Yet another talking car movie

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Yet another talking car movie

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:52 pm

Pixar released a trailer for their next big feature "Cars" coming out in 2005:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/cars/
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:36 am

So who's taking bets on there being a joke about a talking black car in that film? :lol:

Cheers Mike.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:53 am

OK THAT LOOKS STUPID! lol I'm sorry... but KITT finds that mildly offensive, disturbing and *cough* *pats KITT* Poor car is going to need to see a psychiatrist after viewing that preview. :|
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:25 am

I was a bit let down by that trailer I'm sad to say. I would expect more from Pixar, specially after The Incredibles. The animation looks a bit like their early work. Of course it is still a year away from being released and things do change, but that's my general feel right now.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:00 am

...I dunno. Its much harder to animate a in-animate object into an animate object. Cars don't have limbs par-say, so your likely to create a more rigid body. I have only seen trailers of the Incredibles and it does look really good, but cars by nature don't lend themselves too well to animation. I also get the feeling that Pixar is trying not to make the film too real-looking.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:49 pm

The overall feel I have was that it is an early trailer and not going to get too intricate into plot detail for now. Looks like they took the idea both Toy Story movies (both excellent movies) and applied it to cars.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:24 pm

Geez.. i must be easily entertained. I love the animation work that Disney/Pixar put into all their movies. I was in stitches when watching the preview, especially the part at the beginning with all the bee's.

I'm looking forward to it coming out, as being part of a car club we're already planning on seeing it at the drive-in. Only thing is, it's still 12 months away!

Regards
AP

lordvader
Rookie

Post by lordvader » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:58 pm

I agree with MrPayner, I thought the trailer looked pretty good. It seemed funny to me. I hope they do put a reference to KITT or even the General Lee. That would make me see it even more. It's still to early to tell if it will be good or not, but considering Pixar's other movies this one should be good too. I think its good to see more movies with talking cars. Although it does take away from KITT's one of a kind theme that was in the show.
"I have no eggs. Perhaps you could direct me to a chicken." - KARR

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:55 pm

In a way it does take away from the talking car appeal, but since it's a cartoon, I don't think it will take away much of Knight Rider's gimmick. Nowadays with technology being so far ahead of what it was in 1982, the talking car gimmick would not be enough to sell a movie's idea to audiences anyway, especially since some modern cars do speak in one form or another.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:57 pm

disappointed that the headlights aren't being used for the eyes, the proper car's headlights with maybe some exaggeration for character. like when you look at a car you kinda see a face on the front... look at the end of the trailer when the truck is talking about the film, if you look at his front where his mouth is, my brain was seeing the headlights as the eyes, and with one being knocked out it seemed to give him so much more character than the eyes it did have in its windscreen. same goes for the other car when it got hit by the bees.

my jury's out... and i'm a HUGE fan of pixar!!

:S
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:48 pm

I actually enjoyed this one. It reminds me of the old Theodore Tugboat and Thomas the Tank Engine shows. :)

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:29 am

omg Thomas the tank engine, lol, that was one heck of a show, Gordon rules (#4)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:18 am

I loved Thomas! :) There's a hobby house near me (well two) but one in particular is called "Despatch Junction" and they sell mostly model train stuff and some car modeling stuff too. I got some paint from them and left them my name/number and the info on the KITT models I'm looking for. Anyway, they have three setups. One large one and a smaller one in the main area, and then in the back room like area (public access) is a Thomas The Tank Engine setup! :) In that back room they sell all TTTE stuff. They even sell some of the videos! I think only on VHS though and I switched to DVD recently, so I probably won't buy any unless it's DVD.

Someone had done a POV-Ray raytraced scene of Thomas. Was pretty darn cool!

I also loved Theodore Tugboat. I love lighthouses so LuLu was another favorite. :)

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:58 am

lol, thomas was my hero as a child!! i even loved the original books before it came to tv! and what's my job now...? (hehheh, check my profile! ;))

nostalgia reigns when the show is on tv, but only as long as it's the original ringo starr-narrated eps... what on earth happened after that?! lol.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:59 am

knightendo - It would be interesting to see if people had taken on careers that were reminiscent of what they enjoyed when they were kids. :)

I ended up doing computer web design and programming. But I always loved Sci-Fi, computers and robots. So it's no wonder I got into a computer job. :) I had a few Childhood heros: Batman & Robin (the early ones with Adam West and Bert Ward) and then it was Mr. Spock on Star Trek (Leonard Nimoy), then of course K.I.T.T. (William Daniels' voice) so I kinda always enjoyed cars, logic, computers. I also loved the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman as well as Buck Rogers in the 21st Century. Oddly, I never got hooked on Star Wars. We saw several of the first movies in theatres but guess for some odd reason it never phased me. Oh yeah, and I also was into all the Star Trek incarnations and Battlestar Galactica.

See a theme here? Robots perhaps? :)

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:12 am

FuzzieDice, yeh i noticed the other thread on here about kr-related jobs. i would probably say knight rider didn't have an influence on me in that way. as a child i loved kr, thomas, the real ghostbusters and the transformers (the originals ofcourse! :D). when i became older i really got into babylon 5 and in turn became a fan of its creator j michael straczynski.

directly through him (his book and personal contact through emails) i realised my keeness (real word?! lol) for scriptwriting and have become very interested in this. i studied media for two years and now aside from my full-time job i run a small "home movie" thing which is basically just me lol. i do wedding dvds, dvd profiles on local bands, dvds for small businesses etc.. with my eye on producing small films too from some of my scripts. i have to say baywatch has definitely influence my directing style as far as placing musical monologues into my dvds and the way i edit them. (minus the skimpily-clad ladies unfortunately lol)

the railway series of books and then thomas the tank engine really got me interested in trains as a kid, but i grew out of that. after the media course i was looking for a job to fund my other vocation, but one that didn't involve shop work, bar work etc. i thought "is there a job i can do and enjoy outside that isn't manual labour?" lol, and voila, here i am. i love the job and it has reawakened my interest in the railway but in more of a career-way than a hobby way.

if that makes sense lol.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:43 pm

They'll have no problem selling tons of toys with this film, but I agree that so far it doesn't look like their best work. It might just be a bad trailer; the race scene might be very exciting in the actual movie but because it takes up such a large part of the trailer, it makes the movie look dull.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:03 am

Will this movie actually come out in the U.S.? My boss told me he saw something about it in the movies!