Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

monte
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by monte » Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:36 pm

I love KITT's new look, but hated
KITT's style convertible, anyways,
there's just a couple of question that comes to mind?, First of all, before the fourth
season and KITT's configuration changes,
Has KITT already travelled (in each episodes)
@ least 300 MPH?! (0,..100,...225)---
And if I'm not mistaken, in the episode
of Many Happy Returns (i think), there's
a scene where KITT's travelling at 300+
mph, then,(get this), makes a very narrow sharp turn, which there are no pedestrians,
and no cops, also, no line of cars of
traffic, now, Is it just me, OR due to the
laws of speed and gravity, there's NO WAY
in the world you could make a perfect turn
without swirving and/or hitting a curb or
something, now, I can understand if they'd used EBS to slow down just a tab to make
that turn, but c'mon someone tell me sumthin'
?! [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote

LoneKnight
Rookie

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by LoneKnight » Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:41 pm

It's KITT...'nuff said. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:46 pm

Ok, yes, in earlier episodes, it was theorized that KITT travelled 300 mph, but they needed a flashier gimmick for season four in an attempt to boost the ratings.

A perfect turn like that, can be executed providing the vehicle has the right and proper thrusters to counteract the inertia of the vehicle. KITT most likely did. (Real reason, sped up footage...anything is possible.)

And the EBS seemed to be only to bring them to a stop, not slow them down. The SPM jets most likely had regulators on them, (Yeah, you are making me rationalize SPM, you will pay...) to adjust speed. The regular braking system also seemed to help adjust speed.

knightimmortal

LoneKnight
Rookie

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by LoneKnight » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>The regular braking system also seemed to help adjust speed.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless KITT had indestructible rotors and everlasting brake pads, to stop a vehicle at 300mph without anything like EBS you'd need a couple drag chutes! I can understand if the EBS would minimize the speed and the brakes would counter-compensate for turns and what-not, but in some of those shots KITT was doing a good 150-200mph. Brakes MIGHT have helped, but probably not a great deal.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:36 pm

First of all, you are saying that KITT has ordinary brakes. That is a common mistake. Nothing on KITT was stock. Obviously they would have had designed brakes to compensate for KITT's normal speeds, and potentially those same brakes would have allowed for some speed adjustment, but not for a complete stop. (Which is what the EBS is for. Hence the word "Emergency" in EBS. It is not meant for control, but for sheer stopping power.) That is what I was saying is that it is for control, not stopping.

knightimmortal

KRAvenger
Rookie

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by KRAvenger » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>Ok, yes, in earlier episodes, it was theorized that KITT travelled 300 mph, but they needed a flashier gimmick for season four in an attempt to boost the ratings.

A perfect turn like that, can be executed providing the vehicle has the right and proper thrusters to counteract the inertia of the vehicle. KITT most likely did. (Real reason, sped up footage...anything is possible.)

And the EBS seemed to be only to bring them to a stop, not slow them down. The SPM jets most likely had regulators on them, (Yeah, you are making me rationalize SPM, you will pay...) to adjust speed. The regular braking system also seemed to help adjust speed.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. For Someone who doesn't even like SPM, You sure were able to give a detailed explination of the concept. I'm impressed.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:47 pm

I am too. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

monte
Volunteer

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by monte » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:34 pm

Oh I love KITT's super pursuit mode
look, the speed, the sonic sound efx, and
it'll be cool if I'd owned the SPM KITT
version car, but honestly, I guess I am
not too fond of the convertible KITT.
Reason(s), let's say you're at a stoplight,
a carjacker walks by and throws a brick
at the back of your head-- you see, no
protection, as far as the T-top, and hardtop
T/A's or KITT/KARR vehicles, a carjacker
throws a brick and it just richochets
off the windshield. (hint hint) [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
carjacker#2:"Don't use your foot man, use something where you can't get hurt." (goofy music plays)
(throws a brick at KITT then richochets smackin' carjacker#1 in the head)
jacker#2:"Hey Jackson, you ok man!, snap
out-of-it!" [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Michael and KITT drives off--(carjacker gettin mad) [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] jacker#1:"I'm getting mad man,that car gonna be mine, you hear me mine!!"
carjacker#2:"Well yeah, I kinda understand that!"

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by K.I.T.T » Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:45 pm

Personally i loved the convertible look KITT had....though the logic of the upper console makes no sense.
I think it gives KITT yet another class of his own.
Slick,Black,powerful and topless...KITT at his best!!!

K.I.T.T

SadArticle
Operative

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by SadArticle » Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K.I.T.T:
<STRONG>Personally i loved the convertible look KITT had....though the logic of the upper console makes no sense.
I think it gives KITT yet another class of his own.
Slick,Black,powerful and topless...KITT at his best!!!

K.I.T.T</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pitching my tent in your camp, K.I.T.T. - I preferred 'C' mode to Silly Pop-up Mode (if they had to do anything to the car at all). It gave Kitt another sexy look, well adapted for the California sunshine (although he was opposed to covertibles in 'Soul Survivor'). And it was fun seeing Michael talking to Devon from atop the back of the driver's seat (Devon must have been conversing with Michael's kneecap). I always pictured Michael as the type to vault into a convertible without opening the door, and then speed away along the highway.

Sarah

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by March2875 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:32 am

I don't see why the concept of Kitt traveling 300+ before SPM and after also is such a believablity problem. SPM made Kitt 40% faster. So now He goes further above 300 than before. He never reached his top speed He was always accelerating. Kitt definitely has Rocket Assist turning.

KRR
Rookie

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by KRR » Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:55 am

If you look closely at his speedometer display in "Short Notice" when he is racing through town, preparing to do battle with Tiny, it reads "450 MPH" and is constantly increasing!

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:38 pm

I think the whole problem is the fact that KITT was able to do 300+ previous to SPM, so in effect, they didn't need the wings, flaps, and jets. They could have kept the smooth beautiful lines without making it look like a misspent alien rocket. Yeah, on occasion, you see his speedometer race on up past 300 in SPM, but you also saw it blur past 300 and back down in the middle of high speed pre-SPM. The speedometer seemed to be a great toy for them to play with. Even when KITT was barely moving, you could see the speedometer race up.

knightimmortal

JustinMacri
Rookie

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by JustinMacri » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:48 am

Kitt does go very fast but if you want to make a turn while still holding the accelerator you have to turn the wheel slowly see like playing one of those driving games like 007 Racing. If you watched the end intor of level one when Bond does the oil slick. see how he made that trun and the bad guys went off the road. My guess is that these guys are pro drivers they have to lean for a lot of years like Tannner is in "Driver"

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Super Pursuit Mode/ EBS.

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:32 pm

Justin,

For starters, the scenes where they are going particularly fast...they aren't. They just speed up the film.

And when you are going in excess of 300 mph, standard turning practices don't come into play. Something about the laws of physics.

knightimmortal