Question about the Knight Rider Movie

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider movie is a go!

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:46 am

Daily Variety reports that Revolution Studios signed a deal with Hasselhoff and Mayhem Pictures to create a Knight Rider film. Glen A. Larson will write the first draft. Hasselhoff will have input on the film as expected to play an onscreen role.

No release date was given.

Great news! More to follow.

Mike

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:53 am

Yep. Knew this already. Joe and I spoke to Glen Larson 3 weeks ago and he confirmed its release is for 2003. They are coordinating it with our unofficial guide to Knight Rider.

Since you let the cat out of the bag congradulations. Joe, I and AJ Palmgren could not tell a soul about it.

Richie

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:17 am

The Daily Variety article is on my site:
http://www.newKnightRider.com/

MaiDomino (of the developing tape traders database) told me that the local news in L.A. had a blurb about the movie. I watched the repeat broadcast and it was just a snippet, basically saying "Variety reports there will be a Knight Rider movie." The nice thing is that the local media are giving the film publicity already.

Mike

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:20 am

at last, some concrete evidence, i was getting pretty sick of the speculation and the possibility of a film, now it looks like a certainty. roll on 2003 !

scott

Janeway
Recruit

Post by Janeway » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newcastle knight:
at last, some concrete evidence, i was getting pretty sick of the speculation and the possibility of a film, now it looks like a certainty. roll on 2003 !

scott
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said it!! I have two words to describe how great this is:

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, 2003. Should we be giving KR the key to the front door?? lol....
(It's gonna be 21...geddit? Don't look at me like that, it was just a joke...)

Janeway

Dreamchild
Volunteer

Post by Dreamchild » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newcastle knight:

scott
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yaaay!!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:04 pm

Uuuugh, this is what I get for getting so excited, and not waiting for another board senior moment to pass. I went and posted it on the Knight Rider Legacy board, and emailed everybody I could about it. Sorry for potentially stepping on your discovery, Mike. I just got so excited about having something new to chew on. And sorry to all those that I emailed about it.

knightimmortal

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>Uuuugh, this is what I get for getting so excited, and not waiting for another board senior moment to pass.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry that wasn't another senior moment. it was my own doing trying to upgrade the board to a more effecent version. i'm sure they will all forgive you, you are too nice to stay mad at!

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:08 pm

And with Glen Larson to keep everything in check (hopefully), too!

Yes, indeed - woo hoo! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Some of my fears about the new project have been calmed. David Hasselhoff is involved and approves, so it won't be another Team Knight Rider-style revival, and Glen Larson is on board to cut down on the Knight Rider 2000 factor.

(And on a completely unrelated note, this board seems to have improved since this morning, even, with instant UBB codes and 'gremlins'! I like!)

Sarah

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Mar 19, 2002 2:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by neps:
<STRONG>

sorry that wasn't another senior moment. it was my own doing trying to upgrade the board to a more effecent version. i'm sure they will all forgive you, you are too nice to stay mad at!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not too sure about me being too nice to stay mad at, a few around here (and a few I emailed) are not too sure about me, but thanks. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As for what we have seen about the new KR in our newest article...to quote another famous late 80's early 90's program.... oh boy...

knightimmortal

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>Sorry for potentially stepping on your discovery, Mike. I just got so excited about having something new to chew on. And sorry to all those that I emailed about it.
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By 3:00 early this morning I had already emailed about 800 people about it (my Knight Rider movie Updates list) so I don't feel stepped on at all. I think a lot of people will be hearing it for the first time this week and we'll get a lot of "announcements" about it.

Mike

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:08 pm

800 people? Wow. Are you exagerrating? I can't believe that many people signed up.

Richie

KRAvenger
Rookie

Post by KRAvenger » Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:52 pm

And yet, you didn't tell me. I thought We wuz buds.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KRAvenger:
<STRONG>And yet, you didn't tell me. I thought We wuz buds.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Join the list!

Don't take it personally. It's not like I typed up 800 individual emails and mailed them out one at a time. I have a Knight Rider news mailing list that I send out info on the project whenever I get significant news.

Pretty much I send news to the mailing list first, then add it to my website, then post it here. That usually all takes place within a span of one hour, so essentially it happens all at once.

Send an email to updates@newknightrider.com to be added to the list. It is not a discussion forum; it is only one-way communication from me with news. Of course individuals can reply to me with questions or comments.

Mike http://www.newKnightRider.com

nawdle88
Recruit

Post by nawdle88 » Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:35 am

This is good news! I'm practically bouncing off the walls! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Greg B. aka Killer KITT

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: Killer KITT ]

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newcastle knight:
<STRONG>roll on 2003 !

scott</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww crap. Im gonna have to wait AGES. Oh wait, its only 2002 <just realised!>. Way-hey!

Dreamchild
Volunteer

Post by Dreamchild » Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:35 am

Today's Metro newspaper has an article about the new KR. The article is pretty much a summary of the Daily Variety report, except that the Metro claims that there will be "a mystery actor playing hero Michael Knight". But don't take that too seriously unless you hear it from another source - the Metro has a reputation for being unreliable. Oh yeah, the article also has a particuarly awful picture of David Hasselhoff!

Calum

Catt of the Garage
Volunteer

Post by Catt of the Garage » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:00 am

I was just going to bring up the Metro thing as well, but you beat me to it - here's the whole article in case anyone's interested:

-----------------
KNIGHT TO RIDE ON
-----------------
THE hit 1980s TV series Knight Rider is revving up for a big screen version with a mystery actor playing hero Michael Knight. The crimebuster with the talking car was played on TV by David Hasselhoff, who has an option to appear in the film but not as the lead. Film executives said the car would be overhauled for the movie. The original KITT was a Pontiac Trans Am able to travel at 300mph and leap 50ft into the air while indulging in chit-chat with Hasselhoff.
-----------------------------------

Some might say that latter was the most challenging feat...

As has been said, don't place too much weight on the details, as the Metro has been known simply to dredge up web-rumours and print them as hard fact. But if it's appearing in the papers now - that's exciting!

Catt

-------------
I read it in the Metro, so it must be true
------------- [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:46 am

i gotta say, hasselhoff being on board and larson writing the script sounds terrific! originally this sounded like a recipe for success, and still does, but...

but the "teen male market" thing on the other thread and the fact that someone else could be playing michael knight with hasselhoff getting a cameo sounds a bit dodgy and too "that awful charlie's angels movie" to me - and look how crap and how "un-Charlie's Angels" it was! (i was never a fan of the show, but u get my drift... and wild wild west is another good example) we've been told that its not a recreation, which leads us to believe its a proper follow-up instead, so y isn't david playing michael?

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:59 pm

i got a few articles up at my site about the kr movie.. http://www.geocities.com/hassellhoff1
one of them, i think, said that david was not going to be in the movie. just be an executive producer.

KITT

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:25 pm

There are two things that are making the masses uneasy about Hasselhoff reprising Michael Knight's role in the movie.

From the Variety article:
'Hasselhoff will have input in the film, and he is also expected to play an onscreen role.'

That hints that ast his role will be scaled back a bit.

From the E! Online article:
'Hasselhoff is on board to executive produce the flick with series creator Glen Larson. There's no word yet what kind of screen time, if any, Hasselhoff will have. '

That is the real kicker. That is the one that has people tied up in slight knots right now.

And KITT, *pouts* why did you not share those articles with us earlier? *pout x2* It says that he is not expected to star, though, from what I see. So once again, that lands us in the same uncomfortable vague land that we were originally in.

knightimmortal
(observer and nitpicker of articles big and small)

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:12 am

Well here's to hoping this movie isn't one big 90 min long running joke like the Charlies Angels remake. "cling" [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:19 am

LOL @ Knightrider_ni

I guess I should have read ALL the post before responding. You and I are in the same boat here as far as Charlies Angles and 80's remakes going. They all end up being jokes or to damn confusiing. Anyone see both Mission Impossable movies? They are the ones that started it all. I have this gut feeling this is gonna be all one big joke compaired to the 80's Knight Rider we grew up with. You guys at this forum seemingly know more about Knight Rider then Hasselhoff did or does.

He reminds me of Jason's Briggs role in "Jay and Silent Bill Strike Back" Oh well. LIke I said hopefully they don't mess it up. To me its kinda risky and I am almost against it, but if its done right it could be pretty cool. To me it sounds like they are just ripping off team knight rider but including KITT this time in a more physical form. Hasselhoffs only comment was that he didn't like it because he wasn't envolved. R-I-G-H-T. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightrider_ni:
<STRONG>so y isn't david playing michael?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I think you're jumping pretty far ahead here.

For one thing, I don't think Hasselhoff ever had plans that Michael Knight would be a "big" part of it. (see other thread). Earlier ideas were that Michael Knight MIGHT take on Devon's job, allowing a younger cast to have the big roles.

And there is NO news saying Hasselhoff won't be playing Michael.

Mike

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:05 am

hehe, sorries. i'll try to share it more often, but i usually update my site with them first. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

KITT