A nitpick i can counter

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

A nitpick i can counter

Post by Skav » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:03 pm

I don't understand what you mean.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

A nitpick i can counter

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:11 pm

The place where Devon turns KITT on, is a alphanumerical keypad. It, on occasion gets used for entering 'codes' to turn it on, or release smoke, or release oil before they got their own established buttons. In some cases, Michael presses one button. (Or Buddy did in the pilot.) Others, Michael presses multiple buttons.

So, the theory is, one button does the work, and the other buttons are just there for Michael to play with.

There went a cute little joke. *sigh*

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by Skav » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:38 pm

I got the joke, don't worry, lol.

I didn't understand cos i always thought codes that had to be entered, were always entered pressing multiple buttons. not just one, single button otherwise it is not a code.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

A nitpick i can counter

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:41 pm

Sorry, a code can still be a singular button, because a single button can encase larger amounts of information. Whose getting nitpicky now? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by Skav » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:06 pm

Are you sure?....are you really positive? I think I might like to ask the audience! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

A nitpick i can counter

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:11 pm

What are you talking about?

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:24 am

There goes another joke down the drain. I am sure UK residents know what I am on about.

Nah, nevermind.

Skav [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

SadArticle
Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by SadArticle » Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>Hang on, whoa, hey...stop there... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]....KITT didn't automatically jump through the ring of fire to save Michael. Remember, he still asked him to press the 'auto' button before he jumped so that he could save him.

I don't know why, but it's always bugged me as to why KITT just didn't switch mode himself. I know that it was probably the fact that he was programmed to ask for Michael's permission to switch modes and accomplish other tasks but it's also going against his dominant program if Michael were not to push that 'auto cruise' button and he were to die!

Skav [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think, taking this way too seriously, that you're right, Skav and KI. But was it maybe an intentional design flaw, incorporated because Wilton Knight was over-compensating for what happened with KARR? KARR was programmed to protect his own hide, to minimise damage to the vehicle. Too much power given to the CPU. The answer? Take the power away from the car, including basic decision making. Inflat-A-Driver gets to decide what buttons are pushed, and when, even when said driver's life is at risk (which is most times). Although there were times, and early on, when Kitt used his initiative - in 'The Final Verdict', Kitt drove into the warehouse yard, and Michael couldn't have asked him to because the comlink was broken. He went looking for his driver.

And I confused 'Slammin' Sammy's...' with 'Lost Knight', I think, Skav, where Kitt fires his own Turbo boost button (instead of waiting for Doug to figure out where it is).

Sarah

Skav
FLAG Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:34 pm

Hmm...i distinctly remember KITT begging Doug to press the turbo boost button since Doug was hesitating. is that the scene you mean? If not, then i don't remember another where kitt jumps out of his own accord.

Btw, I like your theory on the decision making controversy [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

A nitpick i can counter

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:12 pm

"Press turbo boost...press it." KARR in KITT Vs. KARR

KARR had the same design flaw. I think it is best defined in the Pilot however, is that as long as Michael was awake, he was in control, because Wilton wanted one man to make the difference not one car. He believed in the power of the human spirit.

And Skav, I don't think there is a conflict at all, we seem to agree on it, so therefore there is no conflict from my view.

knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:39 pm

It was the way KARR said that..he seemed to want to turn John into a bad guy. it was like KARR was getting pleasure out of it. i guess he learned it from 'trust doesnt rust' when he was hanging with the bad guys, as ive never truly believed KARR to be totally evil unless he hung with bad company. and in this case, he was using Tony and Rev's methods of turning people.

Mind you, you have a valid point, KI. KARR also asked John to press the turbo boost early in the episode when jumping over the truck.

I guess KARR still was programmed to let the driver to make the decisions.

Skav

SadArticle
Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by SadArticle » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>

I think it is best defined in the Pilot however, is that as long as Michael was awake, he was in control, ...

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Therein lies another debate: how does one ascertain whether or not Michael is awake? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Sarah

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: SadArticle ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

A nitpick i can counter

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:09 pm

That in itself is not that hard. An examination of the body's vital signs can indicate if somebody is conscious or not. If Michael is still responding even in incoherant mumble, he is obviously still awake. If his vital signs show that he is still active, rather than unconscious, then KITT would be able to tell that.

knightimmortal

SadArticle
Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by SadArticle » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>Hmm...i distinctly remember KITT begging Doug to press the turbo boost button since Doug was hesitating. is that the scene you mean? If not, then i don't remember another where kitt jumps out of his own accord.

Skav</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh durnit, you're right, once again. I plead ignorance in this case, from being denied access to the evidence - Catt still has my tape [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh, come on - I'm sure there's a scene where Kitt says 'Never mind, allow me', and activates something himself. The pilot?

Sarah

SadArticle
Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by SadArticle » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>That in itself is not that hard. An examination of the body's vital signs can indicate if somebody is conscious or not. If Michael is still responding even in incoherant mumble, he is obviously still awake. If his vital signs show that he is still active, rather than unconscious, then KITT would be able to tell that.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael: He plays a mean game of chess

KITT: You two played chess??

Michael: No, Kitt, it's an expression. Means the guy has ice in his veins

KITT: Oh dear, that does sound serious

Michael: No, Kitt ...

[img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Sarah

Skav
FLAG Operative

A nitpick i can counter

Post by Skav » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:15 pm

Sadarticle, it was only the door that kitt says 'allow me'. he only automatically opened the driver's door to let him in lol!

Skav