Michael & Bonnie

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Michael & Bonnie

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:26 am

Hey all, fairly new here and had a question. Dont remember too much of seasons 2-4 bc its been forever since Ive seen them on TV when I was like 8 probably. Anyways, everyone talk about how Michael and Bonnie never really became a thing together.

Some things I noticed, obviously they flirt with each other. We know that much. In Chariot of Gold Michael says "we love each other" to Bonnie to get her to come around from being all drugged up. Michael was talking all about being a "team" and etc. but saying they "love each other" last, is there something more to that?

And then in White Bird, the whole scene in the semi where Bonnie just flat out seems jealously pissed asking about who Stephanie Mason is. Michael clearly hesitating to tell her. Bonnie shaking her head. Why? If it was anybody else would it have been that difficult for Michael to tell them who Stevie was? Honestly, in that scene it seemed like they were actually dating.

And is it just me or does everytime Bonnie tells Michael to "be careful" seem like a way of masking the way she really feels about him?

Not remembering much from seasons 3 and 4 does this sort of thing continue on?

Later!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:09 pm

It's my opinion that Bonnie had surpressed feelings about Michael, but never revealed them and remained "professional." In "Trust Doesn't Rust," after Michael plays chicken with K.A.R.R. and he goes off the cliff, Bonnie and Michael almost hug and kiss, but stop themselves at the last second. The sexual tension is clearly visible there.

After "White Bird," I think the appearance of Stevie rekindles Michael's old feelings and changes his outlook on women temporarily, at least with Bonnie, because he seems to stop flirting with her after the episode. Of course we meet the "bimbo of the week" in most episodes and I think Michael's "playa" attitude is a result of his subconscious yearning for a lost love. The sense of jealousy that appears to surface from Bonnie when finding out about Stevie comes from a feeling of no longer being the object of Michael's affection, despite never intending to act on it anyway. It's very common in real life with people acting this way. They get used to being pursued and not being the pursuer, and when they find out they're not number one anymore, people sometimes have trouble accepting it.

With each appearance Stevie makes in the series (3), it holds Michael back from moving on and makes his life that much more difficult before he finally decides to not let it slip away again in "The Scent Of Roses."
Michael's comment "we love eachother" to Bonnie from "Chariot Of Gold" is in my opinion more like the love of close family. Michael started a new life from scratch with a new face, a new car, a new identity, and a new family when he joined the Foundation, so I think it's clear that it was in that context.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:22 pm

I think that Michael and Bonnie had a real shot at Love but some women in the series came along.But in the show michael nad Bonnie Flirted a bit but off the set i'm sure they were just good close friends. :wink:

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:10 pm

No they never got beyond a hug. Probably because the writers thought that it would be too much for them to work together AND date...
In the movie following (KR2000) they should have had them married with a couple of kids or something. That is what I think Michael would have done, instead of this "burned out" thing.
The funny thing is, he seemed to get pretty close with some of the women on the show, but rarely ever saw them again! But, I guess it was an action/sci fi, not a soap right? :P

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:00 pm

The sense of jealousy that appears to surface from Bonnie when finding out about Stevie comes from a feeling of no longer being the object of Michael's affection, despite never intending to act on it anyway. It's very common in real life with people acting this way. They get used to being pursued and not being the pursuer, and when they find out they're not number one anymore, people sometimes have trouble accepting it.
You make a good point Lost. That is very true. I remember a few years ago when I would flirt... no, more like bicker with this friend of mine. We would nag at each other almost like siblings. And I never really thought much of it until this other guy started showing interest in her and I remember becoming a tad jealous. I guess the White Bird episode really made me step back and think about it. In fact, I forgot to mention it in my initial post, but in White Bird during said semi scene, after Michael drives out of the semi, Bonnie stands up against the wall and looks like her whole world has fallen apart. Weird.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:32 pm

Lost Knight wrote: The sense of jealousy that appears to surface from Bonnie when finding out about Stevie comes from a feeling of no longer being the object of Michael's affection, despite never intending to act on it anyway. It's very common in real life with people acting this way. They get used to being pursued and not being the pursuer, and when they find out they're not number one anymore, people sometimes have trouble accepting it.
Yep, I think that's spot on, Lost Knight. When I saw that scene, I was wondering if I missed an episode where they did get together because the emotions there seemed so intense. Patricia McPherson actually talked about that scene at Knight Nats and said it was one of her favorites. She said that the director had wanted her to be less angry/jealous and asked her to loop it (rerecord it later) but she tried to keep it as close to the original as she could.

But I love that scene (as you can probably guess from my avatar) because it did hint at so much more. I don't think there's enough in canon to speculate anything other than a platonic relationship, but there were some cute moments.

Oh and to answer your other question Handzus' Stupid Fro, there was some of that still in season 3 but not nearly as much. Michael would call Bonnie beautiful or things like that, but there was less of him actually hitting on her and I don't think he ever actually asked her out after season 1. There seemed to be more friendly or goofy moments than sexual tension moments.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:41 pm

Boonie and Michael i maybe wrong but i think the first time they kissed was in circus Knight were michael pulls up into the tent and michael says(Hi sweetheart)And kisses her on the cheeck.And that was the last epsiode of season 3.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:06 pm

Patricia McPherson actually talked about that scene at Knight Nats and said it was one of her favorites. She said that the director had wanted her to be less angry/jealous and asked her to loop it (rerecord it later) but she tried to keep it as close to the original as she could.
Geez that stinks, make it less emotional is what it sounds like. Thats one of my fave scenes of all time. I shudder to think at what wound up on the editing room floor ya know?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:11 am

This whole concept of a possible romance between Michael and Bonnie is actually a lot of the reason Patricia McPherson was fired from the show after season one. Patricia wanted the writers to develop the relationship between Michael and Bonnie into more than the mild flirting, which resulted in conflicting views with one of the producers (I'm assuming because they wanted Michael Knight to appear more "cool" as a ladies' man in the producers' view of the character). Patricia thought it was ridiculous that the producers didn't want to develop this idea because there is some type of romance on nearly every episode.

On my Special Features & Bloopers DVD, there's a telephone interview in which Patricia even implies - in a polite way of putting it - having to earn her stay as a regular on the show concerning this producer. Her being fired pretty much explains the outcome, in which I can definately respect her morals. I'm a little hazy on the exact circumstances of how she got rehired, but the cast of the show always wanted her back, especially David, though they felt they weren't in the position to have any power over the cirucmstances.

But, fortunately our beloved Bonnie came back to the series and reprised her role as the character we all know & love. :D Poor April, I liked her too, but she can never compare to Bonnie, I think maybe her only chance would have been to be in Bonnie's place for 3 seasons and have Bonnie only be there for one season. April holds her own but I think one season just wasn't enough time for the fans to get used to her enough.

And concerning Michael and Bonnie's flirting but having to hold back, it sounds like an episode of The Real World or something, don't you think?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:57 am

Some of that maybe dumb because Bonnie and Michael should have had a relationship and the producers didn't like that.That sucks.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:03 pm

Some of that maybe dumb because Bonnie and Michael should have had a relationship and the producers didn't like that.That sucks.
Sucks big time.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:57 pm

I wonder after the Knight Rider releases when david hasselhoff said he wanted to do a series after again maybe if he can get Patricia McPherson back they can fall in love hehe.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:29 pm

I wonder after the Knight Rider releases when david hasselhoff said he wanted to do a series after again maybe if he can get Patricia McPherson back they can fall in love hehe.
Atleast that is somewhat believable. Would make for good closure.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:54 pm

86chvs10 wrote:I wonder after the Knight Rider releases when david hasselhoff said he wanted to do a series after again maybe if he can get Patricia McPherson back they can fall in love hehe.
THAT is a GREAT idea!!!!

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:22 pm

oppenca2 wrote:
86chvs10 wrote:I wonder after the Knight Rider releases when david hasselhoff said he wanted to do a series after again maybe if he can get Patricia McPherson back they can fall in love hehe.
THAT is a GREAT idea!!!!
Maybe they can revel there true feelings to each other. :D

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:55 am

Maybe they can revel there true feelings to each other.
They would almost HAVE to. I mean, they killed off Devon in KR2K - not that he could come back anyways :cry: . But it would be nice thats for sure. I think I read somewhere that she said she would like to get back to acting anyways.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:14 am

hmm that will be good for her to get back into acting again. :D

hot_knight
Rookie

Re: Michael & Bonnie

Post by hot_knight » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:06 pm

Handzus' Stupid Fro wrote: And then in White Bird, the whole scene in the semi where Bonnie just flat out seems jealously pissed asking about who Stephanie Mason is. Michael clearly hesitating to tell her. Bonnie shaking her head. Why? If it was anybody else would it have been that difficult for Michael to tell them who Stevie was? Honestly, in that scene it seemed like they were actually dating.
Im watching this epi right now and its hilarious. Bonnie practically SCREAMS "WHO IS STEPHANIE MASON!!"

There is no way that she would react to that unless she was dating him.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:30 pm

Im watching this epi right now and its hilarious. Bonnie practically SCREAMS "WHO IS STEPHANIE MASON!!"

There is no way that she would react to that unless she was dating him.
Thats what Im saying! It looks like they are an item right there!