85 Trans am

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Goldwings
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

85 Trans am

Post by Goldwings » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:42 am

Well, I might have a good shot at getting a 85 Trans am for a KITT replica, that is if 1.) my parents don't kill me and 2.) i can work out some kinda deal with the owner. The thing is I don't remember seeing if it had a target top (it was dark in the parking lot when I wrote down his phone #) I really want one with a T top to make it season 1/2 accurate. My question is how easy is it to make it a T top? How does it affect the structure of the car? Should I just wait till I can find one with a target top instead? How rare are target top trans ams anyways?

Thanks guys! ^^

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:07 am

Go to http://www.markscustomkits.com to find out how expensive it would be..

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:47 pm

Dont try making the car have t-tops. Its a totally different roof skin, and unlss you are planning on puttin a hwole new roof on the car its not gonna work. PLus you will lose some structural integrity by puttin the t tops in there.

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:27 pm

ReddawgKnight wrote:Go to http://www.markscustomkits.com to find out how expensive it would be..
I am inclined to agree. I've seen pics of what they can do and I was very impressed. It is costly but well worth it. Thats just my two cents.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:48 pm

In my opinion it would actually be better if you found a car with T-tops. It would be cheaper and you can have your glass off as soon as you buy the car. I mean Mark is in Florida and you will have to pay Transportation both ways and with the cost of the roof conversion.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:24 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:In my opinion it would actually be better if you found a car with T-tops. It would be cheaper and you can have your glass off as soon as you buy the car. I mean Mark is in Florida and you will have to pay Transportation both ways and with the cost of the roof conversion.
Well I just called the owner. It is a target top. ^^ Problem is is he's asking 3K USD for it and it has about 177K miles on it. It is all origenal, but like I said earlier it had noticble blemishes.

What I could do...I could get rid of my 1999 Jetta and get this car. The thing is my Jetta is more reliable and has less miles of course. On the flip side this car would be much more simpler to work on myself. Another thing I do have to take in account for is gas, out here in CA it is very expensive and my jetta would obviously burn less than a Trans am.

What to do what to do....

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:52 pm

Don't let go of your daily driver Jetta. It is a fuel miser compared to an 80's Trans Am and you will definitely need it when you are working on your KITT replica.

If the car you are after has the t-tops, is in good condition for its age (minimal rust and chassis damage), then I think the 3K asking price is fair enough but you can still haggle a bit with the owner. The '85 does have the rare front fender vents (I think) but it lacks the cowl induction hood. You will have to find a replacement for this later. And the tail lights will need to be replaced too since they are of the curved type, not the flat ones on early 80's Firebirds. And the rims too, I don't think 85s came with the correct turbo-finned bowling ball caps. You will have to buy these later somewhere else.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:47 pm

I think if you snap some pictures and post them we can give you a more detailed opinion. Did the owner tell you what type of engine is in the car? You should also check http://www.autotrader.com for any other Firebird/Trans Ams in your area. Checking there can even help you find a cheaper or more resourceful Firebird/Trans Am. Good luck. :wink:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight of Sweden
Operative

Post by Knight of Sweden » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:37 am

yeah, buy a original t-top instead

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:47 am

Don't buy this car.Find another Trans Am with t-tops.And 177k miles on that car.I don't think you want to buy a car that's about has 200k miles.That's just wrong.He owner probably just lets the car sit there and rot.Just keep searching.And for a conversion you probably need to look around for a 82-84 Trans Am.

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:15 pm

you dont NEED an 82 -84. third gen parts are almost totally interchangable. you can get a later car and the parts will still fit with little to no modification. Also My car had 161K on the body and the only rust is on the drivers side rear 1/4 over the wheel well and a bit on the floors. Both are easliy fixable. Dont judge a car by its milage. GO look at it.

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:34 am

Well I ended up not getting the car. I guess it was for the better, besides like I said my parents would have most likey shot me.

I have been keeping an eye on ebay, I am hoping when I get the money I can snag a donor car close to my area.

Crovax Ws-6
Rookie

Post by Crovax Ws-6 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:21 am

good choice. also two things. The T -tops and a TARGA top are two totally different things. The t tops leave the center brace in the roof. Where as a Targa top removes the roof completely as one piece.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:11 am

I see a lot of third gens advertised in the local auto trader here in Bakersfield, CA. for about 2 grand or less. Chances are that perfect 82-84 will be totally beat to hell and no where near good mechanical order. You'll end up spending less getting a newer model and adding the correct fenders, hood, etc., than you would taking care of body and mechanical damage on an older model.

I figure as long as it's a third gen and has t-tops your good to go. The other stuff is just a mater of combing the junk yards and taking your time.

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:50 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:I see a lot of third gens advertised in the local auto trader here in Bakersfield, CA. for about 2 grand or less. Chances are that perfect 82-84 will be totally beat to hell and no where near good mechanical order. You'll end up spending less getting a newer model and adding the correct fenders, hood, etc., than you would taking care of body and mechanical damage on an older model.

I figure as long as it's a third gen and has t-tops your good to go. The other stuff is just a mater of combing the junk yards and taking your time.
Oh awesome! I am just right above you in Fresno, so that isnt too much of a drive away. The only problem would be getting it home, that and to and from school to work on it if I take more auto classes. My Bf has a silverado, it would be a matter of finding something to tow it on...

Anyways, I will have to go down there during spring or summer vacation (and when I get a wad of cash. )

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Goldwings wrote:My Bf has a silverado, it would be a matter of finding something to tow it on...
You can puill it with a tow bar. My old man has done it many times. Just remember to leave the steering open and the transmission in Neutral. :wink:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:32 am

Goldwings wrote:
Army_F_Body wrote:I see a lot of third gens advertised in the local auto trader here in Bakersfield, CA. for about 2 grand or less. Chances are that perfect 82-84 will be totally beat to hell and no where near good mechanical order. You'll end up spending less getting a newer model and adding the correct fenders, hood, etc., than you would taking care of body and mechanical damage on an older model.

Oh awesome! I am just right above you in Fresno, so that isnt too much of a drive away. The only problem would be getting it home, that and to and from school to work on it if I take more auto classes. My Bf has a silverado, it would be a matter of finding something to tow it on...

Anyways, I will have to go down there during spring or summer vacation (and when I get a wad of cash. )
Fresno ain't too far at all.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

knightrider2004
Operative

Post by knightrider2004 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:05 am

another plus about getting a 1992(newest 3rd gen model) is that the car has like 250 horsepower compared to like 90 horsepower from the 1982 chevy crossfire V8 motor. Also try to get either a carbeurated or tuned port injection car since these would make the car a little faster than the cross fires injection system.
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:47 pm

knightrider2004 wrote: compared to like 90 horsepower from the 1982 chevy crossfire V8 motor. .
Dude, wasnt it like 150 Horses. I believe the few 4Cyl Firebirds/ Trans Ams had 90 horses.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:24 am

Well my 92 V6 has about 200 hp and can take a 82-84 305 v8 no problem.

The only problem with a 92 that I know from experience is that all the trin has to be changed. I spent the afternoon removing my door panels and taking off the ground effects that are attached to the doors. if your going for a 100% there a lot of stuff that needs to be changed out. Some conversionists don't bother with a lot of that. I've seen a lot of excellent conversions with the stock newer center consoles or door trim still on them.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

knightrider2004
Operative

Post by knightrider2004 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:54 pm

I read on somewhere that an 82 stock firebird had about 90 horses. and in 92 they had like 250.
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust