1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by imranbecks » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:27 am

DanielB wrote:Having looked at some more photos, I'd say ERTL have done a better job on the foglights. Yes, there's an orange one, but they appear much more realistic; the plastic plugs that hold them in place are far less noticable than the Aoshima lights, which really look quite crude.
Yup... I agree with u DanielB.. After seeing the Aoshima KITT in the flesh, the foglights on the Aoshima model does not look as good as the foglights on the ERTL's. Look at the Aoshima 1:18 KITT and KARR pics, they have this black dot in the center of each lens while the ERTL KITT does not have that black dot (maybe there is, but it is not visible like Aoshima's).

U can see that KARR has those black dot in each foglights whereas the ERTL KITT doesn't.. IMO, the ERTL foglights looks nicer and more realistic..

For comparisons, here is the Aoshima KITT and the ERTL KITT. Look at those foglights... Which is much more nicer and realistic? Aoshima or ERTL? In my opinion, ERTL comes out tops here even though they have the orange lens..

Aoshima

ERTL

And as for the rear windows, it is not blacked out on both the ERTL and Aoshima.. It just looks dark in the pics because the rear window is tinted darker than the windshield.. The rear window is tinted similar to the colour of the removable t-tops...

Oh I keep forgetting to mention this, the scanner uses 5 leds...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:11 am

The ERTL KITT definitely looks better with those foglamps. Surprisingly, Aoshima's look crude indeed (with those ackward looking black circles in the middle). I'm ready to purchase an ERTL if I see it in the store now, and I'm also ready to paint the orange foglights silver if I so decide.

Why both manufacturers tinted the rear windshield is a mystery, it will definitely look better in clear plastic. Or perhaps they want to hide the rear compartment because it is not colored beige as it should (it is black).

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:14 am

And you guys all thought Ertl's KITT would suck! Well, neener neener neener! I knew all along Ertl would pull through! :D

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:20 am

MischievousJoe wrote:And you guys all thought Ertl's KITT would suck! Well, neener neener neener! I knew all along Ertl would pull through! :D
LOL!!! U got that right!

But the Aoshima KARR is a must as I was told by the guy selling it at the store that it is considered a limited edition..... Unless of coz if some of u want to wait for ERTL to release it next year.... Its not even confirmed yet..

Anyways, I'm still bothered with the grappling hook for KITT.. I just can't do anything abt it. Cld it be that I overpulled it, thats why it won't retract back.... hmmm...

kywolverine708
Recruit

Post by kywolverine708 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:23 am

Judging by the pics, I would have to agree ertl's looks superior. They just need to release the damned thing here in the United States. Enough with the waiting. I have been waiting for this since 1982 LOL.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:15 am

MischievousJoe wrote:And you guys all thought Ertl's KITT would suck! Well, neener neener neener! I knew all along Ertl would pull through! :D
Likewise! :D :D :D

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:47 am

Guys...I have my ERTL KITT!!! Yipeeee!!! I went to my favorite hobby store this evening (Uncle Johnny's Hobby Shop) and lo and behold!! It was right there waiting for me! They had three pieces available but two of them had damaged packaging (clear plastic part is distorted). But the third one was perfect and I just happened to have the money, and I grabbed it!! HooHaaa!!! And it didn't cost me any shipping fee, the model here in Manila costs US$34.00!! A bargain indeed! I am one happy man this evening! :D

On a side note, I was told by the owner that he won't be selling the Aoshima KITT or KARR in the near future. Looks like they will remain as mail order items. Oh well, when the ERTL KARR is released, I'm sure he will have it in stock for me. Let the good times roll!!! :D

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:53 am

HondaSiR wrote:Guys...I have my ERTL KITT!!! Yipeeee!!! I went to my favorite hobby store this evening (Uncle Johnny's Hobby Shop) and lo and behold!! It was right there waiting for me! They had three pieces available but two of them had damaged packaging (clear plastic part is distorted). But the third one was perfect and I just happened to have the money, and I grabbed it!! HooHaaa!!! And it didn't cost me any shipping fee, the model here in Manila costs US$34.00!! A bargain indeed! I am one happy man this evening! :D

On a side note, I was told by the owner that he won't be selling the Aoshima KITT or KARR in the near future. Looks like they will remain as mail order items. Oh well, when the ERTL KARR is released, I'm sure he will have it in stock for me. Let the good times roll!!! :D
Good for u!!!! It looks like those living in Asia gets the model first as it is closer to the factory and supplier which of coz is in China... (I'm from Asia too in case u didn't know... Singapore :wink: )

Take care of the grappling hook.. Don't let it end up like mine...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:58 am

I haven't even attempted to take it out of the box yet...I'm still admiring it as a whole....you can press the button for the scanner effect even if you don't take it out of the box. And you're right Imranbecks, there are only 5 LEDs for the front scanner. It goes back and forth beautifully but it tends to cut out for a split second before going back to the opposite direction. It just doesn't run continually. But it still looks awesome!! :D

Oh, and the grappling hook? I'm not touching it...not until somebody else finds a way to retract it. I don't want to take a chance just yet. :wink:
Last edited by HondaSiR on Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:01 am

HondaSiR wrote:I haven't even attempted to take it out of the box yet...I'm still admiring it as a whole....you can press the button for the scanner effect even if you don't take it out of the box. And you're right Imranbecks, there is only 5 LEDs for the front scanner. It goes back and forth beautifully but it tends to cut out for a split second before going back to the opposite direction. It just doesn't run continually. But it still looks awesome!! :D
Yup.. It doesn't run continuously (same as Aoshima), but it definitely looks awesome!! U got it at such a bargain!!!

BTW, there are 2 types of control for the scanner... a button at the bottom (the "TRY ME!" button) will switch on the flasher for 20 seconds, if you switch on another switch (the blue one on the bottom right hand side of the car), the scanner will keep on going...Nice touch...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:08 am

Yup, it is a bargain indeed! It's probably cheaper where I live because of the proximity from the place of manufacture (which is China).

I really got lucky that I had the money on hand. A lot of people were looking at the models and were fascinated when I activated the front scanner. They were amazed! And most of them weren't even Knight Rider fans! They were looking at the James Bond cars earlier when I happened along.

Oh...and the second scanner button? Cool! I didn't know that, probably because I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Wow, I am amazed. I wonder what other secrets this car has that we don't know of?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:16 am

HondaSiR wrote:Yup, it is a bargain indeed! It's probably cheaper where I live because of the proximity from the place of manufacture (which is China).

I really got lucky that I had the money on hand. A lot of people were looking at the models and were fascinated when I activated the front scanner. They were amazed! And most of them weren't even Knight Rider fans! They were looking at the James Bond cars earlier when I happened along.

Oh...and the second scanner button? Cool! I didn't know that, probably because I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Wow, I am amazed. I wonder what other secrets this car has that we don't know of?
LOL.... Maybe there is a button somewhere to transform it into SPM.. :lol: I wish!!!! :lol:

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:18 am

ah crap now i want 1 :o

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:20 am

I'm sure it will be released soon in the states... Maybe by next week.. I'm talking abt the ERTL KITT of coz...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:21 am

imranbecks wrote:LOL.... Maybe there is a button somewhere to transform it into SPM.. :lol: I wish!!!! :lol:
Hahaha...that would be icing on the cake if it were true! But who knows? Perhaps ERTL has plans on making an SPM version some day. I just hope they make a lot of money on this one to make them consider the idea. :D

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:25 am

HondaSiR wrote:
imranbecks wrote:LOL.... Maybe there is a button somewhere to transform it into SPM.. :lol: I wish!!!! :lol:
Hahaha...that would be icing on the cake if it were true! But who knows? Perhaps ERTL has plans on making an SPM version some day. I just hope they make a lot of money on this one to make them consider the idea. :D
I think the ERTL KITT will sell very well and make lots of money.. The future is still bright..

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:30 am

Yep, as bright as KITT's scanner during night time! I certainly hope when ERTL releases KARR, it would also rake in the money. When it does, ERTL may even consider reproducing the Juggernaut...or even Goliath! Heck, if Hasbro had it in them to make the Masterpiece Optimus Prime, ERTL can make Goliath indeed! :D

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:24 am

HondaSiR wrote:Yep, as bright as KITT's scanner during night time! I certainly hope when ERTL releases KARR, it would also rake in the money. When it does, ERTL may even consider reproducing the Juggernaut...or even Goliath! Heck, if Hasbro had it in them to make the Masterpiece Optimus Prime, ERTL can make Goliath indeed! :D
I think it would be funny if they reproduced NERD or maybe even KITT in SPM.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:42 am

This web site shows preorder for an ERTL version... the close up photos shows white lettering on the tires with trans am on the fenders and the Firebird logo.

http://www.diecastmuscle.com/store/3384 ... /33844.jpg

The non close ups show different:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:05 pm

Guys, I mustered enough strength to open up my ERTL KITT and now I would like to report the following:

When you get your own KITT, DO NOT pull the grappling hook all the way out!!! The winch that it attaches to has some difficulty in reeling the entire length of the string back to the starting point. I only pulled one fourth of the entire length and I had difficulties in retracting it back. That's because when the string is pulled out with force, it actually stretches itself a bit! The winch is designed to turn to a certain amount only (there is a mechanism that retracts the string). There is a tiny circular lever that you can use to help reel the string back but it is very difficult. I would say that this is definitely a design defect.

Other than this nuisance, the other features of the car are superb. The paint is very shiny (but the front fender vents are strangely flat black in color). The right ejector seat does go up (but with minimal force) with the press of a nearby switch. Both seatbacks can be moved forward a bit (like when a person needs access to the rear seats).

The two TV screens are done in a mirror-like finish (like chrome). Pretty well done, mine doesn't need touching up. The black bowling ball cap wheels do not have the red Trans Am emblem.

That's all I can report for now, its 2:10 am over here and my eyes are pretty tired (not to mention my fingers from grappling with the grappling hook!). I'll try to post some more detail later.

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:13 pm

HondaSiR wrote:Guys, I mustered enough strength to open up my ERTL KITT and now I would like to report the following:

When you get your own KITT, DO NOT pull the grappling hook all the way out!!! The winch that it attaches to has some difficulty in reeling the entire length of the string back to the starting point. I only pulled one fourth of the entire length and I had difficulties in retracting it back. That's because when the string is pulled out with force, it actually stretches itself a bit! The winch is designed to turn to a certain amount only (there is a mechanism that retracts the string). There is a tiny circular lever that you can use to help reel the string back but it is very difficult. I would say that this is definitely a design defect.

Other than this nuisance, the other features of the car are superb. The paint is very shiny (but the front fender vents are strangely flat black in color). The right ejector seat does go up (but with minimal force) with the press of a nearby switch. Both seatbacks can be moved forward a bit (like when a person needs access to the rear seats).

The two TV screens are done in a mirror-like finish (like chrome). Pretty well done, mine doesn't need touching up. The black bowling ball cap wheels do not have the red Trans Am emblem.

That's all I can report for now, its 2:10 am over here and my eyes are pretty tired (not to mention my fingers from grappling with the grappling hook!). I'll try to post some more detail later.
Thanks for the info! I just ordered mine today. :wink:
BTW... how does the scanner effects hold out?

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:19 pm

The scanners work beautifully, even with just 5 LEDS. The batteries are located under the car, at the fuel tank compartment near the muffler. Two small black screws are holding it in place. You will need a small phillips screwdriver to gain access to the four button cell batteries.

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:14 pm

Stargazer wrote:This web site shows preorder for an ERTL version... the close up photos shows white lettering on the tires with trans am on the fenders and the Firebird logo.

http://www.diecastmuscle.com/store/3384 ... /33844.jpg

The non close ups show different:
Those close up shots are photos of the prototype. If you scroll back a page you'll see photos of the finished product that a fellow forum member was gracious enough to post. :)

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:01 pm

I'd like to add something about the scanner...the way they sort of created the trailing effect. They put the 5 LEDS way way down the opening, not directly at eye level of the rectangular hole. This in effect creates a kind of "prism" of light! Whoever designed this feature really knew what he was doing because if the LEDs were placed directly at the opening, the individual bulbs would be too bright and won't be too convincing. This is a marvel indeed. I am still wondering where they put the mini circuit board for the scanner, its not in the engine compartment. My guess is its located somewhere behind the dashboard or at the rear compartment where the batteries are located.

I probably won't paint the orange fog lamps since they look pretty awesome already. But for the purists out there, it will be easy to paint it silver (not white, it won't look good).

I've also noticed that the dashboard is slightly tilted up. I tried to press it back a bit but it won't budge. There is also the clutch pedal that shouldn't be there. Thankfully it is made out of plastic and anybody can saw it off easily with an exacto knife. The gas pedal also has indentations for the lights but since this is a season one KITT with the two TV display, I will leave the gas pedal as it is...plain black. I wish they could have recreated the turn signal blackouts, that would have made this model a true season one version.

As Imranbecks mentioned earlier, the Knight Rider plate at the back is made out of sticker...and the hue of the blue color is a bit light in my opinion.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:50 pm

wtf??? are you serious I have to complain, can someone tell me where to complain this is such crap, honestly