KARR and Optimus Prime

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Arjun
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KARR and Optimus Prime

Post by Arjun » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:17 am

Could there be similarities between KARR and Optimus Prime? Just an unusual idea, since they both have the same voice actor and machines that can talk, think and have a mind of their own. A short while back, a few said that KARR was "stupid, arrogant and confused" or some such thing. Then you try to imagine, or even imitate some Optimus quotes, such as, "One shall stand, and one shall fall", and compare them with KARR, you do find a few similarities, though Optimus Prime was more intelligent. One can even think of a mock conversation between KARR and Optimus Prime, or what would happen if KARR was given life the way all the Transformers were.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:41 pm

I don't think that anybody said that KARR was stupid, or arrogant. Confused, yes, because nobody gave him the information to deal with life properly. But being confused does not make anybody or anything stupid or arrogant.

KI

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:48 pm

Not everyone. I just gave an example. "Arrogant" or "Stupid" is one of the many ways a fan would describe KARR. Not my own. Just found it in another thread. "Ambivalent" is how someone else described KARR. Of course, not too many of them can be used for the other machine.

It also has something to do with the tone of voice. You have KARR saying "Your lives mean nothing to me" and Optimus Prime saying "One shall stand....and one shall fall", which do sound rather similar. Of course, one is just trying to scare, while the other is a statement, before a battle (one of many).

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm

Hmm, that's interesting, no fan who speaks English well would ever call KARR stupid. I also did a search through the entire board, and not once has there ever been a reference to KARR being 'stupid'.

Regardless, KARR and Optimus Prime seemed to have the same characteristics, in many cases, both were strong willed, both were a little dark, and both wanted power for themselves.

KI

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:47 am

You can try these sounds-

"I am one of a kind!"-KARR
"One shall stand, one, shall fall!"- Optimus Prime

Both sound very similar, especially if you play them one after another.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:06 am

What do you expect, they are voiced by the same person (Peter Cullen) :roll: theres only so much deviation of a robot voice that one person can do.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with KI, I can't remember anyone calling KARR stupid. KARR at the start simply lacked information on the outside world. I could see this as being thought of as stupid but its like saying a baby doesn't know anything, it isn't stupid.

With regards to similarities with Optimus and KARR, theres one simple thing that differentiates them. Op was willing to sacrifice himself for the good of his race and his fellow Autobots, where as KARR was only looking out for himself. Optimus never really wanted power or leadership, but he took it on for the good of his race, and to attain peace.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:38 am

What do you expect, they are voiced by the same person (Peter Cullen) theres only so much deviation of a robot voice that one person can do.
That is why I intentionally selected these 2 lines. No point saying something about KARR's chicken and eggs, then Optimus' heroes and memories. Besides, if I mixed the 2 lines an added more KARR and O-Prime quotes, without saying who says what, it would sound the same.
With regards to similarities with Optimus and KARR, theres one simple thing that differentiates them. Op was willing to sacrifice himself for the good of his race and his fellow Autobots, where as KARR was only looking out for himself. Optimus never really wanted power or leadership, but he took it on for the good of his race, and to attain peace.
You can select some of KARR's scary, intimidating, strong-worded lines, then those authoritative, aggressive quotes of Optimus Prime, then imagine, or even listen to both together, you will find something in common.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:42 am

But thats what I was saying, KARR and optimus are the one and same voice, thus they will sound pretty much the same, given the circumstances :roll:

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:50 pm

I think there's a superficial similarity in the voice tones used, since they're both played by Peter Cullen, but I think it pretty much ends there. As I remember Optimus, yes, he could be a little intimidating or threatening, but he really was a good guy, as opposed to KARR. Prime also had to be tough and strong to keep his own guys in line, as I seem to remember some of them getting into trouble from time to time. Without working together, they couldn't have beaten the Decepticons all the time. Of course, it's been years upon years since I watched that show, so I'm a little rusty on it, but I did watch faithfully when I was little. :)

DK

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:22 pm

KARR is stupid.

Sorry. Someone had to say it. :lol:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:28 pm

Why?

KI

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:41 pm

you mean intellectually or just stupid? cause if you mean stupid when KARR was getting irritated by the moronic voice at the 3 rings fast food restaurant... and didn't know it was just a guy with a mic inside.. he's a computer.. shut off from the world. he wasn't able to experience these things..

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:33 pm

knightimmortal wrote:Why?

KI
Because no one was supposed to call him stupid. I was kidding. 8)