations that he could resource and he instantly started requesting his pilot for ideas...and Michael could give nothing more than appologies. So, we may never truly know if KITT could have turbo boosted out of that acid. I was always of the opinion that KITT could also have used the wench...had he not shut down his IQ and just drowned.
That's a really interesting theory you have there, jup. I would think that in an extreme situation like that, KITT would have a manual override (like when K.A.R.R. disables his brakes and makes John press Turbo Boost in "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R."). Other cases where KITT seemed to make decisions on his own were in "The Scent Of Roses" where he took it upon himself to pick Michael up from the hospital, and his little interactions with people trying to sabotage him (in early episodes KITT kept moving around so that no one could get under his hood), etc.

If anything, an extreme situation like the acid pit should have prompted KITT to think for himself more so than ever before. Which leads me back to believing that KITT could not boost out of the pit because there wasn't a solid surface for him to thrust off of. The acid might have immediately started eating away at the grappling hook too.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:20 am

My theory on why certain body elements survived is based on what the 'base' material consisted of and how it reacted with the pool of waste acids. You have to remember that the MBS is only a part of what it's applied to. If KITT's glass were merely bulletproof, (I 'think' they proved it could be MBS applied in Goliaath.) then I doubt they would go exploding bombs inside of KITT's trunk. (Yet, it's highly believed...and, perhaps proven, (KITTnap - KITT opens up the sunroof and takes a couple bullets in the seats in order to save a life, as per his main directives.) that the fabric wasn't MBS protected.) Or tackle a few other situations the way they did.

I've come to believe that the chemicals were probably so strong and resided enough on the sub-particle basis that they not only overwhelmed the MBS, they may have seeped past it and rotted the base material away. If KITT's base frame and tires could have stood up to the acids without the MBS, then it doesn't matter. Perhaps, these materials were only more resistant. After all, the Foundation Mobile unit was on-site at first light...or a little bit after. (Unless they skipped right over a bunch of paper work/legal issues/bla-bla-bla red tape. Then, KITT would be soaking for months. But, I don't think a KR plot ever thinks that deep.)