is K.I.T.T gay?

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Greekotilley
Stranger

is K.I.T.T gay?

Post by Greekotilley » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:56 pm

i'm a huge fan of knightrider, but when watching i couldn't help but think that maybe k.i.t.t was a little 'too' close to michael. does anyone else agree?

lofer
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by lofer » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:07 pm

a lot of discussions about this... maybe can be "gay" in the first season... anybody thinks different?
http://www.elcochefantastico.net

... un hombre que no existe en un mundo lleno de peligros ...

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:12 pm

The obviously answer is no. KITT's a computer, he's technically not even a "he". The more debatable question is "are there any hidden romantic overtures or inuendos between KITT and Michael?" If you've seen Automan, there were quite a few things which could be thought of as homosexual references. Intentional or not, it sort of plays out that way.

In Knight Rider's case, I don't think it's true. KITT and Michael's relationship was pretty much the same as with any other buddy cop show that had two male leads. I don't think there were any hidden overtures in Miami Vice, Adam 12, or Knight Rider.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

morehen
Stranger

Post by morehen » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:33 pm

nah he must be gay...

Mikko L
Rookie

Post by Mikko L » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:08 pm

Well, he didn't like KARR that much.. so I'm not sure about KITT's sexuality. :P

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:19 pm

I was going to go with the whole "of course he is gay! he is happy and free!" but I digress...

Well what are your reasons morehen? You come on the board and your very first post you claim this, but with nothing to back it up to support your theory?

If you are thinking KITT had homosexual undertones, it makes me think that recently it seems that people can't read well enough alone and have to look into things for "hidden meanings" and "subtext." This has happened recently with the questioning of Sam and Frodo's relationship in the Lord of the Rings. Can't two people be friends without it having to dive into this conversation? I guess I can't understand this need to break everything apart and grasp at straws for clues. Can't we leave well enough alone? It's kinda sad.

Can KITT be even defined as a he? what defines a he? is it sexual organs, of which I'm sure KITT has none. KITT and Michael had a strong bond of friendship, that was perhaps a type of love. Each would probably give their life to save the other.

Isn't the term "Friend" good enough?

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:59 pm

Well NBC by mid season of season 2 was concerned that Michael and KITT were having a gay relationship. NBC was very uncomfortable with Michael's catch phrase for when he was in trouble: "KITT, I need ya!" I read an article about it. Here's a quote: "the network became concerned about the nature of Michael and K.I.T.T.'s relationship. Tom Greene remembers: "The network were afraid that Michael and K.I.T.T. were having a gay relationship! If you remember they looked after each other, and K.I.T.T. was a bit prissy, sort of like Felix Unger of Odd Couple fame... Michael being a macho-slob like Oscar. The network at first were very uncomfortable with Michael's soon-to-be trademark 'cry' when in trouble: 'K.I.T.T., I need you!'"
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/007 ... n2/211.htm

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:14 pm

Well done, RMK.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:43 pm

And it's all a load of crap. From the network and from you.

Why can't they just be friends? As neps said.

I also believe they were worried about the Turbo Boost to which Michael commented "you're hot!"

Also stupid. I believe many, if not all of us have referred to a "hot car"
KITT definately fit that description. KITT is sexless, "it" is neuter, and most importantly, KITT'S A CAR!!!!!!

He happened to have a male voice. How come no one ever accuses someone in Star Trek of falling in love with the *female* computer?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:02 pm

I think you could safely say that despite Kitt being a computer, his gender was male (gender being a series of traits associated with a sex -- yes I took a few too many psych courses in college). His sex, well, as was said before, he didn't have any organs.

As to him being gay, I'll throw out an interpretation and anyone can take it for what it's worth (probably about a penny -- maybe two for these thoughts :D ). You know how women are allowed much more leeway in our society in how they can interact with their friends? A woman can say another woman is beautiful without it meaning that she's physically attracted to her. Woman are more free to hug or cry together. I even had friends in college who held hands sometimes and they weren't gay. Society seems to drill this severe fear of being labeled gay into men. So I think that Kitt being a computer freed the writers up to not follow that code so strictly. They could be a bit like the Odd Couple and be a little more open or demonstrative with each other because, hey, Kitt's a computer, right? And Michael had all his women, in case anyone wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure they didn't mean for them to be gay. I think it just allowed a different level of male friendship than is often seen.

In either case, I think that the studios worrying about the phrase "I need you buddy," is going out on a pretty paranoid limb. :D

KnightRider2000
Operative

KITT

Post by KnightRider2000 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:34 pm

According a writer of the show, they put that stuff as a joke, and it got past censors. Read Knight Rider Legacy for the full summary.

-KnightRider2000

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:41 pm

Well, in regards to the web site, I would have to disagree with them. I think someone was trying to spice up a script maybe a bit much...However, like Jerry Springer shows, writers and directors try to spice up things to bring in viewers. Not usually the smart thing to do, but they love to do it. Also keep in mind that people like to drum up stuff from nothing and in this case, I would say that a mountain was created from a ant farm (yea, I know, thats not how that goes).

Besides, my opinion is that KITT is too much A-sexual..... but just my opinion.

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:54 am

Well just imagine if kitt pulled up to the rear of a camaro and asked K.I.T.T. :Micheal...well what do ya think?...should I ask her out for gas?"

....ohh well atleast micheal and kitt never pulled up to a rolls royce and asked for grey poupon?....lol :lol:...as a matter of fact nobody ever does that anymore! :kittspin:
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

Knight Newbie
Volunteer

Post by Knight Newbie » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:52 am

To put it Bluntly, This is the "Gayist" post I have ever seen on here.
And yes I do defend Michael knight and Kitt on a daily basis.

You are asking a question in 2004 about media that was created in the early 1980's. Of course there is a different viewpoint now. I think most of the comments made in that show were made to be revelent in that specific time frame. not 20+ years later.

Just remember when Michael Jackson released his thriller album and his leather jacket was the coolest thing on earth. Remeber how bad you wanted one. Throw one on now, and see how people react to you....
(get my point)

If I don't make any sense, get over it.

Tony
Rookie

Post by Tony » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:44 am

Knight Newbie wrote:To put it Bluntly, This is the "Gayist" post I have ever seen on here.

You are asking a question in 2004 about media that was created in the early 1980's. Of course there is a different viewpoint now. I think most of the comments made in that show were made to be revelent in that specific time frame. not 20+ years later.

Just remember when Michael Jackson released his thriller album and his leather jacket was the coolest thing on earth. Remeber how bad you wanted one. Throw one on now, and see how people react to you....
(get my point)

I totally agree with Knight Newbie . Knight Rider was created 22 years ago.
Lets talk about Don Johnson's "pink shirt" in Miami Vice. Back then it was cool. But if you wore a pink shirt now, people would think you were gay.
So I think KITT is no where near being gay. KITT was a computer with no sexual feelings what so ever. "IT" was not gay.

Tony

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:53 pm

First of all this whole gay thinng makes no scense .

I dont know if some one said this yet But I know KITT is NOT gay .

He just protects Michel cause he was programed to and even Over Rides his commands (NOT THAT WAYlol :lol: ) when his risking his life for a turbo or something .

and Second , one time Bonnie was add or fixing something in the front of kitt and u can here kitt saying "Higher , no...lower ahhh.. yes thats it."

and most gay men probaly are so gay that they probaly find Women to look like aliens lol .

and also why u hating on kitt !?!?! :?:

Look at michal and how he dressed back then , Cowboy boots and tight jeans . but he got mad women .

KITTs the real star anyway .
At least i think so . but i respect ur thoughts

Benjamin Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Benjamin Knight » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:56 pm

I think to say KITT was gay would be to quick to judge! As others have said, females have more freedom with there friends... KITT and Micheal were just close friends. I don't think they were ever gay... I mean, a man and his car... But I personnally think this thread is a foolish waste, it makes the board look a little "strange" if you ask me. KITT is a computer... Besides he would like attractive female convertables with there tops off... :shocked: Sorry, couldn't hold back with that old joke...

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:21 pm

I bet kitt could have swoon more girls than micheal with his voice and all. ;)
Knight Industries Defence One

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:25 am

I think Michael said it best in the Pilot:

"It is an IT, not a HE! Don't ever forget that."

Sex is determined by genitalia; thus we have males, females and, erm, hermaphrodites and I guess asexual people (or at least, people with neither genitalia).

Bacteria that have neither are asexual. Some animals have both.

Genes also determine sex.

But anyhoo, my point is, you can't give KITT a sex. He wasn't male just because of his voice. They could have equally well given KITT a female voice. But he had nothing to make him male or female.

I guess you could draw parallels with God. People refer to God as He. Some refer to God as She. Personally, I believe either is better than 'IT'.

But then again, I can contradict myself and say that KITT, although he had no true gender, may have had a personality and if such was male-orientated. ie he acted like a human male would act. But is having a male mind the same as BEING a male? (which is different from being a MAN in my POV!)

Confused.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:01 am

True.

But wouldn't KITT's personallity result from imput givien to him by his technicians/builders (not just Bonnie).

I am assuming from Junk Yard Dog, most the techs were male. So the male personallity would have been incoded into him indirectly.

It's like a male child who is rasied by a single female parent. That child may develop certain feminine qualities with his personality but remain completley heterosexual. There is a big difference between the internal and outward appearance in a person.

However, these are human people we are dealing with. Knight 2000 stated it best. Machines are its. No gender difference, no gender. KITT's outward male personality is more than likely the result of his programming. Many have pointed out that KITT did not posses true AI (I know I'm asking for trouble now), so his "maleness" would be nothing more than a series of 1 and 0's or encoded observations.

I imagine a true AI would find the concept of gender irrelevant and tend not to lean to one side or the other.

So basically I guess what I am trying to say is no :)
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

babifrence
Volunteer

Post by babifrence » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:05 pm

Hiya Peeps,
neps wrote:I was going to go with the whole "of course he is gay! he is happy and free!" but I digress...

Well what are your reasons morehen? You come on the board and your very first post you claim this, but with nothing to back it up to support your theory?

If you are thinking KITT had homosexual undertones, it makes me think that recently it seems that people can't read well enough alone and have to look into things for "hidden meanings" and "subtext." This has happened recently with the questioning of Sam and Frodo's relationship in the Lord of the Rings. Can't two people be friends without it having to dive into this conversation? I guess I can't understand this need to break everything apart and grasp at straws for clues. Can't we leave well enough alone? It's kinda sad.

Can KITT be even defined as a he? what defines a he? is it sexual organs, of which I'm sure KITT has none. KITT and Michael had a strong bond of friendship, that was perhaps a type of love. Each would probably give their life to save the other.

Isn't the term "Friend" good enough?
cloudkitt wrote:And it's all a load of crap. From the network and from you.

Why can't they just be friends? As neps said.

I also believe they were worried about the Turbo Boost to which Michael commented "you're hot!"

Also stupid. I believe many, if not all of us have referred to a "hot car"
KITT definately fit that description. KITT is sexless, "it" is neuter, and most importantly, KITT'S A CAR!!!!!!

He happened to have a male voice. How come no one ever accuses someone in Star Trek of falling in love with the *female* computer?
knightshade wrote:I think you could safely say that despite Kitt being a computer, his gender was male (gender being a series of traits associated with a sex -- yes I took a few too many psych courses in college). His sex, well, as was said before, he didn't have any organs.

As to him being gay, I'll throw out an interpretation and anyone can take it for what it's worth (probably about a penny -- maybe two for these thoughts :D ). You know how women are allowed much more leeway in our society in how they can interact with their friends? A woman can say another woman is beautiful without it meaning that she's physically attracted to her. Woman are more free to hug or cry together. I even had friends in college who held hands sometimes and they weren't gay. Society seems to drill this severe fear of being labeled gay into men. So I think that Kitt being a computer freed the writers up to not follow that code so strictly. They could be a bit like the Odd Couple and be a little more open or demonstrative with each other because, hey, Kitt's a computer, right? And Michael had all his women, in case anyone wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure they didn't mean for them to be gay. I think it just allowed a different level of male friendship than is often seen.

In either case, I think that the studios worrying about the phrase "I need you buddy," is going out on a pretty paranoid limb. :D
Knight Newbie wrote:To put it Bluntly, This is the "Gayist" post I have ever seen on here.

(get my point)

Tony wrote:I totally agree with Knight Newbie . Knight Rider was created 22 years ago.
Lets talk about Don Johnson's "pink shirt" in Miami Vice. Back then it was cool. But if you wore a pink shirt now, people would think you were gay.
So I think KITT is no where near being gay. KITT was a computer with no sexual feelings what so ever. "IT" was not gay.

Tony
dragonball1957 wrote:First of all this whole gay thinng makes no scense .

I dont know if some one said this yet But I know KITT is NOT gay .

He just protects Michel cause he was programed to and even Over Rides his commands (NOT THAT WAYlol :lol: ) when his risking his life for a turbo or something .

and Second , one time Bonnie was add or fixing something in the front of kitt and u can here kitt saying "Higher , no...lower ahhh.. yes thats it."

and most gay men probaly are so gay that they probaly find Women to look like aliens lol .

and also why u hating on kitt !?!?! :?:

Look at michal and how he dressed back then , Cowboy boots and tight jeans . but he got mad women .

KITTs the real star anyway .
At least i think so . but i respect ur thoughts
Benjamin Knight wrote:I think to say KITT was gay would be to quick to judge! As others have said, females have more freedom with there friends... KITT and Micheal were just close friends. I don't think they were ever gay... I mean, a man and his car... But I personnally think this thread is a foolish waste, it makes the board look a little "strange" if you ask me. KITT is a computer... Besides he would like attractive female convertables with there tops off... :shocked: Sorry, couldn't hold back with that old joke...
kido wrote:I bet kitt could have swoon more girls than micheal with his voice and all. ;)

I hate to sound like a broken record but each of the people who have been quoted make perfect sense. Particularly Neps's argument which caught my eye.

Due to societies ridicule at guys hugging etc... people automatically assume a homosexual nature. These days I think its to do with ones own parranoia. I hate the fact that some guys think that hugging and greeting each other (like most middle-eastern people do) is soo "gay" - its not, and far from it too.

People feel soo comfortable labelling people. Nobody ever called "Greekotilley" a homo !!! Im not picking on you but Im using you as a prime example because you appear to have started this thread in the first place.

Whats wrong with having a really close friendship with a male. Not everything is about sex and homosexual intentions. It is possible for 2 males to have a purely plutonic friendship. Dont some of you ? Before some of you are quick to judge, I think people who have got these ideas should have a real close look at their own personality and deal with their own insecurities.

PEACE OUT !!!

PS Just in case any of you are wondering, I am not homosexual. Im just saying its not fair to criticise others particularly when your picking on a computer whos AI belongs to a car !!!!!

kido
Operative

Post by kido » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:31 pm

Besides in the comics,Kitt had a girlfrend once I think.;)
Knight Industries Defence One

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:32 pm

See one thing about us men, under our rough exteriors are emotionally sensitive souls. Where as women are more open about it. Men must keep it secret. But when we do have to open up to someone. We tend to go to our female friends, and not our male buddies. KITT is no doubt sensitive, but does this make him gay? No! See, any man who is sensitive is instantly labled as a homosexual in our society. I hope one day this will change.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:46 am

The Real Michael Knight wrote:See one thing about us men, under our rough exteriors are emotionally sensitive souls.
Real Michael Knight, I love you man.

Can I have your Bud Light?

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:38 am

kido wrote:Besides in the comics,Kitt had a girlfrend once I think.;)
Yes, yes he did. http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/007 ... match1.htm :D