KITTs operating system

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITTs operating system

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:38 am

Do you think the new KITT will have windows XP as its operating system? :-)

It will obviously have internet connections...I wander if Kitt will use Netscape or I.E?

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

KITTs operating system

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:53 am

If he had windows he would shut down every 2 hours. And he would also have blue screens all the time! Michael would get dizzy! [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

KITTs operating system

Post by KITTfan » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:08 pm

Where would KITT need a Windows? KITT can take voicecommands and print data out with speech or show it on tv-screen(-s).

I think KITT's operating system is foolproof as long as the circuits are ok, as I remember KITT had malfunctions when he was hit by Goliath and in "Knight of the Juggernaut" when his electronics were damaged.

-KITTfan-

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITTs operating system

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:25 pm

If KITT doesn't have his own operating system, then right off, the producers have screwed the pooch. No commercial operating system of today would run an AI without crashing. Of course, they could always have this cute scene of KITT dissing Microsoft, or for that matter, crucifying both PC's and Macs, just for sport.

knightimmortal

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

KITTs operating system

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:46 pm

As cool as Bill Gates thinks he is, software technology at KITT's level is way out of his league. I don't think he can handle, or really wants for that matter, the next level of computer software. Leave that to some brave newcomer who is lurking in the shadows somewhere ready to shock the world. KITT's day will come.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

KITTs operating system

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:03 pm

I can just imagine Micheal pressing the turbo boost button and seeing the dreeded "this function has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" LOL

Or having Micheal pull over to the side of the road twice a day to "reboot" Kitt :-)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

KITTs operating system

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:04 pm

Actually, come to think of it...

Can anyone recall ever hearing the term "Operating system" used in KR?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

KITTs operating system

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>If KITT doesn't have his own operating system, then right off, the producers have screwed the pooch. No commercial operating system of today would run an AI without crashing. Of course, they could always have this cute scene of KITT dissing Microsoft, or for that matter, crucifying both PC's and Macs, just for sport.

knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats funny kitt dissing Pc and Macs.That kind of reminds me of when Kitt was about to race in the episode Knight In The Fast Lane and says,"That car isn't fit so shine my bumper."

Skav
FLAG Operative

KITTs operating system

Post by Skav » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:35 pm

"to shine" not "so shine" but i am guessing you made a typo error.

Skav

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

KITTs operating system

Post by krfan1 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:09 pm

It KITT had to run on a current operating system out there, it would be Linux- far more stable and has the newest technologies before Windows.

Nick

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

KITTs operating system

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:29 am

KITT would probably have a special operating system, one which wouldn't crash and doesn't need a mouse or anything. Just like in the original KR series.

However, this post does remind me of a 3D video clip I once saw of Airwolf starting up, with Dom's monitor showing the Windows boot-up display, and the Windows start-up sound once she was ready to take off.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

KITTs operating system

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:53 am

I'd say that predicting what kind of OS KITT would have would be like the Wright Brothers predicting what kind of engine the space shuttle should have.

Mike

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

KITTs operating system

Post by DJGM » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
Or having Micheal pull over to the side of the road twice a day to "reboot" Kitt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can just imagine when Bonnie installs a new piece of hardware in KITT, then sets up some
extra software to make it work. The following dialog is then displayed on KITT's monitor . . .

. . . and if it all went totally pear-shaped . . .

--------------------
Last edited by DJGM on Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

KITTs operating system

Post by krfan1 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:38 am

LOL! That's really good pics. I like that.

Nick

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

KITTs operating system

Post by KITTfan » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:09 am

Hehe, that's really funny [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
How about really bad crash, Michael should re-install the whole KITT's OS from the beginning... [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

-KITTfan-

Ghost Rider LSOV
Rookie

KITTs operating system

Post by Ghost Rider LSOV » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:12 am

"Buddy, I am sorry but I will have to format you. No problem though, you won't remember a thing!"
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Ghost Rider LSOV ]

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

KITTs operating system

Post by jup » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:58 pm

Ah, yes. The "magical" OS'es of TV computers.

For the original show, I'd say that there was one of two possible OS situations. Either KITT's (and KARR's) OS was an in-house (FLAG) tweak of DOS OR (Can you believe it?) KITT HAD NO OS. Which would make KITT, much like Pong, completely hardwired at the core. (...the chip board's connected to the...mother board. The mother board's connected to the...)

As for "today's" KITT, I highly imagine he would be running off a (best way to put it) Star Trek OS. (You know...that OS that is so powerful that it can run DOS, Windows, MacOS that OS that just came out of the Omega Prime nebula from a race of people who just uncloaked themselves to the Federation for the first time and said hi, the OS from an outdated alien race whose software is incomplete, yet wants to reconfigure the hardware it's now running on, another outdated OS that comes from a race who died out before the Earth was even formed AND Worf's newest Holo-game, Five-thousand-and-one Whirling Blades of Death, ALL AT THE SAME TIME without needing a new driver or a reboot of any sort...(breath taken)...yet is just friendly enough to run on one of today's modern laptops at full speed, allowing the user to listen in on one of the EMH's latest musical producton numbers. Yea...I'd say that KITT will be running that fantasy OS, alright. Only, it MIGHT look like the interface from the Viper's OS... [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

KITTs operating system

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:03 pm

One of things I noticed is that even with home computers in the movies, operating systems are much more glitzier than in real life. Some SGI boxes and other systems have had some fancy animated interfaces, but your general home computer does have a pretty boring interface compared to movie versions.

But the first time I saw the "Genie" effect in OS X, I thought "wow, that looks like a movie OS". Only this time, it was real.

Mike

Talbot1510GLD
Stranger

KITTs operating system

Post by Talbot1510GLD » Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:56 am

Ok, guys... Why do you keep wondering about the OS? It's definitely going to be Linux. Why? The answer has nothing to do with the fact that I am finnish, just like Linus Torvalds. It's just that I do not think Knight Industries is going to get any **** from Gates like paying for a license to every single computer, when they can cut those expenses and direct more money to the actual development - just by making their own version of Linux. Simple and effective.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

KITTs operating system

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:26 am

I don't think the Foundation would have much trouble coming up with the $99 licensing fee if they wanted to install Windows into KITT. It's not a question of money, it's a question of capability and I don't think any OS of today is prepared to handle an AI system like KITT.

I agree with jup, that rather than installing AI on top of a standard OS, KITT's programming would be firmly integrated into the hardware of the machine.

Mike

kittgirl
Volunteer

KITTs operating system

Post by kittgirl » Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:43 am

Or Kitt using Windows XP...
"This program has made an illegal operation and will be shut down. Do you wish to make an error report and send it to Microsoft? Check yes or cancel"
lol
I get that alot running XP. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

KITTs operating system

Post by jup » Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:15 pm

Come to think of it, if a person was to install "unstable" programs into a vehicle and those programs were responsible for vital vehicular controls, you REALLY ARE going to need something like the MBS protecting the shell of said vehicle! Because, when that vehicle's computer crashes, your car most likely will execute another type of crash. Which is something I bet the insurance companies would really *love*.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

KITTs operating system

Post by Darknight » Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:56 pm

I have long since thought that at KITT's core, he is primarily hard-wired, to prevent most attempts at hacking, and preserve KITT's integrity as an entity. Yet, outside his primary programming, he would have to have flexible and changeable software so that the tech could add or change vital information. Therefore, if someone attempted to enter codes from the outside, that clashed with his primary programming, there would be a clash of directives, and KITT would have a rough time of it, but eventually, he would overcome the false programming. The only way to get around that would be by changing the whole CPU as well as his memory banks...effectively making him another "being" altogether. Why did KITT have some difficulties running the KIFT body? Perhaps his hard wired CPU could't adjust as needed to the later wiring. Of course, one could possibly transfer KITT to an updated CPU by copying his basic info from the original along with his memory into a new chip.

Darknight

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

KITTs operating system

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:06 pm

Soul Survivor (the episode). They do basically have KITT's CPU being removed, and being used without it. They also show Randy putting in a separate CPU to control the system.

So there is something to ponder around. And in KR2K, we do have KITT saying his HARD DRIVE crashed. (I still take THAT with a grain of salt, because it was the first time ever they spoke of a hard drive.)

knightimmortal
(and her amazing points to ponder...ooooo)

KRR
Rookie

KITTs operating system

Post by KRR » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:13 am