EBS Question

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

EBS Question

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:17 pm

I always wondered if K.I.T.T.'s air brakes in SPM mode should actually fly open in the direction they do. I would imagine that they would flap open backwards to create a parachute effect in order to help stop the car? On some hotrod and dragster races, a parachute flies out from the back, yet the air brakes on K.I.T.T. face the opposite direction of those parachutes, so I wonder how they're supposed to work?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: EBS Question

Post by Matthew » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I always wondered if K.I.T.T.'s air brakes in SPM mode should actually fly open in the direction they do. I would imagine that they would flap open backwards to create a parachute effect in order to help stop the car? On some hotrod and dragster races, a parachute flies out from the back, yet the air brakes on K.I.T.T. face the opposite direction of those parachutes, so I wonder how they're supposed to work?
I believe that the principle applied is supposed to be that of a parachute, as the flaps are clearly there to provide a massive amount of drag, so as to counteract the aerodynamics of SPM. The primary problem of course is that the flaps are painted red so as to indicate that it is a braking breaking system to drivers who are behind it and see it in use. Also, I’d think that if they were inverted, there is the possibility that if Kitt was going faster than conceived, that the parts could wind up being sheered off, as there is no clear indication that those parts are protected by the MBS. :)

From Matthew
Last edited by Matthew on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:18 pm

I liked Matthew's explanation, the only think I'll add is that the EBS fins were not the primary stopping force; KITT's wheels still locked up like normal brakes work (well, before anti-lock systems). The fins provided additional drag.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:40 pm

heh, it was pointless painting the fins red since there were never any cars behind or surrounding kitt at all whenever he was in SPM.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:42 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I liked Matthew's explanation, the only think I'll add is that the EBS fins were not the primary stopping force; KITT's wheels still locked up like normal brakes work (well, before anti-lock systems). The fins provided additional drag.
Yeah, I never got the EBS. They should of opened the other way around to produce drag not decrease it. And speaking of Anti Lock Brakes. Do you guys really know what they are. Most people think it helps to stop the car. But they really prevent the brakes from locking up. Just to let you guys know. :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:06 am

Right, Anti-Lock brakes prevent the brakes from locking so that you can brake and steer away from whatever it is in front of you at the same time. Try steering while locking conventional brakes ;)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:12 am

cloudkitt wrote: Try steering while locking conventional brakes ;)
Not a great thing to do. :?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:14 am

Yes, correction: try steering while locking up conventional brakes in a WIDE OPEN SPACE.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:43 am

Yeah, one time i was driving a Suzuki Samurai. It didnt have power steering so i was on the brake and trying to turn at the same time. It was funny as hell. BEcuase i had stopped so i was rying to turn the whell full to the left with the brakes applied. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:00 am

Fins on airplanes work the same way. When some jets hit the runway, the wing flaps pop up in the same direction KITT's did. And the primary function of anti-lock brakes is still to stop the car, they just do it in a safer manner than traditional brakes. Which unfortunately makes it harder for stuntmen to do some of those cool 180s- there are times when you WANT the car to go into a skid!
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:28 pm

Oh good point about the airplane fins, very true!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:28 pm

Stunt drivers use the handbrake. Right? :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:13 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Stunt drivers use the handbrake. Right? :lol:
In Knight Rider, the stuntman used the brake pedal (seldomly the hand brake) because he needs both his hands on the steering wheel. There is a "pedal switch" on the floor that he can activate in order to "disengage" the front or rear brakes. When this pedal switch is activated, when the brake pedal is pressed, only the rear wheels (or the front wheels) are braking. No need to use the hand brake. Pretty convenient for the stunt driver and much more safer. He can always reset the switch later for normal driving.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:16 am

HondaSiR wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:Stunt drivers use the handbrake. Right? :lol:
In Knight Rider, the stuntman used the brake pedal (seldomly the hand brake) because he needs both his hands on the steering wheel. There is a "pedal switch" on the floor that he can activate in order to "disengage" the front or rear brakes. When this pedal switch is activated, when the brake pedal is pressed, only the rear wheels (or the front wheels) are braking. No need to use the hand brake. Pretty convenient for the stunt driver and much more safer. He can always reset the switch later for normal driving.
I know that, I was talking about stunt drivers in general.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:27 am

Stunt drivers from the other series probably used the same technique. It's not patented by anybody so the use of the pedal switch is fairly common in the stunt car world.

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:02 am

As far as the EBS I think another example would be Nascar. Ever see those guys spin backwards and all of a sudden like four flaps pop out to create drag. But in this case they are opening the opposite of EBS. And since EBS is "Emergency" did kitt ever use them in a NON-SPM situation?

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:06 pm

I'm afraid not. :(
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:09 pm

going back to abs brakes they do help stop the car quicker because they sense the point where the brakes lock up and release then the pressure is reapplied until you stop. the theory is that a wheel that is sliding along the ground has less friction due to the fact its sliding which means there it will take a greater distance to stop cos there is less stopping force applied due to the loss of friction with abs you are applying the same force but are releasing the force just before the wheels lock and start to skid then the force is reapplied untilyou stop pressing the footbrake or stop because the whel keeps turning it is maintaing a higher amount of friction then a sliding tyre would so less braking distance. its all to do with coefficients of friction but it does help the car stop quicker and safer.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:52 am

ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) is a good invention (by Mercedes Benz I think, correct me if I'm wrong). It's a good thing they didn't patent it, they were very generous in sharing this technology with other car makers. Unfortunately ABS was not around during the time of Knight Rider. But as of now, nearly all automakers have this option in their model lineup. A very good option to have I must say.