Jab at DOH/General Lee in "Give me Liberty..."

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Darknight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Jab at DOH/General Lee in "Give me Liberty..."

Post by Darknight » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:31 am

I apologize if this has been mentioned before but I noticed a serious of suspicious coincidences in the episode. It features a bright orange charger driven by two redneck guys--one blonde, the other darker--who have rebel flag patches on their shirts, like the General had on its roof. Am I just looney or was KR trying to take a not-so subtle poke at a rival show/car? I mean, having KITT jump over a car which resembles another car famous for its own jumps seems fairly pointed in its own right, after all, and there was, and still is, an ongoing debate about KITT vs. the General.

Again, sorry if this has been discussed before, but it struck me such that I watched the episode twice. An interesting thing, how the Charger explodes. It actually makes you feel sorry for the same guys you couldn't stand all the way through the episode. Why do you suppose the KR staff chose that car for an explosion? It gets curioser and curioser, heh...

DK
Last edited by Darknight on Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:05 am

To show there's a new a$$ kicker on the block. lol
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:25 am

maybe they chose the car as a dig yeh, but the fact it was those two that died was for the plot more than a dig at DOH. maybe it was written in for it to be that way, who knows ;) lol. but yeh, u do feel sorry for them when they die, as its unexpected that they will... i mean, u may expect them to escape or for it to just disable the front of the car but when the explosion goes off... WoW! no chance!

love that stunt tho!! one of my very faves of the whole series!! great music (incidental and otherwise) in that ep too :D
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

knightrider2004
Operative

Post by knightrider2004 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:08 pm

did u notice though that the car on fire that michael walks up 2 is not a charger but in facta 4 door sedan that looked like a plymouth fury or a dodge polara. just take a close look at the rear bumper. maybe the script was changed 2 fit in the charger 2 blow up after they already blew up that car?
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:36 pm

knightrider2004 wrote:did u notice though that the car on fire that michael walks up 2 is not a charger but in facta 4 door sedan that looked like a plymouth fury or a dodge polara. just take a close look at the rear bumper. maybe the script was changed 2 fit in the charger 2 blow up after they already blew up that car?
i musta watched that episode more than any other in my box set but iv never noticed that. i'm not a fan of nitpicking but i woulda noticed that d'oh! time for new glasses lol!!
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:39 pm

Well a lot of tv shows/movies use different cars when they blow them up. They are usually junkers. Anyone remember the part in KR2000 when that police car was blown up by someone in a black police van. (thought to be filled with illegal firearms) Well, If you lok at all the polices cars they were all Chevrolet Berettas. The car that was blown up was a Ford Mustang painted as a police car. ( Looks llike the car was taped together. But who cares its a ford!) :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:46 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Well a lot of tv shows/movies use different cars when they blow them up. They are usually junkers. Anyone remember the part in KR2000 when that police car was blown up by someone in a black police van. (thought to be filled with illegal firearms) Well, If you lok at all the polices cars they were all Chevrolet Berettas. The car that was blown up was a Ford Mustang painted as a police car. ( Looks llike the car was taped together. But who cares its a ford!) :lol:
now THAT i did notice! was so obvious it ruined the chase... not that it was much of a chase in the first place admittedly!

stevem
Volunteer

Post by stevem » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:43 am

That episode was an obvious jab at DOH. The guys were cousins and their name was Prince. Much like Duke is a member of royalty so is a prince. They had the confederate flags on their jackets. They drove an orange Charger. The Charger ran on moonshine. It was pretty obvious that it was intended and not just coincidence. That was a good episode.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:47 pm

I'm sure that it was done in good humour. After all, weren't both shows NBC series'?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:58 am

I think that particular episode was just poking fun at the "Dukes of Hazzard", and I did watch that other show, but somehow, "Knight Rider" is a lot funnier more often....

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:07 am

Lyn wrote:but somehow, "Knight Rider" is a lot funnier more often....
Not to mention that KR is a lot cooler and technically far more advanced in almost all aspects of its production. :)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:47 am

I think that it has been said before that it was an intentional Jab at DOH. Jack Gill the stunt guy for Knight Rider had worked on Dukes in the past.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:55 am

Lyn wrote:I think that particular episode was just poking fun at the "Dukes of Hazzard", and I did watch that other show, but somehow, "Knight Rider" is a lot funnier more often....
you wouldn't think the chemistry between a man and a car would be better than that between two humans, but it is in the case of knight rider's chemistry and that of DOH. i think so personally, anyway. especially amazing when you consider david and william didn't work together!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:43 pm

In The Knight Rider Legacy book, it states that this episode had several subliminal knocks at The Dukes Of Hazzard. Also, at the time there had been promotional ads for Knight Rider in which they compared K.I.T.T. to the General Lee side by side with the headliner "The Competition Is No Competition!" Sounds like the producers really had it in for the General Lee!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: