KARR With Red Scanner In KvK!

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KARR With Red Scanner In KvK!

Post by KARR Engineer » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:31 pm

lofer
Rookie

Post by lofer » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:33 pm

Sorry, you don't have reason in this! Clearly I watched this scene hundreds of times and is a yellow scanner... :roll:
http://www.elcochefantastico.net

... un hombre que no existe en un mundo lleno de peligros ...

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:36 pm

Yeah, I watched it on KRM too. But on the photo it's RED. Odd.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:02 am

The photo is also of such bad quality.

-scott
KARR Engineer wrote:Yeah, I watched it on KRM too. But on the photo it's RED. Odd.

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:34 pm

No the scanner is amber. The photo looks like someone took
a really crappy digital camera and took a photo of it off the TV.

Tony

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:01 pm

Amber? To speak the truth, it is yellow to match the voice modulator. Amber can be classified as orange, and KARR's scanner is definetely not orange.

K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R
Volunteer

Post by K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:07 pm

I've watched K.I.T.T vs. K.A.R.R many times. I actually finished watching it 10 minutes ago!!!!! K.A.R.R's scanner is definitely orange, and his voice modulator is lime green.

K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R
Volunteer

Post by K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:09 pm

I've watched K.I.T.T vs. K.A.R.R many times. I actually finished watching it 10 minutes ago!!!!! K.A.R.R's scanner is definitely orange, and his voice modulator is lime green.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:24 pm

You must be kidding. Maybe I'm just not recognizing the sarcasm. I have the episode on tape, the voice modulator and scanner are YELLOW. I don't see how anyone can confuse this, aside from that crappy picture?

Some K.A.R.R. REPLICAS actually have amber scanners. The scanners are made in that color, I've seen them on the Knight Registries site. But not the one in "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R." So we've gone from red, to amber, to orange, to lime green....why not purple too? :lol:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:26 pm

By the time this thread is done we'll have a rainbow.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:30 pm

Lost Knight: :lol: KITT-X has different color lenses for scanners, actually. :)

I have the book "Trust Doesn't Rust" and it says in the book that KARR's scanner is red. And in the series, KITT does say that KARR looked "exactly" like him, that he could've been his twin. The car in the picture on the site might have been from TDR and not KVK, actually. In KVK, KARR wanted to change his appearance, and thus got a two-tone look and an amber scanner. Don't remember how though. Unless this was yet another famous blooper in the show. :)

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:05 pm

That picture was from KITT vs. KARR, not Trust Doesn't Rust. The scene in this picture takes place when John is leaving the hospital just after Eddie had his heart attack. In TDR, KARR did have a red scanner and a yellow voice modulator, but it did look like it could have been a yellow-green, but that's most likely just the film and/or your television setiings. Same with KvK, KARR did have a yellow scanner and voice box from the get-go in the episode. Why the color of the scanner chnaged from red to yellow between TDR and KvK has always been a huge fan nitpick but the most widely accepted theory is that the exposure to the sun over the 2 years he had been in the sand bleached the lens on the scanner (This happens often with red dyes after long exposure in the sun). And yes, KARR did get a chnage in paint later during the episode KvK but for about the first half of it, KARR was all black.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:14 pm

The picture on that site is from "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R.," as proof, John Stanton is in the shot. Yes, in "Trust Doesn't Rust," K.A.R.R.'s scanner is red and his voice modulator is yellow as we all know. A continuity error occurs by the time KVK aired being that when K.A.R.R. was pulled out of the sand, his scanner was yellow and he had a licence plate. The producers clearly decided to tweak K.A.R.R. a little bit, and also changed his voice and personality from the actor Peter Cullen in TDR to Paul Frees in KVK. The reason for that was the producers wanted a more "sinister" voice and personality.

They made these changes with no explanation and the impression that I get was that they figured no one would notice or remember. The same way they introduced and got rid of April with no explanation or even a mention. In KVK, the only modification that K.A.R.R. had done to himself was the two-tone paint job.

On the tape I have of this episode, it just goes from one shot to the next with K.A.R.R.'s new paint job with no explanation. Possibly a cut scene since it was taped from USA Network. In The Knight Rider Legacy book, it says that K.A.R.R. asks John for the paint job in the garage which is how I know of it. Does anybody know if that scene was in the script for the episode or wasn't filmed or cut?

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:02 pm

Lost Knight--That was a cut scene from KvK and can be seen in the original NBC uncut broadcast of the episode. If/When we get Season 3 on DVD, that scene should be included in the episode.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:47 pm

Cool, thanks. That spawns another question...how does K.A.R.R. get painted if he has the Molecular Bonded Shell? :?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 pm

Good question, Lost Knight.

I didn't realize that picture was from KvK. I assumed if it was black with red scanner it was TDR. I stand corrected but don't know why the photo shows a red scanner then.

Someone's TV settings off? ;)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:50 pm

It's just crappy VHS quality either from the tape being old, or the picture from the old tape being posted on the computer or both.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:23 pm

Just to go off topic for a bit . . . could that elongated URL in the first message be
changed to a shor text link. This excessive horizontal scrollng is doin' my 'ead in!

Thank you kindly . . .

knightad
Volunteer

Post by knightad » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:28 pm

To go a bit further off topic, click on the "Get lame Knight Rider stuff" link at the bottom of the page, and you end up at Amazon. Scroll down and just past the Tshirt and book links, you see a video featuring "Knight Sting" and "Knight Knowledge." This was an unfamiliar title to me, thought it was a behind-the-scenes affair. Going by the dates with it though, this is "Sky Knight" by another name! Anyone else aware of this?

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:27 pm

to a previous topic, patricia mentioned a previous letter
campaign that "worked"...what was she referring to?
i wondered if it was when they replaced her on the show
but wasnt sure...

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:06 pm

Ok so the next time one of us Fans happens to run into David H or Glen Larson (don't know if they still go to cons or not) Ask them as they probally would know...maybe.

Most of the pics I have ever seen in the first episode TDR, KARR is IDENTICAL to KITT in every way except for personality and programing.

As for the distinction between Yellow / Amber / Orange.... TV colors very greatly, just go to your local dept store and look at the TV wall in the elctronics dept.
In KVK KARR is two tone Black and Grey / White (which I think made him look snazzy) and has the Yellow / Amber / Orange Scanner/ voice modulator. Guess we will have to wait for that episodes to come out on DVD to be sure ;)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:41 pm

I hate to admit it, but I think K.A.R.R. looks better than K.I.T.T. The two-tone to me looks more appealing than the basic black. But that's just my opinion.

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:44 pm

I think the two tone makes KARR look a lil more sinister than the basic black for some reason

But i also think that KARR's voicebox was better than either of kitts versions.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:06 pm

The yellow/amber debate will continue for years I think. ;)

On my TV, it definately looks amber in some shots - especially the night ones.

But when Davilex requested specs on KARR from Universal, they were specifically told his scanner is yellow. So there you go.

The common consensus is that indeed, his scanner was changed due to salt water washing out the red.

The number plate is also easily explained. KARR had a license plate changer, just like KITT. ;)

As for the paint job deleted scene, see here for more info:

http://knightrideronline.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3811

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:54 pm

Sith, if karr had a license plate changer, he would have changed his license plate displaying KARR in TDR, don't you think?
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;