KITT's sense of smell

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Skav
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Skav » Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:12 pm

Hi,

I've just been watching RTC and I noticed something that caught my attention:

When Michael goes out of the hospital and into KITT, KITT comments that the odour of Bobby's diving gear was unpleasent. This gives me indication that he can smell...I never knew this...does he have a sensory device where he can smell different things?

I don't think that anywhere else in the series, he gives out any indication where he can do such a thing so this got me curious.

If he can smell, how did this come about?

Give us your opinions, folks...

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:16 pm

No opinion. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] KITT has an olfactory sensor. It is featured in Redemption of a Champion. (even makes an appearance in KR2K.) It seemed to have been a new device in Redemption of a Champion, but he most likely had it earlier. (Like many of his sensors)

knightimmortal

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightshade » Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:45 pm

Hmm, the more interesting question is, what is smelling like for him? Seems easy enough to give him a sensor that analyzes the chemicals in the air, but how would he have a positive or negative reaction to that information? Flowers and skunks should be equally neutral, right? Or is he just commenting based on a knowledge of what smells humans find pleasant or objectionable? Is he just being conversational knowing what the people around him are smelling.

Off to go ponder that idea some more. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Skav
FLAG Operative

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Skav » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:54 am

Great, and valid theories guys....I'm very interested in this [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Let's hear more info...

c'mon guys, get your brains in gear

Skav

KRAvenger
Rookie

KITT's sense of smell

Post by KRAvenger » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightshade:
<STRONG>Hmm, the more interesting question is, what is smelling like for him? Seems easy enough to give him a sensor that analyzes the chemicals in the air, but how would he have a positive or negative reaction to that information? Flowers and skunks should be equally neutral, right? Or is he just commenting based on a knowledge of what smells humans find pleasant or objectionable? Is he just being conversational knowing what the people around him are smelling.

Off to go ponder that idea some more. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't know, since I don't seem to have one; But what about KITT's "Aromanometer" from KR 2000?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:23 pm

Oh good god, don't tell me that we are now deciding that abbreviating Knight Rider 2000 is too confusing for people. I mean, we have been using KR2K around here for a good two years since Scott K. first started using it.

*sigh* No winning around here. And yes, I did mention the aromanometer before, just not by name.

And down to the nitty gritty of how it might have worked? KITT/KIFT might have had a database of the chemical compounds and statistical data of what people found pleasing or foul, and drew his comparisons off of an analysis of what the sensor picked up, and a cross-reference of the data banks for identification, and pre-listed opinions.

knightimmortal

Aphra
Stranger

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Aphra » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:45 pm

aahhm...
sorry, but, what is KR2K?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:47 pm

Read the post above. It explains that it is Knight Rider 2000.

I hate to say it, but we would conserve a whole lot more board resources if people would read the messages before responding. (Just a little suggestion.)

knightimmortal

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

Aphra
Stranger

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Aphra » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:58 pm

i'm sorry.
i've read the postings above.
the problem is, i'm german and my english is not as good as it could be.
i thought it was something different.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:06 pm

I'm sorry. I did know you were from Germany.

But you do need to try to read the messages a little more carefully.

knightimmortal

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KRAvenger:
<STRONG>

I wouldn't know, since I don't seem to have one; But what about KITT's "Aromanometer" from KR 2000?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the same thing - a smell-o-sensor. Maybe under a different name but still the same thing, which has already been mentions by KnightImmortal, though Knight Rider 2000 was abbreviated to KR2K, which may have been confusing for some.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

KITT's sense of smell

Post by jup » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightshade:
<STRONG>Hmm, the more interesting question is, what is smelling like for him? Seems easy enough to give him a sensor that analyzes the chemicals in the air, but how would he have a positive or negative reaction to that information? Flowers and skunks should be equally neutral, right? Or is he just commenting based on a knowledge of what smells humans find pleasant or objectionable? Is he just being conversational knowing what the people around him are smelling,</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that you just nailed the answer on the head.

In some episodes, we see KITT analyze various chemical compounds that are in the air and appear on the monitor. In others, there are references to smells. Since KITT can't truly "smell", such stemuli would be done by devices that detect various chemicals and substances, translating them into electronic impulses (then again, that's something along the lines of how biological noses work, too...) and running through databases and such for identification, this giving KITT's Black Box CPU's the raw data to interpretate into the fact "that something stinks."

Why the devil Knight Rider 2000 claims that KITT "couldn't smell" boggles my mind on a constant fact level. Of course, on a creative writer's level, it makes perfect sense...KR2K's writer didn't get all the original facts straight and thus wrote in falsehoods to fit in with the flow of the story.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:11 pm

Umm in KR2K KITT could smell. He indicated Shawn's brand of perfume, Desire, to be "quite alluring."

-Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jup:
<STRONG>
Why the devil Knight Rider 2000 claims that KITT "couldn't smell" boggles my mind on a constant fact level. Of course, on a creative writer's level, it makes perfect sense...KR2K's writer didn't get all the original facts straight and thus wrote in falsehoods to fit in with the flow of the story.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:12 pm

Hence....the aromanometer.

knightimmortal

BabsBunny
Rookie

KITT's sense of smell

Post by BabsBunny » Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:06 pm

*snickers, envisioning KITT encountering Pepe Le Pew*

KITT: Pew! That stink is enough to melt the paint right off my chassis!

Pepe: (innocently) Non, non. Not Pew.. LE Pew! Pepe LE Pew is mah name!

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Babs Bunny ]

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightshade » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jup:
<STRONG>

Since KITT can't truly "smell", such stemuli would be done by devices that detect various chemicals and substances, translating them into electronic impulses (then again, that's something along the lines of how biological noses work, too...) and running through databases and such for identification, this giving KITT's Black Box CPU's the raw data to interpretate into the fact "that something stinks."

.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

::sigh: Yeah, I know that's probably how it works. I was actually hoping for a more philiosophical and less technical discussion on it (where's Sad Article when you need her [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]). I was thinking about the old movie D.A.R.Y.L. and how the scientists were confused when he (robot kid for those of you who haven't seen it) expressed a preference for chocolate ice cream over vanilla ice cream -- despite the fact that there was no logical basis for him to do that. It was one way that they showed how he had become more human than his programming was supposed to allow. I guess I was thinking of it from that perspective.

In other words, did Kitt really have a preference (fishy scuba gear bad) or was he just following a rote set of rules (if people think bad then bad). I guess my question was more, could he really have developed his own preferences for something so subjective as smell.

Don't mind me.

-ks

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:09 pm

Over time, with what had already been established for him, he might have very well developed his own preferences just from the evolution of his own senses. The sub variations that were established within his own personality within other senses were shown on occasion, such as the visual aesthetics of Michael's clothing. (Ex. when he talked about the classic tuxedeo at one point.) He also had his own opinions about music, which were derived from obviously Devon's template, but were enhanced by Knight Song when he started to seemingly take a like to the kids' music. (Though he preferred classical overall.) So I can guess that just like we do, we get the base set of ick and ooo, and go from there. KITT did the same, probably just from the evolution of his own programming and pre-programmed evolving personality.

I'm probably wrong again.

knightimmortal

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

KITT's sense of smell

Post by jup » Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:18 am

<STRONG>I was actually hoping for a more philiosophical and less technical discussion on it...

In other words, did Kitt really have a preference (fishy scuba gear bad) or was he just following a rote set of rules (if people think bad then bad). I guess my question was more, could he really have developed his own preferences for something so subjective as smell.

-ks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see why not. After all, did KITT not start to favor the color red over black, if only for a moment? And, didn't KITT "enjoy" going extremely fast for no reason, except just to do it? Also, didn't KITT fear high altitude flight? Favored chess moves and music? Certain games? Various road conditions? (OK. I'm stretching for examples, now.) So, I don't see why he wouldn't favor some chemical compound mixtures over others. (Digital smell.)

Oh, and on my other reply, I meant to say "...KITT couldn't ORIGINALLY smell...". What a terribly key word to exclude.

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightshade » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:04 am

<STRONG>

I don't see why not. After all, did KITT not start to favor the color red over black, if only for a moment? And, didn't KITT "enjoy" going extremely fast for no reason, except just to do it? Also, didn't KITT fear high altitude flight? Favored chess moves and music? Certain games? Various road conditions? (OK. I'm stretching for examples, now.) So, I don't see why he wouldn't favor some chemical compound mixtures over others. (Digital smell.)

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh, but see most of your examples are not purely subjective. Kitt would have good logical reasons for preferring a smoother road where his systems operate optimally or certain games that were actually challenging to him or certain chess moves that were statistically shown to lead to more wins. As for his fear of flying, they did say that he was programmed with it (bad Bonnie [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]) so that's out of the relm of a 'choice.'

But preferring black over red would probably be a good example. Music would as well. You might be able to come up with some reasons why black would be a better color than red (not standing out so much -- drawing less attention or being less memorable to witnesses) but its hard to find a logical reason to prefer one kind of music over another.

I think its fair to say that he learned enough about human behavior to make judgments beyond the basics that he was programmed with. And per Killer Kitt he did have a rather petulant preference for classical music over marches.

So maybe he did have preferences that went beyond what he was programmed with, but smell seems an odd one. Why would they take the time to give him a program with a database for what smells are objectionable to people? Seems rather trivial for him to have a preference for something like that.

Just tossing out ideas.

QuickCheetah
Volunteer

KITT's sense of smell

Post by QuickCheetah » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babs Bunny:
<STRONG>*snickers, envisioning KITT encountering Pepe Le Pew*

KITT: Pew! That stink is enough to melt the paint right off my chassis!

Pepe: (innocently) Non, non. Not Pew.. LE Pew! Pepe LE Pew is mah name!

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Babs Bunny ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah geez, Babs, you beat me to it!

I can just see this: KITT comes up to a skunk on the side of the road. The skunk, being in an incredibly bad mood, sprays. KITT immediately pulls an abrupt U-turn and hauls chassis down the road as fast as his tires can take him.

SadArticle
Operative

KITT's sense of smell

Post by SadArticle » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:00 pm

<STRONG>

::sigh: Yeah, I know that's probably how it works. I was actually hoping for a more philiosophical and less technical discussion on it (where's Sad Article when you need her [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]).

-ks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm here, I just skipped a beat on the lurking front and missed this thread [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My opinion on the Return to Cadiz example would be a vanity-inspired reasoning. No logic behind it, because this thread has me stumped, but Kitt was always very protective of his upholstery, so maybe he was worried about the odour seeping into his seating? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] I think I'm imposing my own quirks onto the poor car there, but it's a guess anyway.

Non-wonderful world of Knight Rider, I think it was just a reinforcement of Kitt's personality. He was a bit of a proud snob at times, and fish odour no doubt ranked up there with Michael's music and paint jobs [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Sarah (Having to sit down with a glass of something medicinal after posting twice in an evening)

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

KITT's sense of smell

Post by knightshade » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SadArticle:
<STRONG>

My opinion on the Return to Cadiz example would be a vanity-inspired reasoning. No logic behind it, because this thread has me stumped, but Kitt was always very protective of his upholstery, so maybe he was worried about the odour seeping into his seating? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] I think I'm imposing my own quirks onto the poor car there, but it's a guess anyway.

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

::waves::

Well, now there's something I hadn't thought of. And Kitt was a bit concerned about his upholstery. I guess that then falls to a logic reason why he wouldn't like that smell (if people thought it was bad and they smelled it in him, well, Kitt wouldn't want to smell bad).

btw, it snowed in Chicago today (hint, hint) [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:28 pm

I've always thought of Kitt as being programmed with all of Devins likes and dislikes. :-)
He like classical music becasue its structured and reserved as a pose to R&R which is wild and free. He likes fine art for much the same reasons.

Basically Kitts an upper-class snob [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So it follows that anything picked up on any one of his many scanners and sensers, which di not meet his standards...i.e. fish smells would result in some kind of remark from Kitt.

SadArticle
Operative

KITT's sense of smell

Post by SadArticle » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:15 am

<STRONG>

btw, it snowed in Chicago today (hint, hint) [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That story is so going to be an anti-climax, if it's ever completed. If being the operative word .. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

And I'm moving to Chicago, that's it. The UK doesn't get decent snowfall anymore, it's not fair. For a country renowned for gloomy weather, we're denied the very sort that has the highest whinge-factor [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Sarah

Dreamchild
Volunteer

KITT's sense of smell

Post by Dreamchild » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:33 am

I think that a lot of Kitt's reactions came from his desire to be close to Michael (bear with me here). It was obvious that Kitt was always designed to be slightly snobbish (as was Karr, hmmmm). However I feel that as he developed his own personality, and got closer to his driver, he decided (perhaps subconsciously - if such a thing can be said of Kitt) that the best way to cultivate that relationship was to be in slight conflict with Michael rather than agreeing with him all the time. After all, it was through all the minor bickering that we saw how close they were.

Well that's I what think. I feel I ought to go outside for a while now to remind myself that it IS really just a telly programme.
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Waves to SadArticle~

Calum