New KITT Suggestions

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What car to use in movie?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:05 pm

I suspect that they will keep the new car a bit of a "public secret".

The SPM car may not have been "officially" displayed until Juggernaut aired, but how many of us went through the teaser commercial frame-by-frame and had a pretty good idea what the car looked like?

Assuming that they will be releasing toy cars, T-shirts, etc. to coincide with the release of the movie, all of that merchandise will have to be designed, created, and distributed prior to the film. So the designs will get out. The trick for the marketing team is to let the car leak out a bit, but keep a few surprises for the film.

As for spoiling it on this board, I suspect that it will be discussed ad-nauseum before the movie. If you absolutely want everything to be a surprise when you walk into the theater, then realistically this is not going to be a safe place for you to visit.

Mike

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:08 pm

Wow. It must be important if Mike says it twice:P

Just kidding...

DK

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve:
<STRONG>

I am not trying to cause any arguments but people like Scott who may have met Ian last year and this year at the UK NAtionals will have seen parts from the KITT TV cars and pictures of them being wrecked after the show ended which will verefy what I have said.

Steve
KOE

Again sorry for the poor spelling...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unfortunatly i didnt get a chance to meet Ian at the nats this year [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] maybe he will be there next year, who knows. it would be cool to see the stuff he has.

as for the car debate, revolution studios need to do some serious thinking. some cars can do what KITT was supposed too in the original now, obviously not things like turbo boost and they cant talk. voice recognition is one thing but to be able to actually have a conversation with your car is entirely different. those two things work to our advantage, turbo boost and talking remains cool.

I mean, i saw a promo video for this thing called Smart Truck, it looked like a huge chevy blazer that could honestly of come from TKR, but its real, its for the US government and their little promo video was like watching an action film. its got guns, surveillence equipment, stun gas, grenade launcers, oil slick, caltrops, voice recognition the list goes on, and this thing is real.

but with everything you see in films now regarding technology, films like Mission Impossible 2 and the newer bond films, all gadgets like that would be really cool for this film.

scott

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:31 am

A trained derailed with several cars that either became destroyed or wrecked somewhat. The main load of cars that was being transported was the Pontiac TA. The cheap price of the wrecked cars was part of the reason it was chosen. Several cars were considered before the train incident and one consideration was the TA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slickbrit:
<STRONG>I think the major factor to take into account is why a Trans-Am was originally used. Was it because
a) they wanted to promote that car
b) that was the "in" car of the day or
c) it just happened to be the best available car to meet their criteria.
If it was picked for either of the first two reasons, your not gonna see them use a Trans-Am in the new movie. The producers are bound to look at modern day cars and decide which one they like the best, or even look into futuristic cars - it would be pretty cool if they approached a manufacturer with the idea of designing a car specifically for the part. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Kxx</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:03 am

Maybe other cars were considered by NBC, but not by Glen Larson, who seemingly always wanted KITT to be a Trans-Am.

knightimmortal

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:14 am

i know its not something we need worry about for a ***LONG*** time, its really only when plot points get out, or the car design ya know? i'm sure you can see my point, we don't want to hear the story or parts of its final script until we can see it, why spoil it for ourselves, and if universal try to keep the design under wraps of the new car, then its obviously gonna be meant as a surprise during the movie and its gonna be a huge part of the enjoyment of the film. these are really the only things i'm worrying about in the far future, as i know there are people in the world who just love to find out everything they can about a film before they see it, and they end up not enjoying it as it was meant to be enjoyed and thus they don't appreciate/enjoy it as much as the rest of us. i like the idea about a "spoiler" tag, but i pity the person responsible for giving the threads that tag as it means they'll have the movie spoilt for them.

i know there's no solution, when it comes to the time near to the US release we'll just have to be careful of any troublesome people who try to come here and spoil it for us.

when it gets released in the states it will probably take about a month or two before it gets released here, as is usually the case (unless its a british film or a bond movie - which are british movies funded with mgm money at the end of the day, both of which get released here first) i'll probably find myself avoiding this forum until i see it myself! lol!

ManWhoDoesNotExsist
Volunteer

Post by ManWhoDoesNotExsist » Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:05 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by knightimmortal:
[QB]

Ok, first of all, what are you talking about with the Star Trek series? None have failed.

er actually the original star trek series (with Spock and co) had a different captain in the pilot Capt Pike, and i think they did a second pilot with Kirk, so he was kinda right in what he was saying, not actually referring to the franchise which followed...

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ManWhoDoesNotExsist:
<STRONG>[QUOTE]Originally posted by knightimmortal:
[QB]

Ok, first of all, what are you talking about with the Star Trek series? None have failed.

er actually the original star trek series (with Spock and co) had a different captain in the pilot Capt Pike, and i think they did a second pilot with Kirk, so he was kinda right in what he was saying, not actually referring to the franchise which followed...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wasn't failiure, that was restructuring. They weren't cancelled, they were a fan favorite all along.

knightimmortal

Zarate
Volunteer

Post by Zarate » Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:12 am

if they keep it a secret than i can already imagine the teaser trailer that would be a horrible tease...scanner light in the dark engine roaring and whatnot

Kind of liek the dumb t3 teaser hopefully done a hell of alot better

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>

That wasn't failiure, that was restructuring. They weren't cancelled, they were a fan favorite all along.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh...but, that's not true. The original series was always bordering on failure. It was just the fan base that blasted it into galactic proportions. Also, the original Trek movie was based on a failed TV series that was suppose to launch a network. (Much like Voyager did for UPN.) I think the network itself failed to come together. Then, there is the one Trek series that flopped so badly that most fans have no idea it even existed...Star Trek: The Cartoon Series. (Backed and voiced by most of the cast.)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jup:
<STRONG>

Ahhhh...but, that's not true. The original series was always bordering on failure. It was just the fan base that blasted it into galactic proportions. Also, the original Trek movie was based on a failed TV series that was suppose to launch a network. (Much like Voyager did for UPN.) I think the network itself failed to come together. Then, there is the one Trek series that flopped so badly that most fans have no idea it even existed...Star Trek: The Cartoon Series. (Backed and voiced by most of the cast.)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine, have it your way, since you feel the need to argue things to death when they come to me. Star Trek was a huge failiure, it failed to win over the fans, it failed to make large amounts of money at the box office, it failed to spawn off successful series that had seven year runs with decent ratings. It failed to spawn off successful movies.

While we are recreating history to suit our needs, how about we say that KR2010 was a huge success, that TKR's second season really existed, and that Knight Rider 2000 was just misunderstood?

knightimmortal

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:19 pm

Sorry. Not following you on this one.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:27 pm

It's pretty easy to follow. This whole thing started with a statement that Star Trek was a failure. It had little setbacks but for the most part, came through with flying colors, but seemingly it is the new sport to take a small little detail and make a frikking molehill out of it. So, ok, to make all the debaters happy, Star Trek was a failure. But to have that, the other incarnations of Knight Rider would have to be successes where they were in fact large failures.

knightimmortal

Zarate
Volunteer

Post by Zarate » Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>It's pretty easy to follow. This whole thing started with a statement that Star Trek was a failure. It had little setbacks but for the most part, came through with flying colors, but seemingly it is the new sport to take a small little detail and make a frikking molehill out of it. So, ok, to make all the debaters happy, Star Trek was a failure. But to have that, the other incarnations of Knight Rider would have to be successes where they were in fact large failures.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehe...i feel you

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:57 pm

From: Strange & Amazing facts about Star Trek. By: Daniel Cohen.

---

"Though the series quickly developed a large and loyal following, Star Trek was never a great favorite of network executives. It was a farily expensive show to produce, and it didn't have the high ratings of a real hit show... ...executives felt viewers couldn't understand it. Star Trek ran two more years, and each year NBC announced plans to cancel it. It was then that the TV executives, and indeed the Star Trek cast, discovered just how many loyal fans the show really did have. Letters demanding the show be kept on the air flooded NBC, and the second time there may have been over a million letters. Reluctantly each time NBC agreed to contine Star Trek for another season. But, they were never really happy about keeping it, and it was given a new time slot: 10 o'clock on Friday nights... ...it's third season Star Trek was canceled because of "weak ratings"; no fan interference could save it this time."

"While no original Star Trek episodes were being produced, the series did inspire a series of cartoons, called Animateds by fans. The Animateds used the voices of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and most of the other Star Trek regulars. Twenty-Two Animateds were produced, and they originally ran between September 1973 and October 1974."

"Still, there were constant rumors that a new Star Trek series was planned. One of these rumors was true. In 1977 there was a plan to create a new TV network with a new version of Star Trek as one of the main attractions. Star Trek II was to cover the next five-year mission of the Enterprise. The crew was to remain the same, with one major exception: Mr. Spock was no longer to be a regular, though it was hoped that he would return as a guest star. His place as science officer was to be filled by Xon, a full-blooded Vulcan... ...Sets were built, costumes designed, and some scripts for Star Trek II were written, but not a single episode was ever filmed, because the plans for a fourth TV network fell through."

"With a great deal of money already invested, the owners of Star Trek decided to make a movie instead. The result was Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which officially premiered at the MacArthur Theatre in Washington, D.C., on the evening of December 6, 1979.

Some of the changes that had originally been planned for the new Star Trek TV series were incorporated into the film."

---

The book also notes that the movie cost $43 million to make and grossed $170 Million worldwide, despite the critic's claims that it would flop.

So, I hope you see why I don't understand your claim that I was rewriting history, KI. I was just simply stating the facts.

Nothing but the facts, ma'am.

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: jup ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:06 pm

I know the story, jup. I already said that you were right. (I don't believe it, because well, for the number of little setbacks Trek had, it still had the hearts of the fans as a success, to outnumber those little setbacks, which is why it is still rewriting history to bring out the little stuff and run with it.) How much further off topic do you want to drag it?

KI

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:21 pm

The Animated Series was at one point a fan favorite in the U.K. but Gene Roddenberry did not like it and declared it non-cannon. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was incredibly slow for a reason... It was a rapid rewrite of the pilot for Star Trek II, which is what they were going to call it. The pilot, at one point, was called In Thy Image, and I know this because they wrote almost a season's worth of scripts, which I have copies of, along with some screen-test images. These are easily obtainable in the book The Lost Series; Star Trek: Phase II, and are pretty good reading, because you see where a lot of the original ideas for Next Generation episodes came from.

dollar101

Post by dollar101 » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:22 am

i think kitt should be a viper. Rare car to be on the road in the first place and looks great.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dollar101:
<STRONG>i think kitt should be a viper. Rare car to be on the road in the first place and looks great.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately too many parallels to another show: Viper.

knightimmortal

Karrs_Shadow
Volunteer

Post by Karrs_Shadow » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:05 pm

I suppose it would depend on which Viper you put him in...the 2003 hardly looks like a Viper anymore *not that I'm complaining Image* and it has a full convertable top for those season 4 people. But I see where KI is comin from for the paralells...Kitt can't morph.......yet hehehe.

But for real, no matter what kind of car they put him in *provided it isn't a moped...j/k* he'll look great just cuz he's Kitt. As much as I *love* the Viper, I doubt they'll use it. Those cars run $80k each...but have top speeds of 180+ mph Image Image

But if all else fails.....

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:50 pm

My latest prediction about who/what will be in the movie:

Josh Hartnett, in the new GTO. With a candlestick.

Zarate
Volunteer

Post by Zarate » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:33 pm

the new viper sucks it looks liek it should have come before the previous viper

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:55 am

mike, u mentioned toys etc so the design would be out... but remember how they kept all godzilla merchandise secret until the very last second? it came out the same weekend as the movie, giving people who wanted to, to see the film first. cool idea i think, as how the new reptile would look was a major pull for me to the film. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike Knight
Rookie

Post by Mike Knight » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:23 pm

Personally, I think KITT should be reborn as a new-model Corvette, or the classic 1982 Firebird that he always was.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:19 am

New Corvette, I like the way that sounds. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal