Knight Rider for PS2

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sonicfreak
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Sonicfreak » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:06 pm

I have bought Knight Rider for the PS2 now. I also own the PC version. Time for a comparison. Well, the controls of the PS2 version are slightly better. The reflections on KITT's body are correct (in the PC version you could see KITT in his own body). KITT's engine sounds better now. In the PC version KITT's engine makes a lot of noise even when you drive slowly. In the PS2 version the engine sounds just fine.

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:56 pm

Then I guess that the patch for the PC version must be on it's way.
crosses fingers.

Keon
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Keon » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:18 pm

Hi, now when it comes to Knight Rider and Knight Rider related things I have somewhat of a long memory. I dont' know how many of you remember or seen the television series Marcus Welby M.D., (which was also produced by Universal Studios) I remember watching an episode of it a while back. and in the beginning of the episode one of the characters was coming in from a flight, and when they showed the plane coming in for a landing you heard the exact same jet engine sound effect used for the plane as they used for KITT. and this episode had to have been from the early 1970s. What do you think about that? [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:12 pm

Hm...wasn't the Delorean's engine sound from Back to the Future similar to Knight Rider too?

Keon
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Keon » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:49 pm

im not sure about the Delorean

DaveHarries
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by DaveHarries » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:46 pm

The Delorean engine was similar.. and just like the Trans Am, sounded nothing like the real engine. The Delorean Time Machine sounded like it had a jet engine.. a real Delorean sounds more like a Ford Fiesta.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:35 pm

Knight Rider reused many things from other productions, and many things were reused from it. It is a very longstanding tradition in series TV it seems, to take from one and give to the other.

Examples brought up in the past:

-The A-Team Van sounds just like KITT.
-Several props including the semi, KITT's computers, and KITT's diagnostic equipment show up in other shows.
-Storylines from KR came from other places, and in turn, storylines from KR shop up elsewhere.

And back to the original topic: well, I guess those with the PC are automatically going to have a bit of a difference, since PC's were not specifically made with gaming in mind. Good to know the PS2 version is cool. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by krfan1 » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:41 am

I think tyrell is referring to KITT's SPM turbine sound, not his regular turbine engine.

Nick

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: krfan1 ]

Keon
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Keon » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:12 am

I havent heard the SPM sound anywhere else, not to say it hasn't been used anywhere else. However I am positive that the KITTS regular turbine engine was used in that 30 year old episode. If you think about it a little it could be used for a 747. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Keon
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Keon » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:02 am

please disregard that frown on my last post I think I hit that by accident.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:06 am

probably one of the other main sources of knight rider sound effects in Airwolf.

watching it yesterday, somebody fired heat seekers at Airwolf and the missles used KITT's usual turbine sound, and also in another episode an Areoplane they were all in was using it too. Also, most of Airwolf's functions had the same beeps and sounds KITT's dash makes.

but get this, ive heard SPM sfx in season 1 of knight rider, in the Topaz Connection. when they pull up along side the plane and lauren gets kidnapped, the plane's engines are on and sound exactly like KITT when he's in SPM

scott

Sonicfreak
Recruit

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by Sonicfreak » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:13 pm

Back to the original topic. Knight Rider on the PS2 is tougher than the PC version. You really have to use night vision in the mine shafts to see where you're going. KITT's turboboost sound is slightly different.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by K.I.T.T » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:24 am

A possible nit pick there Scott!!! Nice find!!

K.I.T.T

K.A.R.R. Fan
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by K.A.R.R. Fan » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:15 am

Hi

i definitely know where KITTs jet sound comes from (in the TV series). It is from the TV series BATTLESTAR GALACTICA! If some of you have the BG movie on tape, watch the flight sequences, e.g. when Apollo or Starbuck are shown in the cockpit. Its exactly the same sound. KITTs scanner sound was taken from the Cylons (which have the scanner as eyes!) Nearly all sounds from KR
are taken from BG.

KI2000PA
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by KI2000PA » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:02 am

Here is a nice bit of information for Knight Rider fans, try this (I found it out purely by accident): Take a micro-cassette recorder (hand held of course) and put your "Knight Of The Phoenix" episode tape in your VCR and cue it up to the point just as Michael goes into the building where KITT is about to be activated for the first time. Select half speed on the micro-cassette recorder and record KITT's entire scanner sound, then set the micro cassette recorder back to normal speed and what do you hear?
BIRD SONG, KITT's scanner sound in the pilot and I believe even AFTER it is actually the sounds of the songs of a bird SLOWED DOWN. I can't tell you just WHICH bird it is that makes this particular sound but it is unmistakably the song of a bird used for KITT's scanner in the pilot. Do exactly what I outlined here and see for yourself, but make sure you use a 2 speed micro cassette recorder if you have one.(Just my little contribution to the KR community here)

K.I.F.T.
Volunteer

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by K.I.F.T. » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard L. Griffith, Jr.:
<STRONG>Here is a nice bit of information for Knight Rider fans, try this (I found it out purely by accident): Take a micro-cassette recorder (hand held of course) and put your "Knight Of The Phoenix" episode tape in your VCR and cue it up to the point just as Michael goes into the building where KITT is about to be activated for the first time. Select half speed on the micro-cassette recorder and record KITT's entire scanner sound, then set the micro cassette recorder back to normal speed and what do you hear?
BIRD SONG, KITT's scanner sound in the pilot and I believe even AFTER it is actually the sounds of the songs of a bird SLOWED DOWN. I can't tell you just WHICH bird it is that makes this particular sound but it is unmistakably the song of a bird used for KITT's scanner in the pilot. Do exactly what I outlined here and see for yourself, but make sure you use a 2 speed micro cassette recorder if you have one.(Just my little contribution to the KR community here)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's cool! it actrually reminds me of how they got that COOL sound for Dr. Who's Tardis. For those of you who don't what the sound is from I'll fill you in.

What's remarkale is that the technique used is similar to that used for KITTs scanner sound.

They dropped a set of keys into water and slowed the sound down untill they came to what we now know as the Tardis De/Rematerialization sound.

My little contribution [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img].

CK
Operative

Knight Rider for PS2

Post by CK » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:40 pm

Can anybody make a sound clip of that "scanner bird" [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] sound?

Cheri