Hasselhoff on the Radio - Movie News!!!

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Hasselhoff on the Radio - Movie News!!!

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:48 am

David Hasselhoff was interviewed at length about his career on the Jonno & Harriet Breakfast Show on London's Heart 106.2 station.

Interesting stories included how a five year old boy in London asked him "Are you Knight Rider?" David couldn't believe it, this child shouldn't even know who he is, but the boy told him the programme airs every day on Bravo (he told the same story on "Loose Women" on Monday). Apparently all around the world it's ten-to-one that he's recognised for Knight Rider. He also believed that the K.I.T.T. car that was sold on eBay was "not the real deal."

But the big news:

"Definitely doing another Knight Rider, we're working on the movie right now. We had a big deal with a big studio but they wanted to kind of turn it into a farce like Starsky and Hutch and I said no. Starsky and Hutch and Knight Rider are different. Knight Rider has such a major following. You cannot turn your fame back on the fans because guys will riot, I mean this is stuff that people grew up with. And so I want to bring a bit of a cool new Knight Rider in with a new car but also at the end Michael Knight comes in with the old K.I.T.T. and saves the day."

When asked if his role would be a cameo as opposed to starring in it, Hasselhoff replied: "I'm probably going to be taking over the Devon character, and have my son be like the Knight Rider. I mean, I can't go anywhere, anywhere in the world, it really is ten-to-one Knight Rider! It's just all Knight Rider. Baywatch was huge and still is the one that eleven years, worldwide, but Knight Rider was the one that really affected people because they were kids that grew up with it."

Casting:

"We haven't really pursued it, my kids keep saying 'Dad, Orlando Bloom! He's so cute! Orlando Bloom!' They just want to meet him, you know. I was thinking more like Colin Hanks, I just got done working with Tom Hanks' son, he's kind of a Tobey Maguire-type. I like to have something like that, play against type."

I'm going to turn out a few sound clips in a few days. I'll keep you posted.

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:15 pm

Wow, Colin Hanks.... That's a very interesting choice, I could get behind that.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:56 pm

Colin Hanks and Maguire are "geeky" looking though. Not sure. But it's Hasselhoff's choice.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:09 pm

Me too! But truthfully, if David chooses the actor himself, I’ll be behind his decision all the way, no matter who the actor is.
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:15 pm

Again dissapointed about the news ... It's been a rumour for a while now, but I really hoped that David would drive the old KITT in the new movie.
Whatever they may say, KITT is still not outdated, and David is older indeed, but he still has a nice body as far as I can see.
Thanks for the news anyway :)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:19 pm

Hanks sort of looks like a geeky version of Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko, Day After Tomorrow). If he put on a bit of weight and they fixed his hair he might be able to pull it off. He was surprisingly good in Orange County (a minor film), which showed he had good comedic timing. Even if the movie is primarily an action-adventure film, I think it will need a certain sense of humor to it, just as the series had.

Jake wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Oh, and regarding the old KITT saving the day... I'm not sure what he has in mind but that sounds like a bad idea to me. It just seems too forced. KITT himself was concerned about looking outdated after just 3 years (Knight of the Juggernaut.) How do you think he'd feel after 25 years?! I still say give the old Trans Am a quick cameo at most, but stick with a new car.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:56 pm

just remember if they casting his son he CANT look like hasselhoff as i guess plastic reconstructive surgery is NOT genetic, so the kid would look more like he did as michael long LOL
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:00 pm

Colin Hanks? Okay, I can see that.. but he seems a little to geeky and not broading Hero that Hasselhoff gave off. I was also going to comment on him being too short, but his IMDB bio states 6'1 to Hoffs 6'4" so nevermind...

I just kinda wish that Hasselhoff would get over the replacement is his Son idea. I don't think it's needed and will just create more work than it sloves. Why can't the kid be a young loner like he was, that he takes under his wing?

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:05 pm

I can't really figure out why most of the people over here want to see a new KITT.
I liked the "old" one just they way it was!

My view on the movie: make it the old KITT, put David behind the wheel, mix in the same humour as before, and it will be a hit!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:21 pm

I have a question. He about Michael Knight and the old KITT coming to save a day. Which sounds cool. But...those that mean the new car won't be KITT? Like, with William Daniels and stuff. I figured it would be a new car but it would still be KITT (it would have to be a black car of couse, curse you Knight Rider 2000). But, if the "old KITT" still exists...then the new car will be completely new...and probably with a girls voice *groan*

Speaking of Knight Rider 2000, I wholeheartedly hope that they disregard that as part of the story line, really.

KI2000, we'd all like your plan. the problem is-it would be hard to get a hold of enough 80s Trans Ams. I mean...there is computer generation now, but still. And if they want other people to be interested, they'd probably want a new car. Which is why I wanna shoot Pontiac for discontinuing the Firebird...losers
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:30 pm

Ok then ... I can imagine that it would be hard to get enough trans ams, or firebirds for that, but still, it should be possible to make the same KITT but based on another car. I mean, same jokes, same voice, things like that. And they should also put David behind the wheel. I mean, that's not too hard, is it?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:39 pm

There are dozens if not hundreds of KITT replicas out there. If fans can find old Trans Ams to build replicas in their own back yard, a giant movie studio should have no problem finding 5 or 10 or 50 Trans Ams to turn into KITTs if they wanted to.

Personally, I hope they don't. I think the healthiest thing for the franchise is to move forward with a new car. Remember, they have to appeal to a new generation as well as the old one.

KI2000
Rookie

Post by KI2000 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:42 pm

Personnaly, I think that the new generation also likes the old KITT. David told about a 5 year old asking him if he was the Knight Rider. So my guess is that younger people also like the show as it is.

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:16 pm

I kinda of myself would like to see the 82 Transam.Because the show was a hit with that car.And i'm picturing the wheels and hubcars on the wheels of a 02 Transam.Nahhh that's looks kinda of ugly with the 80's Knight Rider rims.They would look better with the 82 Transam.And there are lot and lots of 80's Transams left in this world even replica's.I even see a new 3rd gen Transam or FireBird for sell on ebaymotors.So the people making the movie can still make the car of the 80's Transam can still work out.I'm not to crazy about the idea about david being devon.Because they should just get another old man that looked like devon to play the act.David should still be Michael Knight too me.That's my opinions.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:47 pm

I think the only way to keep KITT in his old form is to make the movie be a retelling much like a Starsky and Hutch, but then you wouldn't have Hasselhoff which wouldn't fly for me. Also like it has been said, that's not the right route for Knight Rider.

If the movie is taking place in the present or the future, it needs to be in a new car. Like Mike said, I don't think KITT would be happy in a 25 year old (by the time it comes out) body, he'd hardly be state of the art.

As long as they keep it Black... Any word if they are bringing back the F line on Pontiac? I thought they took it off and were going to bring it back at some point? Would be a great way to reintroduce it, much like the new GTO.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:33 pm

I don't have a problem with K.I.T.T. still being the old '82 Trans Am. Sure, he was insecure about his appearance in "Juggernaut", but for the continuity of Knight Rider, it would be best to reintroduce him as we last saw him before updating him to another car.

I'm with neps about the "son" idea. I think it's a bit too soap opera for Knight Rider. Better to go with a kid Michael meets and teaches that One Man Can Make a Difference -- like RC3 in the fourth season. Maybe they failed with RC, that could make for interesting drama. I like the idea of keeping Michael around as Devon's replacement (NOT as the character Devon, just to clear that up). I think that would be the logical progression for the character -- still trying to make a difference just as Devon did.

I'm sure that whoever the new Knight Rider is, the car he will drive off into the sunset will be "K.I.T.T." I'm betting the story will see K.I.T.T. transplanted into the new vehicle just as in KR2000.

This new radio interview fascinated me -- it's the first time I've heard Hasselhoff talking about the proposed movie at length, and it really gave an insight into how passionate he is about the project, and the directions he wants to take. I have a lot of faith in him.

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:09 pm

Hey, there's nothing wrong with "old". Hell, he could have been kept updated and with the MBS he's indestructable and don't rust anyway. I would rather see the old KITT T/A.

I think Pontiac should be much more cooperative and for the movie make some KITTs - with the KITT nose (not the old '82 firebird nose that was stock T/A) and stuff, and then at the release of the movie Pontiac could do a double-promo where they could promote the "new 2005 Firebird" with modified KR nose, and the car would do stunts like the latest Pontiac stunt commerial, but who comes out of the car at the end of the commercial but Micheal Knight's son! :)

Pontiac would make TONS of money on that car especially after people see the movie!

Why couldn't they?? :roll:

jeffedmondson
Stranger

Post by jeffedmondson » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:40 pm

Couldn't they start off with the '82 trans am, and Kitt gets into some sort of accident, and have to replace the body of the car and appeal to the new generation as well? But Kitt still being the voice, much like Knight Rider 2000?

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:25 am

Colin Hanks or Toby McGuire - a hole hell of alot better then anything that has been previously mentioned - and by far better than Ben Afflect. But thats just my opinion. To each his/her own, :wink:

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:56 pm

I vote for the '82 Trans Am in the movie. if they had to have a new car, still make it black!!!!! To me, that just IS KITT!
And the voice of course. Only William Daniels.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:03 pm

OK, Just checks pics on Orlando Bloom and Colin Hanks.....cant say I think eithers *look* is right....
I guess for me, its only Hasselhoff
Josh Groban is pretty good looking....but can he act? Nah, he would never do it

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:21 am

We gotta face it; they need a new car. I don't care what they use as long as it's not ricey and not a Camaro. I just really hope they keep KITT's voice and personality. If they do that, I'll be happy.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:07 pm

Here is the first of several sound files of Hasselhoff's interview:

http://www.knightridermovie.com/news/colin.mp3

Thanks to Paul (Knight Rider Archive) for sending me the original clips.

KidlovingKitt
Recruit

Post by KidlovingKitt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:48 pm

KI2000 wrote:Again dissapointed about the news ... It's been a rumour for a while now, but I really hoped that David would drive the old KITT in the new movie.
Whatever they may say, KITT is still not outdated, and David is older indeed, but he still has a nice body as far as I can see.
Thanks for the news anyway :)
I agree to you totaly,old Kitt with David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight,it would be fantastic!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:48 pm

Well now I'm a little confused. The new Knight Rider, whether it be his son or a new recruit, you people are saying that his car would have to be K.I.T.T. (the computer, whether or not its the old Trans Am)

But Hasselhoff says in the interview that Michael would come in in the old KITT and "save the day." So...that would mean that the new driver would have a new car. Because having two KITTs would just be confusing. IF that were the case, that would make total sense to me, but I hope that KITT has a larger role than jumping in (literally, lol) in the final scene. So I don't know, it'll be a tough movie - storywise. Hasselhoff has a lot of pressure here. But he really really did LOVE the show, which is rare for actors. So, i trust he can do it right, especially if Larsen works with him.

Wonder what the new car would be (provided my scenerio is what happened)? Knowing Hollywood, I would not be at all surprised if the car had a woman's voice. *groan* Not that I'm trying to be sexist or anything, but that puts a whole new spin on the close relationship thing. KITT and Michael beign gay was stupid enough. (and it was pretty damn stupid, lol)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"