Knight Rider Season 1 on DVD - Out Now! *DISCUSS HERE*

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider Season 1 on DVD - Out Now! *DISCUSS HERE*

Post by Sith » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:21 am

In case you are new here, or haven't visited in sometime, the Season 1 DVD boxset is now available in America. (Region 1)

Be sure to pick up a copy if you can afford it, and help sales reach a level that will warrant us a Season 2 set. :D

Please post your thoughts here, to avoid us having multiple threads filling up the board with people's thoughts on the set. ;)

And if you want to help bring Season 2 forward, remember to sign the Knight Rider DVD Petition - and get all your friends signing too. 8)
Last edited by Sith on Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:22 am

Okay, I'll go first:

What did everybody think about the reformatting? I noticed that Universal cropped a lot of shots in the later episodes of the season set, removing the camera mounts from the doors, and other nit-picky items (the trail from the camera rig in Knight Moves). See my review for more details:

http://members.fortunecity.com/knightri ... eason1.htm

I'd be interested to know what everybody thought. I thought, apart from this, it was an amazing set! I can't wait for Season 2!!!

- Paul
- Knight Rider Archive
- http://members.fortunecity.com/knightriders/

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:25 am

I just want to know where everyone is buying there dvd.
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:57 am

Well I ordered mine from playusa.

they posted it last wed 28 july!

I am still waiting for the post to put it from my door :cry:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:13 am

Good call there Paul and a great review. It doesn't bother me particularly... I'm a purist at heart when it comes to cropping movies from their original aspect ratios to fit a TV screen, so usually I'm pretty up in arms when it comes to modifying the original directors vision. But these seem to be corrections, not modifications, things you were never supposed to see and could potentially take away from ones viewing experience, breaking the fourth wall more or less.

These may have even been things they knew of in the past, but technological limitations may have prevented them from correcting it as easily as they can now. They didn't goto extremes like correcting Michael's moving gun shot wound in the Pilot (:D)... That would have been a bit much.

R.J.1984
Operative

Post by R.J.1984 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:42 am

I'll be getting my copy of it this thursday when I get paid. I can hardly wait!!! :D Then once I have my copy I will be moving my car to a pontiac dealership where it will sit until I can afford to fix it up and put it on the road. I am just so happy now.

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:25 pm

YES!!!!! I got mine at Media Play for $39.99

Cannot wait to get home from work today and watch it.

Jonathan
Recruit

Post by Jonathan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:33 pm

Well I'm gonna get it.... Never because I live in France
AHAHAHAHA

I hate you :@ :'(

beatle64
Recruit

Post by beatle64 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:18 pm

Got it, love it and happy about it.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:55 pm

Haha, I just got my set today for $33.99 at Sam's Club. Oh boy, the set is awesome. Lets hope Universal releases season two!!

TimmyZ1
Volunteer

Post by TimmyZ1 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:48 pm

I got mine at Best Buy and am very happy. I was pausing the show and flipping back and forth between that and the KR marathon on Sci-Fi and was amazed at the quality of the DVD. The episodes I saw during the marathon looked old and washed out. I am amazed at how everything came out. BTW anyone notice the Comtron truck in trust doesn't rust? I really happy and can't wait until season 2 comes out

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:55 pm

I ordered it from Amazon the day I knew I didn't win it-I dunno when it'll be here...
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:47 am

Ah yea I got mine, stayed up extra late, I just hope we can get the rest of the seasons out there. Its great I give it a 10 out of 10. ALSO DO WE KNOW IF THEY WILL BE DOING PROMO'S ON TV AT ALL? This is a must in order to get people to buy it.
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:27 am

Finally got the DVD today in the mail from Amazon.. I'm staying in Singapore and I got it on the day of the US release date. I preordered from them on the 27th of July and was really surprised that I got it today... Really good efficient service from them...

Just watched a few episodes today and I must say the quality of the pictures and sounds in each episodes are great... But the downside for me are the double sided discs (discs 1, 2 and 3). Other than that, bring on season 2!!!! :D

82TransAm
Recruit

Post by 82TransAm » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:52 am

WOW the quality is really good. Although I do not know if it is my DVD player or what, I did notice some audio skipping on the 2nd and 3rd episodes. Not a big deal, and it was only like less than 1 second, but I happened to notice it. The previews before the show are very cool. The Commentary by Glen and David is awesome!!! Never put the fact that the electric guy in KotP was Boomer from BSG toghether.

Overall although I have only watched the first side of disc 1, I am impressed.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:22 am

I still have not got mine :(

It was posted a week ago.

It looks like I might not get it at all.

I have had trouble geting another usa dvd lately 3 weeks and that has not come.

Playusa are sending a replacemnet for that one, but I think I am going to be lucky if I get that either the way things are going!

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:28 am

Those of you that have the set, tell us what you think to the extra features. :) For example, how informative are the featurettes?

I'm sure your opinions are of interest to others who are still deciding whether to purchase the set.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:59 am

whet, don't worry, i've had the same delay problem with them before. they can take up to 3-4 weeks for delivery.

then you better hope you don't have to pay custom charges once you get the set because their packaging isn't exactly discreet with PLAYUSA.COM written all over it.

I ordered one box set from them before and it'll be my last.

btw, never noticed the camera mounts and other things in the episodes...not sure how these got past me??

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:05 am

I had a little problem with getting my set when it came out.I was at work all day thinking I get out at 6pm by the time I get there there should be one or two left.Then I remembered all my friends saying how Hasslehoffs acting stinks.The car is disgustingly ugly and bad looking so I figured if most of the people I grew up with think the same way as all the other people,I have a chance of seeing like 10 there.I asked Best Buy how many came in they said 35 over the phone.During the middle of the day I asked How many left.They said about 15.I figured By the time I get there there should be 1 or 2.I finally get off the bus there 2 long blocks its about 7 pm. Im running throughout the parking lot and pray they have one copy left.I counted 14 left.I got it and got home A.S.A.P.

Heres what I think of the special features.I immediately went to bonus features on the disk.After seeing kr2000 pretending its the new kr movie.Michael seeing Devon for the first time was awesome in dvd form.Then I went to the manual I found really stupid.Its a rip off of the pic from the site with the play with kitts dash.Except his you can play with.It was kind of informative but I felt it would have been better to see the booklet Michael was holding in the beginning of Slammin SUPER Sammys stunt show spectacular.That would have been cool.Unless they showed the stupid Blueprint.If I see it one more time I'll have it memorized.

The picture Gallery was really nice.Not as boring as I thought.Commentary on Knight of the phoenix.Man was I laughing.I thought Glen was going to walk out on a ridiculously annoying David.Man He was gonna slug him.Thats the beginning of it it was going on and on.I kinda enjoyed it.Wanted to know what they were gonna say by "It looks like Darth Vadars bathroom."Most of the info was already known throughout the kr community.I knew about the picture cars the 12 cars used for kr.Car for turbo boosts.I even know David once recked a kitt so bad they took away driving privileges.He only did the basics after that.

All in all I love the quality of the video and the Knight Sounds was a little boring to me who cares about a synthesizer.Knight moves was just something to add on rated 3 in my book.I rate the whole collection anywhere from a 6-8.

Finally put a face to a profile when I saw who Joe Huth was.

Hope season 2 comes out with better features like maybe one hell of a great kr desktop theme,screen saver,Dvd special features like play with kitts dash the one on the site was really cool.Maybe even a small mini kr game would be really cool.Maybe a trivia game where you see turbo boost and other cool features of kitt like in Highlander Endgame.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:28 am

Thank's Skav.

Who is the most reliable for uk Delivery from the USA??

I am not to worried about who is the cheapiest as long as it's not a pain getting the thing.

It would be great for future refrence!

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:47 pm

Left the TV running as I was surfing and Access Hollywood comes on, giving me a chance to note that they give the release of the Season 1 KR DVD it's 30 seconds of mention. They said something along the lines of having a flash back to the 1980's with the Hasselhoff series as the opening season 1 credits rolled with the all-to-familiar theme playing in the background.

K.I.A.N
Rookie

Post by K.I.A.N » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:58 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH when I told my mom and dad that the DVD is around 30 to 40 dollars they said save up money and than get it thats I little hard to do when your saving up for a 45 dollar video game and only have 5 dollars and to make things worse I only get 2 dollars once a week for doing choirs d*** parents.
Fan Of The New Knight Rider!

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:01 pm

Bah - I wound up with two copies of season 1. I forgot I preordered it from deep discount DVD, and picked up a copy on the way home. Of course I get home, and see a box on the porch waiting for me.

D'oh!

Oh well, back to the store one copy goes.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:16 pm

One of the positive aspects of the knight rider bonus disk is the kr2000 movie.If you look realy closely at the dumpster where kitts parts are in you can see the actual dash used in season 4.I hate the round steering where and I can't make out the rest of the parts.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:13 pm

Can you watch Knight of the Phoenix without the commentary as well or not?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"