Why don't Pontiac let the movie use Trans-Ams?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

mikeedwards
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

DID PONTIAC TURN DOWN NEW KR

Post by mikeedwards » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:33 pm

HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THE MESSAGE BOARD. I AM HEARING FROM PEOPLE AT THE KNIGHT REGISTRIES THAT PONTIAC HAS TURNED DOWN THE NEW KR MOVIE. IT SEEMS LIKE PEOPLE IN HERE HAVE MORE IMPUT THEN IN THAT MESSAGE BOARD SO I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS IF THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THAT STATEMENT. MAYBE THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT....HOPEFULLY! I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE IN HERE, BUT I THINK THAT KITT IS ONLY KITT IN A BLACK TRANS-AM. I WAS GREATLY DISAPPOINTED OVER THE 1991 MOVIE CAUSE OF THAT REASON, AMOUNG OTHERS REASONS. ANYWAY LET ME STOP RANTING ANY IMPUT ON THIS MATTER WOULD BE GREATLY APPREICIATED. THANKS: : [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:49 pm

First, a helpful little hint: posting in all caps is considered yelling in some places. (didn't know if you knew that or not)

Second, it was published in a magazine called High Performance Pontiac that Pontiac did in fact turn the new KR movie down, but with reason. (Read carefully.) They turned them, and a few other productions down because of their cancellation of the Trans-Am/Firebird line for the present moment. (Before you explode...) There is word that they will bring the T/A back in the future, but during the filming of the new KR movie, there most likely will not be a T/A line.

Which comes to the newest press releases about the KR Movie.

From E! Online:

'To that end, the studio plans to overhaul the black Trans Am (originally voiced by St. Elsewhere star and former Screen Actors Guild (news - web sites) president William Daniels) and refurbish the story to appeal to a more high-octane, teen-male market.'

So, that says that we are getting the black T/A back. But at the present moment, it is too early to really tell anything for sure.

Hope this helps!
knightimmortal

mikeedwards
Volunteer

Post by mikeedwards » Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:44 pm

Thanks for your imput, sounds like the movie might be good after all. Sorry did not realize about the caps thing...bad habit i guess. Peace out !!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>
'To that end, the studio plans to overhaul the black Trans Am .'

So, that says that we are getting the black T/A back. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not so sure about that. You could casually say that Knight Rider 2000 overhauled the black Trans Am too. It might not be grammatically perfect, but the general meaning is that KITT got an overhaul.

Mike

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:15 pm

When Richie and I spoke to Larson about the new project, I specifically asked him if they had approached Pontiac about using a new Trans Am for the movie. He told us that he had a few cars in mind but hasn't decided which to use, nor has he tried to approach anyone. By the way he told us, I don't think a new Trans Am is even in the running.

Joe

mikeedwards
Volunteer

Post by mikeedwards » Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:31 pm

Well lets just hope its not a Dodge Dart, with a voice box. I know that this is a real stupid question and don't get me wrong i am not trying to be sarcastic, but how are they going to "maybe" bring back the old T-A kitt. It was disassembled according to the 1991 movie. "Kitt didn't have fresh oil on the dip stick" Thats where the KIFT idea came into play!! Unless they are going to just ignore KNIGHT RIDER 2000! I know that no one has all the awnsers to these questions yet, just thought maybe someone would have the inside scoop on that one! Later Later:

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:37 pm

What if they use a 2002 model? Seriously they're not that old and if cost or availability of the cars is a problem they can always use CGI for the Turbo Boost and other scenes. if KITT can't be a T/A then what is he going to be? That Vette pic looked pretty nice even though it was a fake. It'd be kewel if they could do that to a Vette. Still KITT came into the would as a T/A and thats how he should be.

[ March 21, 2002: Message edited by: BlazeFox ]

Karrs_Shadow
Volunteer

Post by Karrs_Shadow » Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:13 am

Kitt should be a trans am...but he doesn't have to be. I mean, there are several different cars that he could look good in. Take the 2002 Camaro, Dodge Viper, Impala, Monte Carlo, Mustang *GT or Roush of course [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]*.......

Small problems: Camaro, being canceled this year along with the TA..
Viper: Too much money..the RT/10 convertable cost nearly 80k...i looked hehe

Now, the Impala, MC, and the Mustang would all work. They're cheaper and still look good. What do you guys think?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:23 am

Corvette.

knightimmortal

garrettmichaels
Stranger

Post by garrettmichaels » Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:56 am

As much as I would like to see KITT as a Trans-Am, it does not seem likely. I would hope that we might get a cameo of the original KITT. However, if it cannot be a T/A then the most logical choice would be a corvette since they share a common style.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow:
<STRONG>Kitt should be a trans am...but he doesn't have to be. I mean, there are several different cars that he could look good in. Take the 2002 Camaro, Dodge Viper, Impala, Monte Carlo, Mustang *GT or Roush of course [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]*.......

Small problems: Camaro, being canceled this year along with the TA..
Viper: Too much money..the RT/10 convertable cost nearly 80k...i looked hehe

Now, the Impala, MC, and the Mustang would all work. They're cheaper and still look good. What do you guys think?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KITT as a four door car? That just wouldn't look right. I'm sorry but he's a TA through and through and will always be one.

My voice car that I bought off of eBay several years ago has given up the ghost I tried to get him to talk the other day and he wouldn't do it. I don't know if the battery was too weak or he's quit all together, but I do have the sounds recorded onto my website.

Dave

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Fri Mar 22, 2002 3:48 pm

I still say maybe they should scrap anything behind no wait. The Star Trek movies didn't ignore previous versions and they turned out okay. Maybe I'm wrong. Oh well whatever they come up with I hope its good and they atleast make an attempt to put KITT in a decent looking "not-too-expensive-flashy-but not-common" vehicle. If they put KITT in a 69 Dodge Charger and slap a rebel flag on top i'ma kick someone in their shin. Wait a second. Pontiac killed off the bird. Did Chevy kill off the Camaro as well?

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:26 pm

I still say that if they produce the Solstice that it would be perfect.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlazeFox:
<STRONG>I still say maybe they should scrap anything behind no wait. The Star Trek movies didn't ignore previous versions and they turned out okay. Maybe I'm wrong. Oh well whatever they come up with I hope its good and they atleast make an attempt to put KITT in a decent looking "not-too-expensive-flashy-but not-common" vehicle. If they put KITT in a 69 Dodge Charger and slap a rebel flag on top i'ma kick someone in their shin. Wait a second. Pontiac killed off the bird. Did Chevy kill off the Camaro as well?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice punctuation, now if we could work on focusing. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Chevy is phasing out the Camaro as well last I heard. (And that is what the car dealer told me when we went in to pick up my Mom' car, and I was looking dreamily at the Corvette parked right next to the "Limited and Last Edition" Camaro.)

I still wouldn't mind seeing KITT in 'vette form. Chevy gives great deals to entertainment productions. *angelic look, ducks from rocks*

knightimmortal

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:18 pm

I personally don't like the newer Trans-AM's. This is my personal opinion but I think they don't look as sleek as the 82 Trans AM. As many have said, the new Vette looks more like the 82 Trans AM than the new Trans AM. My major problem is that the new Trans AM's body look too tall and seem to engulf the small looking wheels. The vette seems more in proportion to the old KITT.

sarfraz

kossuth
Stranger

Post by kossuth » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:40 pm

I grew up watching the show just as everyone else did here and just like others have said, KITT would not be KITT unless he was in a TA, just like how Smokey and the Bandit wouldn't be the same unless they used a TA. The TA is a symbol of American muscle with style and has always been. What has more awe factor a TA, Camaro, or a Mustang? You know the answer to that one. Heck, a Vette isn't even that special compared to a TA because a Vette is thought to be more of a wine and cheese type car mostly for men going through a mid life crisis, with prices starting at the insane and going up from there. Personally a Firehawk or WS6 TA is what KITT should be, rub the f-body dominance in the rest of the performance car market and let it go out the way it should, on top. As for the TA coming back in the future, I highly doubt it. GM doesn't even have a department working on the development of a new f-body, and even if they did word has it that it would be named the GTO [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img], leave the legend dead where it belongs GM. If you are going to kill an American icon then send it out on top and don't bring it back and butcher it like you did with the new Impalas. Get real, in 96 or 97 when they killed the Impy they went from a 260 hp LT1 V8 (wink wink) to a FWD platform with a 3.something V6 that can barely get outta it's own way, that is sick and is a disgrace to what the Impala ever was. Perhaps the producers should talk to SLP, they are the folks that produce the WS6 and Firehawk for GM, I am sure they would be interested. If they are worried about costs and such, all they would need to do to convert a V6 bird cosmetically to a Firehawk or WS6 are the rear deck lids, hood and front fascia. Being GM hasn't changed the body of the Firebird since 98 I am sure even used cars could be picked up if cost is that much of an issue. I wouldn't even really care to see the movie if they didn't do it right, and as far as I am concerned you need a TA to do it right. End of rant [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:58 pm

Now, enter my rant.

The corvette is considered one of the all time top muscle cars, that is why it was almost tradition for old Top Gun fighter pilots and astronauts to get one, because they were supposedly the only thing that gave them the feel of speed that they had been addicted to.

The word is out that they are in fact redesigning the Firebird in the far future to adhere to safety and design standards. (2005, I think is what the last post on the subject said.)

And I have to agree that the new T/A looks nothing like the older T/A. It was a looks thing with KITT. The new T/A doesn't look like KITT. It almost has a bit of an economy car look to it. (Very much like the Ford Mustang ended up looking.) I'd still live with it, but there is just something about that larger nose that helped the realm of believability. (As much fuel and hydrolics that KITT's functions required, it would be rather unbelievable to shove it in a small car.)

knightimmortal

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:21 pm

I personally actually like the new Grand Prix's styling more than the current T/A. The Trans Am's current styling is okay, but almost everyone gets the Ram Air package, which, frankly, I think is rather a bit ugly... I always liked the Grand Prix, looks alive... Heck, it looks like it's going to up and pounce on the next car...

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:24 pm

You're a smart guy Kossuth. KITT would want to go out the way he came in. As a T/A. And yes KnightImmortal KITT woulda looked okay as a vette. Wouldn't have been as affordable. And it just doesn't have that ability to "fit in" or be inconspicuous.
But by whatever train wreck twist of fate KITT came onto our T.V.'s as a Trans Am and thats how I'd like to see him on the silver screen. WS6's kick majorly. What I see as the new KITT is a 4th gen bird with modified interior/exterior pieces that best replicate KITT's orriginal interior/exterior.When it comes to these details I'm a total fundamentalist. The nose should be long and have the "Goatee" kinda look. I've always thought of the scanner being KITT's mouth or teeth and the point of the header panel being his chin. A hood that resembles the 82's hood with the large triangular cowl on the driver side. And the interior should look the same, 2 tv screens and all the same buttons and led's as the orriginal dash. If possible I'd like to see custom bowling ball caps made for KITT's wheels. I don't wanna see KITT on 20 inch chrome rims. And I don't ever wanna hear him say "Bling Bling." All these important details added to the darkness of the car and its mysterious look.

Yes, KI. I've learned to use some decent but not perfect puntuation.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:44 pm

That would change the car's look so it would end up looking like some kid's vision with a Lego set.

We all would like to see KITT as a T/A, but if that is not possible, it doesn't hurt to keep your mind open to other logical possibilities.

And I was applauding you on the punctuation, Blaze, you are doing better.

knightimmortal

BlazeFox
Rookie

Post by BlazeFox » Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:50 pm

*hugs* Sorry about that. I didn't mean to sound snappy and thanx for the compliment ^^)I was just saying my grammar and spelling aren't perfect.I've been trying though. And yes I'd be open to whatever they decide to do so long as its a decent car.

"That would change the car's look so it would end up looking like some kid's vision with a Lego set."

I was thinking more along the lines of professionally molded fiberglass pieces made for a 4th model bird. Why not? George Baris did a fairly decent job and he uses Bondo.

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: BlazeFox ]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Mar 23, 2002 11:49 pm

If you're talking about Silly Pop...I mean Super Pursuit Mode, then there are a lot of people who would disagree with you. He did do a great job, but it was not the best liked KITT of them all.

knightimmortal

kossuth
Stranger

Post by kossuth » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:30 am

Personally I don't like the WS6 hood eithor, looks like big nostles. But I said that because that is a icon that most every novice and serious car nut knows about and can easily identify from a distance. Now what I would love to see is a Firehark because that is really a one of a kind car, and they are really hard to distinguish from a regular TA unless you know what you are really looking at. The hawk hood does differ from the regular TA hood but it takes a trained eye and from a distance few can really tell. Yes, the Firehawk also has Ramair if some of you guys didn't know.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:29 am

Well, the 3.8 in the Impala you were referring to packs plenty of punch, especially in the supercharged form found in the Grand Prix, which also comes in a coupe form, to fit the 2 door criteria. Anyone who says a 3.something has never driven the 3.8/3800, if they had, they'd realize its true punch. With the Grand Prix scheduled for a complete redesign, who knows what it'll look like, might be perfect for KITT.
Pontiac does plan to bring the GTO back if "no unforeseeable complications" arise. They're gonna base it on the Australian Monaro from GM's Holden Division. All indications are that the deal is all but done. I hope they change the sheet metal somewhat though....looks rather boring to me.

Darknight

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kossuth:
<STRONG> Now what I would love to see is a Firehawk</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(pouting) Don't talk to me about the Firehawk. I've been trying to get one for 2 years now. (I want Black of course, Convertible). I've been test-driving them, trying to work out financing but until that big promotion comes through I won't be able to get one. I agree, the Hawk hood is great.

Mike