This is ridiculous!!

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

BabsBunny
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

This is ridiculous!!

Post by BabsBunny » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:13 pm

I recently found a book about the history of Pontiac. The book not only outlined the history of the company and it's line of cars all the way to the present products, but also highlighted "celebrity" cars that were Pontiacs. The Monkees car was spotlighted, and so was the Trans Am from Smokey and the Bandit. But there was no KITT! Why not? The same thing goes for a book on "star cars" I found once. They highlighted everything from Herbie to the General Lee, to the Smokey and the Bandit car and a few others. but KITT got no mention whatsoever except for a one sentance blurb at the end of the book where they called him a 1983 Firebird.

I don't get it. How come KITT is always ignored? He wasn't just a car! He was an entity, and a cult icon!

Jayn
Volunteer

This is ridiculous!!

Post by Jayn » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:37 pm

I don't really know what to tell you, Babs but I'm not sure on KITT. Maybe he wasn't concidered as a car but a character, oh sure cars like the General Lee and the Bandit's car did seem to have personallties but KITT had one. I don't really know what else to say except I hope this helps..

Jay

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

This is ridiculous!!

Post by jup » Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:05 am

It COULD have something to do with the fact that in the series, most of the episodes AVOIDED talking about KITT being even related to a Trans-Am. And, MAYBE the writers didn't reference it enough on KITT's behalf to find out the background facts.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

This is ridiculous!!

Post by sarfraz » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:01 am

...but come on! its plainly obvious what car KITT is....and its popularity should have been acknowledged.

Sarfraz

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

This is ridiculous!!

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:26 pm

Maybe they didn't get full clearance to go into detail about KITT. Legalities and such.

knightimmortal

Dana Knight
Volunteer

This is ridiculous!!

Post by Dana Knight » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jup:
<STRONG>It COULD have something to do with the fact that in the series, most of the episodes AVOIDED talking about KITT being even related to a Trans-Am. And, MAYBE the writers didn't reference it enough on KITT's behalf to find out the background facts.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I came across something to do about the history of Pontiac on the net just a while ago, I was looking at the cars for sale in New Zealand and Australia. I had a look at it thinking that they might mention K.I.T.T or even a 1982 Trans Am, but nothing was mention about K.I.T.T or anything close to a 1982 Trans Am.
I remember reading something how Pontiac ask Knight Rider not to mention that K.I.T.T was a Trans Am because too many people were asking for a 1982 Trans Am just like K.I.T.T and they didn't have enough to meet the demand and the fact that they didn't sell them with red scanners. I remember in they last couple of seasons K.I.T.T was called a T-Top instead of a Trans Am.
Maybe thats why Knight Rider or K.I.T.T was never mention, but on the other hand that was years ago. I think K.I.T.T stands out more then any other car in the history of TV because he wasn't just a car he was one of the main characters of the show, the other cars where just cars in their shows.

Dana Knight

Skav
FLAG Operative

This is ridiculous!!

Post by Skav » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:38 pm

Ooooo...forgot to mention how lucky I am. There is an exact Smokey and the Bandit replica of the firebird a few blocks from me. I hate to sound such a weirdo but i always have to stop to look at it.

...but wait...even better.....around the opposite corner is the PROPER T top that kitt was IN BLACK :P. In good shape too. The T top is further away so i don't get a chance to come across it much but I always see the Bandit car. and what a sight it is....ya'll should listen to the sound of that engine!

Skav

BlazeFox
Rookie

This is ridiculous!!

Post by BlazeFox » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:43 pm

One word.... Ingreats.

-Blaze

BabsBunny
Rookie

This is ridiculous!!

Post by BabsBunny » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:39 pm

I dunno..KITT worried that KARR would give Trans Am a very bad name when KARR was giving Stitch a run for his money in TDR.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Besides, they didn't stray that far from the original look of an 82 trans Am. If you look at a real 82 T/A, they look like KITT except for differnces in snouts and interiors..

BlazeFox
Rookie

This is ridiculous!!

Post by BlazeFox » Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:23 am

The PMD seats remind me of the shape of a ice cream bar. There are a few times that they mention Pontiac or Trans Am. But ya just gotta catch it. And at the end they would say "Some vehicles furnished by Pontiac Motor Division."

You'd think they would be happy about the free advertisement this show gave them. (maybe they shoulda built more factories too) But I guess maybe they were scared that people would think >their< T/A's were actually capable of what was done in the show and end up killing themselves trying to ram thru a 6 foot thick concrete wall. I wonder if Dukes car owners try to jump small riverbeds in their replicas. I assume that they don't. No one could possibly be that stupid. Unless they're high or drunk. And usually no one would go get stoned outta their mind then plop down in their expensive KITT or General Lee conversion.

Pontiac should jump at the chance to have a special edition 4th gen KITT created. Because us hardcore fanatics would eat that stuff up like candy.

-BlazeFox

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: BlazeFox ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

This is ridiculous!!

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:55 am

Well one of the rumored reasons was the fact that Pontiac was getting tired of people coming into their showrooms and asking for the replicas of KITT, in addition to the concept of those who aren't bright trying to pull KITT stunts.

knightimmortal

slickbrit
Volunteer

This is ridiculous!!

Post by slickbrit » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>Ooooo...forgot to mention how lucky I am. There is an exact Smokey and the Bandit replica of the firebird a few blocks from me. I hate to sound such a weirdo but i always have to stop to look at it.

...but wait...even better.....around the opposite corner is the PROPER T top that kitt was IN BLACK :P. In good shape too. The T top is further away so i don't get a chance to come across it much but I always see the Bandit car. and what a sight it is....ya'll should listen to the sound of that engine!

Skav</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Skav, sounds like you'll have to give me a guided tour next time I come over [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I think I saw a black trans am on the way to work this morning, but I didn't have time to check for sure. It certainly looked very much like KITT. Hopefully I'll see it again.

Kxx

Newcastle knight
Operative

This is ridiculous!!

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:19 am

Cool Skav. there used to be a smokey and the bandit TA here too, the only thing was, it was bright red, it had all the decals on though, and the big firebird on the hood, even had 6.6 litre on the side of the bulge thing on the hood ! huh huh huh huh, american engines, lol

havnt seen it for a very very long time though so im guessing the bloke must of sold it.

weird mentioning that, i was looking at car models yesterday and i was thinking of buying Bandits TA, looks real nice. depends how much birthday money i get ! might also be tempted to buy the BTTF Delorean too, dont think thats been out long ! both 1/18th scale so they are a good size, i would buy a 1/18th scale KITT except nobody has made one yet ! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

scott

Skav
FLAG Operative

This is ridiculous!!

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:12 am

Slick, yeah I'll take you to the Bandit car.

If it's a really nice day then I'll show you the Pontiac TA too since it's near a local park!

Newcastle, I have BOTH the BTTF and Bandit 1/18 models. The bandit car that's near me is the proper black one. It could be my mistake but maybe this guy bought one of the car's used in the movie???? I was wondering that and i dunno about this but do all firebird TA's have that red plate thing with a blue X sign going thru it on the bumper?

I was only wondering since its on my model and on the car that's near me.

Skav

Newcastle knight
Operative

This is ridiculous!!

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:19 pm

he could of just put it on, if people can make KITT replicas then there's nothing stopping you making a Bandit Trans Am, especially as its 100 times easier becuase there were no mods made to his ! lol

scott

Skav
FLAG Operative

This is ridiculous!!

Post by Skav » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:43 pm

hehehe...ur making me excited now! i got a bandit car replica right next to me [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Skav