How to best solve the Knight Rider Movie problem...

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What series/movie plots should the new Knight Rider movie consider canon?

Only the original "Knight Rider" series. Everything else is crap!
59%
The original series and Knight Rider 2000. They'll figure out how to axe Shawn, Maddock, reinvent KITT and relocate FLAG.
22%
The original series, KR2K and TKR. All 3 were great and nothing needs to be ignored!
4%
The original series and TKR. KR2K sucked the big one but TKR was cool.
2%
Reinvent the series! Pitch everything and start fresh with all new characters, a new plot and a new KITT. Hasselhoff and the original crew need to be retired!
12%

Total votes: 49

March2875
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by March2875 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:31 am

Or Hear Michael's response when the new operative pulls the same stunt Michael used to when He went in against Devon's advice. "What's that Devon, transmissions going bad Here you'll wish me luck huh."

The Real Michael Knight
Operative
Location: Championing the cause of the innocent, the helpess, the powerless

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:04 pm

I hate to say it, but if Patricia won't come back to play Bonnie. Then maybe Rebecca can come back to play April. (We need a mechanic don't we?) I could just hear everyone groaning at that. (including me)

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:18 pm

I'd rather they got a new mechanic than brought back April. No offense to any of Rebecca Holden's fans, just that the fact they brought Bonnie back speaks volumes about which character was a better fit for the show. :)

Cougar
Rookie

Post by Cougar » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:40 pm

I think that because Bonnie was the original is the reason she was the best. And I agree with you Jordan that the movie should be in present day.

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:41 pm

Here is my suggestion for the new KR movie.

Michael stays on till 1990, which is when Devon dies. He just dies or is killed in action, either be it Michaels mistake or just killed.

Michael then leaves the foundation. While Michael is fishing, he is shot with a poision dart. Instead of dying, the foundation cryogentically freezes him, hoping one day to revive him. At this point, both Bonnie and RC leave. KITT has a few replacement drivers, but no one is compatible. It can be explained that RC was KITT's driver for a short time since Michael left.

The foundation therefore retires KITT and places him in the Knight Museum.

Meanwhile, in 200?, the foundation desides to build a new car. They use the blueprints from KARR's original programming, with human preservation at it's main programming, because KARR couldn't care less who is driver was, unlike KITT. It'd be easier to change drivers with KARR's old programming.

Someone on the inside eventually steals the new prototype and the foundation needs someone to get it back, or stop it all together.

They find a cure for Michael and unfreeze him, and reactivate KITT. This is where KITT is upgraded!!! His old systems are no match for the prototype, so he needs to be rebuilt to match it.

It turns out the person who stole the prototype works for the guy who almost killed Michael. This guy was someone Michael busted during the original KR in which the case was never discussed.

In the end, Michael and KITT win, but Michael feels he is too old to carry on and the foundation recruits a new driver, with Michaels help. Michael heads into retirement and thus the new driver will drive KITT in the new series or sequels.

The movie could end with the new driver driving KITT into the desert like they did in the first season with Wilton Knight's commentary.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:42 pm

I do hope Glen Larson has a say so in this movie.

shawn757
Volunteer

Post by shawn757 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:14 am

Hey is there any talk of a new weekly series after this new movie? Or is it just a one time deal?

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:32 am

Considering Glen Larson told Mike Pajaro at the last Battlestar Galactia convention that He was working on a second draft of the script and that it would take awhile. And considering both he and David are the executive producers Id say they will have a lot of say in the movie.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:34 am

At one time David Hasselhoff said their would be a new series and a cartoon. Most recently only the movie has continued to be referred to. We haven't heard anything about it either lately.

shawn757
Volunteer

Post by shawn757 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:13 pm

If there is a new series will DH be a part of it?

KR: the next crusade
Volunteer

Post by KR: the next crusade » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:52 pm

An other suggestion

In my opinion Knight rider fans wants all to re-fall in love with Knight rider. That's why the motion picture have to be very near to the spirit of the original series and original.

My idea: a new version of the pilot with certain elements of the funniest moment of the series and new gadgets.

the plot:
Wilton Knight is a tycoon who created the best o.s. in the world. He's something like Bill Gates but more "sexy". He's 40 years old. He fall in love with Tanya Walker, 28, who shot him when she attempted to stole the original prototype of the o.s.

3 years later, Michael Long, CIA agent is hired to protect Wilton Knight who is threatened by a mysterious organisation directed by Cameron Zachary and Tanya Walker.

Michael Long teams with Muntzy, his best friend since the high school.

Nobody have seen Wilton during threen years except Devon Miles, 65 years old, vice-chairman of Knight Industries and Wilton's tutor for 30 years. Wilton make his first public apparence but he's not the same man. He's on a wheel-chair and he has a cancer.

During their mission of protection, Muntzy is shot by Gray as he was in the pilot and Michael decides to avenge him. but he's shot by Tanya in the desert too.

Wilton Knight cannot prevent Michael attempt of assassination. Wilton make feel guilty. He ask to Bonnie Barstow, a young engineer to relauch THE PROJECT.

Devon and Bonnie don't understand because the prototype was a failure...

Wilton explain his feelings. When he was young he cannot prevent the murder of his parents. Devon was his tutor and when, he was 14, he discovered computers and understood all the capacities and possibilities of these machines.

Michael is on a coma and obtain a new face, the face of the young Wilton Knight.

Wilton explains to Michael he choose him for the mission of protection and explain he wants Tanya and Cameron because the original o.s. was a beta version of THE PROJECT.

Because he's on a wheel-chair and going to die, he searches the man "who can make a difference too" to drive a new supercar called... KITT.

It could be the beginning of a new version of the pilot.

Cast:
KITT: William Daniels
Michael Knight: Hugh Jackman (ten years ago, Mel Gibson should have been an interesting Michael Knight, but he's too old now),
Devon Miles: Michael Caine (so british and looks like Edward Mulhare),
Bonnie Barstow: Kristin Kreuk
Tanya Walker: Jennifer Garner (Tanya will be the anti-Sidney Bristow),
Cameron Zachary: Jean Reno,
Muntzy: Carl Lumbly ( to face to Jennifer Garner)
and David Hasselhoff as... Wilton Knight

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:38 pm

*shudder* Not to be rude, but that would have me demanding my money back, throwing things at the screen, and screaming even louder than when Knight Rider 2010 came on TV.

I am waiting for the day that people get a clue that 're-invention' is an insult to the original fans, and the original fans can scream louder than the newer fans.

KI

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:45 pm

I'd have to disagree and say that re-inventing a series or franchise isn't always a bad thing. It may not always please the hardcore fans, but, if done right, can usually find a good middle ground between making the hardcore fans happy and interesting new viewers. Just look at the most recent wave of cult hits being revamped for the big screen that were blockbusters (and usually not shabby movies in themeselves either in my opinion), such as Charlie's Angels, X-men and The Hulk. Hell, even the original Superman movie in the 1980's had to be adapted from previous TV series and comic books but still went on to spawn 3 sequels and a slew of TV spinoffs (Smallville re-invented the youth of Superman to some extent and it's an excellent show). I agree that going back and messing with a proven formula can sometimes result in disastrous flops, but I don't think that re-inventing Knight Rider would be all bad if they kept certain elements from the original series (even a brief appearance by Hasselhoff as Michael knight would thrill die-hard fans I think, and having William Daniels back as KITT would be awesome, even if it was with a new driver). Finding a way to balance the old with the new is the best bet in my opinion, and yes, it may require re-inventing the franchise, but if they have Larson, Daniels, and Hasselhoff all on board as even just consultants, I think it could nevertheless have a huge chance of succes. I for one, will be standing in line for my tickets at the box office no matter how they make the movie because I'm willing to bet that they'll make sure they don't screw up a potential blockbuster like this. 8)
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:08 pm

You keep forgetting, Knight Rider has been reinvented already, and it still didn't do too well, just ask all those who just LOOOVE *dripping with sarcasm* Team Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2000.

And don't bet too hard, the Hulk in the end has been considered by many to be a flop, many were still disappointed with Charlie's Angels, and the X-Men for the most part wasn't a total reinvention.

Just because an industry sucks a franchise until it screams for help does not make it endeared to fans, it just means that people like their eye candy. And while your optomism is refreshing to observe, reality has a tendency of butting in they could grandly screw up this movie.

KI

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:25 pm

I don't think the X-Men and Hulk movies were really reinventions because they weren't reinventing shows they were just bringing hit comic books to the big screen.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:36 pm

I'd trust Tim Burton to reinvent Knight Rider. It's risky, but sometimes you have to take the risk to get the big payoff. Use Burton's regular players: Johnny Depp as the "Michael" character. Combine the Wilton and Devon characters into one eccentric billionaire calling the shots, played by the brilliantly crazy Christopher Walken. Keep William Daniels as the voice, but downplay (or eliminate) the pesky programming to protect human life. Make Michael & KITT more like vigilantes. Wrap it all up in an ultra-atmospheric, quirky world that Burton is famous for and we could have a really interesting movie.

Ultimately, my advice for the studio would be to play it safe: keep it light-hearted. Stick to what works. But I would love to see a deep, dark Knight Rider on the big screen.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:41 pm

EdwardKnoxII wrote:I don't think the X-Men and Hulk movies were really reinventions because they weren't reinventing shows they were just bringing hit comic books to the big screen.
I'm not familiar with the X-Men comic book; my understanding is that the moive was pretty true to the comic.

The Hulk TV series was very different from the comic book. The movie went back towards the comic book somewhat, but it did reinvent the origins and characters in many ways. I would classify Hulk as being re-invented twice: once for TV, once for the movie. (not to mention all the times Hulk was reinvented within the comic book genre intself: sometimes he's smart, sometimes he's not even green.)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:57 pm

I'm not familiar with the X-Men comic book; my understanding is that the moive was pretty true to the comic.
I'm a huge X-Men comic book fan and the movie was very true to the comic.

[/quote]
The Hulk TV series was very different from the comic book. The movie went back towards the comic book somewhat, but it did reinvent the origins and characters in many ways. I would classify Hulk as being re-invented twice: once for TV, once for the movie. (not to mention all the times Hulk was reinvented within the comic book genre intself: sometimes he's smart, sometimes he's not even green.)

Yeah the movie was more or less true to the comic from what I've read about the Hulk comic (I don't really follow the Hulk comic like I do X-Men.) I guess I didn't really think the movie reinvented it the way that the TV show did to the Hulk.

BTW, hear are some great websites about the comic books. X-Men: http://users.rcn.com/kateshort/faqs/racmxFAQ/

Hulk: http://www.hulklibrary.com/hulk/home/home.asp

shawn757
Volunteer

Post by shawn757 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:57 pm

Why did they wait so long to make this movie? They should have done this like 10 years ago when DH was much younger.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:03 am

Because at the time, Hasselhoff was concentrating on Baywatch, and they had just come off the Made For TV Movie kick.

KI

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:52 am

Actually David has been trying to make Knight Rider for 9 years. The first time I had heard him talking about making a feature film out of it was back in 1995. The problem is He wanted creative control and to do that He had to own the film rights. Universal wouldn't sell him the rights. He didn't achieve that goal until mid to late 2000. Since then He's been shopping the idea around to studios. Revolution bought the pitch and the rest is still becoming history.

shawn757
Volunteer

Post by shawn757 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:20 pm

So does this mean Glen Larson won't have creative control of the new Knight rider? 1995 would have been Great. At that time EM was still alive right?

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:24 pm

David and Glen are working together. Yes Edward Mulhare was alive in 95 He didn't pass away until 97.

The Real Michael Knight
Operative

Post by The Real Michael Knight » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:22 pm

Well, they could birng Devon back in the movie. They could find an Edward Mulhare look-a-like. *shrugs*

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:36 pm

And be in horribly poor taste, and disrespectful to the man's memory, acting legacy and career, as well as his family.

KI