Knight Rider Season 1 on DVD - Out Now! *DISCUSS HERE*

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:46 pm

Can you watch Knight of the Phoenix without the commentary as well or not?
Yes, you can.
Commentary on Knight of the phoenix.Man was I laughing.I thought Glen was going to walk out on a ridiculously annoying David.Man He was gonna slug him
I kinda felt this way too at the beginning, but then after awhile I thought that it wasn't annoyance but a sarcastic banter, one that you wouldn't do unless you cared for the other person.
Then I went to the manual I found really stupid.Its a rip off of the pic from the site with the play with kitts dash.
Well the dash on the DVD is actually used with permission the artwork from Juha Terho (http://www.iki.fi/jterho/drawings/kitt/) whos been making dash illustrations for a number of years. I do agree that the manual could have been done more interestingly.. but then I think that the majority of us here have a well informed knowledge about Knight Rider and KITT. This feature is very informative and well put together for those who don't have the level of KR knowledge that most of us do.

Did anyone watch all of the episodes straight through in one sitting? The most I did was 5, I had to get up after that.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:53 pm

neps wrote:
Yes, you can.
How?
Commentary on Knight of the phoenix.Man was I laughing.I thought Glen was going to walk out on a ridiculously annoying David.Man He was gonna slug him
He was quite...how shall we say...full of himself
neps wrote:Did anyone watch all of the episodes straight through in one sitting? The most I did was 5, I had to get up after that.
I JUST got it, all I've seen is the commentary
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:28 pm

cloudkitt wrote:
neps wrote:
Yes, you can.
How?
Are you saying you can't watch the episode without the commentary? It should be without it by default. If not there should be a button on your DVD remote labeled "Audio" that you can press to select the alternate audio track.

steven
Stranger

commentary for river of phonix

Post by steven » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:41 pm

I watched the entire pilot with commentary enabled. Listening to david h. was really cool throughout the show. I hope he does make a movie. Also I will write universal for future season episodes. The quality of these dvds are the best. Well as for the features they are great.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:59 pm

Gee, Knight Racer, you really dont like David Hasselhoff, do you?
You thought he was annoying on the DVD set?
I just dont get how you can love Knight Rider and hate the main character...
I guess KITT is your fave?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:41 pm

As soon as I can get some pay from my current job, I think I'll shop at the local Circuit City to get mine. Seems like the lowest price I've seen so far. Of course, that can change if a better price comes along. :)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:54 pm

oppenca2, I liked the commentary, I really did, it was interesting, and I loved how he kept mentioning the movie. But he was pretty annoying at times. He's just stuck on himself. "I look good in red" "Look at that hair?" "Should I grow my hair like that?" "I keep getting better at acting here." It's just the way he is, and it's a little bothersome. He took a crack and the writing, although Larsen wrote it, and he's sitting right there!

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:08 am

As soon as the store near me opens up I will be buying season one today. I can hardly wait to watch the entire season. I am just wondering how many episodes there are in total. I geuss I'll be finding that out at around 10:00 this morning Manitoba time. I am just so excited!!! :dance:

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:00 am

KAIN, I guess you have to think about which you want more, The Game or the DVD's. or Wait till birthday, or theres always Xmas. :twisted:

( Whisper.. DVD's Go for the DVD's..... hehehehehe) :lol:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:42 am

Whet, I'll be honest, I really only use playusa and play.com for my dvd's now, I just don't buy R1 boxsets from their site.

But I've known about this site: http://www.dvdconcept.com/ for a while now and am planning to use it.

KR set is 29.99 there. now i'm kicking myself for not thinking about this site at the time I put my bid down for the set on ebay which came to 39.50 in total. :S

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:13 pm

oppenca2 wrote:Gee, Knight Racer, you really dont like David Hasselhoff, do you?
I love the show,loved all the main characters.But Its the same thing every time you see your favorite actor on a talk show or beeing interviewed where they talk and since writers don't talk for them in that situation,they come out to be boring or abnoxious.Same thing happened with Kevin Surbo.I saw him and I couldnt believe how he acted.Then again we're all human so we can be who we are not some perfect beeing.

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:23 pm

Wow. Sounds really great. Haven't got mine in the mail yet, and don't know when it's going to be shipped because I'm a little afraid to ask *twitch* I guess I can wait. 8)
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:03 pm

I shipped it yesterday, hopefully you should have it tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, had to get it from the sponsor before I could forward it to you! ;)

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:57 pm

Thank you neps :D *hugs for neps*
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:21 pm

Thank's agian Skav.

I will try that site in future.

It can't go any worse than this recent pantamine!

finalfadeout
Recruit

Post by finalfadeout » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:29 pm

While the DVD set itself is awesome, I was a little disappointed at times with the commentary, though they were funny at some points...They gave few insights into what was happening in the episode, why certain dialogue or writing was used, how/why the scene was filmed, technical details, trivia, etc...I was surprised David didn't know anything about Larry Anderson, who played Michael Long and later was known as a magician. In fact, they didn't seem to remember a lot of things that went on with the episode, things that even I was aware of, and while its been 22 yrs, I still think that since they made it, they should be the experts. It looked like some basics of knight rider seemed foreign and new again to them at times, and they were reminded of certain things while watching that I would have thought they would already be aware of. I hope they do a little more research and keep the series in mind when doing the movie, because they appeared a little out of the loop at times. David also pointed out only a few things of note, such as the switching gunshot wound and a ramp used for a stunt. He did at least point out a few title shots and say "That's classic knight rider action there!", but rarely elaborated with any detail.

But they did call just about every actor a "great guy, oh one of the best actors, terrific"....Cmon, every one of them?? I'm sure at least one of them was a little rude or performed not quite as well as they wanted. Hard to believe they were all Laurence Oliviers and saints!

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:35 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
oppenca2 wrote:Gee, Knight Racer, you really dont like David Hasselhoff, do you?
I love the show,loved all the main characters.But Its the same thing every time you see your favorite actor on a talk show or beeing interviewed where they talk and since writers don't talk for them in that situation,they come out to be boring or abnoxious.Same thing happened with Kevin Surbo.I saw him and I couldnt believe how he acted.Then again we're all human so we can be who we are not some perfect beeing.
Ok, Now that you mention it, I DO SEE your point!! :) :) I just watched the interview of him on the BBC. I guess who I really like is "Michael Knight" and he is fictionary. Ya, its hard when you see that the characters are just human, and of course he wants to pitch his stuff...thanks for putting it into perspective for me. I love this website!!

K.I.A.N
Rookie

Post by K.I.A.N » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:50 pm

[quote="82TransAm"]KAIN, I guess you have to think about which you want more, The Game or the DVD's. or Wait till birthday, or theres always Xmas. :twisted:

( Whisper.. DVD's Go for the DVD's..... hehehehehe) :lol:[/quote]

my birthday is 2 days after Xmas so until then Im ether going to have to bug my parents to get it or hope I get more then 2 dollers A week.
Fan Of The New Knight Rider!

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:08 pm

You can make a deal with your parents. Tell them to buy it for you and you will pay them back with the allowance you get. Or ask for an advance. You can also try to earn the money.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:00 pm

82TransAm wrote:WOW the quality is really good. Although I do not know if it is my DVD player or what, I did notice some audio skipping on the 2nd and 3rd episodes. Not a big deal, and it was only like less than 1 second, but I happened to notice it. The previews before the show are very cool. The Commentary by Glen and David is awesome!!! Never put the fact that the electric guy in KotP was Boomer from BSG toghether.

Overall although I have only watched the first side of disc 1, I am impressed.
I noticed a sound skip myself it also skips the video with the audio skip.I think this is a matter we must all discuss.Where is there a malfunction on everyones dvd's?Also I found soemthing else.As I'm typing my friend who I'm making watch Final verdict,noticed a black dark spot in the middle of the screen during the chase scenes towards the end of the episode where the end of episode action takes place.

Another spot is where the turbo boost scene and he goes over a empty truck or something.Its a dark smudge smack dab in the center.

Anyone else spot some glitches or soemthing simaler please post it here.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:50 pm

i haven't noticed any glitches but i haven't watched a whole lot of it yet. But the quality overall is incredible. I was brush "DVD quality" aside, never thinking much of it-it really is amazing

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:36 pm

I really love the whole entire set. I can't wait for the second season. I personally dont like box sets. I put each disc in their own dvd jewel case.

Using the wonders of todays computer imaging software (ok is was nothing but easy stuff) I also created custom inserts using the art from the dvd box set. Take a look tell me what you think. Click on them to see full version and to save them to your computer.

To print these to fit a typical dvd jewel case i printed them out rotated 90 degress and at a height of 10.77" and the width of 7.24 " . Hope you like them
Last edited by hot_knight on Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:37 am

I got my copy and LOVE it. Yes you can watch the pilot with out commentary on - I did. The quality is fantastic. Can't wait to get the rest of the seasons as well as other dvd sets and movies. YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAWWW. Was able to pick up a dvd player on thursday -paid half down and have on next payday. I am just so happy now. :D

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:45 am

Hot Knight - do you think that you could print up a set of those covers for me. I would really appreciate that. If so - let me know the cost and I will send you an email so that you can mail tham to me. I myself love boxsets but the work that you showed is just awsome. So please let me know either by pm or by email if you would be willing to print them up and send me a set O.K? Thanks and have a good day.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:33 am

Well, my set arrived today and I've watched the extras on disc 4, bar Knight Rider 2000 and am watching the pilot now.

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

The extras such as 'Knight under the Hood' is full of interesting trivia, especially the anecdotes from Hasselhoff. He does come off as slightly cheesy, especially when he goes on about the script being gold in his hands, the first time he read it.

The rest of the extras are a bit flimsy and thin but I did find the plans in the Blueprint Gallery interesting but it was too quick.

Photo gallery had some interesting pics, none too great though.

The dashboard feature was well laid out but navigation is a bit confusing sometimes.

As for the pic quality in the pilot...I immediately noticed the superiority in the opening credits over the R2 discs....GREAT STUFF!!!!

Colours really hit out at you...check out Lonnie's orange(or is it light red?) dress when she walks out of the bar to meet Michael after he has the beer thrown at him.

Every scene in terms of pic quality is nothing short of greatness...and I've not even got through the pilot yet. :D

Sound is superb...I swear it is stereo...it's very strong for a mono soundtrack....the famous theme really hits out at you, very heavily.

Make sure you turn up the sub!!

Love the menu's and the little KITT icons too...knew I was in for a treat as soon as I looked at them.

We even get episode summaries...wasn't necessary but I felt it was a welcome addition and really seals everything.

All in all, a great set and I've got a hell of a lot more to go...plus the extras on the other discs.

Well done Universal.....20/10!! :)

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;