KIFT in CHIPS 99???

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KIFT in CHIPS 99???

Post by imranbecks » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:53 am

I just saw the movie Chips 99 earlier today and noticed that the concept car KIFT as seen in the KR 2000 movie was in it!!!! It had everything including the scanner. Only thing was that the scanner did not light up....

Hmmm....Chips 99 is a movie about the California Highway Patrol which stars Erik Estrada and is based on the 70s tv series, and in the movie, there is this group of so called "bad guys" who steals cars which includes the concept car "KIFT"...

Did the producers put KIFT in the movie as some sort of a cameo?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:51 am

I don't think of it as a cameo, but rather simply a case of them recycling an existing prop. Yes, it's sad to think of KITT/KIFT as just a prop, but that's what he was. KIFT isn't as recognizable to the general public as KITT was, so they were able to reuse it. The car apparantly also was made appearances in a Power Rangers episode (with a paint job.)

Some stills of the car from Chips:
http://teamknightrider.com/kr2000/chips/chips.html
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:45 pm

The Z-2000 had a red roof, not like the Knight 4000's black one. Yeah, Power (St)rangers as a police car.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:42 pm

It's not unknown for such a thing to occur. The Mole vehicles from "Damnation Alley" can also be seen as a military transport vehicle in "A.P.E.X."

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:41 am

This is just my opinion, but no matter what angle you look at of that KIFT car, it just looks too wrong to be a Knight Industries vehicle. What do other people think?

AP

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:24 am

^ I don't know about the 4000 not looking like a Knight Industries car, but I do think it's ugly.

Knight224
Operative

LOL

Post by Knight224 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:58 am

KIFT, like beer and Willie Nelson, is an acquired taste. :P
Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:42 pm

I do think the car looks better in all red in Chips then in the duo tone of Knight Rider 2000.

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:07 pm

neps wrote:I do think the car looks better in all red in Chips then in the duo tone of Knight Rider 2000.
Or the Basic Black color ;)
Knight Industries Defence One

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:13 pm

Well thats goes with out saying ;) I just thought if they had to go red, all red is better than half.

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:23 am

The last time the k.i.f.t car was used.Was when it apeared on the sci-fi channels scare tatics.They were playing a joke on a "test driver" when the car goes nuts and looses control.pretty funny.
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Re: KIFT in CHIPS 99???

Post by ozikool » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:53 pm

KIFT is a Pontiac Banshee
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 pm

ozikool wrote:KIFT is a Pontiac Banshee
Correction, KIFT is a Dodge Stealth. It's made to look similar to the Banshee because Pontiac wouldn't let them use it.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09 pm

Stylez wrote:
Correction, KIFT is a Dodge Stealth. It's made to look similar to the Banshee because Pontiac wouldn't let them use it.
I see a big difference
The Dodge Stealth dos not look like banshee
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:08 pm

ozikool wrote:
Stylez wrote:
I see a big difference
The Dodge Stealth dos not look like banshee
Well then allow me to take you to school my friend.... http://www.kr2k.com/bts1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This should clear up why it doesn't look right to you. :good: Have a look over the rest of the site, it's quite the goldmine and we have Scott Kirkessner to thank for that.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 am

I see now,Thanks :good:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:46 pm

ozikool I just have to know.. where ever are you finding all these 2004 threads? Is there a rift in the space time continum or are you posting after a spammer had bumped the thread. Curiosity has gotten the best of me. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 pm

I would guess he just used the search option to see if there was a pre-existing thread about it...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:15 am

So, KITT happens to be a car from all the 3 American Car Makers!!!!! First it was from GM, then Dodge, and now its a Ford???? I never knew this before. All time, I thought KIFT wasa nother GM car Image :kitt:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:39 am

Lost Knight wrote:I would guess he just used the search option to see if there was a pre-existing thread about it...
...Or he skipped to the last few pages of threads.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:58 pm

K.I.F.T. is a 1991 Dodge Stealth. As depicted on Scott's site and pages 180-181 of The Knight Rider Companion.

=VK=
:dash:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:17 pm

OK, to take this off-topic for just a moment...

Every Knight Industries vehicle doesn't necessarily have to have an acronym, nor the acronym needing to stand for the vehicle's name itself. K.A.R.R. is a perfect example of this. He's the Knight Automated Roving Robot built into a prototype Knight 2000, yet he was not named K.I.T.T. Therefore I don't refer to the Knight 4000 as "K.I.F.T."

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Lost Knight wrote:OK, to take this off-topic for just a moment...

Every Knight Industries vehicle doesn't necessarily have to have an acronym, nor the acronym needing to stand for the vehicle's name itself. K.A.R.R. is a perfect example of this. He's the Knight Automated Roving Robot built into a prototype Knight 2000, yet he was not named K.I.T.T. Therefore I don't refer to the Knight 4000 as "K.I.F.T."
- Yet the rest of the world does just like they call the new K.I.T.T., the Knight Industries Three Thousand and not something else. The reason K.A.R.R. was not called the Knight Industries Two Thousand is because it was a prototype - KARR wasn't even a Knight Industries One Thousand.

Good luck pronouncing or marketing the name K.I.O.T right?

Keep in mind the car itself is called the Knight 2000 (which you pointed out) it's the A.I. that gets the "industries" designation which I would assume is given when a A.I. is tested enough to go into the field. If you call the car itself, Knight 4000 I can see your distinction but KIFT is still the AI inside of it.

This poses an interesting question though, when K.I.T.T. is placed inside the Knight 4000, that would mean although the car is the Knight 4000, K.I.T.T. is still called KITT but I would think not because of his model number but because his designation has evolved into an identity that sets him apart from the car he's placed in.

KITT is a character name, rather than a program identification.

Even K.R.O. was given an acronym with a number designation, Knight Reformulation One.

=VK=
Last edited by Victor Kros on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:34 pm

Knight 4000 works fine for me. It's also noteworthy to mention that the so-called "K.I.F.T." lacked a personality and was built purposely that way because of Maddock's lost faith in humans. All the more reason to refer to it in a colder term like Knight 4000.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Victor Kros wrote:This poses an interesting question though, when K.I.T.T. is placed inside the Knight 4000, that would mean although the car is the Knight 4000, K.I.T.T. is still called KITT but I would think not because of his model number but because his designation has evolved into an identity that sets him apart from the car he's placed in.

KITT is a character name, rather than a program identification.
I assume Michael still called him K.I.T.T. for two reasons. One being that K.I.T.T. is his own separate entity from the Knight 2000 which we can agree is a fact. The other (at least according to KR2K's continuity) is that K.I.T.T. is made up of Series 2000 circuitry, which could mean he was named after his circuitry that also happened to fit in nicely with the Knight 2000's name itself, thus creating the confusion that every A.I. must be named after its vehicle.

It's difficult to say since all we can go by is opinions (not even Glen Larson himself can provide an answer since he had nothing to do with the movie), but I'll have to maintain that the Knight 4000's A.I. was never actually given a name. I think Maddock or Devon for that matter would have called him K.I.F.T. at one point. And the same goes for the A.I. itself referring to Maddock as "sir." Remember, we're not talking about Wilton Knight here, whose team tapped into the essence of true A.I. We're talking about Maddock who ran Knight Industries/the Knight Foundation much differently and with his own style. He didn't want a "human" car, just a vehicle that could talk like its predecessor.
Victor Kros wrote:Even K.R.O. was given an acronym with a number designation, Knight Reformulation One.

=VK=
In K.R.O.'s case, yes, that's true. Only problem is, what about every other vehicle in Team Knight Rider? They all had names, not acronyms or even actual separate vehicle names apart from their A.I.s, correct? (I'm aware the producers did that to avoid confusion with too many acronyms, but I'm talking from a storyline perspective.)

Perhaps TKR doesn't matter since most people (or everybody?) don't even consider it canon, much like Knight Rider 2000. Even the backdoor pilot and new series aren't even connected to either of these. Do any of them even count at all? Well, like the movie or not, but KR2K made the most effort of all these comeback attempts to extrapolate the continuity from the original series.